As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

NBA Jam Returns! Wii version out now! 360/PS3 versions out today.

• AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Why would you need 3 buttons?

1 - run?

2 - hold for shoot, tap for pass

fuck, you honestly wouldn't even need run, so you could seperate pass and shoot

o_O

Three buttons: shoot/block, pass/steal, and turbo

Allforce on
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I still don't quite see how some say this should be a cheaper, downloadable title while, say, NBA Live is a-okay being full priced.

It's the flaming balls, isn't it. People can't handle flaming balls at full price.

Zxerol on
    edited January 2010
    Flaming balls are definitely something you don't want to get burned on.

Allforce on
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2010
    Allforce wrote: »

1 - run?

o_O

so... just eliminate turbo and make it automatically go into effect or something.

The NES was one of the greatest consoles of all time and it only had two action buttons period. Ain't my fault if developers have gotten used to making the most obtuse control schemes ever.

FyreWulff on
  • ThePrimmThePrimm Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    or they could just use wii mote and nunchuck without motion control

ThePrimm on
  • toxk_02toxk_02 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    They could do both.
    IGN wrote:
    NBA Jam will feature Wii Remote/Nunchuk motion control that keeps the gestures simple, but taking a cue from the design success of Punch-Out!! the game will also feature classic Wii Remote-exclusive control for the hardcore that prefer not to have motion control get in the way of their arcade action.
    Even with the remote turned sideways there is a third button: B, on the back behind the d-pad.

toxk_02 on
    OTP.jpg
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Hugh Jass wrote: »
    Ugh I hope your joking, I haven't been here long. I thought the emoticons would give it away that I'm only joking jeez.

But I used emoticons earlier in the thread so that you knew I was just joking with you and you all got up in my grill and yelled at me and stuff. :(

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
    edited January 2010

1 - run?

o_O

so... just eliminate turbo and make it automatically go into effect or something.

:facepalm:

and if my aunt had a dick she'd be my uncle...

Allforce on
    edited January 2010
    Yea, the NP article said that it will have multiple control schemes, one with simple motion controls and one with no motion controls.

The way they explained the motions though, it sounds kinda fun....but we'll see. Either way I'm excited as I was when I bought the game originally on my SNES.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Zxerol wrote: »
    I still don't quite see how some say this should be a cheaper, downloadable title while, say, NBA Live is a-okay being full priced.

It's the flaming balls, isn't it. People can't handle flaming balls at full price.

NBA live is a full featured sports game

NBA jam is an arcade game you play with your buddies

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    http://sports.espn.go.com/videogames/news/story?id=4795625
    Instead, sources confirmed to ESPN that the new title is actually one of the all-time classics coming back to consoles as EA Sports has acquired the rights from the NBA to deliver an updated version of "NBA Jam" that will ship to retail exclusively for the Wii.

Fuck yeah.

(pretty sure this hasn't been posted, but you can' search for "NBA" or "Jam"...)

Also JAM SECRETS:
    The Limited Edition Team of Michael Jordan and Gary Payton

"Payton didn't make the cut to be in the (first arcade) game, and of course, Jordan pulled himself out of the licensing of the NBA, so we had to pull him out of the game," explained Turmell. "But one day, I got a phone call from a distributor out on the west coast who told me that Gary Payton was willing to pay whatever it cost to get into the game. So we told him what to do in terms of taking photographs, so he sent in photographs of himself and Jordan, saying, "We want to be in the game, hook us up." So we actually did a special version of the game and gave both players all-star, superstar stats. There are only a handful of these machines, but Jordan and Payton did end up being in one version of the game."
    The Pippen Jinx

Did Scottie Pippen's ratings really drop when he played certain teams or was I just the least clutch shooter every time I played Detroit? "It's true, but only when the Bulls played the Pistons," explained Turmell. "If there was a close game and anyone on the Bulls took a last second shot, we wrote special code in the game so that they would average out to be bricks. There was the big competition back in the day between the Pistons and the Bulls, and since I was always a big Pistons fan, that was my opportunity to level the playing field."

Oh man I totally remember playing NBA Jam in the arcade that had Jordan in it... I had no idea it was rare!

I used to love NBA Jam but every time they try to bring it back it is total anus juice. I moved on to NBA Street... though sadly the last Street game kinda sucked.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Hey I'm a huge fan of NBA Jam and own a Wii but I won't even throw down the cash for this updated version on general principle and the fact I know they're gonna shoehorn in Wacky Motion Controls™.

Now if it was on 360 with HD graphics and some Live play and a real controller I'd hand over my 60 bucks so EA can chalk me up as a target demo "original fan" that won't be buying the game.

What if it was on 360 with Natal support

Whoo look at me it's just like I'm dribbling a ball in real life dawg
    But seriously if you think you won't be able to play this in a standard way with a standard controller you are insane. Obviously motion control will be an option but that shouldn't stop you from turning it off and forgetting about it.

