Options

[Chat] of the Sea

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Jesus fuck. Captain OCD just uploaded some photos of his niece on facebook. She is an ugly little girl. And they've dressed her up in a ghastly neon pink dress that I suspect is mostly plastic. It may well be child abuse to make a kid wear that.

I kind of feel bad saying that she ain't pretty, but sometimes you just see a child and rather than the "awww, cute kid" you just get a visceral "MONSTER! KILL IT WITH FIRE" reaction.

My own children will have to be at least as beautiful as myself, or I'll recycle them.

People who have children to show them off like animals are disgusting.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Mojo!

I'm still not sure what you were talking about, with the credit card receipt and your signature... they bring you the bill, you send it back with your CC, which they bring back with the slip with the total price, a line for a tip, a line for the new total to be charged to your card, and a line for your signature. You add the necessary tip, tally the new final total, and sign the slip. I don't get what you mean saying you were signing before the final total was known.

LaOs on
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Um, regarding an earlier topic, even in the United States where fast food is apparently cheaper it's still not cheaper than buying from the grocery store. The only monetary advantage fast food holds is that you can buy it in smaller portions on a day-to-day schedule rather than buying a lot of food at once which lasts a week or two. This is advantageous if you don't have a lot of money at any one time but it's still more expensive in the long run.

When I go to Wendy's I spend something like 14 dollars so that two people become full. When I go to the grocery store I spend around 10-12 dollars and the meal that's bought is enough for three people. The remaining hamburger buns that are factored in can also be used again for another meal. I also spend around 15-16 dollars a week on bread and sandwich meat and cheese which gives my three-person family something like three sandwiches a day for five days. They're not quite as big as a Subway sandwich but they're filling, there's more of them, and they use better ingredients. Most importantly they're still cheaper.

Fast food is only useful if you can't afford to buy a whole week's worth of groceries at one time, you're lazy, and you just don't care what you put into your body.

And yes, I just went down into my fridge and added up the cost of all of these things. The numbers are not perfect but they're very close.

Not that I am disagreeing, but citing 14 dollars as the price for a fast food meal for two is somewhat disingenuous. Smart use of dollar/value menus results in a MUCH lower price to fill up two people.

I imagine I eat more than the average person when I go to a fast food restaurant. I am not comparing the amount of food, though, I am only comparing "fullness". In order to become full at a fast food restaurant I have to spend more than I would to become full at a grocery store.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    The Crowing OneThe Crowing One Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    LaOs wrote: »
    Mojo!

I'm still not sure what you were talking about, with the credit card receipt and your signature... they bring you the bill, you send it back with your CC, which they bring back with the slip with the total price, a line for a tip, a line for the new total to be charged to your card, and a line for your signature. You add the necessary tip, tally the new final total, and sign the slip. I don't get what you mean saying you were signing before the final total was known.

Total of the charge.

As in, you sign the base charge and then add tip. They go back and charge the tip, de facto.

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Hey, any of you homps looking for a job?

The team I am on needs a new build engineer / SDET.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Um, regarding an earlier topic, even in the United States where fast food is apparently cheaper it's still not cheaper than buying from the grocery store. The only monetary advantage fast food holds is that you can buy it in smaller portions on a day-to-day schedule rather than buying a lot of food at once which lasts a week or two. This is advantageous if you don't have a lot of money at any one time but it's still more expensive in the long run.

When I go to Wendy's I spend something like 14 dollars so that two people become full. When I go to the grocery store I spend around 10-12 dollars and the meal that's bought is enough for three people. The remaining hamburger buns that are factored in can also be used again for another meal. I also spend around 15-16 dollars a week on bread and sandwich meat and cheese which gives my three-person family something like three sandwiches a day for five days. They're not quite as big as a Subway sandwich but they're filling, there's more of them, and they use better ingredients. Most importantly they're still cheaper.

Fast food is only useful if you can't afford to buy a whole week's worth of groceries at one time, you're lazy, and you just don't care what you put into your body.

And yes, I just went down into my fridge and added up the cost of all of these things. The numbers are not perfect but they're very close.

Not that I am disagreeing, but citing 14 dollars as the price for a fast food meal for two is somewhat disingenuous. Smart use of dollar/value menus results in a MUCH lower price to fill up two people.

