As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

You think this letter on my head stands for [Awesome Moments]?! NSF56K

• Options
    MetalMagusMetalMagus Too Serious Registered User regular
    A vampire is already undead, as is a zombie. A combination of the two would cancel each other out, making it alive, and therefore exceptionally easy to kill.

Your logic might be applicable if we weren't looking at Morbius - The LIVING Vampire!

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    MetalMagus makes a good point!

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    My zombie math is superior to yours in every way.

• Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    A vampire is already undead, as is a zombie. A combination of the two would cancel each other out, making it alive, and therefore exceptionally easy to kill.

Thpoilerrrrrth.
    He is immediately after staked in the chest and killed. Before he was a "living vampire" and therefore not susceptible to things like stakes, garlic, etc. By becoming a zombie vampire, he immediately took on all the weaknesses of normal vampires.

He had just enough time to gloat, before dying.

Here's something from Killer of Demons #2, by Chris Yost and Scott Wegener. It's a cool little story about a guy who believes he's the only man on Earth who can see, and kill, demons who hide among humanity. Much of the story's about him questioning his own sanity, and wondering if he's not actually killing slews of innocent people, as he's suffering from paranoid delusions.
    At this point, he's firmly convinced he's crazy, and has checked himself into a psychiatric hospital, where most of the staff also seem to be demons. His only companion is the one angel who's allowed on Earth, a wisecracking cherub.

P0GcK.jpg

H4ioN.jpg

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    My zombie math is vindicated in a roundabout way, I can live with this.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    That is 31 flavors of creepy.

• Options
    sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    I'm not sure this is quite the right place to post this, but I just read (well, last night) Black Panther: The Deadliest of the Species after getting the HC from Hastings for $4. I have not been a fan of much of Reggie Hudlin's... career basically. However! I enjoyed the HC. It was good enough to not hit the bitching thread, (I'm not horrendously picky though) and I enjoyed his portrayal of the relationship of BP's mother with various folks, plus random characters who were not super-cool, super-lame, whatever. There is a brief scene that I enjoyed that I may post when I get home (if I remember). Anyway, if you can get it for (basically) nothing, it's fine!

Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    Munch wrote: »
    At this point, he's firmly convinced he's crazy, and has checked himself into a psychiatric hospital, where most of the staff also seem to be demons. His only companion is the one angel who's allowed on Earth, a wisecracking cherub.

P0GcK.jpg

H4ioN.jpg

Does he turn out to actually be just some crazy dude, or is he really killing demons?

• Options
    Hensler wrote: »
    Does he turn out to actually be just some crazy dude, or is he really killing demons?
    To answer your question in an oblique way.

mKDaq.jpg

Seriously, it's fun book, just go buy it. Only three over-sized issues long, but it's interesting to see the guy who's made his name drawing Atomic Robo, doing a book with all kinds of ninja strippers, succubi, demons, and gory murders.

Chris Yost's murder-heavy style, which I hated when applied to Marvel characters, actually works really well in a creator-owned book, where I have no preconceived attachment or familiarity with the characters. And much like Layman and Guillory's Chew, the violent nature of the material is tempered, when paired with the exaggerated, cartoon-y art style.

• Options
    So I just found out that this exists today:

detail.jpg

• Options
    VermisVermis Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    He is immediately after staked in the chest and killed. Before he was a "living vampire" and therefore not susceptible to things like stakes

Whut

Vermis on
    rulksig.jpg
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    hahahaha

ahahahahahaha

• Options
    And then there was the time that Thor and Hercules broke a mountain while arm-wrestling over who would get to fight the god of the underworld.

1939695-hercules_vs_thor___arm_wrestling_in__222_next_page_panel_01.jpg
    1939696-hercules_vs_thor___arm_wrestling_thor__400_page_color.jpg

From Thor #222, by Gerry Conway and John Buscema.

Man I love comic books.

• Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    91908_v1.jpg

• Options
    that What If? is incredible.

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    I feel like I've eaten a whole BOX of bran!

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    From Secret Six #23 by John Ostrander and RB Silva; the Six have been taken to a remote island, where they're to be hunted by bored rich guys, wearing power suits.

aiPZl.jpg

xcs7M.jpg

mc1wo.jpg

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    It's not often a man gets beaten to death with his own arm, but the rarity is probably what makes it so enjoyable.

• Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    I love bane

but moreso I love john ostrander

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    I love bane

but moreso I love john ostrander

When he was first introduced I thought he was the worst. Like Batman's own private Doomsday.

Then he became AWESOME.

• Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    bane was great from the start

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    whoa whoa

"mister president"

president of which small nation should we be assuming

• Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    Holy snap, that What If!? with Galactus was written by Sholly Fisch... in 1988!

I had no idea the dude was that old. He was also vice president of Sesame/Children's Television Workshop for awhile! Holy smokes!

• Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    Had to post this after it came up when I googled Sholly Fisch.

tumblr_lr01coN3jf1qbujox.gif

• Options
    91908_v1.jpg

huh?

