As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

NBA Jam Returns! Wii version out now! 360/PS3 versions out today.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    so now that the Wii version is the worst version, is the topic going to be edited to fix that

But it's not

They're all gimped in their own unique way

Except the way that the Wii version is gimped is pretty much par for the course for Wii games, so a lot of the supporters here aren't even taking note of it

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    angrylinuxgeekangrylinuxgeek Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    so now that the Wii version is the worst version, is the topic going to be edited to fix that

But it's not

They're all gimped in their own unique way

Except the way that the Wii version is gimped is pretty much par for the course for Wii games, so a lot of the supporters here aren't even taking note of it

no multi makes it objectively the worst. what ever happened to "no the Wii online system is fine and it's free" crowd from a few months ago?

angrylinuxgeek on
    sQwJu.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    No online multi

The PS3/360 versions are missing the Remix mode, which is the real meat of the game. I'd still say the Wii version is ahead.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    No online multi

The PS3/360 versions are missing the Remix mode, which is the real meat of the game. I'd still say the Wii version is ahead.

when I remember my days playing NBA Jam, playing boss battles by myself is what I remember most fondly.

angrylinuxgeek on
    sQwJu.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    No online multi

when I remember my days playing NBA Jam, playing boss battles by myself is what I remember most fondly.

As opposed to playing online against xXxTopBlunt420xXx?

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    No online multi

As opposed to playing online against xXxTopBlunt420xXx?

nope, it was playing with my friends who have grown up and moved across the country after college :?

angrylinuxgeek on
    sQwJu.png
  • Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yeah the Remix Mode with "boss battles' sounds like the most ridiculous thing ever. I wouldn't be surprised if Kirby and Mario are unlockable characters for the Charlotte Bobcats or you have to face Ganon in a dunk-off to advance.

I don't get why EA just didn't just put this out for every system's downloadable service, charge 15-20 bucks, and call it a day.

Allforce on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2010
    mugginns wrote: »
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Most Wii dudes on this forum seem to not really care about online play, so it probably won't hurt the already poor sales of the game on that console

When it releases for XBLA it'll have MP

The gaming public in general still doesn't care much about online. Almost all console games (besides the ones that require online) have only about 20% online userbase (out of all new copies sold) if they're something like Halo or CoD. Then it's only downwards from there for any other game.

I'm always amused when people say Live functionality will make or break a game. Even games only available online in the XBLA ghetto have about the same percentage that actually play it online
    It'll have MP when it comes to XBLA.

EA has never released a 'exclusive' bundled game on XBLA or PSN at a later date. And I'm pretty sure they have an agreement with Nintendo that prevents it from ever being sold directly on XBLA.

Just buy a code off the 60%+ of people that will buy NBA Live and not have Live/PSN and therefore cannot redeem the code.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    No online multi

Why are you arguing against him, he's beyond reason when it comes to his anti Wii comments. :P

The XBL version could come with only one playable character and he would still call it the superior version.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    EA has never released a 'exclusive' bundled game on XBLA or PSN at a later date. And I'm pretty sure they have an agreement with Nintendo that prevents it from ever being sold directly on XBLA.

Just buy a code off the 60%+ of people that will buy NBA Live and not have Live/PSN and therefore cannot redeem the code.
    Yeah, PA people thought it wouldn't be Wii Exclusive there for a while too. It'll be on XBLA eventually. I can wait.

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Yes because people assumed EA wasn't desperately trying to entice people to buy NBA Live over Michael Jordan Paycheck 2011.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    EA isn't really a company to do exclusives, which means I wasn't surprised in the least that it would end up on the Xbox/PS3.

It does suck however that they gimped both versions, as there is no reason to have taken either thing out of the different versions. On the other hand, I'm glad that everyone will get a chance to play what will hopefully be a grand return of one of my favorite Genesis/SNES/Arcade franchises.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    EA isn't really a company to do exclusives, which means I wasn't surprised in the least that it would end up on the Xbox/PS3.

It does suck however that they gimped both versions, as there is no reason to have taken either thing out of the different versions. On the other hand, I'm glad that everyone will get a chance to play what will hopefully be a grand return of one of my favorite Genesis/SNES/Arcade franchises.

*looks at exclusive PSN versions of games included with latest PS3 releases*

*looks at exclusive Mario crew in SSX On Tour and NBA Street 3*

*looks at Super Punch Out included with Gamecube version of Fight Night Round 2*

EA fucking loves exclusives.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Ok Mr. Technicality, they don't do many exclusives for major games.

Or something. :P

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The punchout one was pretty good, the rest were basically cosmetic.

EA does love this shit though.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    UltimanecatUltimanecat Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I just read through this thread to catch up and it is, without a doubt, the most ridiculous CONSOLEWARZ thread I've seen here at PA. Not naming names. I'd hope you'd know who you are if you are acting like a slapdick. Just buy it for whatever damn system has the best features and pricepoint and call it a day (or alternatively, if you only have one system anyway, buy it for that and don't come trying to justify your lack of choice).

