As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

RPGs for the Wii?

Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now.Outpost 31Registered User regular
edited January 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
So my buddy got a Wii for Christmas and he's wondering what RPGs are available for it. He's more keen on the western style, but Shiren the Wanderer has also caught his eye. He's got Fire Emblem, but he's not too fond of it because of the cutscenes every time an attack is initiated.

Any recommendations?

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
Descendant X on

• BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I hear the Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles games are not bad.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    You can turn off the attack cutscenes for Fire Emblem.

For Final Fantasy, the Crystal Chronicles games are decent, but Echoes of Time is more like a DS port.
    You can download Final Fantasy IV: The After Years with wii points.

Rune Factory is a psuedo-RPG, more along the line of the Harvest Moon series.

Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World is good too, and can be had for cheap. $14.99 in the Best Buy bargain bins.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • UmaroUmaro Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Remember, the Wii can also play Gamecube games. The original Tales of Symphonia kept me entertained for a couple hundred hours (then my data got corrupted on my sixth playthrough).

Umaro on
    Dogs.jpg
  • SeeksSeeks Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Wii has VC, as well.

Super Mario RPG, BoF 2, Paper Mario, etc.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • Peter PrinciplePeter Principle Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Alien Syndrome was worth the $10 I paid for it. A bit repetitive towards the end but it was like Diablo I, in space.

Peter Principle on
    "A man is likely to mind his own business when it is worth minding. When it is not, he takes his mind off his own meaningless affairs by minding other people's business." - Eric Hoffer, _The True Believer_
  • Pure DinPure Din Boston-areaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World is pretty fun, but the plot probably won't make much sense without having played Tales of Symphonia. And speaking of Gamecube games, I really like Baten Kaitos.

Pure Din on
  • JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The whole line of Paper Mario games are really good. You can download the first one off VC, but Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door is a GC game, and you can just buy that. I wouldn't really recommend Super Paper Mario, because it plays like a platformer.

But yeah, just get some points and dig through the VC titles.

JaysonFour on
    steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Pure Din wrote: »
    Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World is pretty fun, but the plot probably won't make much sense without having played Tales of Symphonia.

The plot should make sense, you just wouldn't catch all of the references to the previous game. Emil is one of the whinest bitches I've ever seen as a protagonist. He's like the polar opposite of Yuri.
    He's got Fire Emblem, but he's not too fond of it because of the cutscenes every time an attack is initiated.

He should check the options. I don't know whether it's in Radiant Dawn but in some of the previous Fire Emblem titles you could basically skip the fights (health bars pop up, one of the units are defeated, health on living unit is adjusted as needed).

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I hear really positive things about Little King's Story.
    There's also Super Paper Mario, Marvel Ultimate Alliance, Tales and Baroque. Baroque is a roguelike (but I didn't like it) if your friend is looking at Shiren. Atlus has a couple of the Tactics remakes on the system as well.

I can't think of any traditional western rpgs though. I would take a look at the Gamecube offerings.

solsovly on
  • Farout FoolioFarout Foolio Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Little King's story, is at it's core, a pikmin clone.
    Pikmin is awesome.

Farout Foolio on
    2tyFzTC.png

• EriosErios Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Since it hasn't been said, see if you can pick up a copy of Skies of Arcadia Legends.

Erios on
    Steam: erios23, Live: Coconut Flavor, Origin: erios2386.
  • Dr Mario KartDr Mario Kart Games Dealer Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Note that the Wii cant save Gamecube games without a Gamecube memory card, nor can they play them without a Gamecube controller. So if you dont already have those on hands its more to pick up than just the games.

Dr Mario Kart on
  • EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Barrakketh wrote: »
    Emil is one of the whinest bitches I've ever seen as a protagonist. He's like the polar opposite of Yuri.

I stopped playing this game because of this. I could not stand to listen to him any more. The sad thing is, the first installment was one of my favorite games, but Emil... oh god.... /rage

For the Wii, your new RPG list is fairly slim. Pick up the new Crystal Bearer's game, and the older games listed above and you'll have some fun for a bit. The downside to the Wii is that you don't have a lot of new RPGs released for it, so your friend may have a tough time finding a new game he likes.

But with downloads like Secret of Mana and Mario RPG, there's plenty to play.

Enc on