Ehhhh I don't know. I was rather surprised last time I ate at a fast food restaurant how much I actually spent. Two Whopper meals, no meat, extra pickles and tomatoes cost me like ten bucks. I can make about 15 vegetable sandwiches with fries and a soda for roughly that much if I shop smart.

Arch on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    HOLY CRAP ITS SRAKSUS

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I imagine I eat more than the average person when I go to a fast food restaurant. I am not comparing the amount of food, though, I am only comparing "fullness". In order to become full at a fast food restaurant I have to spend more than I would to become full at a grocery store.

And I'm saying you can become "full" for a lot less than $14 for two people at a fast food place. I can get full off of $3 and change at a Taco Bell, for example.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I am taking an online course WEEEE!!!

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Tav on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    edited January 2010
    Sweet, two more Mad Men episodes.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Arch wrote: »
    Ehhhh I don't know. I was rather surprised last time I ate at a fast food restaurant how much I actually spent. Two Whopper meals, no meat, extra pickles and tomatoes cost me like ten bucks. I can make about 15 vegetable sandwiches with fries and a soda for roughly that much if I shop smart.

Funnily enough this doesn't deal with my point in the least as you A. ordered something not off the dollar menu and B. ordered something with meat and then asked for no meat, so it's not my fault you paid for something that you didn't get in the meal at all. :P

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So, you've finally decided to rejoin us, eh, Sarks?

Doing good? :)

Passerbye on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    TL DR on
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Dunadan019 wrote: »
    I am taking an online course WEEEE!!!

I just registered for a 3-day google seminar in vegas!

weeeeeeeeee

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Except he was using comparable meals prepared by himself. A dollar menu burger is so much more expensive than a single serving of name brand pasta.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    moniker wrote: »
    Except he was using comparable meals prepared by himself. A dollar menu burger is so much more expensive than a single serving of name brand pasta.

I said I wasn't disagreeing.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Yea, what the fuck? A cheeseburger without meat, bread, pickles, or condiments costs me like $2. You know how many craft singles I could buy with that?

Bama on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Funnily enough this doesn't deal with my point in the least as you A. ordered something not off the dollar menu and B. ordered something with meat and then asked for no meat, so it's not my fault you paid for something that you didn't get in the meal at all. :P

Well yea, but I was just stating that even fast food can become high priced quickly.

Does subway count as fast food? because there I pay about 14 bucks for two sandwiches two drinks, and chips

Taco bell is pretty cheap, but again I get close to double digits for two people even there, when buying a can of beans, some cheese, and tortillas can be done much more cheaply and feed more people.

Arch on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Mojo!

Total of the charge.

As in, you sign the base charge and then add tip. They go back and charge the tip, de facto.

That... that's not how it works here, which is why I was not following what he was saying. Even when I've been in the states, it hasn't worked the way I'm interpreting what you are saying--it worked the way I described.

LaOs on
  • Options
    PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Damn, it's raining. I have a package to pick up that I'm fairly sure will be big and not-water-proof. I won't be able to carry it and hold an umbrella, and I don't have a plastic bag big enough for it.

After nearly a year of living here I finally find a downside to living in Seattle.

Passerbye on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I don't understand how you guys spend so much on fast food.

I can get a meal for two from some local restaurants for as much as you guys spend on fast food. o_O

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

And I'm saying you can become "full" for a lot less than $14 for two people at a fast food place. I can get full off of $3 and change at a Taco Bell, for example.

Well okay, for just myself I get a Double Classic, large fries, a bottled water, and a chicken sandwich off the value menu. What can I replace this meal with so that it's cheaper? The food on the Value Menu is smaller than what you find in the combo meals so you would have to account for that.

Also I believe my point about Subway, which is ordinarily viewed as very cheap fast food, still stands.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I don't understand how you guys spend so much on fast food.

I can get a meal for two from some local restaurants for as much as you guys spend on fast food. o_O

that's my point

Arch on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Well yea, but I was just stating that even fast food can become high priced quickly.

Does subway count as fast food? because there I pay about 14 bucks for two sandwiches two drinks, and chips

Taco bell is pretty cheap, but again I get close to double digits for two people even there, when buying a can of beans, some cheese, and tortillas can be done much more cheaply and feed more people.

Does Taco Bell count as food?

moniker on
  • Options
    The Crowing OneThe Crowing One Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Mojo!

Total of the charge.

That... that's not how it works here, which is why I was not following what he was saying. Even when I've been in the states, it hasn't worked the way I'm interpreting what you are saying--it worked the way I described.

