As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Game of the Year 2009 [Let's Vote]

• Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    If I recall, Persona 4 got the 'niche' award last year. Not many people voted for it, but most that did voted it #1. I'm looking forward to seeing what gets that.

Demon's Souls.

At least it damn well better.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Batman will win because it's available on the most platforms.

Muddy Water on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Batman will win because he's the Goddamn Batman.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Lawndart wrote: »
    If I recall, Persona 4 got the 'niche' award last year. Not many people voted for it, but most that did voted it #1. I'm looking forward to seeing what gets that.

Demon's Souls.

At least it damn well better.

Demon's Souls might do better than people think

It was Gamespot's Game of the Year, fer crissakes

That's practically mainstream

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    yeah i'm gonna say Batman

SFIV will also be surprisingly high just because it's multi-platform, even though most people don't really get into fighters

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I don't know, I've never seen a game inspire religious frothing fervor like Uncharted 2 has.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    so is fifa on the list yet or am I still refusing to vote

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I don't know, I've never seen a game inspire religious frothing fervor like Uncharted 2 has.

It's not perfect. It's got a few pacing and difficulty problems in certain sections, and the level design could be a bit clearer in a few places

But that doesn't stop it from being fucking fantastic

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Ranking my favorite games was a lot harder than I thought it was going to be. I feel confident with the placement of the first six, but the rest are like, "Well...I guess that order works."

1. Batman: Arkham Asylum (360,PC,PS3)
    2. Flower (PS3*)
    3. Infamous (PS3)
    4. Red Faction: Guerrilla (360,PC,PS3)
    5. Dragon Age: Origins (360,PC,PS3)
    6. Brütal Legend (360,PS3)
    7. Assassin's Creed II (360,PS3)
    8. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (PS3)
    9. Demon's Souls (PS3)
    10. Left 4 Dead 2 (360,PC)
    11. Borderlands (360,PC,PS3)
    12. Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story (DS)
    13. Ghostbusters: The Video Game (360,DS,PC,PS2,PS3,PSP,Wii)
    14. Time, Gentlemen, Please! (PC)
    15. Halo 3: ODST (360)
    16. Tom Clancy's HAWX (360,iPhone,PC,PS3,Wii)
    17. Resident Evil 5 (360,PC,PS3)
    18. Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box (DS)
    19. Trine (PC,PS3*)
    20. The Void (PC)

Looking at it now, it feels kind of weird to put Uncharted 2 at #8, but I loved the top six so much. I probably should have switched the order of ACII and Uncharted 2, but that's a pretty small mistake.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Olivaw wrote: »

What

I mean they were already dead to me anyways

But now I just wanna shoot the corpse

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010

What

But Demon's Souls is supposed to be extremely good. Why is that a bad thing?

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

It's not perfect. It's got a few pacing and difficulty problems in certain sections, and the level design could be a bit clearer in a few places

It could also use some non-generic combat, less crappy mindless "platforming", fewer scenarios that are so implausible it would make Hollywood cringe, a non-crappy melee system that doesn't lock you into 1v1 combat in a game that is exclusively built for 1vMany, non-shitty boss fights, fewer slow walking bullet sponges (if those shotgun guys ever learn the ability to run, drake is screwed), and some puzzles that a kindergartner wouldn't find easy.

UC2 is a fun game, but as of now, it's one of my contenders for most overrated game of all time.

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I think they did it because they like to go against the grain and whatnot

Although they did give it to Metal Gear Solid 4 last year, so who knows.

They also gave MGS4 their graphics thing over Crysis Warhead, and I mean what

pyromaniac221 on
    psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I think more recognition for a game like Demon's Souls is a good thing

Even if I probably will hate it's guts when I play it because I don't like hard games, but you know, the design philosophy and atmosphere they cultivate with that game are really good

Side note: I am really pleased with how high Red Faction Guerrilla is scoring on people's lists. That's a game I would enjoy a sequel to

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

What

But Demon's Souls is supposed to be extremely good. Why is that a bad thing?

unbreakable vow doesn't like demon's souls, because he is bad at the control scheme

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I have voted. You call all stop holding your breaths.

1. Batman: Arkham Asylum (360,PC,PS3)
    2. Bionic Commando (360,PC,PS3)
    3. Assassin's Creed II (360,PS3)
    4. Zeno Clash (360,PC)
    5. The Dishwasher: Dead Samurai (360*)
    6. The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena (360,PC,PS3)
    7. Dragon Age: Origins (360,PC,PS3)
    8. Brütal Legend (360,PS3)
    9. Torchlight (PC)
    10. Trine (PC,PS3*)
    11. Shadow Complex (360*)
    12. Wii Sports Resort (Wii)
    13. F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin (360,PC,PS3)

That's a pretty fucking solid top 5 for me. 6-11 are almost all interchangeable. They're all fantastic games, and I had to loosely order them based on how engrossed I was in them and how objectively solid they were. May as well be a six-way tie, really. Wii Sports kind of gets thrown on there because it was actually a blast to play in mixed company, even if it's not something I'd ever play on my own. FEAR 2 wasn't bad per say. Its general averageness was very disappointing, though, since the first game was incredible. Maybe it would've made the 12th slot if they'd given me a goddamn lean button. There's a few games like Puzzle Quest: Galactrix and Gyromancer that I've probably played enough of to rank, but didn't really feel that it was fair. Still, that was a much shorter list than I thought it was going to be.

