As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Cheapest laptop to play wow on

Svelte PenguinSvelte Penguin Registered User regular
edited December 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So I'm very stingy but having recently found myself divorced from my wow hating ex I now have copious free tme to indulge my former wow hobby (I haven't played since vanilla). I am debating getting either a laptop or a system + monitor to do so. Any reccomendations as to cheap systems that can handle all the expansions including the still to come cataclysm? All help appreciated.

Svelte Penguin on

• EriosErios Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    In the long run, building a cheap desktop is probably a better investment.

Erios on
    Steam: erios23, Live: Coconut Flavor, Origin: erios2386.
  • AwkAwk Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    you stopped playing at vanilla? youre in for a nasty surprise...

Awk on
  • RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    How cheap are you talking exactly?

Pretty sure you could get away with a $500 desktop that is actually a pretty quality gaming rig overall.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • The Crowing OneThe Crowing One Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Erios wrote: »
    In the long run, building a cheap desktop is probably a better investment.

That said, with crummy graphics, mostly anything made after 2005-2006ish should work. Make sure to check what kind of graphics card it has. My old Dell Inspiron 6000 (2002ish?) runs WoW fine, but it's by no means pretty.

As long as it meets the minimum requirements, you should be fine.

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg
  • SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    When aiming for gaming always go for desktop unless you require the portability of a laptop. Desktops are generally more reliable, cheaper and cheaper to fix lest anything crap out on you.

Desktop video cards tend to be supported more often than not as well, while laptop video cards are up in the air with this issue.

I've had a lot of problems with laptops.

Sipex on
  • ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Chiming in with these guys and suggesting you build a system. This thread is your new best friend. Read the OP and feel free to ask questions, lots of helpful chaps there.

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov