As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

NBA Jam Returns! Wii version out now! 360/PS3 versions out today.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Don't know why you'd want this version if you have the arcade unit available to you, then..

I don't know, maybe he wants to play it on his own time, instead of going over to his friend's house whenever he wants to play?

:...:

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    angrylinuxgeekangrylinuxgeek Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Veevee wrote: »
    The only reason to get this game is to play with your friends across the country over the internet.

angrylinuxgeek on
    sQwJu.png
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Holy shit. Get your own damn thread if you want to talk about offline vs online. I really don't want to read another 50 posts about how someone's stupid for having an opinion.

urahonky on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2010
    Played a bit of it at someone's house again. I do agree with the reviews that it is a big homage to the arcade, to the point that you should only play it in short bursts as if you had to plug quarters into it. You'll burn yourself out if you try to play this for hours on end.

Also, EA could have done a much better job with the menus and in-game screens.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    urahonky wrote: »
    Holy shit. Get your own damn thread if you want to talk about offline vs online. I really don't want to read another 50 posts about how someone's stupid for having an opinion.

Excuse me for posting a message on a message board.

Alternatively, stop having stupid opinions.

Veevee on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Anyone past this post who is

1) posting just to bitch about thet lack of online in the Wii version
    and
    2) are going to buy the 360/PS3 version for online anyway

will get a nice click on the report button for being obtuse. If you're getting what you want anyway, stop shitting on the Wii version. If you wish to discuss offline versus online, start a new thread about the topic.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    its my thread and i'll report if i want to

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I'm going to go DOWWWNNNNNTOOOOWN

Speaking of which, I tended to get quite a few goaltending penalties every time people did that, even if I was off the hoop.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    angrylinuxgeekangrylinuxgeek Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    what's with the backseat modding in G&T lately?

angrylinuxgeek on
    sQwJu.png
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm going to go DOWWWNNNNNTOOOOWN

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKCnHWas3HQ

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited October 2010
    Gentlemen.

Echo on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    NBA Jam, like Super Smash Bros. & Mario Kart Wii before it, always seemed like something that would just lose it's soul online. When you're in a room full of people the game becomes 20 times more hilarious and fun.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    It's also more hilarious with the motion controls too.

Although it does support Classic Controller pretty well, I think most people will be playing with that one.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    BTPBTP Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    If you wish to discuss offline versus online, start a new thread about the topic.

DONE!

"Online vs. Offline" (or "Bandwidth vs. Couchwidth") Multiplayer Gaming

BTP on
    Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
    I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
    Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
    Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
    Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
    TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
    Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
    Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Fantastic.

And shall I say that you boom shaka'd that laka! :P

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited October 2010
  • Options
    Dr Mario KartDr Mario Kart Games Dealer Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    those red jerseys look communist to me. So how do you unlock them?

Dr Mario Kart on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    It's in the OP, but it's something like Press Left 13 times then + for Dems, Right 13 Times then + for Republicans on Team Select screen.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Woo hoo got this essentially for free today. Thank you Toys R Us!!

Now if the next gen versions come out at a reasonable price I'll just sell/trade this in, and I can be jammin' until that day comes.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Inkyblots wrote: »
    I just booted it up, he says "BOOM SHAKA LAKA!"
    Weak! :P I was hoping for the same thing, brynstar. Although in the SNES NBA Jam TE game he didn't say that at boot up, you had to start the game and get to the prompt for choosing to enter your intials. Maybe it comes later?! Seems like Inky would mention that, though... :(

Inkyblots, thanks for checking. :)

I guess that will have to suffice. Definitely picking this up in the near future.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    For some reason I was convinced that the faces in this game were 3d models. That video outright sold me on the 360 version when it comes out!

Also the previous pages are some terrifying shit.

Turkey on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Hmm. When it was a cheap downloadable game, I may have actually picked it up. Now that it'll be 60 bucks?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    ... signs point to at least a $50 and likely a $60 price point for this release.

Ahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Holiday or no holiday, this thing is going to tank.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I don't see how this surprises anyone, the signs were there ever since they took it out of the bundle. But people kept assuming it wouldn't be...
    ... signs point to at least a $50 and likely a $60 price point for this release.

And yet still make them more money than it would've as a download!

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Told. You.

