As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Steam is a big fat jerk: Get your barf bags ready, Shattered Horizon

• Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Artreus wrote: »
    Mount and Blade is fun. I've had some fun playing some random battles. It is annoying a little that they rely entirely on you. As in if you don't personally kill 75% of the enemy army, all of your guys will be slaughtered and you will be the only one left. It just seems kind of one sided. Your guys should suck less. This has just been in the quick smirmish mode things so maybe in the real game you can get better dudes.

Also command them better.

Prophesy of pendor fixes a lot of your complaints

Raneados on
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Ledneh wrote: »
    I've been trying to play Civ4 again

As before, I am completely hopeless

Not because I lose or anything--I win eventually--but I'm never sure why I won :(

The most important change you can make to your strategy is specializing cities. If a city is going to be pumping out units, you don't want to build a library there, ever. If it's not building units, it should be because it's building a barracks or a granary. And it should have nothing but mines, farms, and mills inside its big cross, no cottages. Likewise, your science and commerce cities shouldn't be used to build units unless there are no more buildings available at all. Just build enough farms to support two or three mines and spam cottages on every other tile inside the big fat cross. As you expand, keep a 3:1 ratio between cottage cities and unit pumps and you'll be fine.

Going to war when you can take two or three cities and declare peace is more efficient than waiting until you have enough troops to crush an entire rival civ, because you can get those two or three cities up and contributing to your empire immediately. Generally, a decent gain early on is to be preferred to a big gain twenty turns down the road. Success breeds success.

A good way to work on your fundamentals is to play a couple of games where you don't build any wonders at all. Be stern with yourself. When you learn to survive without wonders, you get a better idea of when you can afford to snag the few wonders that can really help you out. Remember, if you're building the Pyramids while Shaka is pumping out axemen, you're building them for his benefit.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    what if the soldiers want to read some books

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    then they'll take them from the burning husks of the conquered

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    but the libraries are the first to burn

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    And who burns them

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    the helicopters and bombers dropping napalm everywhere

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    well that's rude of them

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    man what the fuck

empire was supposed to be 66% off until today

it's back up to $30 now, this is bullshit

Snowbeat on
    Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Snowbeat wrote: »
    man what the fuck

umm. It was 66% off until today.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    TheStig wrote: »
    Snowbeat wrote: »
    man what the fuck

umm. It was 66% off until today.

ending: february 15th, 10am PST

that's 1:00 EST

they ended it hours early

Snowbeat on
    Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Ah, that sucks.

TheStig on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    L|ama wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    total war was actually the easiest campaign of all the total wars for me

oh real

woopssssssss

meant empire

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Woop, beat the battle of Trafalgar on the second try with only 3 ships lost.

TheStig on
  • Options
    LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Jedoc wrote: »
    I've been trying to play Civ4 again

As before, I am completely hopeless

Not because I lose or anything--I win eventually--but I'm never sure why I won :(

The most important change you can make to your strategy is specializing cities. If a city is going to be pumping out units, you don't want to build a library there, ever. If it's not building units, it should be because it's building a barracks or a granary. And it should have nothing but mines, farms, and mills inside its big cross, no cottages. Likewise, your science and commerce cities shouldn't be used to build units unless there are no more buildings available at all. Just build enough farms to support two or three mines and spam cottages on every other tile inside the big fat cross. As you expand, keep a 3:1 ratio between cottage cities and unit pumps and you'll be fine.

Going to war when you can take two or three cities and declare peace is more efficient than waiting until you have enough troops to crush an entire rival civ, because you can get those two or three cities up and contributing to your empire immediately. Generally, a decent gain early on is to be preferred to a big gain twenty turns down the road. Success breeds success.

A good way to work on your fundamentals is to play a couple of games where you don't build any wonders at all. Be stern with yourself. When you learn to survive without wonders, you get a better idea of when you can afford to snag the few wonders that can really help you out. Remember, if you're building the Pyramids while Shaka is pumping out axemen, you're building them for his benefit.
    Much appreciated but

what makes you decide that this city is commerce and this city is production and this city is a food city (so a GP farm I guess)

no plot I ever see really lends itself to one kind or the other!

(edit) and hell my capital always outclasses every other city massively fora long time, which makes it even harder

Ledneh on
  • Options
    scrivenerjonesscrivenerjones Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    yeah I try to specialize cities but I always forget which is which so I just build libraries everywhere :(

guess I will start naming them UNITLAND and SCIENCEVILLE and shit

scrivenerjones on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    city specialization goes against everything I know about playing the Civ games

generally I just go for economy and science specialization while maintaining a military just strong enough to defend against the initial onslaught from a jealous neighbor. Every city gets a library.

as soon as the war starts I just mobilize every fucking city for unit production. Usually I'm advanced enough by that point that my units can easily crush the opposition

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Raneados wrote: »
    Mount and Blade is fun. I've had some fun playing some random battles. It is annoying a little that they rely entirely on you. As in if you don't personally kill 75% of the enemy army, all of your guys will be slaughtered and you will be the only one left. It just seems kind of one sided. Your guys should suck less. This has just been in the quick smirmish mode things so maybe in the real game you can get better dudes.

