As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

You think this letter on my head stands for [Awesome Moments]?! NSF56K

• Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    Hensler wrote: »
    Stuff

Quiet! This is a happy place.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Hawkeye's parachute bouquet arrow is the greatest arrow he ever made

Oh look, Wanda is sad

better cheer her up with this arrow that shoots a bouquet of flowers into her lap!

It's like every problem Hawkeye ever comes across leads to him thinking "I need an arrow for this..."

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    did they come back in new 52 costumes to show that they where adults?

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    tumblr_m438ucOKqM1qc9xlzo1_500.jpg

So I saw this on tumblr and of course there's no citation or anything I can find...

Is this real? What comic is it in?

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    I pray to god that isn't real

• Options
    it kind of looks real to me

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Haha the best Hawkeye arrow is definitely "Parachute Bouquet".

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    Well, that scene looks familiar but I don't think that's the original text. I tried Googling it, only to find out Thor has quite the following on some very disturbing erotic message boards. Wow.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    That is not real you guys are super gullible considering that is pretty a word-for-word Thorization of Captain Hammer's bit from Dr. Horrible

the original scene has Thor and Iron Man talking about how Stark fucked up in Civil War

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Well yeah, I thought it was a reference!

• Options
    You thought they actually made a comic where Thor taps Tony on the chest with his hammer and then says "the hammer is my dick"

C'mon Centi

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I don't know how Bendis thinks! He's crazy!

• Options
    That is from Invincible Iron Man which is by Fraction

YOU'RE GETTING SLOPPY, CENTIPEDE. SEE ME IN MY OFFICE.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    You have an office?

• Options
    I have an alleyway.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    That is from Invincible Iron Man which is by Fraction

YOU'RE GETTING SLOPPY, CENTIPEDE. SEE ME IN MY OFFICE.

That's a weird edit of that scene.
    this is the one from IIM
    smgGR.jpg

UltimateInferno on
    "Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Options
    I know that is why I said it wasn't real

YOU GET IN MY OFFICE TOO

FUCK IT EVERYONE IN MY OFFICE

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Blank are you living in this alleyway?

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    I know that is why I said it wasn't real

YOU GET IN MY OFFICE TOO

FUCK IT EVERYONE IN MY OFFICE

God dammit. I'm getting into trouble without actually doing anything. It's like highschool all over again.

• Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    So, Nick Bradshaw's kind of blowing up right now, due to his work on Wolverine and the X-Men. But, I was first exposed to his work back in 2006, on a Wildstorm series, the appropriately titled Rokkin.

Written by Andy Hartnell, pencilled by Bradshaw, and inked and colored by Jim Charalampidis, Rokkin tells the story of Arness, a talented butcher, who lives in a medieval fantasy land.

2pewz.jpg
    Though adored by his neighbors, he's a simple, humble man, whose only real desire is to marry his lady, and give her the things she deserves.

IHosD.jpg

..home.

In order to meet his goal, he works by day as a butcher, and by night as a woodsman, gathering lumber for the warrior, Rothian. But, one evening, he is called upon to assist Rothian with a new job, one that promises greater rewards.

XoAOB.jpg

Wait, Grizzlok? What's a--

NwhYQ.jpg

-- oh.

After using his knowledge of animal anatomy to handily disembowel the demon-bear, Arness is rewarded with jewels, enough to give his wife a ring, marry her, and relocate them far away from the evil encroaching on the land.

Unfortunately, he doesn't do it quite fast enough. On the day they plan to disembark, Arness leaves the village to gather supplies, and returns to find it a smoking ruin, his wife missing. Caught unaware, he's bludgeoned into submission, enslaved by the armies of Lord Vulmax, and put to work building a fortress.

9Ejco.jpg

As it turns out, slavery is really good for building your core strength.

My scanner tends to wash out colors a bit, which means I have to fiddle with the brightness and contrast a bit. So, these images don't really do the book justice. I'm going to continue recapping the series, over the next few days, but if your local store has a good selection of back issues, try to find this book. Hartnell's script is a bit dry and formulaic at times, but as the series goes on, it loosens up a bit, with more modernisms injected into the fantasy lingo.

Bradshaw and Charalampidis' work is fantastic, though. The whole book looks like the most beautiful, violent movie, Disney never made. The creature designs are particularly fantastic, from the Grizzlok, to various giants and fantasy races, that show up later on in the series.

Munch on
  • Options
    well, that looks awesome

• Options
    True story: I bought the first issue, due entirely to the cover. When you see a guy literally waist-deep in enemies, you know you're in for a good time.

F0QSa.jpg

Unfortunately, the published issue actually didn't feature a wraparound cover.

• Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    Oh yeah, I have to track that down now.

• Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

Wheel of Pain, anyone?

But seriously, that is some impressive artwork.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    It does look like a super charged version of Aladdin mixed with Mulan.

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Here's a short story from the 2006 DC Comics Holiday Special to get us in the mood for Secret Superman. The comic it comes from is 70 pages long, so the excerpt is just a small fraction of the holiday goodness contained therein.
    62-1.jpg

63-1.jpg

64-1.jpg

65-1.jpg

66-1.jpg

67-1.jpg

68-1.jpg

69-1.jpg

70-1.jpg

71-1.jpg

I wish DC and Marvel would release trades of their holiday specials, because they're always full of sappiness and humor.
    That last panel has to be the best punchline ever. I was rolling on the floor.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    I finished reading the JLA/Avengers trade today, and I thought this was a cool scene:

2187735-superman__2_.jpg

I also liked the Captain America versus Prometheus scene after Prometheus downloaded Batman's moves and thought that would be enough to take on Cap. And the scene where Green Arrow and Hawkeye are back to back after being competitive the whole series.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Ahhh man I hadn't seen that whole Bat-Santa thing.

I like that it's completely definitely in context.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    tumblr_m4e5yhuIkr1r7ni1io1_1280.jpg

This is the JLA kids equivalent of "the last time you really inspired anyone -- was when you were dead"

• Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    Munch wrote: »
    So, Nick Bradshaw's kind of blowing up right now, due to his work on Wolverine and the X-Men. But, I was first exposed to his work back in 2006, on a Wildstorm series, the appropriately titled Rokkin.

Written by Andy Hartnell, pencilled by Bradshaw, and inked and colored by Jim Charalampidis, Rokkin tells the story of Arness, a talented butcher, who lives in a medieval fantasy land.

2pewz.jpg
    Though adored by his neighbors, he's a simple, humble man, whose only real desire is to marry his lady, and give her the things she deserves.

IHosD.jpg

..home.

In order to meet his goal, he works by day as a butcher, and by night as a woodsman, gathering lumber for the warrior, Rothian. But, one evening, he is called upon to assist Rothian with a new job, one that promises greater rewards.

XoAOB.jpg

Wait, Grizzlok? What's a--

NwhYQ.jpg

-- oh.

After using his knowledge of animal anatomy to handily disembowel the demon-bear, Arness is rewarded with jewels, enough to give his wife a ring, marry her, and relocate them far away from the evil encroaching on the land.

Unfortunately, he doesn't do it quite fast enough. On the day they plan to disembark, Arness leaves the village to gather supplies, and returns to find it a smoking ruin, his wife missing. Caught unaware, he's bludgeoned into submission, enslaved by the armies of Lord Vulmax, and put to work building a fortress.

9Ejco.jpg

My scanner tends to wash out colors a bit, which means I have to fiddle with the brightness and contrast a bit. So, these images don't really do the book justice. I'm going to continue recapping the series, over the next few days, but if your local store has a good selection of back issues, try to find this book. Hartnell's script is a bit dry and formulaic at times, but as the series goes on, it loosens up a bit, with more modernisms injected into the fantasy lingo.

Bradshaw and Charalampidis' work is fantastic, though. The whole book looks like the most beautiful, violent movie, Disney never made. The creature designs are particularly fantastic, from the Grizzlok, to various giants and fantasy races, that show up later on in the series.

He lives here in Moncton. I had a nice chat with him on free comic book day as he's trying to see about getting a comic con organized for here next year and even met his folks. The guy is really nice.

desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    I grew up on reading the All Star Squadron and I always thought this was an awesome scene:

AllStarSquadron_1680.jpg

I loved the Crisis on Infinite Earths series, but hated what it did to All Star Squadron.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    you know, I never really read the 80's all star squadron

always meant to

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    ArrynArryn Ask not the Innkeeper For destiny is thy name!Registered User regular
    All-Star had some really great moments; I still recall the Dr. Fate origin issue as being one of my all-time favorites. The Ian Karkull issue where they explain why the JSA never seemed to age; the first story arc with Dr. Mid-nite and co. where heroes are disappearing left and right; the introduction of Amazing Man and the fight against Real American and the Klan.

Good times.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    On the other hand, with the Crisis, when Roy Thomas was still trying to make it work we had this scene originally:

splash-allstarsquadron-60a.jpg

And after the Crisis, when the big guns were moved squarely and solely into the modern era, and Thomas was able to use the Freedom Fighters (which I believe he wasn't able to do with the first pic), it became this:

splash-allstarsquadron-60b.jpg

In fact, although I had some comics as a kid, which my mom would always throw out after a while, this is the first comic I picked up when i was in high school that started my comic collecting craze:

All-Star+Squadron+007+A.JPG

I still remember reading it for the first time and falling in love with the Shining Knight. He's still a favorite of mine.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    As a matter of fact... I remember an awesome moment, but cannot find the name or issue of the comic book it came from. Way back in the early 80's, when I was a kid, we used to go to a Food Lion grocery store, and I would sit and read comics while my mom shopped. I read one of those supernatural mystery books like House of Secrets or House of Mystery (although it could have been something else) and it had a story of a vampire and werewolf who were fighting in a swamp or the forest and stumbled upon a cabin. They proceeded to tear each other up until they were both dying and exhausted. And that's when the person who lived in the cabin revealed he was a ghoul and was going to eat them both. I have never been able to find out what that comic was, but it was pretty awesome to my 11 year old mind.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    I don't know about that one, but here's a similar idea, from Curse of the Weird #2, a book Marvel used to reprint 1970's horror comics, during the 90's.

Basically, a clan of vampires are talking about how their leader's the biggest badass around. Well, except for the Beast-Man. That dude's way scarier. Then they abduct a fat, bald guy.

zWQol.jpg

What a twist!
    I enjoyed this one, too.

1ZBVe.jpg

D9DI1.jpg

That's the one galaxy that Galactus just doesn't fuck with.

• Options
    I really wish my local comics shop still had their old building, with a basement full of comics from every era just overflowing everywhere. I would love to pick up some old 70's and 80's comics.

I would love to replace those old Rom, White Tiger and Moon Knight comics my mom threw out.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Those planets look creepy as fuck

• Options
    edited May 2012
    tumblr_m4l8qeQX2M1rw6hzpo1_1280.png

Thanos Quest #1

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options