As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

You think this letter on my head stands for [Awesome Moments]?! NSF56K

• Options
    KeiosKeios Registered User regular
    Although now I realise that given the title of the thread, maybe I should have gone with Else Bloodstone's "VICTIM? VICTIM?! DO YOU THINK THIS LETTER ON MY CHEST STANDS FOR AMERICA?!"

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    VermisVermis Registered User regular
    There are no D-list characters, only D-list writers. Just needs the right ones (and maybe artists) to use the potential of Marvel's Godzilla.

Apart from the time Marvel had Godzilla.

And not like 70's Godzilla.

And drop the underpants.

No, not in that way.

rulksig.jpg
  • Options
    KeiosKeios Registered User regular
    Could be worse, could be Roland Emmerich's Godzilla.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    herojoeherojoe IndianapolisRegistered User regular
    Vermis wrote:
    There are no D-list characters, only D-list writers.

I'd agree with that. But general public awareness of characters is how I look at the A-List, B-List, etc.

steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Vermis wrote:
    There are no D-list characters, only D-list writers. Just needs the right ones (and maybe artists) to use the potential of Marvel's Godzilla.

Apart from the time Marvel had Godzilla.

And not like 70's Godzilla.

And drop the underpants.

No, not in that way.
    D-List doesn't mean quality of characters, dude

it is about how popular they are

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    VermisVermis Registered User regular
    Well then.

They've got D-list popularity because they're usually lumped with bad writers. ;)

rulksig.jpg
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    I'm torn on whether I want to see Spider-Man crush someone's skull.

• Options
    DessartDessart Registered User regular
    I'm torn on whether I want to see Spider-Man crush someone's skull.

You do, trust me

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    semi-oldie but goodie in time for the Australian Open:

spidermanpeterparker53b.jpg

TexiKen on
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Rules of the game is one of my favorite mini arcs ever! Friends don't keep secrets and secrets don't keep friends!

( Also Texiken, you avatar tricked me, I used to watch for simpsons/community scenes that matched your new av/sig, and I got NO Santa' little helper puppies last night, none, zero, I cried!)

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    "Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Was just going to post that.

Love that it's Scarlet Spider.

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    yessssssssssss

• Options
    Good, clever stuff. When Peter comes home from school Venom just tackles him trying to to permanently bond, making dead snowmen out of webbing, Doc Ock as Calvin's Dad, maybe another collection would be titled "Battleworld Ho!"

• Options
    RedDeliciousRedDelicious Registered User regular
    She_Hulk_and_Wolverine_by_MarvelGirlIV.jpg

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Fantastic.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Forgive the poor quality of the scan but the idea of someone being pummeled to death by their significant other tickled me.

EvilMaryMarvel.jpg

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Stumbled across this. It made me laugh.

jokersorderrh9.jpg

I think it's his use of the word 'cephalopod' that gets me.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    powerpuff-girls-avengers-mashup.jpg?f2df00

MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    ....what.

• Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    So, I found some Guy Gardner comics in a dollar bin.

Holy shit.

Never have I been more convinced that making Guy Gardner a more well-rounded, sympathetic character, was a huge mistake. He's infinitely more entertaining as a giant asshole.

From Guy Gardner #1;
    tkO7P.jpg

sD9mV.jpg

That's just three of the first four pages. And there's so much I love.

There's the, "WHAM, BAM, Thank you ma'am!" sound effect joke in the first two panels.

The bottle labeled "Love Oil."

The fact that Guy Gardner: Reborn was apparently a thing.

"The new Guy Gardner does his cleaning the manly way! With his fists!"

"-- a nice, steady throb of ring-power!"

The fact that this is all taking place in the 1992 version of Times Square.

And there's so much more.

Guy leaves Ice for two floozies, right before getting a sleazy, Seussian manager.

Then Superman has a conversation with a grey-templed Hal Jordan, about how Guy may be corrupted by the power of Sinestro's yellow ring, and might have to be stopped by force. Hilarious.

Later, it's revealed that Guy spends his free time hanging out with his childhood hero, General Glory, and getting a stern talking-to about his conduct.

Oh, and then this happens;
    2t4je.jpg

kkaEJ.jpg

And what was the name of the Guy Gardner letter column?

m13On.jpg

Fuuuuuck yes.