Also command them better.

Prophesy of pendor fixes a lot of your complaints

Actually his complaints are fixed simply by playing regular game for a bit

(though PoP is great)

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    seriously though, everyone should play pirates, knights and vikings.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Had a fairly decent game as a heavy knight although the Knights as a team still failed miserably because nobody could grasp how the chests work

We got so goddamn close to winning but the team just let the pirates collect their chest and walk home and they outticked us

But welp at least I got to kill mans

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    holy grail on fort is really goddamn dumb for knights

and skirmishers are broken as all hell

basically with some minor class balance it would be a MUCH better game

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    It is kinda irksome to get a skirmisher down to daisies and then have him run away like a little bunny because there are no archers nearby

Or at least none capable of pinning him to the wall

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Edcrab wrote: »
    It is kinda irksome to get a skirmisher down to daisies and then have him run away like a little bunny because there are no archers nearby

Or at least none capable of pinning him to the wall

it's not just their speed

it's the fact that they charge their weapons faster than any class in the game, can kill a knight with their special and have more health than archers

oh yeah, certain maps make kegs absolutely ridiculous

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    [Much appreciated but

what makes you decide that this city is commerce and this city is production and this city is a food city (so a GP farm I guess)

no plot I ever see really lends itself to one kind or the other!

(edit) and hell my capital always outclasses every other city massively fora long time, which makes it even harder

If you build the right developments, almost any plot can be used for almost any purpose. A city with five or six hills can make a good unit pump, but so can one with a river snaking through it if you build a ton of watermills, or a peninsular city with the Moai national wonder. The terrain is important, but the needs of your civilization are more so.

Gonna start spoiling this so as not to clutter up the page.
    Commerce cities are the easiest to choose plots for. If you have a spot that's mostly grassland, cottage the shit out of it. If it's got a commerce-boosting resource like spices or gold, cottage the shit out of all the rest of the tiles. Find a spot with a lot of coastal tiles and cottage the shit out of any land tiles remaining.

Likewise, you only need a few good production tiles to make a unit pump. Any city with an iron or copper resource should get a barracks. If you've got a lot of plains tiles, build workshops on as many of them as you can support with your farms.

A game like Civ 4 is all about rules of thumb. Each city should have one food resource, two or three flood plains, or at least four riverside grassland tiles. Anything less and you're not going to get a decent growth rate. If there are three food resources close together, you can build a city that grabs all of them and make a GP farm or have three cities each make use of a single food resource.

If you really want to get into optimizing your cities, you've got to dotmap. Place signs (Alt-S) on every tile within each city's radius that says what you're going to eventually build there. It's a pain in the ass at first, but it saves you the trouble of recalculating each time a worker goes idle.

On that topic, you need to have one worker for each city, plus one to run around hooking up odd resources. If a city is more than half jungle, give it two workers. An optimal number of workers should finish improving every tile in your empire right around the time you discover railroads.

If you want to be able to eventually work all twenty tiles within the city radius, count the food available. Go through and count up every tile that produces less than two food, which is what you need to support each population point. Plains and grassland hills are worth -1, plains hills are worth -2. That number is how much food you need to produce. A farmed grassland is worth +1. Farmed irrigated corn is worth +4. Your negatives need to balance out your positives. Again, this can be a pain to start with, but you get an eye for it pretty quickly if you pay attention.

And you're right, your capital city is going to be head and shoulders above the rest of your empire for most of the game, so plan early what it's role is going to be. If it's got a bunch of production-friendly tiles, maximize that and plan to take advantage of the 50% bonus from Bureaucracy when it comes around. Same with commerce-friendly tiles. If it's just got too many food resources to resist, farm every tile you can and plan to build the Globe Theatre there. You can use it to produce Great People or to whip out tons of units with Slavery.

Planning ahead is key. If it feels like you don't have a good enough plot to create your next unit pump, improvise one with watermills, workshops, and uncut forests. If a city has too many hills to support with mines, don't be afraid to build windmills on some for the +1 food bonus. Don't let the lay of the land dictate what you need to do with the cities you found.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Drew-BDrew-B Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Man my former roommate from college came and visited me this weekend. We tried the 'Hot Seat' mode for Civ 4 and it was goddamned wonderful. For those unaware, it's just a mode where you can set multiple human players on the same PC, and players simply trade off (we had two USB mice and it worked very nicely).

Ended up playing the Europe map with 6 AI. It's a ton of fun to sit there with another person in the same room, and the game honestly does not move that slowly. I ended up getting stuck in Great Britain, which stunted me initially--while he set up in France and Germany.

