As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

GPU glitch, can I confirm the card is bad?

ScrubletScrublet Registered User regular
Setup, built in spring 06:
AMD 3700+ on Gigabyte board with some version of nforce chipset
XFX 7900 GT
Creative Audigy 2ZS
Hard drive, one cd burner
Enermax power supply more than capable of powering comp unless it has gone bad
Win XP Pro
Connected to TV via a DVI-HDMI adapter (DVI out on card to HDMI in on TV)

I've had an interesting issue for over half a year now. Often times when I start a game, at some point the screen will glitch out. I will try to get a picture on here later, but it just goes completely blank with some sort of flickering repetitive static image. The image will change in hue slightly if the actual game's graphics had changed (say from a dark screen to bright screen) but the image is completely separate. Alt-tabbing out of the game to Windows fixes the screen. Tabbing back into the game returns the game. Originally this fixed the problem, but recently the glitches keep coming back. The computer is basically unplayable.

Things I've tried:
Reinstall drivers (including uninstall, then install)
Copying the screen. The image is only bad on the output...mspaint gets the game image when I paste it
Playing the game using a VGA cable connected to an LCD monitor at 1280x1024. Same problem occurs with same frequency.

I don't know anyone with a PCI-e card I can swap in to confirm the video card has gone bad. It's obviously not the cable since it happens on the other monitor. I need a way to confirm that this is definitely the video card. I don't really have any gamer friends at my new city that I could get with to exchange video cards with to debug this. Any ideas?

subedii wrote: »
I hear PC gaming is huge off the coast of Somalia right now.

PSN: TheScrublet
Scrublet on

• autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Trivial, but did you try getting new drivers, or did you just reinstall the old ones
    what else it sounds like is vram overheating. try opening your case nad have a fan blow on the graphics card to check for that :P

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg