Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Boxing [Chat]!

1666768697072»

Posts

  • OrganichuOrganichu jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    Lots of dudes want a girl who is 'one of the dudes' and 'lets me be myself' and stuff like that

    I dunno

    I find that unattractive

    Sure I want to be accepted depsite my peculiarities, and I don't want to always walk on egg shells and hold in farts and stuff

    But I do like me some romance and mystery and gushing

    These ideas seem unconnected.

    You know that women can have complex personalities just like real people can, right?

    You are not understanding what I'm trying to express.

    Organichu on
  • SpeakerSpeaker Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Speaker wrote: »
    So It Goes wrote: »
    i just want to publish books!

    How does one even get into that? I thought about it but I had no idea where to even start. I'd love to be an editor.

    I got an internship with a small publishing house near my university. Some houses offer unpaid internships where you serve as the 'first line of defense' against unsolicited manuscripts.

    Do you get to write soul crushing response letters?

    No, but I do get to write 1-2 page reports for the editors, recommending rejection or that the editor take a closer look. I take 15 or so minutes to write the report, and usually by the first 10 pages or so I know if its shit or not. I do love rejecting someone's life work. People pour their hearts into manuscripts and they all suck!

    although if someone sends in a query (20 or so pages of a manuscript with a cover letter) I get to post them a pre-printed rejection postcard. It's awesome.

    You're a stone cold bitch Eddy.

    Keep on rocking in the free world.

    Night chatters.

    Speaker on
    Being walkers with the dawn and morning,
    Walkers with the sun and morning, we are not afraid of night,
    Nor days of gloom, nor darkness -
    Being walkers with the sun and morning.
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Speaker wrote: »
    So It Goes wrote: »
    i just want to publish books!

    How does one even get into that? I thought about it but I had no idea where to even start. I'd love to be an editor.

    I got an internship with a small publishing house near my university. Some houses offer unpaid internships where you serve as the 'first line of defense' against unsolicited manuscripts.

    Do you get to write soul crushing response letters?

    No, but I do get to write 1-2 page reports for the editors, recommending rejection or that the editor take a closer look. I take 15 or so minutes to write the report, and usually by the first 10 pages or so I know if its shit or not. I do love rejecting someone's life work. People pour their hearts into manuscripts and they all suck!

    although if someone sends in a query (20 or so pages of a manuscript with a cover letter) I get to post them a pre-printed rejection postcard. It's awesome.

    So your job is 10% paperwork and 90% schadenfreude?

    moniker on
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited December 2009
    Bloodsport, last 15 minutes, on Versus.

    Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Speaker wrote: »
    So It Goes wrote: »
    i just want to publish books!
    How does one even get into that? I thought about it but I had no idea where to even start. I'd love to be an editor.
    I got an internship with a small publishing house near my university. Some houses offer unpaid internships where you serve as the 'first line of defense' against unsolicited manuscripts.
    Do you get to write soul crushing response letters?
    There was actually an article about that in The Stranger a couple weeks ago.

    I'm pretty sure it's just a C&P.

    Dear Recipient,

    Your novel was bad, and you should feel bad. At first it was difficult to imagine that the plodding pace of your 1000 page testament to human futility was merely the lesser of many evils, but soon your god-awful diction and the absolute absence of anything resembling normal English grammar or syntax convinced me that things would only get worse. By the end of your seemingly unending work, I had developed cataracts, some kind of super-migraine, and rectal cancer. I'm uncertain, but I think I may also have glaucoma. The doctors tell me I have only months to live, but I am glad. The sweet, sweet abyss of Death is the only succor I have in a world broken into pieces by your soul-crushingly terrible prose. Undoubtedly you are now wondering why I even bothered to send you this reply to your submission, given my impending demise. Allow me to inform you that an envelope was suggested to me as the best delivery system for a powdered form of weaponized smallpox. I have burned your manuscript. God willing, the disease will carry you off before you can complete another.

    Sincerely,
    Casual Eddy.

    Alecthar on
  • Dr Mario KartDr Mario Kart Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    Lots of dudes want a girl who is 'one of the dudes' and 'lets me be myself' and stuff like that

    I dunno

    I find that unattractive

    Sure I want to be accepted depsite my peculiarities, and I don't want to always walk on egg shells and hold in farts and stuff

    But I do like me some romance and mystery and gushing

    These ideas seem unconnected.

    You know that women can have complex personalities just like real people can, right?
    haha, no

    Dr Mario Kart on
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy Don't despair. Not even over the fact that you don't despair.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Speaker wrote: »
    So It Goes wrote: »
    i just want to publish books!
    How does one even get into that? I thought about it but I had no idea where to even start. I'd love to be an editor.
    I got an internship with a small publishing house near my university. Some houses offer unpaid internships where you serve as the 'first line of defense' against unsolicited manuscripts.
    Do you get to write soul crushing response letters?
    There was actually an article about that in The Stranger a couple weeks ago.

    I'm pretty sure it's just a C&P.

    it depends. if the editor is friends with the person or someone connected to the author, they will take a few minutes and make some comments. Nothing too in depth though. They may also verbally inform the agent. A lot of manuscripts are dealt with through an agent so the author wouldn't be sent one directly.

    the interns do actually have access to several templates of rejection letters, which we fill in the necessary info (name of the author, name of the work, date and address), print it out, and then the editor will read the first 5 or so pages of the manuscript and then sign the rejection letter we printed. We usually do this for shitty manuscripts or stuff written by nobodies

    Casual Eddy on
    Elki wrote: »

    Casual Eddy: best poster 2014.
    tyrannus wrote: »
    Casual Eddy: best poster of 2015

    gotta update that stuff man
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar Audio Game Developer Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Organichu wrote: »
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    Lots of dudes want a girl who is 'one of the dudes' and 'lets me be myself' and stuff like that

    I dunno

    I find that unattractive

    Sure I want to be accepted depsite my peculiarities, and I don't want to always walk on egg shells and hold in farts and stuff

    But I do like me some romance and mystery and gushing

    These ideas seem unconnected.

    You know that women can have complex personalities just like real people can, right?

    You are not understanding what I'm trying to express.

    You are not writing what you want to express OR do not realize the nature of what you want to express.

    Incenjucar on
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Elki wrote: »
    Bloodsport, last 15 minutes, on Versus.

    best movie ever!

    Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Turns out the best way to deal with angst is not to talk about possible other desirable careers OR go on craigslist.

    So It Goes on
  • _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009
    Organichu wrote: »
    Lots of dudes want a girl who is 'one of the dudes' and 'lets me be myself' and stuff like that

    I dunno

    I find that unattractive

    Sure I want to be accepted depsite my peculiarities, and I don't want to always walk on egg shells and hold in farts and stuff

    But I do like me some romance and mystery and gushing

    I enjoy girls who are "one of the guys" as opposed to being "completely incapable of hanging out with my friends".

    _J_ on
  • HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1926747

    this actually seems really funny

    I know it's Micheal Cera as sexless teenage boy but that's not all he plays

    Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • VariableVariable Ted Hitler Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    yes hakks that looks good. saw the commercial today.

    Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1926747

    this actually seems really funny

    I know it's Micheal Cera as sexless teenage boy but that's not all he plays

    Yes it is! :x

    Cinders on
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited December 2009
    Okay start it back up

    Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited December 2009
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Turns out the best way to deal with angst is not to talk about possible other desirable careers OR go on craigslist.

    How about going on craigslist to find other possible desirable careers?

    Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
This discussion has been closed.