There was so much I didn't get the play this year. The Void, Street Fighter IV, and Osmos are installed on my computer as we speak, but I didn't have time to actually play any of them. I don't own a PS3, so I missed out on Uncharted 2, Demon's Souls, and a couple other things that looked fascinating. Brad Shoemaker over at Giant Bomb has, within the past couple weeks, single-handedly sold me on Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, but I don't know when I'll get around to picking it up.

Good year.

Monger on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Side note: I am really pleased with how high Red Faction Guerrilla is scoring on people's lists. That's a game I would enjoy a sequel to

The shooting is meh, but that's not the point.

I hope it does well enough to get a sequel, 'cause the physics are already in place for something really great

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Games like Demon Souls typically subscribe to the God Hand school of game design. If you get it wrong, it's not the game's fault, you just need to get better.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    That's a horrible type of game design and I'm glad Clover is dead for it

But even if I liked Demon's Souls...picking it over Batman, Uncharted 2, AC2, MW2? Craziness.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    KuratosuKuratosu Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Games like Demon Souls typically subscribe to the God Hand school of game design. If you get it wrong, it's not the game's fault, you just need to get better.

It's not even so much that, as it is people completely not understanding a huge reason why it gets high acclaim: The integration of the online stuff is really quite innovative and well implemented.

Kuratosu on
    Click spoiler for Backloggery, and gamer info:
    sig.gif
    Gamer Tag: LeeWay0
    PSN: Leeway0
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Rakai wrote: »

It could also use some non-generic combat, less crappy mindless "platforming", fewer scenarios that are so implausible it would make Hollywood cringe, a non-crappy melee system that doesn't lock you into 1v1 combat in a game that is exclusively built for 1vMany, non-shitty boss fights, fewer slow walking bullet sponges (if those shotgun guys ever learn the ability to run, drake is screwed), and some puzzles that a kindergartner wouldn't find easy.

UC2 is a fun game, but as of now, it's one of my contenders for most overrated game of all time.

I think the combat felt good, the platforming is way better than the first game's, the implausible scenarios are nowhere near MW2 level crazy and are perfectly in keeping with Hollywood's reality (or else you haven't seen many movies), the melee system could be better but there's no real way to improve it without actively making melee combat more prominent and making it feel more gamey, the only real boss fight that is shitty is the final one, the armored soldiers can go fuck themselves, and the puzzles were actually pretty cool

And the most overrated game of all time is Final Fantasy VII and nothing will ever change that, I'm sorry

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    TekDragonTekDragon __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    Lets go Harvest Moon Animal Parade!

TekDragon on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Hey

Hey

Fuck you

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    When I think overrated, I think Panzer Dragoon Saga, but hardly anyone played that anyway.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Rakai, how can you list all those faults with it and still say "it's fun"

Are you sure you're not just hating on it because everyone else loves it?

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Olivaw, I--I think I want to make out with you. Everything you've said so far... :^:

Kuratosu on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010

Hey

Hey

Fuck you

Monger on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

But even if I liked Demon's Souls...picking it over Batman, Uncharted 2, AC2, MW2? Craziness.

But Clover Studios also made Okami and Viewtiful Joe. Those were great games.

EDIT: Beaten by Olivaw, who decided to just say what I was holding back.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Kuratosu wrote: »
    Olivaw, I--I think I want to make out with you. Everything you've said so far... :^:

As long as we don't talk about jrpgs afterward I'm down with that

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Stilts wrote: »

I stand by my statement

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Stilts wrote: »

I stand by my statement

Breaking news: UnbreakableVow has no soul. :(

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I voted a few days ago, but only for 5 because I was kinda lazy
    1. Uncharted 2
    2. Demon Souls
    3. Batman: Arkham Asylum
    4. Killzone 2
    5. SMT: Devil Survivor

Egos on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Thing is, when you come down to it, Batman, Uncharted, AC2, MW2... they're all familiar genres, just made better.

Demon's Souls is one of a kind. That's the kind of game that deserves recognition.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Thing is, when you come down to it, Batman, Uncharted, AC2, MW2... they're all familiar genres, just made better.

Demon's Souls is one of a kind. That's the kind of game that deserves recognition.

It's true, and one of the things they explain quite well over at Gamespot. I think they justified their GOTY quite reasonably.

Kuratosu on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Batman is also one of a kind

At its heart it's a Metroid game but in execution it's unlike pretty much anything else out there

EDIT: Just like how it's easy to say "Well Demon's Souls is a roguelike" but its execution sets it apart in a lot of ways

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

MW2 felt much more like more of the same than UC2 and Batman. It felt like they refined and added things that those two deserve recognition.

I don't know about AC2.

edit: I haven't played it yet.

Egos on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Batman is a bit unique, being a third-person action-adventure stealth Metroidvania

And Demon's Souls is basically a roguelike but with a persistent character

But I can see what you're saying

edit: wow I got beaten bad

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Rakai wrote: »

Talking about overrated games, Have you met MW2?

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    What's crappy about MW2's melee combat?

Right stick

Seems pretty basic

Are you expecting Street Fighter out of your FPS?

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Rakai, how can you list all those faults with it and still say "it's fun"

Are you sure you're not just hating on it because everyone else loves it?

Because its characters and the acting and the graphics do a good job covering for its flaws. To me it's an 8.5/10 game. What bothers me is when it starts getting 10/10 "greatest game ever!!!!" despite having so many flaws built into it's gameplay. It has a lot of room for improvement and I don't want them to be content with just keeping the gameplay, changing the locations, and adding more explosions, which is what I felt they mostly did with UC2.

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID