As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Might and Magic RPGs: where should I start?

lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
edited December 2009 in Games and Technology
So I bought the MM RPGs number 1-6 off of GoG. When I was younger I missed out on these, playing more Bard's Tale and D&D based RPGs, I guess. I think I played 6 and 7 from a compilation a while ago and liked them well enough.

I'm sure I want to play 4&5 just because the ads for these always attracted my attention back in the day. Which of the earlier ones are considered good enough to play even now?

steam_sig.png
(Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
lowlylowlycook on

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    4, 5, and 6 hold up really well in that classic RPG way. The first three are probably a bit too classic.

admanb on
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Be a man and start from 1.

I remember playing that on my Commodore 64, beating it, and getting a code to mail in. Mailed it in and they sent me a certificate with a congratulations and sneak preview information all about the new Might & Magic that was coming out next. Those were the days...

Esh on
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Start at 6. 6-8 use the same engine and same UI, and they hold up well enough. 1-5...I couldn't stomach.

Tcheldor on
    League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    3, 4 and 5 are all great and the "core" of what people think of when they think M&M. 6 took it 3D but was still good, 7 was wonderful and 8 was terrible. 9 does not exist. do not mention it.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    edited December 2009
    Psh 8 was not terrible. You could have a party with 4 dragons that were overpowered and DRAGONS...also I liked 8.

7 was awesome and my first M&M. 9.................................................................................................we ignore.

Tcheldor on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    If 6 & 7 had not existed I probably would give 8 more credit but eh. 4 dragons does not make up for an ancient engine, bad story and all the other plethora of problems the game had.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    ArghyArghy Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Wait i bought HoM&M5 because it was like 2$ on steam--your telling me theres 9 out??? shit i thought 5 was recent haha.

Arghy on
    Ask me about the holocaust.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Noooooo

We're talking about Might & Magic proper. The RPG. Not the turn based strategy that spawned from it.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I've only really played 6 and upwards, but even they don't hold up that well, in my opinion.

Kinda simple, weirdly constructed (the geometry/progression rarely makes any sense), more hack 'n' slashy than even Diablo, etc. It should be noted that they are totally worth playing for their rocking soundtracks alone, especially 7.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Arghy wrote: »
    Wait i bought HoM&M5 because it was like 2$ on steam--your telling me theres 9 out??? shit i thought 5 was recent haha.

This makes me feel old.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Speaking of Heroes of Might and Magic, I noticed that Steam has HM&M 5 marked down right now in a bundle with a couple expansions. Worth picking up? I never played 5 but I heard it was pretty buggy at release. Did they ever patch in some bug fixes and stabilize the game?

I have very fond memories from my childhood playing Heroes 2 and 3.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    PasteePastee Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Played Might and Magic 1 & 2 on my old C64. Really fun games, but they don't really hold up well. I went back to "relive the memories" on Gametap, and found I couldn't get into either of them.

M&M 3 was awesome for the time, and I think it's still on par with World of Xeen.

6 wasn't bad, but I liked 7 alot more. Never played 8 or 9.

So my recommendation would be 3, 4, 5, then 7.

You should be pretty burned out by that point 8-)

Pastee on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Is it 4-5 that make up World of Xeen or 5 and 6?

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

4 & 5

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    edited December 2009

4 & 5

And Swords Of Xeen folds into it as well.

Esh on
  • Options
    DrakmathusDrakmathus Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    swords of xeen is horrifying. Don't play swords of xeen. 3-8 are quality. I like 2 but that's just me. 9 is a joke. pretend it doesn't exist.

Drakmathus on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Drakmathus wrote: »
    swords of xeen is horrifying. Don't play swords of xeen. 3-8 are quality. I like 2 but that's just me. 9 is a joke. pretend it doesn't exist.

How so? I played World (Clouds/Darkside) Of Xeen but before Swords was released.

Esh on
  • Options
    ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    What's wrong with 9? (I've never played any of the MoM games)

Impersonator on
  • Options
    Squidget0Squidget0 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I played 7 back in the day and enjoyed it, but never tried any of the others. Is it worth finding a copy of 6 or 8 if I want a similar experience?

Squidget0 on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

Everything if you've ever played the classics of the series (1-5).

Esh on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Squidget0 wrote: »
    I played 7 back in the day and enjoyed it, but never tried any of the others. Is it worth finding a copy of 6 or 8 if I want a similar experience?

yes.

Tcheldor on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Esh wrote: »

Everything if you've ever played the classics of the series (1-5).

What if I haven't? People keep telling others to skip 9 but don't really say why. :?

Impersonator on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    it was released early on the last day of a fiscal quarter so that 3do could keep its stock up for another month. It was buggy as all get out, is not related to the rest of the series via plot/story and uses the half life engine. It was BAD.

