As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Last Day of the [STEAM] Sale - Disappointing

übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
edited January 2010 in Games and Technology
steamlogom.png

WHAT IS STEAM?

20041015h.jpg

Except that this has all been resolved now, and pretty much every major publisher has many or most of their games up on Steam, the fast, free digital distribution platform that lets you download the best PC games in your underpants, while serving you demos, trailers, slightly-delayed patches, and the like.

WHAT'S NEW WITH STEAM?

The Steam Holiday Sale is live and going until January 3rd.
Great deals have come and gone, so keep checking back at noon each day for the next set of one day sales.
AUSTRALIANS!!!!

You need this program.

It reconfigures your Windows IPSEC settings (run it as an admin) to block out all but the servers which don't count towards your download quota on Steam. Now supports a bunch of ISPs through a graphical interface.

Basically guarantees you won't add to your download quota with Steam.

Check the Steam News page for all your Steam... news.

PENNY ARCADE + STEAM = COOKED PENNY ARCADE?

No, PA + Steam = awesome. First of all, you've got this thread. In this thread we talk about new Steam releases (what's worth buying, what isn't, what's on sale, etc). We also do other cool stuff, like check prices in US DOLLARS for LewieP of games that don't have anything to do with Steam, or get off on tangents about puppies or DRM! Sometimes, this place is like one giant thread for PC gaming and Steam goes and sits in a corner downloading an update to Day of Defeat: Source.

Second: Here is the Penny Arcade Steam Group! Someone reading this thread ought to be able to invite you, as long as you can provide your SteamID. The group is basically useless but it would be ludicrous not to have a Penny Arcade presence on the coolest digital distribution system this side of GoG.com! It actually IS helpful to join, because it identifies you as a Penny Arcader on the Internet and makes it easy from the PA forums who you friend to say "oh, right, I know this guy from the Steam thread." We're the most wangalicious group, too.

With such a cool service, someone must have done some extra things to build on it. The forums have one such man, who made some super cool Steam signatures. Suds is his name and killing is his game. Except for the killing. The signatures automatically use backgrounds for the games and the correct icon. Pretty neat, and they're 100% free! HE SAID HE WOULD KILL ME IF I DID NOT WRITE THIS OH GOD SAVE-You can also use a script on his Steam Calculator page to see how much your Steam account would be worth if you had taken advantage of some obscure, arcane combination of special deals that nobody could ever have taken advantage of. Or something sort of like that.

Sample signature:
camo_sig2.png

Also there are some Penny Arcade Steam Groups you may enjoy (this is only a sampling!):
Plain old Penny Arcade
PAX Forumers
Penny Arcade League
You get the idea. This Steam thread is not the place for these groups; they live in their own threads. For example, the Armed Assault PA Steam Group (PAJOE) is in the Armed Assault thread, whereas the Company of Heroes PA Steam Group is in the CoH thread, and so on.

Cool stuff on the Steam website:
Grand list of all price reductions. This is slightly obsolete now that the store has a "Sales" tab but it's still useful.
Steam skins to make it look less like army boot camp
Awesome stats
The store page in case you want to, you know, buy some games or something
Hejog wrote: »
You might want to add this page to the steam links section - a complete sortable list of every game on steam, the metacritic score, and if its on sale, the % its discounted by. Yes. http://steam.addhawk.net/

IF I BUY A GAME FOUR TIMES BECAUSE I'M STUPID CAN I GIFT THE EXTRA COPIES? WHAT IF I BUY A 2-PACK EVEN THOUGH I ALREADY OWN ONE OF THE GAMES?
You can't really do that. In almost every case, if you buy a Steam game, it's for you and you alone, even if you already own a copy somehow. If you want to give the game to someone else, buy it as a gift, not for you. Steam is a selfish service or a selfess service, but almost never both at once. Gift or buy, but do not combine!

I WANT TO REGISTER MY GAME ON STEAM BECAUSE STEAM IS SEXIER THAN MY WIFE
Good idea! Unfortunately Valve games are just about the only games that let you do it. If you want to see if you're lucky though, here's a list of games you can register on Steam. You can always add a non-Steam game to your Steam games list, so that people can see you playing it.

WHY DOESN'T NOVALOGIC SELL DELTA 4OURCE 5: ROID RAGIN' 'RINES IN MY HOME OF SOUTHERN BUTTCRACKISTAN?
Many Steam games might be unavailable in your country if you have the temerity to live outside of the United States. This is not Steam's fault. Regional game availability is determined solely by the publisher, who should be the source of your ire. In the meantime, America has lots of free space for immigrants.

MY STEAMS IS BORKED D:
Ampix wrote: »
LaCabra wrote: »
150KB/s :(

Download TCPview: TCPView

Then, use TCPview (run as admin if you're on Vista) to close all Steam TCP servers (this is important, NOT the UDP ones, just the TCP ones). Steam will then reconnect to a different server, which will hopefully get you a better speed. If you don't go faster in a couple of seconds, retry until you get a speed you like.

