As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pidgin Question

TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The DjinneratorAt the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
edited January 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Sorry if this question is more suited toward the Tavern, but I'm hoping that more eyes see it here.

I just started using Pidgin on Windows 7, and I'm a little concerned about its behavior when connecting to AIM. It seems to open way more ports/connections than it needs, and I'm not sure if this is normal. Trillian certainly doesn't open nearly so many ports.

For example, when Pidgin is connected to YIM things are somewhat more trim:
2hz4xhe.jpg

But when connecting to AIM, Pidgin idles with over ten open ports:
k30saq.jpg

Trillian only every has at most two connections with distinct endpoints open, so this is a weird change to me. I admit I don't know what's going on here, and it could be harmless. But I find it a little bit peculiar. Any advice on the matter would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

TetraNitroCubane on

• Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I never had much luck with Pidgin under Windows. Miranda worked much better for me.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I never had much luck with Pidgin under Windows. Miranda worked much better for me.

I've not looked into Miranda! I've been toying with all the IM clients I can tool around with to see which feels best and safest, but completely forgot about that one. Thanks for the tip, there.

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Its been awhile since I've used it, it can be a royal pain to get looking right, but oh my holy crap can you make it look pretty.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!