As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sherlock Holmes wears a fedora

• Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    about to go see this with the family

Tam on
  • Options
    SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    It was a little ridiculous to have them advertise Sherlock Holmes right before the movie started

'shit, that looks great! I should go see it'

Squall on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    "I'm already here! Fuck, that's good advertising!"

Tam on
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Fiz wrote: »
    Saw this last week and really enjoyed it. I almost forgot which movie I was there for because there were 20 minutes of previews, including one for Sherlock Holmes. That one confused me.

when I saw hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy, they started a trailer that was basically the hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy trailer and I was like "what"

and then it was a chicken little trailer

Man, I remember that. I was about to start digging in my pocket for my ticket stub when the chicken showed up.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited January 2010
    Squall wrote: »
    It was a little ridiculous to have them advertise Sherlock Holmes right before the movie started

well look at it this way, you could go in there not knowing what movie you're going to see and they play the sherlock holmes trailer

and you're like "holy shit I really want to see that! when's it out?"

and then it starts playing and you're like :mrgreen:

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    AMP'd wrote: »
    Hot Tub Time Machine looks like some guys thought "The Hangover was hilarious, we should do it again but with time travel"

the hilarious part is that the central plot device is ripped out of an episode of Harvey Birdman

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    AMP'd wrote: »
    Hot Tub Time Machine looks like some guys thought "The Hangover was hilarious, we should do it again but with time travel"

the hilarious part is that the central plot device is ripped out of an episode of Harvey Birdman

That's not really that hilarious

BusterK on
    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    was nice to see his mastery of disguises as well
    I was actually expecting a bit more of this from the trailer. At the scene with
    "Does your depravity know no bounds?" Watson is looking down at the fortuneteller woman. Watching the trailers, I thought that the hair we saw in the corner of that shot was actually Holmes in disguise and crossdressing, with the "No." spliced in from another part of the film. That both clips were actually in the same scene as portrayed was a bit of a surprise.

SabreMau on
  • Options
    BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The one bit there was really fooled me

BusterK on
    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Squall wrote: »

Reminds me of the anti-piracy ads on DVDs

"You wouldn't steal a car. So why would you steal a movie?"

1) It's a fucking car and not a movie
    2) I obviously bought the damn DVD

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    DryghtenDryghten Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    BusterK wrote: »
    Maggie Gyllenhaal probably would have been better but man
    It was already a lot like Batman

And yes I know that's because Batman stole everything from Sherlock Holmes

Maggie Gyllenhaal looks like a foot.

Dryghten on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Also, I am really looking forward to Hot Tub Machine. From what I understand they are making fun of John Cusack's shitty 80's movies that got him started.

Dryghten on
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Dryghten wrote: »
    Maggie Gyllenhaal probably would have been better but man
    It was already a lot like Batman

And yes I know that's because Batman stole everything from Sherlock Holmes

Maggie Gyllenhaal looks like a foot.

no you're thinking of Sarah Jessica Parker

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Dryghten wrote: »
    Also, I am really looking forward to Hot Tub Machine. From what I understand they are making fun of John Cusack's shitty 80's movies that got him started.

They aren't shitty at all, you fucking fucker!!!

sorry, i just get really defensive about cusack's 80s movies. if you didn't like better off dead, you have no soul

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Cusack's redeeming roles are Being John Malkovich and Con-Air.

I liked better off dead, but some of the movies were just... man.

Dryghten on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Say Anything is a classic!

A CLASSIC!

Bloods End on
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    High Fidelity fo life

YaYa on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited January 2010
    1408 and High Fidelity would both count prrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrobably!

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    MonkeyfeetMonkeyfeet Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I liked Grosse Point

Basically Cusack kicks ass

Monkeyfeet on
    sig1.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I will see anything with John Cusack in it, simply because, at the very least, the parts with John Cusack will be entertaining

This does not apply to War, Inc. and we will not speak of it

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    this movie is a riotous good time

Tam on
  • Options
    RAGE.RAGE. Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    is it wrong that I want to see Hot Tub Time Machine

It really strikes me as one of those movies that showed all the funniest parts in the trailer.

RAGE. on
  • Options
    zimfanzimfan Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I love John Cusack

he's great

zimfan on
    PasscodeSig.png
  • Options
    FizFiz Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Nicolas Cage looks so horribly out of place in the previews for Sorcerer's Apprentice. I know directors like to use the same people in their projects, but that doesn't mean it is a good idea.

Using Johnny Depp is always a good idea. Hot damn. Damn hot.

Fiz on
    juggcat.jpg
  • Options
    Darkness MundusDarkness Mundus Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    My brother said Cusack was a step up from Cage the other day. That made me sad. Cusack is like one of my favorite actors, and High Fidelity is my favorite movie.

Martian Child is adorable!

Darkness Mundus on
  • Options
    zimfanzimfan Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Darkness Mundus is pretty correct right there

zimfan on
    PasscodeSig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Nicolas Cage looks so horribly out of place in the previews for Sorcerer's Apprentice. I know directors like to use the same people in their projects, but that doesn't mean it is a good idea.

Alice in Wonderland looks horrible though

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    FizFiz Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Alice in Wonderland looks horrible though

Well that is because it is Alice in Wonderland. That story is weird.

Fiz on
    juggcat.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Also because Alice can't even get top billing. It's Alice in Wonderland, starring Johnny Depp.

SabreMau on
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    No, it's Through the Looking Glass, starring Johnny Depp

Straightzi on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I'm relatively sure the title is Alice in Wonderland

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Through the Looking Glass had Alice play with her cat and then go through a mirror to reach the looking-glass world (not Wonderland). This movie has her falling down a rabbit hole to reach what is specifically identified as Wonderland. The existence of Tweedledum and Tweedledee in Wonderland is actually inaccurate; they never appeared in Wonderland, only in the looking-glass world. The Mad Hatter and the March Hare may be in the latter in some form as Hatta and Haigha, but Alice doesn't recognize them and they don't recognize her, so they could merely be alternate-world counterparts.

SabreMau on
  • Options
    RAGE.RAGE. Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    If you guys are going into this assuming that it's going to be at all close to the original works then you are guaranteed not to enjoy it. I mean, it's probably going to be terrible, so I guess it doesn't matter.

RAGE. on
  • Options
    MonkeyfeetMonkeyfeet Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The newest trailer pretty much indicates that it is its own story.

That doesn't mean it won't suck, because it probably will. But all demands for accuracy are dampened

Monkeyfeet on
    sig1.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I liked the Disney version of Alice in Wonderland
    It was a very succinct telling of a rather meandering story
    Same with Peter Pan

BusterK on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    SabreMau wrote: »
    Through the Looking Glass had Alice play with her cat and then go through a mirror to reach the looking-glass world (not Wonderland). This movie has her falling down a rabbit hole to reach what is specifically identified as Wonderland. The existence of Tweedledum and Tweedledee in Wonderland is actually inaccurate; they never appeared in Wonderland, only in the looking-glass world. The Mad Hatter and the March Hare may be in the latter in some form as Hatta and Haigha, but Alice doesn't recognize them and they don't recognize her, so they could merely be alternate-world counterparts.

Lit Nerd :P

Like pretty much every film adapation of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass they are taking the two books and the two worlds and slamming them together. The Red Queen in the movie is basically the Queen of Hearts and the Red Queen fused into one character, etc.

And the Mad Hatter and the March Hare are definitely Hatta and Haigha if you look at the art. The personalities match up and Alice thinks she recognizes them if I recall.

Anyway, the movie looks fucking awful so who cares anyway.

Edit: BusterK: What? No. Hell no. Disney's Peter Pan guts the entire point out of the novel.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    The point of the book seems to be you have to stay a child but you also have to grow up and Peter occasionally kills off lost boys when they get too old

BusterK on
  • Options
    I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell UpI'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The point of the book seems to be you have to stay a child but you also have to grow up and Peter occasionally kills off lost boys when they get too old

I think what inquisitor is trying to say is that all Peter Pan movies are incomplete without Dante Basco

I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The Alice In Wonderland movie is taking place as a sequel to both books

That way they are free to slap those elements together as they wish

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I am all Tim Burtoned out

Balefuego on