As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Teaching a dog to play with toys

ZekZek Registered User regular
edited December 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So I adopted a dog at 2 years old, and they tell me he was an outside dog for a while before he was brought in. So he has almost no interest in dog toys, won't play fetch and rarely chews on anything - it seems like a combination of not knowing what to do with them and being afraid to pick them up. I've tried using peanut butter but all he does is lick it off. Anybody have any other tips for teaching a dog to chew on toys?

p.s. Bonus Pic: http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/4566/1227091452.jpg

Zek on

• Options
    ElinElin Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Some dogs don't play, even raised in a loving home. My dog doesn't really play, and doesn't like to be off leash. He just wants me to walk him on leash a lot. He will chase a cat toy on a string though, but that didn't start until I had him for almost 6 months.

Elin on
    Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Well, the first question I suppose you'll have to answer is: Well what is he doing with his free time?

Most people would be crazy about a dog that doesn't chew on stuff, though.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2009
    My dog was really physical, he never wanted to fetch or just gnaw on stuff, but he liked to wrestle and play tug of war. Is he skittish? Does he get over excited? If hes not, I'd try to just sorta get him active with a playful bout of petting and puppy-like wrestling and bring the toys into that.

Iruka on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    When he's bored he pretty much just bugs me for attention, his only hobby is going on walks. It would mainly be nice to be able to keep him preoccupied in the house or get more exercise in less time. He certainly won't play tug of war, you can hold stuff in his face all day long but he won't put it in his mouth.

Zek on
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Silver lining. Your shoes are safe!

CelestialBadger on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Yeah, some dogs just aren't into them. Mine has 4 modes, Sleep, Eat, Pet me pet me pet me, and Take me for a walk. If you try to get her interested in a toy she just looks at it like "That's not a hot dog. Why are you showing it to me?"

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    nukanuka What are circles? Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    My dog doesn't play often either, but she loves little soccer ball dog toys and this little hedgehog thing we gave her. We just keep buying those when the old ones get bad. All she ever wants is to sit on your lap and your undying attention.
    Your dog probably just wants to play outside, so take him out as often as you can.

nuka on
    DS: 2667 5365 3193 | 2DS: 2852-8590-3716
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2009
    My dog never entertained himself. If I wasn't playing with him, he wasn't playing. Still, I had to make up some in house games for him and I to play so I didn't have to trek the neighborhood constantly. Look for articles like these for ideas on games, but basically you should just challenge him a bit. You may have to bribe him into it a bit with treats.

If the dog doesn't want to play in solitude, don't be surprised if never does. You'll probably have to put some energy into it.

Iruka on
  • Options
    KistraKistra Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    If you just want to keep him occupied what about a bone? Go to a local butcher and buy a section of beef femur bone that is too big for your dog to put entirely in his mouth and ask them to leave a little bit of meat on it. Skip your dog's dinner one night and give him the bone (in his crate or in the kitchen - he will likely be very messy with his first bone).

If that icks you out there are also sterilized white bones filled with cheese or peanut butter that are wonderful for keeping dogs busy and enticing them to chew. Most dogs still like the bones once they are empty, but if your dog doesn't you can refill the hollow bones with kibble soaked in water or canned dog food and freeze them.

There are also kibble dispensing toys that would get your dog interacting with them in order to eat.

How long ago did you adopt your dog? It can take a long time (think 6 months) for dogs to completely settle into a new environment. You may find that as he relaxes and gets used to your and your household he may start being more playful. Also, as said some dogs just don't see the point in toys. If you think your dog falls into this category you may have more luck teaching him toyless "games" like you leaving him in a stay and hiding his food bowl and sending him to go find it.

As for exercise - a 2 year old dog is around physical and social maturity and won't need as much physical exercise as a young puppy. You can do a lot of tiring out by mental exercise (training) instead so you don't have to walk the dog for hours.

Kistra on
    Animal Crossing: City Folk Lissa in Filmore 3179-9580-0076
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Zek wrote: »
    When he's bored he pretty much just bugs me for attention, his only hobby is going on walks. It would mainly be nice to be able to keep him preoccupied in the house or get more exercise in less time. He certainly won't play tug of war, you can hold stuff in his face all day long but he won't put it in his mouth.

Well, another question is: What does he do when you're not at home?

If he spends his time freaking out, tearing up the place, and howling at the moon, he probably needs to be crate trained and taught how to entertain himself while you're gone.

On the other hand, if he just hangs out in the back yard or whatever, you just have a dog that isn't interested in playing.

On a related note, It just seems to me like teaching a dog to chew on stuff just isn't a good idea. If anything, he's going to end up chewing up your sneakers just for the attention he craves rather than the methods he's using now.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    illigillig Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    have you tried the kong?

http://www.kongcompany.com/worlds_best.html

it's a very simple food dispensing toy.. fill it with peanut butter, wet dog food (and freeze it), or large pieces of biscuits, and your dog will play with it for at least 30 min getting the food out...

our dog sometimes gets her entire meal that way - especially if the weather is bad and she's bored indoors

illig on
  • Options
    SkimblecatSkimblecat Victoria BCRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I used to work at my local SPCA and we would occasionally see this in dogs that had never had toys before. Some eventually learn to play, others never seem to - a dog usually needs to feel safe and comfortable before playing so if you haven't had him long it might take a while (months). Also, try different types of toys - my dog was 2 when I adopted her and she likes kongs, balls, and 1 specific stuffy - everything else she ignores and she is afraid of squeeky toys or anything stick-like.