I'd lean Wii myself, but I don't have my Wii with me. Such fond memories of Air Dog, and playing this game as silly 7th graders where every single line out of the announcers mouth could be sexualized.

Man, kids are stupid.
    WIDE OPEN!
    AND HE JAMS IT IN!

Ultimanecat on
    SteamID : same as my PA forum name
  • Options
    delphinusdelphinus Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    getting the Wii version. stuffing someone in the face with motion controls was too fun at pax

delphinus on
  • Options
    TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Tommatt, NBA2k11 is looking glorious this year (as always) if you're the sports game type. Elite 11 is getting trashed even by EA fanboys.

I'm on an every 2-3 year cycle with sports games. BOught NHL 09, bought NHL11. Got madden 10, glad I didn't get 11, hope I'll buy next years cheap. ( don't like the changes I've heard of, going to a friends house to play it soon. Football is my favorite sport)

I love basketball games, last one is NBA 2k8 I believe, my problem is I like the phoenix suns. And they're style of basketball seems hard to emulate at the moment (Its steve nash playing hockey basically most the time)

My GF looks innocent, has kids, so the taking advantage of gamespot is sounding good. I was even talking to her and my bro about NBA Jam, and how all versions are getting dicked in someway, and my idea to get the game the way I want it on 360.

$20 XBLA title with everything included? Would sell like shit in a fly store.

Tommatt on
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I talked with an EA rep that worked on Jam while at PAX last week. I got some straight up answers from him along with my own personal notes from playing the game:

-No online mode for Wii because they couldn't get the game to 60fps, only 30. Said that the difference was jarring and that fans wouldn't be happy with it so they dropped it.

-Wii motion controls: Up to jump, Down to dunk or release shot. A to pass, B to steal on defense or spin on offense, Z to use turbo. Steal + Turbo is shove. Turbo plus jump when not holding the ball makes you leap into the air setting up an alley-oop.

-I played using those controls at PAX and they worked fine for me. Side note, the used to have spin move/steal as side to side motions but removed them after having to many problems with errant jumps and steals. Smart move.

-Saw people using Classic Controllers to play like back in the SNES days. Didn't see GC controllers, so I can't confirm they are usable.

-Goaltending doesn't occur when you're on fire just like in the old game.

-Halftime allows you to view player stats and swap out characters for the second half.

-Wii version DOES support 4 player local competitive multiplayer.

-PSN/XBL are basically Jam with local and online multiplayer. No tour modes or extras from the Wii version. Is a free download when you purchase NBA Elite.

-Wanted to support the Oklahoma Thunder team (formally the Seattle Supersonics) so no Gary Payton or Shawn Kemp to be found anywhere. Oddly enough, Detfel Shremp still makes the Oklahoma roster and Payton is on the Boston roster.

-My girlfriend and I played against two other guys at PAX. I grew up on arcade Jam while she never played it in her life. We used Motion Controls, they used Classic Controllers. By the end of the first quarter we were down 12-4. Halftime saw us down by 23 points. Third quarter starts and my girlfriend learns how to start shoving and becomes a on court menace to society. She then follows up with her first ever dunk, slamming the Wii remote down with authority, and a crowd behind us goes nuts. I get on fire and we close the gap to 10 points. With seconds left in the final quarter, we take a two point lead. The crowd again goes nuts. They score to tie it up and shove me on the inbound pass and score as time expires. We lose by two in what was probably the most exciting game of the day.

Long and short, I found the game to be awesome, old-school fun. Get the Wii version if you don't care about online, or really want the additional boss mode stuff. Get the XBLA/PSN version if you don't care about extra modes, or really want to play the game online. Pretty simple choice to be honest.

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    MNC Dover wrote: »

The extent of my basketball knowledge goes as far as whatever NBA Jam includes

I was bummed when I tried another basketball game and was penalized for goaltending

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I talked with an EA rep that worked on Jam while at PAX last week. I got some straight up answers from him along with my own personal notes from playing the game:

-No online mode for Wii because they couldn't get the game to 60fps, only 30. Said that the difference was jarring and that fans wouldn't be happy with it so they dropped it.

-Wii motion controls: Up to jump, Down to dunk or release shot. A to pass, B to steal on defense or spin on offense, Z to use turbo. Steal + Turbo is shove. Turbo plus jump when not holding the ball makes you leap into the air setting up an alley-oop.

-I played using those controls at PAX and they worked fine for me. Side note, the used to have spin move/steal as side to side motions but removed them after having to many problems with errant jumps and steals. Smart move.

-Saw people using Classic Controllers to play like back in the SNES days. Didn't see GC controllers, so I can't confirm they are usable.

-Halftime allows you to view player stats and swap out characters for the second half.

-Wii version DOES support 4 player local competitive multiplayer.