Motion controls are but one option; there is also the Wii Remote sideways.

Some info from the new Nintendo Power is here:
    The Classic Controller isn't mentioned, but there are options for either motion control with the Wii Remote and Nunchuk, or holding the Wii Remote sideways. Of the motion controls, the team is trying to keep it simple: "swiping the controller from side-to-side executes an evasive crossover dribble on offense, and a steal attempt on defense."

Meanwhile, shooting and blocking are a two-part gesture comprised of pulling up on the Wii Remote to jump, and flicking it forward to release the ball on offense or swat at it when playing defense. They note the second part isn't required for defense, but it increases your chances of coming away from the encounter with the ball.

Everything else uses the same gestures, but with button modifiers, save passing, which is executed by a simple press of the A button.

As for that Dead Space Extraction stuff, I can sort of understand as a Mega Man/Castlevania fan, such as the releases of Mega Man Powered Up, Maverick Hunter X, and Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles on PSP. I'm just glad I had gotten one for Christmas prior to their releases.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The Pippen Jinx

Did Scottie Pippen's ratings really drop when he played certain teams or was I just the least clutch shooter every time I played Detroit? "It's true, but only when the Bulls played the Pistons," explained Turmell. "If there was a close game and anyone on the Bulls took a last second shot, we wrote special code in the game so that they would average out to be bricks. There was the big competition back in the day between the Pistons and the Bulls, and since I was always a big Pistons fan, that was my opportunity to level the playing field."

That is fucking awesome, and if I ever get to work on an NCAA game I'm so doing this with Texas and OU.

TheSonicRetard on
    edited January 2010
    As for that Dead Space Extraction stuff, I can sort of understand as a Mega Man/Castlevania fan, such as the releases of Mega Man Powered Up, Maverick Hunter X, and Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles on PSP. I'm just glad I had gotten one for Christmas prior to their releases.

I understand his frustration too, as since I'm also a Mega Man nut, having Powered Up and Maverick Hunters go to the PSP rather than the DS was a bit frustrating since I don't have or really want a PSP.

But I'm not going to go into a thread about Mega Man and wish poor sales or doom on the product just because it didn't come to the system I prefer. That's just silly.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Holy mother of shit. I was JUST complaining about how we need another NBA Jam game because they are easily the best sports games out there.

I'm fucking sold.

urahonky on
  • Hugh JassHugh Jass I'm Squint Eastwood Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

But I'm not going to go into a thread about Mega Man and wish poor sales or doom on the product just because it didn't come to the system I prefer. That's just silly.

Ok there is no reason to bring this up anymore. I admitted I got too excited over it, considering it was nearing the end of the work day I was all hyped up to begin with. To me it's a dick move to not make this multi-platform yada yada, end of story.

Hugh Jass on
  • ArcibiArcibi Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    How did I miss this

NBA Jam was one of the only two sports games I could ever stand (the other being the Tecmo Bowl series)

This is rad news

Arcibi on
    GameTrailers | Goozex | Check out: Arcibi's Dev Blog and Robot House Games
    tmntsigshrunkre4.jpg
    Wii: 5024 6786 2934 2806 | Steam/XBL: Arcibi | FFXI: Arcibi / Bahamut
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Arcibi wrote: »
    How did I miss this

NBA Jam was one of the only two sports games I could ever stand (the other being the Tecmo Bowl series)

This is rad news

I was always partial to Nintendo World Cup Soccer myself, and Super Dodgeball if that counts.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • ArcibiArcibi Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Arcibi wrote: »
    How did I miss this

This is rad news

I was always partial to Nintendo World Cup Soccer myself, and Super Dodgeball if that counts.

Okay, I'll give you Super Dodgeball (though I considered it more arcade-y than sport)

Actually that's pretty much the secret to making a good sports game in my opinion. I hate simulations, but damn if I don't love a crazy arcade-style sports game

I'm sure I would have loved NFL Blitz if I'd ever had the chance to play it

Arcibi on
    GameTrailers | Goozex | Check out: Arcibi's Dev Blog and Robot House Games
    tmntsigshrunkre4.jpg
    Wii: 5024 6786 2934 2806 | Steam/XBL: Arcibi | FFXI: Arcibi / Bahamut
    edited January 2010
    They should make a new NFL Blitz, we had one in a local arcade years ago, and it was a blast.

Didn't they make a new Tecmo Bowl recently? Not sure though.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So what the hell happened to Charlotte?

We had the whole basketball card fad in primary school and I the staunch backer of the Hornets (unlike those Chicago ones, they were just on the bandwagon!) and played them in Jam. What the hell happened to them? I know they're not in Charlotte anymore but I stopped paying attention to basketball after the whole card thing died off.