Several hours later (easy game to pause and come back too, thankfully), we are both doing excellent, until ONE barbarian axeman unit shows up five or so tiles from his capital. I think, okay, holy shit we have been totally distracted with this whole 2 player business and have not really been building up defensive units. I save the game while he tries everything in his power to get a unit out in the next five turns. It wasn't so simple, as we had not teched up to where you can buy units yet, and the barbarian unit was an axeman, which was just about the most powerful melee unit on the board at the time (medieval era). Sending units along his roads and trying to rush out a swordsman of his own were too slow...the axeman killed the one swordsman in his capital (which the odds did NOT favor), and RAZED his capital.

I think, no biggie, we tried that and ran out of time. I'll just reload the game I saved and have him switch to Slavery civic, bite the bullet, and sacrifice a couple population of his capital to pump out another swordsman.

Nope.

The turn JUST BEFORE the barbarian had appeared, he had switched another civic because of a tech discovery, and it was impossible to switch for the next four or so turns.

So, just like that, the game was over.

We weren't even upset, the game was so much fun until that point. I'll admit we had a very nice sack of pot to celebrate our 'buddy weekend,' so that probably helped us shrug off the hours and hours of lost progress.

Drew-B on
  • Options
    SenorTacosSenorTacos Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Is stargate resistance any good?

SenorTacos on
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Man all you had to do was build an archer and have it sit on the capitol

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    If any of you guys get together for PVK2 you better invite me

steam is decafpink or Crashmo

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • Options
    Drew-BDrew-B Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

It was early in the game, still at a point where any military unit cost 5-8 turns. I don't think this would have happened to either of us, ever, if we had simply been playing a solo game like normal as opposed to spacing the game out over an entire day. That, and the very bad timing of a civics switch that prevented him from going slavery.

Would an archer win against an axeman, though? Isn't an archer's strength 3 or so compared tot the axeman's 5?

I know that the archer has always been a good early-defense unit in Civ, but I've been slightly confused about the combat ever since attack and defense ratings were consolidated into a single number. edit: Oh, does the archer get a defense buff vs. melee units? I forget. We broke into Civ 4 this weekend after failing to get a LAN game of starcraft and supreme commander working, so its been a while.

Drew-B on
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Crashmo wrote: »

Man I'd love to.

But every server I join gives me an "Invalid UserID ticket" error or some shit.

Sad, I never got to play as a Viking. :cry:

MechMantis on
  • Options
    CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    MechMantis wrote: »

Man I'd love to.

But the Vikings should have been your first choice!

Have you tried googling your problem?

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Yup.

Tried the suggested fixes. Still happens. And only with PVK2. Even before I tried the fixes I was able to join any TF2 server I wanted without trouble.

And as for my choice of not-Vikings: I tried to pick Vikings. They filled up too fast, and so I was reduced to playing Knights or Pirates.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Drew-B wrote: »

It was early in the game, still at a point where any military unit cost 5-8 turns. I don't think this would have happened to either of us, ever, if we had simply been playing a solo game like normal as opposed to spacing the game out over an entire day. That, and the very bad timing of a civics switch that prevented him from going slavery.

Would an archer win against an axeman, though? Isn't an archer's strength 3 or so compared tot the axeman's 5?

I know that the archer has always been a good early-defense unit in Civ, but I've been slightly confused about the combat ever since attack and defense ratings were consolidated into a single number. edit: Oh, does the archer get a defense buff vs. melee units? I forget. We broke into Civ 4 this weekend after failing to get a LAN game of starcraft and supreme commander working, so its been a while.

Archers are the second military unit you can get usually, although I guess you might have missed the right tech. And an archer does have a relatively low strength but the defense bonuses an archer gets are just ridiculous, especially if the city is on a hill or has walls. But just a fortified archer on its own should be able to hold off an axeman.

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Yeah, archers get 50% city defense and 25% hills defense. With the fortify bonus and whatever cultural defense you've scraped together, they can easily put an unpromoted axeman at under 25% odds of success.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Mr. ButtonsMr. Buttons Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    MechMantis wrote: »

Man I'd love to.

I'm having that exact same problem

Mr. Buttons on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    ...huh.

Apparently exiting Steam and launching it again doesn't log you out.

Well, problem's been fixed, let's get some PVKing on.

EDIT: So, log out from the File menu (Switch Users), log back in, and it should work properly.

Name's MechMantis

MechMantis on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Vikings are pretty boss

Three classes

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    Meta T. DustMeta T. Dust Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Vikings are pretty boss

Three classes

Pirates are getting Sharpshooter

Knights are getting Man-At-Arms

Meta T. Dust on
    motherfuckingwar.png
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Key word "getting"

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    Meta T. DustMeta T. Dust Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Key word "Pirates have fucking guns, and knights are like mountains of metal"

Vikings suck sorry bro

Meta T. Dust on
    motherfuckingwar.png
This discussion has been closed.