BOOM SHAKALAKA

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I don't see how this surprises anyone, the signs were there ever since they took it out of the bundle. But people kept assuming it wouldn't be...

And yet still make them more money than it would've as a download!

It's like movie theater popcorn pricing.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I'm amazed at the amount of people who were in such denial over the whole ordeal.

Everything they said pointed to retail, so this shouldn't shock anyone.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Eh, not everything pointed to retail. They had a downloadable game ready to go, they have to build good will with gamers (releasing an underfeatured game for $60 will definitely not do that), and putting more effort into the game will cost a lot more.

Nobody has put any statistics in this thread to say that they'd make more profit at $60 than at $20. (consider: they have to remember that they just destroyed a lot they had built up last year with NBA Live 10; NBA Delete 11 isn't being released; they need to get market share back next year when NBA Delete 12 is released). It isn't just about here and now; it is about the future - the NBA license is NOT cheap.

This game will tank and will not review well and will create ill-will from gamers. I'll get it in March when it is $20 :)

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Why will it review poorly?

So far the Wii reviews have all been fantastic, why would the HD versions review worse?

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I find it kind of harrowing that people will wish a game to fail just because they don't want to pay a certain price for it, but oh well.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I find it kind of harrowing that people will wish a game to fail just because they don't want to pay a certain price for it, but oh well.

It's more like people wish the game will fail because they think it will send a message to EA that releasing a pack-in game turned into a PSN/XBLA game that's worth $15 max as a retail game for $50-$60 is greedy and stupid.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Why will it review poorly?

So far the Wii reviews have all been fantastic, why would the HD versions review worse?
    Wii gamers and 360/PS3 gamers are different?
    I don't wish it to fail, although I'm not a huge fan of EA Sports. I hope you can sleep better at night knowing that.

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

It's more like people wish the game will fail because they think it will send a message to EA that releasing a pack-in game turned into a PSN/XBLA game that's worth $15 max as a retail game for $50-$60 is greedy and stupid.

Except that, in reality, it's a $50 Wii game with online play added in. That might be worth $60, depending on how much you like NBA Jam and online play (I like both of those things, so I might buy this).

One Thousand Cables on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Eh, well, yeah all this is pretty crazy, but something noone is expecting could also happen, like maybe they drop the price of the Wii one at the release of HD, so that they're both 40 bucks or something. I doubt anyone could find anything to complain about then.

Also, I own Jam though I haven't played it yet because NBA 2K is too friggin amazing. Soon I will remedy this.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Except that, in reality, it's a $50 Wii game with online play added in. That might be worth $60, depending on how much you like NBA Jam and online play (I like both of those things, so I might buy this).

Nothing in the videos I've seen leads me to believe that this game is worth $50.

It's an HD re-release of a seventeen year old arcade game with online play. That's what a significant portion of the XBLA/PSN libraries are comprised of. NBA Jam looks like a rad $15 game. Reviews are going to say it's awesome but slam the pricetag, and hardly anyone is going to buy it until it hits the $20 bin.

You don't just take a side project, throw in some online play, and then slap a full retail pricetag on it just because you're desperate to make back some of the money you lost on development of your pathetically sub-par "actual" NBA game.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    It's not a side project, though

Are you paying attention at all? This isn't the original stripped-down version that was going to be included in NBA Elite.

This is the Wii version, with all the remix modes added in, in HD, with online play, for possibly $10 more than the Wii version.

That's awesome, sign me the fuck up

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    It's not a side project, though

Are you paying attention at all? This isn't the original stripped-down version that was going to be included in NBA Elite.

This is the Wii version, with all the remix modes added in, in HD, with online play, for possibly $10 more than the Wii version.

That's awesome, sign me the fuck up

This.

Stop complaining, they are giving the HD systems the full game with all the neat stuff along with online.

The question people have to ask themselves now, is HD and Online worth the extra 10 bucks?

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, even with the remix mode and the legends it doesn't seem there is more content to the game than a regular XBLA game. And online mode is standard with XBLA. It is a cash grab, and with all the other great games that came out recently it just won't work.

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Don't forget they gotta charge an extra 10 bucks for online play for anyone who buys the game used with their silly litte "EA Online Pass" token they put in all their games.

Allforce on