• Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    LaOs wrote: »
    Mojo!

I'm still not sure what you were talking about, with the credit card receipt and your signature... they bring you the bill, you send it back with your CC, which they bring back with the slip with the total price, a line for a tip, a line for the new total to be charged to your card, and a line for your signature. You add the necessary tip, tally the new final total, and sign the slip. I don't get what you mean saying you were signing before the final total was known.

Total of the charge.

As in, you sign the base charge and then add tip. They go back and charge the tip, de facto.

That... that's not how it works here, which is why I was not following what he was saying. Even when I've been in the states, it hasn't worked the way I'm interpreting what you are saying--it worked the way I described.

1. hand over card
    2. receive receipt for charge for base price of $20.00 (not tip)
    3. sign receipt and add tip of $4.00
    4. card is then charged again for tip/original charge modified for tip

That's... just strange. There is no charge at step 2 that I've ever seen.

So, you go to a restaurant, and your bill is $18.00 and you pay with cc. They take your card, charge you the $18.00 to your cc and then you sign, add a $2.00 tip, and then they go and make a $2.00 charge to your cc. You get your statement eventually and it shows two charges that day for that restaurant, $18.00 and $2.00??

Basically, at least to my understanding.

The actuality of how the charges really work is, I assume, somewhat complex. Like how a company can put a small $1 "hold" charge, and change it when the full amount is known (I've seen this at gas stations where they run the card authorization first for a small amount, and then bill the full amount "later").
    I've heard of that gas station stuff, but have never seen it here or in my limited time in the States. I don't doubt it happens, I guess, I just have only heard of that in the context of gas stations. What mojo mentioned and you described for restaurants was wholly foreign. It does not work like that here.

Well, I usually just tip in cash when I use a card.

Mostly because I work in finance, and I know how driving that urge to screw people is. I don't trust financial institutions further than I can throw their huge sacks of "bailout" bonu...er,"stimulus".

heh

LaOs on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    tumblr_kvoqi5ST0c1qa2nsho1_500.jpg

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    If you are a traveler from a country deemed a state sponsor of terrorism, prepare for "enhanced" screening, including pat-downs. According to the New York Daily News, the 14 countries on the list include Cuba, Iran, Sudan, Syria, Afghanistan, Algeria, Iraq, Lebanon, Libya, Nigeria, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Somalia and Yemen.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/2010/01/04/2010-01-04_its_touch_and_go_if_youre_flying_to_us.html

I would be very surprised if the TSA used that phrasing. State Sponsor of Terrorism is a very loaded phrase in diplomatic circles and one that would have the Saudis howling.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Sarksus wrote: »
    This process is completely invisible to the person pumping the gas, though.

It's not remotely invisible when you use a debit card.

Edit: Actually, it's not invisible with a credit card, either, but it's a lot worse with a debit card.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    It'll be funny when one of your neighbors shows up asking why you ordered a Koran in the funny looking language.

If they're stupid enough to come and ask about it then I'll be really surprised. Whoever's stealing packages has gotten away with it for the last three months and they seem to be selective about what they steal.

Given that the Koran was probably heavier than the chocolate, that may well be why they took it. Silly thief.

Passerbye on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Honestly if someone told me I wasn't allowed to fly I'd be pretty ok with it. Fuck dealing with airports, and that would be a good excuse to avoid extended family.

TL DR on
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Nexus, that shouldn't be so funny.

Why is that so funny?

Bama on
  • Options
    Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2010
    Mojo!

I'm still not sure what you were talking about, with the credit card receipt and your signature... they bring you the bill, you send it back with your CC, which they bring back with the slip with the total price, a line for a tip, a line for the new total to be charged to your card, and a line for your signature. You add the necessary tip, tally the new final total, and sign the slip. I don't get what you mean saying you were signing before the final total was known.

Total of the charge.

As in, you sign the base charge and then add tip. They go back and charge the tip, de facto.

That... that's not how it works here, which is why I was not following what he was saying. Even when I've been in the states, it hasn't worked the way I'm interpreting what you are saying--it worked the way I described.