*Goes off to Wikipedia*

Kelor on
    edited January 2010
    Kelor wrote: »
    So what the hell happened to Charlotte?

We had the whole basketball card fad in primary school and I the staunch backer of the Hornets (unlike those Chicago ones, they were just on the bandwagon!) and played them in Jam. What the hell happened to them? I know they're not in Charlotte anymore but I stopped paying attention to basketball after the whole card thing died off.

*Goes off to Wikipedia*

I felt the same way. I was a HUGE Hornet fan then fell out of the whole scene back in high school. I looked into it further and found out they aren't even in Charlotte anymore. I was saddened to see my favorite NBA Jam team move. :(

urahonky on
    edited January 2010
    This game is practically guaranteed to sell like hot cakes. I learned about this game via ESPN - they actually had news of this on their sports ticker... right in between news of Randy Johnson's retirement and discussion on Gilbert Areans. It's one of those games where the so-called two sides of gaming (i.e. "cores" vs "casuals") are equally as stoked and aware, and it's coming to the system which has sold the most.

The only way this fails is if they sneak it out, IMO.

That said, they better find the original announcer.

HEATING UP

TheSonicRetard on
    edited January 2010
    He puts up a brick!

urahonky on
    edited January 2010
    Ugly shot

TheSonicRetard on
    edited January 2010
    I had him tell me that I shot a terrible shot, then swished it from half court.

I don't think he said anything for the rest of the quarter. Bastard was shocked.

urahonky on
    edited January 2010
    urahonky wrote: »

I don't think he said anything for the rest of the quarter. Bastard was shocked.

This just made me realize that we're gonna have NBA Jam with Lebron James.

God damn this is gonna rule.

TheSonicRetard on
  • TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    urahonky wrote: »

the phrases "ugly shot!" followed by "yes!" or "swish!" was quite often and funny.

TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • redraptorredraptor Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The hornets scooted to New Orleans with all their neat history alongside them. Don't ask me why the new franchise didn't just reclaim the Hornets identity when they opened, better than the Bobcats rip-off Knicks colours and WNBA-ish feel. The history of a team relocating alongside it leads to all sorts of fuck-upedness like the Utah "Jazz" who moved from New Orleans. Now I'm sure the Jazz scene in Utah is kicking, but come on. The Bobcats are actually pretty good this year, but would be so much more entertaining if they still wore the same mantle that LJ and Muggsy once did.

Which leads me to a thought, since NBA Jam had come out Basketball games have become more and more based around customization and team options, does this one stick to the old formula of just the plain teams and maybe a Rookie squad, or does it bring in all the new options? I'm thinking All Star teams, Old Teams, Create-a-player. (Hangtime's signature)

Its interesting to think about since the little things really made Jam memorable, like playing as Scorpion, Sub Zero, Bill Clinton. But really I just want them to get the game-play down more than anything else, I'll gladly buy later verisons with new features if they nail the feel.

Lebron will be totally unfair in this game, he could very accurately be like Shawn Kemp in the original with a much better 3-point shot.

redraptor on
  • RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I must've played a thousand hours of Hangtime and Jam. Me and my buddy ... so much time on those games. Something about a duo of a 5 foot tall Merlin and an 8 foot tall yeti SOMERSAULTS THROUGH THE AIR that makes the game priceless.

RonaldoTheGypsy on
    edited January 2010
    Plus the gaining stat points made it feel like a(n) RPG, and I can never complain about that.

urahonky on
  • RanadielRanadiel Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    NBA!...Hangtime! *start* I'm in the zone!

Ranadiel on
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    redraptor wrote: »
    Which leads me to a thought, since NBA Jam had come out Basketball games have become more and more based around customization and team options, does this one stick to the old formula of just the plain teams and maybe a Rookie squad, or does it bring in all the new options? I'm thinking All Star teams, Old Teams, Create-a-player. (Hangtime's signature)

Custom characters with Mii heads.

Bam!

Kelor on
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Guek wrote: »
    I dunno, I wouldn't be surprised if the game required motion control in some capacity. Something like shaking to foul another player or something like that is bound to be in the game. I've never felt that motion controls inherently ruin all associated games though so it's not that big of a deal to me. As long as you don't have to shake in time to dribble, swing a certain way to shoot, and jack off the wiimote to jump, it should be fine.

I fully expect and welcome the ability to shove by pushing my wiimote/chuck combo forward

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • MonstyMonsty Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Holy shit! Those shots look hysterical. Color me the color of happy!

Time to tell the fellas the good news.

Monsty on
    edited February 2010
    Turmell talking about his game philosphy, sports sims vs arcade, and his love of 60FPS
    http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/26780/Interview_EAs_Turmell_On_NBA_Jam_Rebirth_Sports_Game_Accessibility.php
    "[NBA Jam's] fundamentals are great, but of course, it's 15 years later. There's certainly a lot of additional effort and enhancement that has to happen."

