As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

D&D Boston PAXEast meetup: UPDATED 03/08; P14

• Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited March 2010
    Okay SO

i just talked again to a lady at the restaurant (maybe the same lady?) and she is now telling me that I don't need to put down a deposit for the reservation. So that's good? I guess?

In any case i plan on going to the restaurant after work one day this week and talking to someone face to face - and hopefully with advanced english skills - to work out these details.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Oh, cool. If there's no deposit (specifically, no minimum order), then I'm definitely confirmed.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    Fuck Springfield.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    The Crowing OneThe Crowing One Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Fuck Springfield.

No love?

EDIT: Have you ever actually been to Springfield?

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Yes I've been to Springfield.

It's no Worcester, I'll tell you that much.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Worcester is a wonderful city. So wonderful that every little chicken bone I step on in the street gives me a giddy feeling: there's life here.

Yeah, I like Worcester better, too.

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Shit it's been so long since I've been to Boston. I better brush up on my Bostonese.

Where did I pahk the cah?

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Will is gonna spend the whole night making fun of my accent. According to him, I have a thick accent.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Taranis wrote: »
    Shit it's been so long since I've been to Boston.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rp6feZ2zWdo

Bama on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Yes I've been to Springfield.

It's no Worcester, I'll tell you that much.

Glass houses Brockton.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Bama wrote: »
    Taranis wrote: »
    Shit it's been so long since I've been to Boston.
    Updated for this century's cliche Boston song

Although I have a feeling some of you boys are going to end more likethis and Will will end up bailing you out

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited March 2010
    okay so i am going to this restaurant tonight with my lady

are there any questions you want me to find the answers to while i am out tonight?

i will check on the beer & wine selection, and see if they can make cocktails or mixed drinks, and look at the associated prices.

i will also order a few dishes i have not had before to expand what i can recommend.

anything else?

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Irond Will wrote: »

are there any questions you want me to find the answers to while i am out tonight?

i will check on the beer & wine selection, and see if they can make cocktails or mixed drinks, and look at the associated prices.

i will also order a few dishes i have not had before to expand what i can recommend.

anything else?

I'm vegan, so I guess I'd want to know if they use sauces with fish in them or cook the vegetables in oils or broths with meat in them or animal fat or anything like that. Waiters at Asian places don't always know what I'm talking about when I ask is a dish is vegan, and half of them think fish aren't meat, so it'd help to know in advance.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Damn, Will, you're awesome.

Questions?

1. How expensive is a double whiskey and a cheap beer?
    2. Deposit shenanigans!

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Find out how they feel about splitting a check 30 odd ways. It may pay (ha!) to have a "you have to bring cash to this" plan in place before everyone shows up.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I was planning to pay with a combination of cash, traveller's checks, and my credit card.

Bama on
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I intend to pay with a gentleman's IOU. Is this satisfactory?

If you could scope out dishes that look really simple that would be great. I am not into complicated food and if there's weird shit in my food I won't eat it!

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    i am going to really recommend that people bring cash to dinner regardless of whether they are going to be willing to split a check 30 ways.

i mean they are absolutely bound to fuck up a split like that; it is simply inevitable. we can ask for separate checks, and they might even try to accommodate us, but it will turn out to be a problem at some point to someone and it will be better to have cash either way.

so i will add this to the OP, but it will be something like:

bring enough cash for your meal!
    expect to tip 20% even if that's not how it's done in topeka!
    be honest and generous in your assessment of your share!

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I was going to use a combination of Tuvan throat singing and interpretive dance to pay for my portion.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    So, around 30 people, all carrying at least $30 in cash, all in one place at a specific, known time.

I'll remember to pack my ski mask. I'm sure it will be cold.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Sarksus wrote: »

If you could scope out dishes that look really simple that would be great. I am not into complicated food and if there's weird shit in my food I won't eat it!

a gentleman's IOU is legal tender in all civilized nations of course

and you might want to look over their menu in advance, since it is reasonably authentic Malaysian food and therefore varies significantly from the Applebee's menu.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I'm vegan, so I guess I'd want to know if they use sauces with fish in them or cook the vegetables in oils or broths with meat in them or animal fat or anything like that. Waiters at Asian places don't always know what I'm talking about when I ask is a dish is vegan, and half of them think fish aren't meat, so it'd help to know in advance.

Now I have ordered the watercress before and while i can't guarantee it was vegan, i do not remember any explicit meat being in there.

there are a couple of other tofu dishes on the menu and they might be vegan.

my experience with east asian natives and east asian restaurants is that they are generally kind of puzzled at the very idea of a vegan.

it's like "no, it's okay - we won't charge you extra for the pork broth!"

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    SpacklerSpackler Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

anything else?

Stop being so damn nice and accommodating. :P

And mandating cash is a good idea - maybe even bring some smaller bills to facilitate change-making.

edit - and make sure they're unmarked to make things more convenient for matt.

Spackler on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Bama wrote: »
    I was planning to pay with a combination of cash, traveller's checks, and my credit card.

I plan to use travelers checks, rolls of pennies and Bama's credit card
    Sarksus wrote: »

a gentleman's IOU is legal tender in all civilized nations of course

and you might want to look over their menu in advance, since it is reasonably authentic Malaysian food and therefore varies significantly from the Applebee's menu.

But they have sliders and pizza right?

/white rice it is!

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Now I have ordered the watercress before and while i can't guarantee it was vegan, i do not remember any explicit meat being in there.

there are a couple of other tofu dishes on the menu and they might be vegan.

my experience with east asian natives and east asian restaurants is that they are generally kind of puzzled at the very idea of a vegan.

it's like "no, it's okay - we won't charge you extra for the pork broth!"

Yeah, it's kind of a buzzkill to have to make a waiter understand when you're in a large group, because you feel like you're holding up everyone else's orders.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    "Vegetarian Cassarole"
    "CURRY MIXED VEGETABLE CLAY POT "
    WATERCRESS WITH PRESERVED BEAN CURD PASTE SAUCE
    "Satay Bean Curd"
    Achat
    MALAYSIAN BUDDHIST
    BEAN CURD IN THAI STYLE

maybe a few others that don't explictly have meat in them anyways

are you picky and vegan or just vegan?

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I don't like to eat fried foods or anything with too much oil, but that's it. There are definitely things on the menu that I'd eat, provided I knew there was no meat used to make the sauce or the broth, as the case may be.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I don't tip.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I don't know how I'm going to pay.

All the cash I have is in CSA notes. D:

:P

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I don't like to eat fried foods or anything with too much oil, but that's it. There are definitely things on the menu that I'd eat, provided I knew there was no meat used to make the sauce or the broth, as the case may be.

This is pretty much where I'm at. I'm glad I'm not the only vegan going to this shindig.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I have confirmation from two friends. The other one is dodging me.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited March 2010
    I don't tip.
    You might not have a choice. Most restaurants will add the gratuity in for groups of 6-8 or more.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Everyone should confirm anyway even if there is no deposit involved just so we have a solid number for the restaurant to expect.

So It Goes on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    God damn it people.

mr.pinkdoesnottip.jpg

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I got it Justin.

I will be bringing $40 I'm sure, and I don't even drink.

this may be the fact that this was in high school talking, but in my experience when there are a lot of people paying a bill it's ALWAYS short. not that I think anyone here would try to screw anyone else...

it'll be good for them to split it at all, just to make it simpler.

also do we have any like fucking math heads coming? someone who breaking down a check would be a joke to?

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Variable wrote: »
    also do we have any like fucking math heads coming? someone who breaking down a check would be a joke to?

I'm in finance. Doesn't mean I know anything about numbers, though.

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    What time are you guys planning to eat?

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2010
    when the bill comes, text me

i have a jew brain so i will manage to get you all to satisfy the balance without spending more than a couple of dollars each

Organichu on
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I have an iPhone, it has a bunch of useless applications including one that lets you split bills.

I'm not going to download it, I just wanted everyone to know I had an iPhone.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Who needs Organichu? I'll have a penny pinching jew in my entourage.

JustinSane07 on