1. hand over card
    2. receive receipt for charge for base price of $20.00 (not tip)
    3. sign receipt and add tip of $4.00
    4. card is then charged again for tip/original charge modified for tip

That's... just strange. There is no charge at step 2 that I've ever seen.

So, you go to a restaurant, and your bill is $18.00 and you pay with cc. They take your card, charge you the $18.00 to your cc and then you sign, add a $2.00 tip, and then they go and make a $2.00 charge to your cc. You get your statement eventually and it shows two charges that day for that restaurant, $18.00 and $2.00??

Basically, at least to my understanding.

The actuality of how the charges really work is, I assume, somewhat complex. Like how a company can put a small $1 "hold" charge, and change it when the full amount is known (I've seen this at gas stations where they run the card authorization first for a small amount, and then bill the full amount "later").

You always get charged the bill+tip in one go, not two separate charges. What happens is they swipe your card, which verifies that the card is valid and opens, more or less, a temporary tab. You then get your receipt which you add tip and sign and then leave. The waitress then goes back to the register, adds the tip value you put, and then closes the tab, charging then.

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Passerbye wrote: »
    It'll be funny when one of your neighbors shows up asking why you ordered a Koran in the funny looking language.

If they're stupid enough to come and ask about it then I'll be really surprised. Whoever's stealing packages has gotten away with it for the last three months and they seem to be selective about what they steal.

Given that the Koran was probably heavier than the chocolate, that may well be why they took it. Silly thief.

Hey, maybe they will read it and convert? Win for you? Except you no longer have the Koran you payed for...

Arch on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    If you are a traveler from a country deemed a state sponsor of terrorism, prepare for "enhanced" screening, including pat-downs. According to the New York Daily News, the 14 countries on the list include Cuba, Iran, Sudan, Syria, Afghanistan, Algeria, Iraq, Lebanon, Libya, Nigeria, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Somalia and Yemen.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/2010/01/04/2010-01-04_its_touch_and_go_if_youre_flying_to_us.html

I would be very surprised if the TSA used that phrasing. State Sponsor of Terrorism is a very loaded phrase in diplomatic circles and one that would have the Saudis howling.

Yeah, that was my first thought as well.

TL DR on
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Yeah, Kuwait, the close ally of the US is a country one should be suspicious of

anyway why did everyone start calling it a koran and not a qur'an in here I thought that's what you did in english

(we use koran)

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Feral wrote: »

Really? I've used a debit card to pay at the pump and it works just like a credit card except you enter your PIN. From my perspective there is no indication that it's checking your account for usable funds, there's just a slight delay while it's doing it.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Arch wrote: »

Hey, maybe they will read it and convert? Win for you? Except you no longer have the Koran you payed for...
    But how can you put a price on bringing your brother to Allah, who is god, and to the teachings of Muhammad, who is his prophet?

Bama on
  • Options
    PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010

If they can read Arabic then chances are good they're already familiar with the Koran.

That, and it was a gift since she found out all three of my Korans are translations. Mostly I'm just disappointed that such beautiful poetry may well be in the hands of someone who won't get to appreciate it.

Passerbye on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Also, the way restaurants usually work is one of two ways:

A) The charge doesn't come through until a few days after the dinner, and the charge is the full amount including tip.

B) The restaurant puts an immediate hold for the base amount of the receipt. Then a day or two later they put in a charge for the full amount including tip. That releases the hold, but it might take the bank up to a week to actually process the released hold.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Keep in mind I'm not basing what I'm saying off of my experiences pumping gas. I work at a gas station and the entire process is visible to me on the computers inside the store.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    If they can read Arabic then chances are good they're already familiar with the Koran.

That, and it was a gift since she found out all three of my Korans are translations. Mostly I'm just disappointed that such beautiful poetry may well be in the hands of someone who won't get to appreciate it.

Are you some kind of artfag now too?

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

What rhymes with "durka"? I kid, I kid.

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Justin, try to be more like Kakos.

I haven't thought that through outside the context of your replies to Passer's post, but I think it'd be an improvement overall.