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    91908_v1.jpg

huh?

I'm kind of confused as to why you would drain the mixed vegetables, if you're just going to put the vegetable liquid back in the same pot of soup.

• Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    91908_v1.jpg

huh?

I'm kind of confused as to why you would drain the mixed vegetables, if you're just going to put the vegetable liquid back in the same pot of soup.

The joke is that the vegetable soup has beef in it - I'm guessing Asgardians don't go for vegetarianism in a big way...

• Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    M-Vickers wrote: »
    91908_v1.jpg

huh?

The joke is that the vegetable soup has beef in it - I'm guessing Asgardians don't go for vegetarianism in a big way...

Ding!

At least, that is what caught my attention. It is not unusual to have vegtable soup + meat, at least it didn't used to be... *fade to flashback of the 80's*

• Options
    edited July 2012
    I didn't get a chance to post anything from this when it came out, but basically every single page of Chew: Secret Agent Poyo, could be in this thread.
    When we last saw Poyo, he'd been unleashed on a malevolent dictator's forces, annihilating them and saving Tony Chu, but not before being shot to pieces.

This issue opens with a disturbance in Hell, and Satan leading his legions against the trouble-maker. The result?

nXu2W.jpg

Revived as a cyborg, Poyo is dispatched to England, to assist in overthrowing a mad scientist, who specializes in the science of ranapuliva; the study of the phenomenon in which animals rain from the sky.

But, before he can subdue the mad scientist, Poyo is struck with the ranapuliva-ray, and hurtled into the sky, along with dozens of other unfortunate farm animals. All seems lost.

g1lCe.jpg

I don't want to spoil it, but things don't end well for the mad scientist.

If you've ever been curious about Chew, give this one a shot. It doesn't have the nice character moments and ever-escalating stakes of the main series, but it nicely conveys the sense of humor and tone that Layman and Guillory deliver, every month.

Munch on
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    Damn. I forgot to pick that up.

• Options
    M-Vickers wrote: »
    91908_v1.jpg

huh?

Ah, okay - my vegetable soup usually has chicken, so I didn't catch that :D.

• Options
    so I just read Superman: Kryptonite by Darwyn Cooke, and I've got to say, I think it's possibly the most overlooked Superman story. I loved it.

here's one pretty great page:

superman_pg14_1000.jpg

• Options
    I really love Tim Sale's artwork.

It's too bad most of his notable works, were done with Jeph Loeb,

Though, I still think Long Halloween is pretty excellent, and Superman For All Seasons is extremely solid.

• Options
    Daredevil Yellow was pretty good, I thought

but yeah, love Sale.

• Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    I really love Tim Sale's artwork.

It's too bad most of his notable works, were done with Jeph Loeb,

This, so much.

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    The Long Halloween and For All Seasons are both terrific and nothing will ever change that.

• Options
    Gaslight wrote: »
    The Long Halloween and For All Seasons are both terrific and nothing will ever change that.

ehhhhhhh

ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

For All Seasons, yeah

The Long Halloween spoilers
    it has the typical Loeb mystery problem where there are no hints as to what the real answer is and multiple red herrings

stuff like Dent saying there were two holiday killers when there were three, etc

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Antimatter wrote: »

ehhhhhhh

For All Seasons, yeah

it has the typical Loeb mystery problem where there are no hints as to what the real answer is and multiple red herrings

stuff like Dent saying there were two holiday killers when there were three, etc
    Yeah, the resolution to the mystery is pretty much impossible to foresee. None of the clues point to it, they're all red herrings. From a technical storytelling standpoint that's probably a flaw, but it's part of what makes it great when you first read it. It totally catches you off guard. The problem is Loeb writing every mystery story since this way.

The real value of the comic is that the noir/mystery/gangster story mood is captured perfectly, even if you don't think the resolution is that wonderful.

My only real beef with TLH is the digression with Poison Ivy in the middle which just...adds nothing to the story, it's like total filler/stalling and even on first read I was like, "What is the point of this???"

Gaslight on
  • Options
    Antimatter wrote: »

ehhhhhhh

For All Seasons, yeah

Yeah, the resolution to the mystery is pretty much impossible to foresee. None of the clues point to it, they're all red herrings. From a technical storytelling standpoint that's probably a flaw, but it's part of what makes it great when you first read it. It totally catches you off guard. The problem is Loeb writing every mystery story since this way.

The real value of the comic is that the noir/mystery/gangster story mood is captured perfectly, even if you don't think the resolution is that wonderful.

My only real beef with TLH is the digression with Poison Ivy in the middle which just...adds nothing to the story, it's like total filler/stalling and even on first read I was like, "What is the point of this???"
    I do so love the tone of TLH and at the first read I did like that, but it is a technical flaw.

As for your beef, boobs. Boobs is the point. Can't have exclusively Catwoman cheesecake.

This discussion has been closed.