As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Leavin My Job

LardalishLardalish Registered User regular
edited March 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
EDIT: Im repurposing this thread since its on a similar topic.

December 2009: "My job is having to cut back on hours severely, to the point that I dont even have any this week. The manager said that I do still have a job but that he just doesnt have the hours to give me this week, maybe next week. So basically I will be working about half as much as what I was, and I was barely makin enough then. SO I need to find a new job. Ive never had to leave a job for another one before, I was kind of wondering what the protocol was.

I dont have any problem with where I am now except that I dont make enough and I have a pretty good reputation with them. Do I just tell them that I need to get more hours or Ill have to start looking for a job? I've heard horror stories of people saying things like that and just getting fired which while I am looking for a new job, I would like some income while I look. I would also like to find the best way so I can keep a good reputation with them so I can use them as references.

All in all, I just have never had to leave one job for another and I want to keep things professional and on good terms."

Ok, so after that happened we had like 3 cooks quit and my hours skyrocketed to where I was borderline overtime. That kept me content for a while but now student loans are coming up and I just dont make enough to pay those and keep livin, so Im going to get back out there and continue the search. Ill throw my new question into a post to bump the thread.

Lardalish on

• Options
    SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    On #2, staying safe yet being professional.

Start looking for a new job and don't tell your current boss if you're nervous about his/her reaction (or if you don't have a union). When you get an interview with any other place tell them you need 2 weeks to give notice to your current workplace if they decide to offer you a position (you can phrase it like "If possible, I would like two weeks notice so I can give my current employer proper notice.")

Once you get offered a position, give in your notice two weeks before you start your new position.

Sipex on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I wouldn't say a word to your current job while you look for another one. Then, if you get another one and have to quit suddenly, just do it.

Obviously, they have no compunctions about cutting you down hours without two weeks' warning, so I wouldn't worry about giving them two weeks notice unless it ends up being convenient for you.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I don't recommend he do the request two weeks notice thing for his former employers benefit, it's completely for him. It will allow him to use his current employer as a future reference and will let his new employer know he's responsible enough to give notice where due.

They might be testy if they find out he's just going to cut and run from his previous job...because if he does it once...who's to say he doesn't do it again?

Sipex on
  • Options
    eternalbleternalbl Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Sipex wrote: »
    I don't recommend he do the request two weeks notice thing for his former employers benefit, it's completely for him. It will allow him to use his current employer as a future reference and will let his new employer know he's responsible enough to give notice where due.

They might be testy if they find out he's just going to cut and run from his previous job...because if he does it once...who's to say he doesn't do it again?

It isn't like he doesn't have a good reason for leaving his current job. People change jobs all the time, it's not a big deal, but you will get the question 'Why are you leaving your current employment' which is a good opportunity for someone unprepared to shove their foot in their mouth.

eternalbl on
    eternalbl.png
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Look for a new job during the time that you aren't working your other job. Finding a new job is your new part time job.

When you do get another better offer, give your employer two weeks written notice.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    In general the heat thing is because the copper is more efficient at distributing heat, but using it at high heat may cause the metal to deform -- notably where it contacts the other metal in the pan. This is more of a problem on glass-top stoves where the pans work best if the bottom is completely flat. Here's an article talking about copper:

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Mauviel+Cookware+-+Why+Copper+in+Your+Kitchen-a01073952357

Apparently, also under high heat, copper is more likely to tarnish and look dull. I'm not sure who wants their cookware to look like it's never used, though...

Anyway, try it out under medium. If you find that it sucks, or simply doesn't get hot, try calling the company that makes your pans and asking them directly. Tell them the type of stove you have (glass-top, electric, whatever), and tell them that using their guidelines makes cooking take forever.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    ChalkbotChalkbot Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    As far as copper pots on electric stoves go, I have both. With my particular electric stove, the knob has heat settings numbered 1 to 10. I've noticed over the years that there really isn't a whole lot of difference between 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 or 10, it's really more like my stove has 2 heat settings. I use them on 10 all the time.

What they are actually warning you about (in a lot less words) is that with a pot made of two seperate metals, you have the potential that one (copper) heats and cools faster than the other, meaning it also expands and contracts quicker. How is that bad? Well if you heat up that pot too fast, the copper part will expand faster than the other portion and has the *potential* to pop off, meaning a hot metal disk is flying in a random direction. The same risk is present if you take the hot pan and run it under cold water. Don't do that.