Bama on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Yeah, Kuwait, the close ally of the US is a country one should be suspicious of

anyway why did everyone start calling it a koran and not a qur'an in here I thought that's what you did in english

(we use koran)

The original word isn't in the Latin alphabet so the transliteration can take a few forms.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Really? I've used a debit card to pay at the pump and it works just like a credit card except you enter your PIN. From my perspective there is no indication that it's checking your account for usable funds, there's just a slight delay while it's doing it.

Here's what it looks like on my (Chase, formerly WaMu) account.

Let's say I have $2000 in my checking account, and I fill up for $32 on January 1, 2010.

On 1/1/2010, I see a "Pending Transaction" for some arbitrary amount. Usually, it's $50, but it could be as much as $100. This reduces my available balance to $1950.

Around 1/3/2010 or 1/4/2010, I see the actual charge of $32, but it's backdated to 1/1/2010. My available balance is now $1918.

Sometime around 1/8/2010, the pending transaction for $50 is released, bringing my available balance back to $1968.

Feral on

• Options
    edited January 2010

Dude I have my BFA. I've always been some kind of artfag.

Passerbye on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Honestly if someone told me I wasn't allowed to fly I'd be pretty ok with it. Fuck dealing with airports, and that would be a good excuse to avoid extended family.

flying fucking sucks

the older I get the less I like the act of traveling

teleporter plz

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Bama wrote: »

I haven't thought that through outside the context of your replies to Passer's post, but I think it'd be an improvement overall.

So I should owe myself money and then try to creepily figure out a girl's phone number from someone's blanked out photo?

Okay then.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    Hi, [chat]

EDIT: Man, I would love that for the same reasons, Timothy

only now I live within driving distance of most of them. :?

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Oh.

Do you think I pay attention to this shit? If it's not tits, then gtfo.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Restaurants often, but not always, work similarly to above.

Let's say I have $2000 in my checking account, and on 1/1/2010 I go to dinner for $32 and leave a $5 tip.

On 1/1/2010, I see a "pending transaction" for $32. My available balance is now $1968.

Sometime around 1/3/2010 or 1/4/2010, I see the full charge of $37 go through. My available balance is now $1931.

Sometime around 1/8/2010, the pending transaction is released and my available balance goes back up to
    $1963.

Feral on

• Options
    edited January 2010
    Bama wrote: »

So I should owe myself money and then try to creepily figure out a girl's phone number from someone's blanked out photo?

Okay then.

Yeah, you're going to PAX Boston, right? I can collect my money then. Sweet.

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    The Crowing OneThe Crowing One Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Oh.

At least it isn't an MFA.

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Oh.

Sorry, the only nude photos I've done have been of men.

I did do a nice sculpture of a female torso once, but it's at my parents' so I can get a picture of it for you.

Passerbye on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Let's say I have $2000 in my checking account, and on 1/1/2010 I go to dinner for $32 and leave a $5 tip.

On 1/1/2010, I see a "pending transaction" for $32. My available balance is now $1968.

Sometime around 1/3/2010 or 1/4/2010, I see the full charge of $37 go through. My available balance is now $1931.

Sometime around 1/8/2010, the pending transaction is released and my available balance goes back up to
    $1963.

$5 tip? What a cheap ass.

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    You still smoked kakos, he owes you nothing!

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I already told you I'm not paying you for what you done did.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    By the way, it works exactly the same on my American Express card, except I can't see the individual holds. All I see at any given time is a sum of all the holds on the account.

If I'm on vacation and eating in restaurants and renting a car (which, of course, I'm gassing up) I might have anywhere from $200 to $500 in pending holds at any given time.

Feral on

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Hey brad, my mom is here from mass and she cant wait 2 c ur show @ irvine improv 2moro.

Jesus it hurts to read that.

Also class starts today... Ugh....... Have to leave in like 20 minutes.

urahonky on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

$1963.

Seriously, I had a 60 dollar tab at a joint this weekend and I left a 30 dollar tip.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Oh.

Sorry, the only nude photos I've done have been of men.

I did do a nice sculpture of a female torso once, but it's at my parents' so I can get a picture of it for you.

This was unexpected. I expected some kind of response about how I should love old art because roman and greek stuff is full of tits.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Shut up, it's for illustrative purposes.

Feral on

This discussion has been closed.