As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Someone activated a Zune on my 360?

TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The DjinneratorAt the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
edited December 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Today I received an email that struck me as rather strange:

Your Zune activation on Xbox

Congratulations on activating Zune(R) on your Xbox(R). As a valued Zune
customer, we hope you're enjoying your new Zune experience on your
Xbox. Now that Zune is everywhere you are, we've outlined some useful info below to help you make the
most of it.

The thing is, I have a 360, and I have a Zune. I've never plugged one into the other. As a matter of fact, I haven't connected my Zune to a computer at all in the last four months, so I sure didn't 'activate' my Zune on my 360 at all. There's not much information to be had in the email about who to contact about this stuff, but it makes it sound rather suspicious to me, as if someone else were using my 360 Gold account. I'm not entirely sure what actions to take, beyond changing my password for Live.

Does anyone have any insight?

TetraNitroCubane on

• Options
    MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2009
    they probably put in your email address by accident when they did it

or it's a phishing scheme

I wouldn't worry about it unless you clicked on any links from the email. If you did, I'd check them for authenticity, and then forget about it.

I get stuff like this all the time to my 'monoxide' account on gmail because it's a single dictionary word, and a lot of people use variations of it. I just click the "Unsubscribe"/"This is Not Me" link if there is one and then trash it.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    May it have something to do with the fact that the Video Marketplace is now called Zune Somethingorother?

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    It probably is something phishing related. I did click a 'support' link without thinking (God I'm stupid), but I'm running on OS X in Opera with javascript disabled. I didn't put in any login details, though. Still makes me nervous.

The domain they keep pointing toward is 'email.zune.net', which, after I've calmed down, looks almost certainly to be illegitimate. They point toward that domain

Well, I changed my password immediately afterward, just in case. Never thought Phishing might be so convincing, or that I'd be such a dupe.

Thanks for the guidance, Monoxide.

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    JRoseyJRosey Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I got this today and I don't have a zune. I did however use the video marketplace on my 360, and I just chalked it up to that being the cause.

JRosey on
  • Options
    ZeonZeon Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Zune.net is the official microsoft zune site. email.zune.net gives a message that looks like a redirect validation so you probably should be ok.

Zeon on
    btworbanner.jpg
    Check out my band, click the banner.
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2009
    the video marketplace on 360 is now called just 'Zune', so just going into it activates it

FyreWulff on