Drakmathus on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    The HL engine? Color me interested.

edit: Aw, it's apparently the Lithtech 1.5 engine, from Monolith, the makers of Blood and Shogo among lots of other games.

edit2: Good god, this looks ugly as sin. http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/might-and-magic-ix/screenshots/gameShotId,25267/

Impersonator on
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    World of Xeen is the high point of the series.

1 and 2 are near impossible to play nowadays, the interface is just plain bad.

3 is playable, and decent looking, but still a tad inaccessable.

4+5 (World of Xeen) is pretty much perfection.

A: The interface is somewhat easy to understand, though lacking in some of the things that most modern RPG interfaces allow (equipment comparison, for example).

B: It's PRETTY. This is the peak of the 2D era, and so it's just beautiful. Colorful, detailed, easy to understand.

C: It's relatively easy early on, allowing you to figure out the interface without too much danger. The difficulty ramps up VERY fast once you reach Darkside, however.

6 and 7 I found were nigh unplayable. Coming from Xeen, the interface was changed completely, the turn based combat was pretty much unplayable they way they implemented it, leading to very many deaths due to real time combat being sucky as well. I didn't bother going past the first dungeon in either game, so they could have improved later on, but I wouldn't know.

it was released early on the last day of a fiscal quarter so that 3do could keep its stock up for another month. It was buggy as all get out, is not related to the rest of the series via plot/story and uses the half life engine. It was BAD.

SOMEWHAT MAJOR SPOILERS FOR 1-5 WITHIN.
    As I remember it, 1-5 (The Sheltem Saga or what have you, where a group of adventurers in each game goes and fucks up Sheltem's plans with Corak's help until Darkside, where Corak self destructs, taking Sheltem with him) and the later games are entirely unrelated.

Also, 6-8 I don't think were related in any way either, after reading plot summaries after saying "Fuck it" to the games.

It pretty much hit the fan after Xeen, as far as I'm concerned.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    6 is interesting, but it seems like a pretty good example of how not to do 3D, open worldish games. The thing is an enormous kitefest, and it throws way too damn many enemies at you. There were fights that I could only beat by abusing Town Portal.

jothki on
  • Options
    NoxyNoxy Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I played 6 first but went back and played the others. After playing through 6 again a few months ago because of the nastalgia, I still loved it. The only time I ever had trouble with combat was when I first started the game and ran into a huge camp of goblins while I had no idea what I was doing.

I have not played anything past 6 but the Xeen games and 6 were great in my opinion. Also, if you played Heroes of Might and Magic 2 and liked it, there are some characters from the main storyline in 6.

The first Might and Magic is near unplayable in comparison to the others. You can do it, but it is torture after having played modern RPGs.

Noxy on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    MechMantis wrote: »

SOMEWHAT MAJOR SPOILERS FOR 1-5 WITHIN.
    As I remember it, 1-5 (The Sheltem Saga or what have you, where a group of adventurers in each game goes and fucks up Sheltem's plans with Corak's help until Darkside, where Corak self destructs, taking Sheltem with him) and the later games are entirely unrelated.

Also, 6-8 I don't think were related in any way either, after reading plot summaries after saying "Fuck it" to the games.

It pretty much hit the fan after Xeen, as far as I'm concerned.

6-8 MAJOR spoiLLLERRSSS
    in mm7 the group from mm3 found an ancient ship and flew it to Enroth (mm6-8). they split into two factions and fight over what to do with the ancients' tech. if the good guys win, enroth gets reconnected with the ancients' network of transporters while if the bad guys win, they take over the world. MM8 takes place way to the north and another ancient robot (escaton) is set on destroying the world as it has been infested by the kreegans. the group you play as basically stop him.

Drakmathus on
  • Options
    Squidget0Squidget0 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Man, reading that spoiler, I hope playing the other games doesn't cause the storyline of MM7 to make sense. My favorite part of MM7 was the sheer ridiculousness of the ending:
    How you're battling fantasy monsters through the whole game, and then you're suddenly on a spaceship killing robots with laser cannons so you can steal the Oscillation Overthruster and conquer the galaxy. Most random twist ever.

Squidget0 on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    spoiler that mang.
    all the mm games are about advanced worlds that fall into barbarism. all of them except 8 (and maybe 9 I havent played that) have a high tech ending

Drakmathus on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Squidget0 wrote: »
    Man, reading that spoiler, I hope playing the other games doesn't cause the storyline of MM7 to make sense. My favorite part of MM7 was the sheer ridiculousness of the ending:
    How you're battling fantasy monsters through the whole game, and then you're suddenly on a spaceship killing robots with laser cannons so you can steal the Oscillation Overthruster. Most random twist ever.

That's pretty much how all the games turn out.

jothki on
  • Options
    EndomaticEndomatic Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes on the DS is different, but fucking phenomenal.

Probably not relevant to the current discussion, but it fucking should be.

Endomatic on