Munch on
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    That's beautiful.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Love Guy Gardner

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
  • Options
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    That Guy Gardner scan is pretty great, but it does make me want to read Guy Gardner Warrior again. When he quit having a power ring, and he could turn all his body parts into guns. Even his penis. Except for the times where he turned into a woman. Then his va-jay-jay turned into a gun.

• Options
    That is quite the post you've made there.

• Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    Is that the Human Torch singing Friday?! Bahahahahaha.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    The great thing about that beginning of the Guy Gardner series Munch posted is that there was a mini series (Guy Gardner Reborn) by the same creative team that set up Guy with the Sinestro ring, which also included beating up John and working with Lobo on Qward.

This was just a great scene from it, where Guy revels in being the Judas of the GLC:

guygardnerreborn3guyjudas.jpg

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Guy Gardner is a douche, but what can you expect from somebody who went to Michigan? I have always liked the look of his uniform, with the coat, though.

Anyway, that Torch/Spidey scene is funny ("NO!") but the Friday thing already seems sort of dated, it's not going to look real good in a trade in 2-3 years.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Gaslight wrote: »
    Guy Gardner is a douche, but what can you expect from somebody who went to Michigan? I have always liked the look of his uniform, with the coat, though.

Anyway, that Torch/Spidey scene is funny ("NO!") but the Friday thing already seems sort of dated, it's not going to look real good in a trade in 2-3 years.

But the whole point is that Johnny is catching up to pop culture because he's been dead

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Man, Cajun Spicy Ranch Doritos sound awesome.

...that's what I took from the pages, anyway.

• Options
    Turambar wrote: »

But the whole point is that Johnny is catching up to pop culture because he's been dead

Yeah. But having all the pop culture he's catching up on be from the one relatively narrow, specific period where he was dead in "real time" is going to date the book down the line.

These things are just sort of a pet peeve of mine, and I'm probably more sensitive to it right now because the other day I read a an issue of Waid's Fantastic Four run where Johnny makes some lustful reference to Britney Spears and I just cringed.

• Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    Timeless pop culture is an oxymoron.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular

Dazzler disagrees!

• Options

Good thing I never said anything about "timeless pop culture."

I would rather comics avoided specific pop culture references as much as possible in general.

• Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular

I would rather comics avoided specific pop culture references as much as possible in general.
    Yeah. But having all the pop culture he's catching up on be from the one relatively narrow, specific period where he was dead in "real time" is going to date the book down the line.

If the pop culture exists outside of a specific period of time, then it's timeless.

• Options
    edited March 2012

If the pop culture exists outside of a specific period of time, then it's timeless.

They could have just referred to him wanting to find out who won the Super Bowl while he was gone or whatever. But instead they say it was the Packers and Steelers playing in the Super Bowl. Again, too specific. But that's no big deal, the Friday thing is way worse because it's like the very definition of a stupid, 15-minutes-of-fame flash pop culture phenomenon which we won't ever think of in ten years unless VH1 is doing another round of those "I love the (blank)" shows.

The first comics I ever read were yellowed, decaying stuff from the 60's which had belonged to my mom and her uncles as children. I would unearth them from the attic when I went to visit my grandma. Those books were three decades or more old at the time and I didn't have any trouble relating to or enjoying them. Except, that is, for the few I came across which I thought were ridiculous and lame, the ones where they thought they'd be clever by working in stuff from the pop culture of that era, such as an issue where (I swear this is real, I remember it clearly) comedian Jerry Lewis somehow puts on Superman's costume and villains mistake him for the real thing. But if I have a kid who's born this year and ten years from now he's reading some of my old comics and he comes across the Friday joke, as amusing as it is to us now, my kid is going to have no clue what it's about. That's what bothers me. If there is such a thing as timeless pop culture, comics may be it (pardon me if I'm getting sentimental here). But I feel like there's this seldom-voiced unease in the industry that maybe people think comics are old-fashioned or something and so there's a need to prove that they're hip and and "for today" by doing stuff like throwing in more references to other contemporary pop culture and often as not it totally backfires.

Alright, getting off my soapbox now.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    Since comic book universes get rebooted ever few years I wouldn't worry about "dating" the books via pop culture references.

This discussion has been closed.