As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Stop error after installing new ram/motherboard in XP (SOLVED, THANKS SO MUCH)

BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKSRegistered User regular
edited January 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey, my boyfriend just got a new motherboard/CPU, video card, and some RAM, and after installing them, he keeps getting an error.

Motherboard/CPU: link
Videocard: nvidia geforce 9400 gt 1024MB DDR2
RAM: link

the error is
A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in the stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing video adapters.

Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as catching or shadowing. If you need to use safemode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select advanced startup options, and then select safe mode.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0X0000007E (0XC0000005, 0XB81C8756, 0XB84C342C, 0XB84C3128)

He should have disk space, there is no reason he shouldn't. I didn't see a drive identified. He installed the disk that came with the videocard in safe mode, but neither of us has much experience in this kind of thing, so I thought before i spent hours trying to research it and give myself a headache, i would see if you guys had any ideas.

i looked up stop errors, and it could be that one or all of the hardware he bought is faulty? how would we know which one/s if so?

he tried to reinstall windows, losing his information is not a problem, he only keeps games on his pc, no real data, but the install wouldn't work. no window or options came up when he started the computer up with the disk in the drive.

any help you guys can give would be appreciated.

vmn6rftb232b.png
Belruel on

• Enos316Enos316 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    So does it even boot up? Does he get to a desktop or at least hear a POST beep?

If its not booting up, unfortunately he is going to have to peel back all that new stuff one thing at a time. Here's a quick list of things I would do:

- Reseat the RAM, loose RAM connections can cause weird problems.

- If that doesn't work, remove each RAM stick one at a time, and see if it boots up. Try it with no RAM and see if it boots. This will tell you if its bad RAM, or a bad RAM slot on the mobo. There are RAM testing programs you can d/l and run on boot up too.

- Try it with no video card, or a different video card.

Enos316 on

Enos.jpg
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Whenever you install a new motherboard, you pretty much have to reinstall windows. He'll need to go into his BIOS and set the boot order so it reads the CD before the HDD, then install from there.

Sir Carcass on
  • BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKS Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    i had been keeping out of fixing it because i was napping, and i know i get pushy when things need to be fixed and maybe he'd like to fix it on his own, but turns out he didn't, so today i'll go through and try all that and research a bit.

keep the ideas coming guys, i really appreciate the help so much.

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • embrikembrik Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Whenever you install a new motherboard, you pretty much have to reinstall windows. He'll need to go into his BIOS and set the boot order so it reads the CD before the HDD, then install from there.

This is your answer. You need to switch boot order in the BIOS.

Also, as you're getting a stop error, the computer is POSTing correctly, so you should be good there.

Whenever you change that much hardware, especially a CPU, windows won't be able to properly update the HAL (Hardware abstraction layer - what tells the OS what hardware you have and what drivers to use for it, etc.) You may be able to get away with a repair install, but if there's no data to back up, a full reinstall is really the best choice.

embrik on
    "Damn you and your Daily Doubles, you brigand!"

I don't believe it - I'm on my THIRD PS3, and my FIRST XBOX360. What the heck?
    edited December 2009
    all right, so i'll do some searching to find out how to do that with the BIOS, anyone have any good links about it on-hand?

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    It should just be as pushing the delete button repeatedly when the computer is booting up (during the first screen where you usually seen an Energy Star Logo or something of that nature). From there you'll need to browse through all the options until you find something about Boot Sequence.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • embrikembrik Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Or F1, or F2, or F10, F12, etc.

embrik on
    "Damn you and your Daily Doubles, you brigand!"

I don't believe it - I'm on my THIRD PS3, and my FIRST XBOX360. What the heck?
  • Torque MonkeyTorque Monkey Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    0x07e is generally NTLDR is missing/corrupt/similar, most likely due to the old chipset being in place with a new motherboard. As mentioned, F2/delete/whatever key you see scroll across the bottom for BIOS, pop in your XP disc, set it to boot to CD first and wipe it clean.

You can attempt repairing it, but there can be a number of issues outside of this when you've got an old, incorrect for this new board chipset installed. So i'd wipe it.

Torque Monkey on
    Gojira2.png
  • HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    embrik wrote: »

To clarify, when you're booting it up it will usually say something like "Press DEL to enter BIOS" or something along those lines. It could be a different key but in general it will say it somewhere on the screen (usually near the bottom).

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Heir wrote: »
    embrik wrote: »

To clarify, when you're booting it up it will usually say something like "Press DEL to enter BIOS" or something along those lines. It could be a different key but in general it will say it somewhere on the screen (usually near the bottom).

or PRESS F2 TO ENTER SETUP, or it can ask for key combos too (eg ALT+CTRL+ESC or ALT+F10) though combos are less common on contemperary systems.

Ruckus on
  • GoofballGoofball Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    You don't have to wipe it clean. You can do a repair installation of XP and it should fix the problem without losing data or installed programs. This is pretty normal if the new motherboard is a different chipset than the old one.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/operatingsystems/ss/instxprepair1.htm

Goofball on
    Twitter: @TheGoofball
  • RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Goofball wrote: »
    You don't have to wipe it clean. You can do a repair installation of XP and it should fix the problem without losing data or installed programs. This is pretty normal if the new motherboard is a different chipset than the old one.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/operatingsystems/ss/instxprepair1.htm

It will required you to activate windows again though.

Ruckus on
    edited January 2010
    got it all working, thanks to you guys. once we changed the boot order it all worked a charm.

thank you so much! i really appreciate that you guys take the time to help those of us who are a bit hopeless with some things.

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png