This shit totally needs to go into the OP, I've tipped this to so many people already.
Suds wrote: »
Holy shit! Left 4 Dead Sigs!

l4d_sig.png

Get yours now!

steamopedit.jpg

THE THREAD TITLE ALSO HAD "SOURCE" IN IT
Yeah, this is a great place to talk about Source mods and Source games. Source is the engine for Valve's Half-Life 2, and all that jazz is linked intimately to Steam, so you can bet that most people in here are pretty big fans of the Half-Life series and are willing to try out the newest mod that's been released or take a look at your Hammer map or something. This is the Valve thread just as much as it is the PC games thread. Post your favorite mods we might not have heard of! It's a great way to judge if there's any interest before making an entire thread.

adventureoflewiep.jpg

camo_sig.png
übergeek on

• Options
    HejogHejog Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    reading this awesome intro to Steam reminded me how sad I am that blizzard games are not on Steam.

you might want to add this page to the steam links section - a complete sortable list of every game on steam, the metacritic score, and if its on sale, the % its discounted by. Yes. http://steam.addhawk.net/

Hejog on
    steam: hejog / xbl name: Hejog1 / psn name: Hejog / omgponi.es / tweet
  • Options
    JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I like those comics. In your face, LewieP. In your fucking face.

Anyway, since my computer is ancient garbage, I could only take little advantage of the sales.

JJ on
  • Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Yeah I told Suds I was stealing his OP, there's only a few ways I can improve upon it, which I will do bit by bit over the next 100 pages.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Hejog wrote: »
    reading this awesome intro to Steam reminded me how sad I am that blizzard games are not on Steam.
    Blizzard seems pretty happy with their own digital distribution platform. AKA a website and Bittorrent.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    It is pretty awesome/funny how the last thread jumped to 100 within a few days simply because of this sale.

Steam is the best.

Icemopper on
  • Options
    ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Those LewieP comics will never get old.

Impersonator on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Whats funny is I know someone who bought zombie driver yesterday. I bet they are kicking themselves for not waiting now.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Day of Defeat:Source:Bought!
    Pre-Paid Debit card balance: 43c.
    Yay new thread

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    tardcoretardcore Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I need someone to give me one last push to purchase Killing Floor. My $9.99 circulating in this economy depends on your thoughts on the game. Go!

tardcore on
  • Options
    ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I love Killing Floor and just wish I had the money for it. If you haven't tried it you should, there are guest passes around.

It also plays amazingly well on an old pc.

Impersonator on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    So should I get bookworm adventures? Y/N?

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    While Ive never seen lewieP ask the price of a non steam game in the steam thread, you know its something he would do, like duck cocks are orange or something. Next comic transformation?

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    JJ wrote: »
    I like those comics. In your face, LewieP. In your fucking face.

Anyway, since my computer is ancient garbage, I could only take little advantage of the sales.

Pentium 4 1.8GHz, 256MB RAM, integrated video.

I just ordered a new videocard and a gig of RAM to actually be able to play all of the games I've bought over the past two days.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    Pajama_ManPajama_Man Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'd wait out a bit and see if it (Killing Floor) comes up cheaper as a daily deal.

Pajama_Man on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    tardcore wrote: »
    I need someone to give me one last push to purchase Killing Floor. My $9.99 circulating in this economy depends on your thoughts on the game. Go!

Want a guest pass?
    I love Killing Floor and just wish I had the money for it. If you haven't tried it you should, there are guest passes around.

Heck, I play it on my laptop. With an Intel GPU. And not that good of a GPU.

Drovek on
    steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'm waiting for the Steam sales tomorrow to wreck my shit. True story.

Xtarath on
  • Options
    RisenPhoenixRisenPhoenix SUPER HOTRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Xtarath wrote: »

I keep holding out for MW2 to be something less than $60, but I know that's the longest of longshots.

But I picked up DoD Source for a friend and ESS.TEA.EH.ELL.KAY.EEE.ARR on the cheap, so I can't be too whiney.

RisenPhoenix on
  • Options
    Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

I've got a couple guest passes, although I'll be trying to give one to Tardcore. If anyone else wants one PM me, first come first serve.

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I also have two Killing Floor guest passes that I would be happy to hand out when I stop raging over KOTOR and Republic Commando

Edit: Never mind, KOTOR's fine. I'm trying to get it to support widescreen resolution but the wiki over at widescreengaming.net says that I could run into issues with the Steam version. Did anyone who tried this with the steam version encounter any problems, or is it just like with the cd version?

pyromaniac221 on
    psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009

I keep holding out for MW2 to be something less than $60, but I know that's the longest of longshots.

But I picked up DoD Source for a friend and ESS.TEA.EH.ELL.KAY.EEE.ARR on the cheap, so I can't be too whiney.

I don't think it's gonna happen. Ever.
    and anyways, COD4 is better on both modes.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    guarguar Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I bought Braid a few days ago. It has the distinction of being the first game I've ever purchased via digital distribution. Maybe the last, I dunno.

Also, Braid is pretty fun.

guar on
  • Options
    TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    i bought your mum via digital distribution

TyrantCow on
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    guar wrote: »
    I bought Braid a few days ago. It has the distinction of being the first game I've ever purchased via digital distribution. Maybe the last, I dunno.

Was there something that happened to maybe make it your last?

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Well, thanks to whoever gave me a Killing Floor pass but it's just not for me.

Instead, I bought Zombie Driver on a whim and am surprisingly not thinking it sucks. Glad I held off for the $2.50 price point and gamepad support, though.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    a new steam thread already?

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Day of Defeat: Source is a pretty fun game, especially for 2.49.

reVerse on
  • Options
    victor_c26victor_c26 Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Just bought Dead Space and Zombie Driver.

My Games Tab and Backlog is increasing in size at a dramatic rate.

victor_c26 on
    It's been so long since I've posted here, I've removed my signature since most of what I had here were broken links. Shows over, you can carry on to the next post.
  • Options
    Wicked Uncle ErnieWicked Uncle Ernie Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    reVerse wrote: »

It's really fun with a group that uses their roles properly, pugs can be infuriating. Sniping is incredibly satisfying.

I grabbed Hearts of Iron 3......How much of my life did i just loose?

Wicked Uncle Ernie on
  • Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Either five years or five minutes, depending on if it's your thing

pyromaniac221 on
    psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    tardcoretardcore Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    ESS.TEA.EH.ELL.KAY.EEE.ARR

For some reason, that hurt my head.

tardcore on
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    tardcore wrote: »
    ESS.TEA.EH.ELL.KAY.EEE.ARR

For some reason, that hurt my head.

Also spells St<shrug>lker. Or possibly Stelker.

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

It's really fun with a group that uses their roles properly, pugs can be infuriating. Sniping is incredibly satisfying.

I was going to grab it, but maybe it's just me but for what looks like a game entirely made of icons, a textured map and menus and status screens, the system requirements are fucking bonkers ridiculous. Yeah I know to most people they can just scoff at them.

JJ on
  • Options
    guarguar Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    guar wrote: »

Was there something that happened to maybe make it your last?

No, I just prefer tangible copies of things.

Books, music, movies, vidja games.

guar on
  • Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I keep checking back on Steam, but I think I have everything I'd really want.

Games List:
    Gyromancer, World of Goo, Braid, Lumines, Machinarium, Torchlight, Osmos.

Can anyone recommend a game that's available on steam, isn't high-spec (got a mid-spec computer), isn't an FPS, is innovative, has an interesting theme or world, and doesn't suck?

The list above gives a decent approximation of my taste, though it's RPG-light (like the PC in general), and it's particularly SRPG-light, though I really dislike RTS games (they generally rely too much on reflexes and too little on planning).

Lucedes on
  • Options
    TorgoTorgo Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Plants vs. Zombies demo totally sold me on that game. Also, Hugo from Lost plays it and talked kindly of it on his blog.

Torgo on
    History is a spoiler for the future. (Me on Twitter)
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    JJ wrote: »

I was going to grab it, but maybe it's just me but for what looks like a game entirely made of icons, a textured map and menus and status screens, the system requirements are fucking bonkers ridiculous. Yeah I know to most people they can just scoff at them.

He's not kidding! What the fuck?
    Operating System: Microsoft® Windows® 2000/XP/Vista
    Processor: Intel Pentium IV 2.4 GHz or AMD 3500+ (quad core)
    Memory: 2 GB of RAM
    Hard Disk Space: 2 GB
    Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 or ATI Radeon X1900 videocard
    Sound: Direct X-compatible sound card
    DirectX®: Direct X 9.0

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Lucedes wrote: »

Games List:

Can anyone recommend a game that's available on steam, isn't high-spec (got a mid-spec computer), isn't an FPS, is innovative, has an interesting theme or world, and doesn't suck?

The list above gives a decent approximation of my taste, though it's RPG-light (like the PC in general), and it's particularly SRPG-light, though I really dislike RTS games (they generally rely too much on reflexes and too little on planning).

How's about:

Oddworld Pack for $2.49. Or any of the Introversion games.

Entriech on
  • Options
    SandersSanders Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Lucedes wrote: »

Games List:

People are probably getting sick of seeing it mentioned, but i've been playing the Trine demo more than any game i've purchased so far this sale (with the exception of defense grid).

Sanders on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2009
    TyrantCow wrote: »
    i bought your mum via digital distribution

I thought she was kind of overpriced.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2009
    Am I the only one waiting for The Path to hit $5 or less?

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
This discussion has been closed.