1. hand over card
    2. receive receipt for charge for base price of $20.00 (not tip)
    3. sign receipt and add tip of $4.00
    4. card is then charged again for tip/original charge modified for tip

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    so working on my timeline here

if i get a job working for as much as i wanted (about $10,00 a year), i will be debt free in eight months

which means about 4 months after that (a year total after starting work) i will be ready to go back to school

pretty happy about that!

now, to proceed to step 1: getting a job

Pony on
  • Options
    thisisntwallythisisntwally Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

helz nah

thisisntwally on
    #someshit
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    also I eat a LOT for a dude who is rather tiny

for lunch I had a bowl of spaghetti, and entire eggplant (oven roasted) and two croissants.

so like when I go to taco bell I get 2 bean crunchwraps, two of those cheese roll things, and two bags of twists plus a drink.

Arch on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

I'm sure if they fed it to prisoners at Guantanamo it would be considered torture.

Passerbye on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Does ANY fast food?

Arch on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    also I eat a LOT for a dude who is rather tiny

for lunch I had a bowl of spaghetti, and entire eggplant (oven roasted) and two croissants.

so like when I go to taco bell I get 2 bean crunchwraps, two of those cheese roll things, and two bags of twists plus a drink.

hi-5 voracious vegetarians

TL DR on
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Passerbye wrote: »
    Damn, it's raining. I have a package to pick up that I'm fairly sure will be big and not-water-proof. I won't be able to carry it and hold an umbrella, and I don't have a plastic bag big enough for it.

After nearly a year of living here I finally find a downside to living in Seattle.

The stereotype of seattle weather is really based on what its like in Jan. - April or so. Sometimes a month or more (I remember one year with 60+ days) without seeing the sun. Never gets really cold, doesn't actually rain a lot in terms of inches. But it never stops.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    HOLY CRAP ITS SRAKSUS

Hi.

I'm doing better, though I would say my return is premature. I have other things in my life right now so I don't think I will be so reliant on this place in the future.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    As I said, I spent $8.50 a few weeks back on a medium sized combo meal from McDonalds.

I could have cooked my own food for less money and in less time that it took me to get food from McDonalds.

Fun facts: The rise in cost of fast food is a direct cause of people questioning it's healthiness last decade. The various fast food chains started using higher quality products to satisfy those questions, but prices had to go up to support this. At one point, fast food was much cheaper than cooking your own meal but also far less healthier.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Hey Sarksauce. Glad you're doing better.

TL DR on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

The stereotype of seattle weather is really based on what its like in Jan. - April or so. Sometimes a month or more (I remember one year with 60+ days) without seeing the sun. Never gets really cold, doesn't actually rain a lot in terms of inches. But it never stops.

I figured the stereotype was based on a certain time of the year, yeah. And I don't mind the rain, really, just the post office being so damn far away. I should adapt my umbrella to being one of those umbrella hats, since I only ever use it for when I pick up packages anyway. :D

I'm doing better, though I would say my return is premature. I have other things in my life right now so I don't think I will be so reliant on this place in the future.

I can understand that. Still, it's good to see you around. :^:

Passerbye on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Well okay, for just myself I get a Double Classic, large fries, a bottled water, and a chicken sandwich off the value menu. What can I replace this meal with so that it's cheaper? The food on the Value Menu is smaller than what you find in the combo meals so you would have to account for that.

The easiest thing to replace would be the bottle of water. Bottled water is a rip, ask for a cup for water, cost $0. It will be small and you may have to get a lot of refills but free is free. I'm not personally familiar with wendy's menu (there isn't one around me) but I imagine you could pick up two $1 burgers and two $1 fries if you really wanted a lot of fries for a total expenditure of $4 and a similar amount if not more food.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Mojo!

Total of the charge.

1. hand over card
    2. receive receipt for charge for base price of $20.00 (not tip)
    3. sign receipt and add tip of $4.00
    4. card is then charged again for tip/original charge modified for tip

That's... just strange. There is no charge at step 2 that I've ever seen.

So, you go to a restaurant, and your bill is $18.00 and you pay with cc. They take your card, charge you the $18.00 to your cc and then you sign, add a $2.00 tip, and then they go and make a $2.00 charge to your cc. You get your statement eventually and it shows two charges that day for that restaurant, $18.00 and $2.00??

LaOs on
This discussion has been closed.