As others have suggested, try food-related items such meaty bones, kongs with treats, food dispensing toys, etc

Skimblecat on
    Enforcer
    PAX Prime Security Team Lead
    PAX Dev Security Manager
  • Options
    Greg343Greg343 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    On a related note, It just seems to me like teaching a dog to chew on stuff just isn't a good idea. If anything, he's going to end up chewing up your sneakers just for the attention he craves rather than the methods he's using now.

You do know that most grown dogs don't have much a propensity to chew on stuff right? It pretty much goes away when all the teeth come in.

To op; I got a lab from a kennel after I already had a bichon frise, and it took her awhile to comprehend ball. I think she learned from watching koko run after it. Do you know anyone else with a dog? Maybe you could try to teach her to play by have her play with other dogs.

To Kistra; I've heard that actual bones can splinter, is that not true?

Greg343 on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Greg343 wrote: »

You do know that most grown dogs don't have much a propensity to chew on stuff right? It pretty much goes away when all the teeth come in.

Uh. Yeah. That's why it's my opinion that teaching him to chew stuff is pretty much useless and probably setting him up for bad habits.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    SkimblecatSkimblecat Victoria BCRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Chewing for adult dogs is soothing and a way to get rid of anxious or nervous energy.

As for the meaty bones - raw (NEVER cooked) large animal bones are fine for chewing. Cooked bones splinter.

Skimblecat on
    Enforcer
    PAX Prime Security Team Lead
    PAX Dev Security Manager
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    With my pup (9 months) playing with toys never tires him as much as playing with other dogs or going for long walks. We mostly play as a different way to give him attention (oh how they crave attention). We started using toys as a way to teach him not to chew on us.

Dogs are pretty physical and when they're still in their nest the main way of playing is chewing on each other. When you get them and they want to play, they play with you the same way they did with their brothers and sisters. Unfortunately human skin is less hairy (unless you're Premier Kakos) than a dog's, so their biting actually hurts. That's why we taught him to chew on toys instead.

If your dog already doesn't chew on you when playful then I don't see why you'd need to spend a small fortune on toys. Give her a big bone (for a dog her size you'd need something the size of your upper arm I think) so they have something tasty to chew on that will last longer than her cookies.

Playing fetch is fun, though. Does she run with you if you start running? My dog almost freaks out when I start running. Good exercise for both the dog and you.

Aldo on
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    yea most dogs just laze about when at home. ours someties will chew on her bones uninitiated but thats really it. she isn't a player dog, more of a i want ot just be touching you dog

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Werewolf GamerWerewolf Gamer Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    We adopted a German Shepherd last Jan. We were her fourth home and it didn't seem like she knew what the toys were either. On occasion she might chew up one my girls toys but it's not often and usually we can pinpoint a reason. We're not home and there's a storm, or it was a Happy meal toy (that probably still smelled like the food etc.)
    It took a few weeks but she did learn to like tennis balls and we got one of those fuzzy style chew toys. She chews on it but doesn't tear it up. She just isn't into toys that much.
    She'd rather chase the cat or sleep during the day. In the evening she'll hang out and play with me and my girls.
    As long as your dog is happy and isn't getting bored or destroying your house, just be flexible.
    Kudos on adopting too by the way!

Werewolf Gamer on
  • Options
    UncleChetUncleChet N00b Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'm right there in this thread too. We just adopted a 5 yo male shephard after our dog of 14 years died. He's just plain not in to toys. We're trying, but it's only been a few days with him and we're all still getting our routines and roles established. My last dog was a toy nut, he was into anything and everything that squeeked moo'd or quacked.

UncleChet on
    I'm sometimes grumpy and random, feel free to overlook the strange man in the corner.
  • Options
    joslundjoslund Registered User new member
    "You do know that most grown dogs don't have much a propensity to chew on stuff right? It pretty much goes away when all the teeth come in."

It's true the the "all I can think about is chewing!!!!" drive subsides in dogs after teething, but chewing is something every dog needs in their life unless their owner is actually brushing their teeth daily. Chewing on a raw bone (Raw bones are not prone to splintering, but cooked bones are. Think of a chicken wing. When it's raw it's elastic and easy for your dog to chew. Once it's cooked, it's rigid and easily splinters. That said, raw femur bones are for recreational chewing. Your dog shouldn't be ingesting the bone, just gnawing on the outside meat and the marrow. Take the bone away when the dog starts trying to break it open.) is especially great for teeth because of the enzymes in the meat that will help reduce plaque and make the environment of the mouth more acidic and less bacteria friendly. Dogs also get endorphins when chewing, so if your dog isn't playing because of anxiety, this could aid with stress relief.

This discussion has been closed.