-PSN/XBL are basically Jam with local and online multiplayer. No tour modes or extras from the Wii version. Is a free download when you purchase NBA Elite.

-Wanted to support the Oklahoma Thunder team (formally the Seattle Supersonics) so no Gary Payton or Shawn Kemp to be found anywhere. Oddly enough, Detfel Shremp still makes the Oklahoma roster and Payton is on the Boston roster.

-My girlfriend and I played against two other guys at PAX. I grew up on arcade Jam while she never played it in her life. We used Motion Controls, they used Classic Controllers. By the end of the first quarter we were down 12-4. Halftime saw us down by 23 points. Third quarter starts and my girlfriend learns how to start shoving and becomes a on court menace to society. She then follows up with her first ever dunk, slamming the Wii remote down with authority, and a crowd behind us goes nuts. I get on fire and we close the gap to 10 points. With seconds left in the final quarter, we take a two point lead. The crowd again goes nuts. They score to tie it up and shove me on the inbound pass and score as time expires. We lose by two in what was probably the most exciting game of the day.

Long and short, I found the game to be awesome, old-school fun. Get the Wii version if you don't care about online, or really want the additional boss mode stuff. Get the XBLA/PSN version if you don't care about extra modes, or really want to play the game online. Pretty simple choice to be honest.

Thanks for the info. Local multiplayer = I will be purchasing for the Wii. Danke! :D

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited September 2010

The extent of my basketball knowledge goes as far as whatever NBA Jam includes

I was bummed when I tried another basketball game and was penalized for goaltending

You still get penalized for goaltending if you aren't on fire so be careful. It's also a good rule to have otherwise you get crazy backboard camping ala NBA Street.

That stuff I just said.

Thanks for the info. Local multiplayer = I will be purchasing for the Wii. Danke! :D

Bitte! Have fun and make sure to talk much trash with your friends. It's an NBA Jam past time.

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    AnakinOUAnakinOU Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    so who was on the Thunder roster?

AnakinOU on
  • Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    AnakinOU wrote: »
    so who was on the Thunder roster?

I think we find out tomorrow. West rosters get announced on ESPN tomorrow I think. East rosters are here

quovadis13 on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

That stuff I just said.

Bitte! Have fun and make sure to talk much trash with your friends. It's an NBA Jam past time.

Yup, I'm using this game as a way to introduce my wife to NBA Jam...so yes, much trash talking will commence.

I'll also be teaching my daughter how to play...not so much trash talking there. :P

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I'll also be teaching my daughter how to play...not so much trash talking there. :P

"Hey, crapface! Why don't you blow it out your ear?"

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

edit: Wonderful edit. :P

Yea, thank god she doesn't talk like you originally wrote.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited September 2010

edit: Wonderful edit. :P

Yea, thank god she doesn't talk like you originally wrote.

That's how it sounds! But when it's written, it appears as normal so I changed it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rrZ-sA4FQc

1:15

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Haha, I love Strongbad. :^:

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Alright, all rosters revealed. Check it out below:

East rosters

West rosters

Probably should be added to the OP. A few guys didn't make the cut, but a ton of awesome legends to be had here. Can't wait!

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    PIPPEN!

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Lord Jezo wrote: »
    PIPPEN!

Damn right! My favorite player of all time!

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Hey guys

I don't know about the 360, but when tonight's PS Store update hits, it's carrying with it an NBA Elite 11 demo

So maybe give that a shot and see if it'll be enough of a worthwhile time waster to pay $60 for a barer-bones NBA Jam

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    No Rick Smits, no deal.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm pretty excited for this but I sold my Wii recently so I'll have to deal with the weird trimmed-down HD version.

I feel kind of ashamed that I'm getting NBA Elite just for Jam, but I guess their gamble paid off. UnbreakableVow, I'm also looking forward to that demo. Hopefully Elite comes out of nowhere and is awesome. The reboot philosophy sure did wonders for EA's NHL games.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    RyanReddRyanRedd Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Stockton and Malone. End of every story ever.

RyanRedd on
    That's good. That's a good one.
  • Options
    Stand, Killer QueenStand, Killer Queen Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Does anyone know if the 360/PS3 controls allow you to control both players? Saw on Kotaku the Wii version forces your partner to be AI.

Stand, Killer Queen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Anyone know exactly what modes we're getting for PS3/360?

From the PlayStation Blog
    Yaw,

You should edit your post for additional clarity to mention that people who are suckered into buying this game only receive a demo of NBA Jam.

Yaw | September 20th, 2010 at 4:39 pm

The game will have three FULL game modes of NBA JAM. Trust me man, try it for yourself and you will see you’re getting a great NBA JAM experience.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    They seem to be purposely coy on what is going on with either gimped version

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    So I just played the NBA Elite demo

Yeah...

Yeah I think I'll just wait till it drops to $20 before I grab it for NBA Jam

UnbreakableVow on