To avoid this I simply put my pot on the burner while it's cold, turn it to the setting I want, and let it heat gradually instead of dropping in on a hot burner. If your electric stove heats instantly, you should just move up the dial 5, 8, 10 in increments to allow it to heat gradually. When you are done cooking, set it on a burner that is off and let it cool to room temperature before you throw it in the sink. That is really all you have to do.

Chalkbot on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Wow, fast responses.

Issue 1: yeah, deffinitely not a union thing, just a cook in a restaurant, but its my first job actually in the industry so I want it to end on good terms, you know? I do plan on hittin the pavement and just goin to restaurants in the area (Charlotte NC so Ive got a a ton of options) with resumes and such. So no mention of the job hunt to the bosses till the 2 weeks thing comes up? I think I can do that, especially with the reduced hours.

Issue 2: "You'll find that you can saute at lower heats, boil water and make sauces more efficiently, and you can use these pans in the oven, as well." Ok, awesome that sounds great. So Ill just have to test the waters, I plan on makin some pasta tonight so Ill see about this low temp boiling stuff.

Lardalish on
  • Options
    The Crowing OneThe Crowing One Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Lardalish wrote: »
    Wow, fast responses.

Issue 1: yeah, deffinitely not a union thing, just a cook in a restaurant, but its my first job actually in the industry so I want it to end on good terms, you know? I do plan on hittin the pavement and just goin to restaurants in the area (Charlotte NC so Ive got a a ton of options) with resumes and such. So no mention of the job hunt to the bosses till the 2 weeks thing comes up? I think I can do that, especially with the reduced hours.

Two weeks notice is fairly common, at least in collective experience. In almost every case an employer extending a job offer to an employed person will expect to have to wait two weeks.

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2009
    Two weeks notice is the only standard I'm aware of. Check your local employment laws to see if it's mandatory or not, some places it is.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Ok, so like the edited OP says, my job started giving me a ton of hours so I kinda put the job hunt on the back burner for a bit. But now Ive got about three months before the student loans need to start gettin paid.

SO! One thing I wondered is that since Ive been here for 6 months I need to put it on my resume and Id like to use one of the managers as a reference. If Im going to follow your guys advice and not tell my current job that Im looking, how do I go about using them as a reference? I remember seeing a lot of applications asking if they can contact my current employer, which sounds like it would nullify my silence on the matter.

Also any tips for finding restaurants online? Googling "restaurants in charlotte" seems like it would be a problem. With the hours I keep now I dont have the time to be runnin around on foot so I thought Id find the places on the internet then make a special trip out to the place so I know Id have the time to fill an application and talk to a manager.

Lardalish on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    You definitely need to discuss it with the manager. See if you can do it discreetly, don't say anything to anyone else, explain your (I hope) very valid reasons for wanting to seek employment elsewhere and ask if they can help you out.

Pheezer on
  • Options
    travathiantravathian Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    And hope they don't fire you the moment they hire your replacement.

No references from anyone at the school you went to?

travathian on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Well, Im leaving because I need to start paying student loans in a couple months and I can't do that with what Im making. I havent been there long enough to get a raise really and I dont think they're really in a place financially to give me a raise. Plus Im barely using my degree here and Id like to think I didn't spend oodles of money to not use my degree. Those sound like good reasons to me.

And yeah, I do have references from my school, but the classroom environment is a lot different from the work place. Id really like to be able to have a reference from my job where they've seen me under pressure.

Ok, well I think the plan is to scout out some places and once I find a few that I would like to apply to Ill ask the managers about me leaving and if I can give them as a reference. Then go see each place before work. Ill start the research tonight! But for now, time to go flip some burgers.

Lardalish on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    If you're actually good at your job and your reference knows you're not a silly goose, explaining the circumstances should net you a reference.

Pheezer on
  • Options
    FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    It's just part of working life. It is true that sometimes it's a shame that people don't tell their manager that there's a problem until they leave - but it sounds like they'd give you hours if they had them, and maybe their hands are tied.

I'd look and not say anything. Any recruiter/employer that knows anything will understand if you ask them not to ref check until they know if they are interested. My reference section always says "Available on request".

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    what ever you do don't quit without another job lined up. In a lot of places that screws you out of unemployment benefits.

tinwhiskers on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png