As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

BSOD, and power failure when rendering... halp!

maverickpixelmaverickpixel Registered User regular
edited February 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
hello everyone, im having some troubles with my pc...

it seems that when i try to do anything taxing with the computer ( rendering) ill either get a BSOD with the info

machine_check_exception
stop:0x0000009C
(0x0000000, 0xF7713050, 0xB2000040, 0x000000800)

and other times the whole rig will just shut off.

any ideas what this might be?

-Mike

maverickpixel on

• Options
    rfaliasrfalias Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Hardware errors.
    * System bus errors
    * Memory errors that may include parity or Error Correction Code (ECC) problems
    * Cache errors in the processor or hardware
    * Translation Lookaside Buffers (TLB) errors in the processor
    * Other CPU-vendor specific detected hardware problems
    * Vendor-specific detected hardware problems

Specifically when doing taxing things :)

Post your specs!
    Also, read for victory!
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/329284

Oh! And check the error log, when you start back up, look for the "Windows Recovered from a serious error" dialog, click more info and see if anything was reported.
    Start-> Run-> eventvwr.msc

And another edit for my own opinion:
    I bet it's not enough power, or failing powersupply. Post power supply watts and make/model if possible.

rfalias on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X2048-6400 - Retail

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80557E6600 - Retail
    Item #: N82E16819115003

NEC 16X DVD±R DVD Burner Silver IDE/ATAPI Model ND-3550A - OEM
    Item #: N82E16827152060

SAMSUNG Beige 1.44MB 3.5" Internal Floppy Drive Windows 98SE/ ME/ 2000/ XP - OEM
    Item #: N82E16821103202

ASUS P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI x 16 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
    Item #: N82E16813131031

Linkworld 3210-04-C2628 Black/ Silver Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
    Item #: N82E16811164040

Rosewill Stallion Series RD500-2DB 500W ATX12V Power Supply - Retail
    Item #: N82E16817182044

MSI NX7900GTX-T2D512E GeForce 7900GTX 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 SLI Support Video Card With Full Version Game King ... - Retail

maverickpixel on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    The wattage is a little low for my tastes, and I could see if you are really hammering it, it failing. Especially if the entire load is on a single rail. It's possible all the hardware is on one rail so it's draining it when you are rendering and killing it. Try getting if off of the one rail if it's all on it.

Other than that it might just not be enough juice. Are you running in SLI configuration?

rfalias on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    not sure about the rails... never heard of that before, is it like using one cord and branching off of it?

and i only have one vid card so i cant be running sli correct? i would need 2...?

maverickpixel on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Right, SLI is two

The rails are where the 12v current is coming from. This power supply has two rails supplying 12v power. One at 15A and one at 16A. Video cards draw a lot from the powersupply, especially under heavy use.

If you load up all of your hardware on to one rail, there may not be enough amperage to supply it all.
    I looked at the pictures and it's hard to tell where the rails are, you can usually tell by the "single" yellow wire that chains together the molex connectors. Try switching the connectors with different ones. Just one at a time then try to stress it. It's kind of a shot in the dark, but better to try something before trying a new PSU

Unless you want to use a multimeter and measure the output power it will be difficult to really tell otherwise.

rfalias on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    so a bit of an update here...

i went ahead and replaced the ram (upped too 8 gigs) got windows 7 64, and a 2tb h, and finally a 550w corsair ps. almost 100w over what newegg suggested

now it boots up, gets to the windows screen.... then dies. ive logged on once i think then it dies

im going nuts here!

maverickpixel on
  • Options
    ashridahashridah Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    BSODs and Random poweroffs during high load scream "poor cooling" to me, if you've already replaced the power supply.

If you assembled this yourself, check that there's enough thermal grease between the heatsink and cpu, and that it's seated correctly. Clean out any dust, etc that might be impeding airflow.

The change in behavior is weird though, but new software can work in completely different ways, so it's not impossible.

Make sure your ram is okay (use memtest86+ from a CD/memory key), make sure the bios is driving them at the right speed and not overclocking your RAM/cpu without you realizing, etc.

ashridah on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    how can i run a ram test when the comp wont boot up anymore?

maverickpixel on
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    how can i run a ram test when the comp wont boot up anymore?

first things first: have you checked that the cpu is in adequate contact with your heatsink? is there enough thermal compound? is there too much thermal compound? remember that things like too much thermal compound, human hair, and even oil from your skin can impede the heat transfer if it's contaminating the thermal compound.

next, reseat all of the components, and make sure everything is seated correctly. i mean your video and expansion cards and your RAM sticks.

if your computer still won't boot, you may have a bad component, which means you'd need to remove things one by one until you isolate the faulty part.

and your PSU to me is still too low a wattage. Newegg's PSU recommendations should be taken with a grain of salt. i found it safest to tack on at least an additional 100W to whatever Newegg recommends.

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562