At Tiburon, Turmell will primarily work on the Madden and NCAA franchises, but he's consulting on the new Wii-exclusive NBA Jam, which is in development at EA Vancouver: "I'm looking at that product every week," he says. "I've sat with the team extensively, and I'm close to the product."

"As successful as Madden is, I think that there's an even larger untapped market of potential buyers that we can tap into," Turmell says. "My mission really is to make those players feel welcomed, to make them feel successful when they pick it up."

Turmell says the elusive trait of "responsiveness" has to do with giving the player as much of a sense of control as possible. "A lot of games nowadays are not very responsive," he says. "Sometimes you hit a button and a long animation plays out... with a game like the WWE, Wrestlemania games, you hit a button and it might take seven, eight seconds before you regain control of the character on screen. That happens too much in most sports games."

"[Madden Arcade] attracts a different audience," says Turmell. "It doesn't have the complex football knowledge required that perhaps a simulation football game requires."

"Certainly, the sim nature of the EA Sports products has been very successful, and is the hallmark... we certainly can't ignore that fact, but there are ways to attract the novice user and make him realize, 'I can get into this without all of the knowledge,'" he adds.

Is it a major challenge to balance accessibility with pleasing users who want a very rich, lifelike sports experience? "I'm kind of the rookie here," says Turmell, "but I don't think it's as challenging or as difficult as you might think -- because I go back to that moment-to-moment gameplay."

"I'm confident that we can create an easier to pick-up-and-play experience where [players] get a cool moment right away, feel they have control over that moment, and then they begin to get hooked," he states. "That's almost an arcade philosophy that I grew up with; I was in the arcade business for twenty years."

Finally, Turmell says, never underestimate the importance of frame rate to immersion and engagement, something he hopes to make a priority at EA. "A lot of gameplay that feels not-responsive or sluggish is simply because they are not updating the game engine at 60 frames per second," he says. "That's really critical in my eyes," he adds. "Some people can't really quantify why a game feels better than another game, but you'll find games that run at higher frame rates do end up scoring higher or feeling better to consumers."

Mr. Keighley of Gametrailers said last week we'll have footage soon. Couple more screens.

*Click for big*

3343zmb.jpg
    2d00v9w.jpg
    1060vud.jpg
    359ittz.jpg

toxk_02 on
    OTP.jpg
    edited February 2010
    My wife and I are stoked for this piece of our childhood returning. :D

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • XiaNaphryzXiaNaphryz Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    toxk_02 wrote: »
    Turmell talking about his game philosphy, sports sims vs arcade, and his love of 60FPS
    http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/26780/Interview_EAs_Turmell_On_NBA_Jam_Rebirth_Sports_Game_Accessibility.php
    "[NBA Jam's] fundamentals are great, but of course, it's 15 years later. There's certainly a lot of additional effort and enhancement that has to happen."

At Tiburon, Turmell will primarily work on the Madden and NCAA franchises, but he's consulting on the new Wii-exclusive NBA Jam, which is in development at EA Vancouver: "I'm looking at that product every week," he says. "I've sat with the team extensively, and I'm close to the product."

"As successful as Madden is, I think that there's an even larger untapped market of potential buyers that we can tap into," Turmell says. "My mission really is to make those players feel welcomed, to make them feel successful when they pick it up."

Turmell says the elusive trait of "responsiveness" has to do with giving the player as much of a sense of control as possible. "A lot of games nowadays are not very responsive," he says. "Sometimes you hit a button and a long animation plays out... with a game like the WWE, Wrestlemania games, you hit a button and it might take seven, eight seconds before you regain control of the character on screen. That happens too much in most sports games."

"[Madden Arcade] attracts a different audience," says Turmell. "It doesn't have the complex football knowledge required that perhaps a simulation football game requires."

"Certainly, the sim nature of the EA Sports products has been very successful, and is the hallmark... we certainly can't ignore that fact, but there are ways to attract the novice user and make him realize, 'I can get into this without all of the knowledge,'" he adds.

Is it a major challenge to balance accessibility with pleasing users who want a very rich, lifelike sports experience? "I'm kind of the rookie here," says Turmell, "but I don't think it's as challenging or as difficult as you might think -- because I go back to that moment-to-moment gameplay."

"I'm confident that we can create an easier to pick-up-and-play experience where [players] get a cool moment right away, feel they have control over that moment, and then they begin to get hooked," he states. "That's almost an arcade philosophy that I grew up with; I was in the arcade business for twenty years."

Finally, Turmell says, never underestimate the importance of frame rate to immersion and engagement, something he hopes to make a priority at EA. "A lot of gameplay that feels not-responsive or sluggish is simply because they are not updating the game engine at 60 frames per second," he says. "That's really critical in my eyes," he adds. "Some people can't really quantify why a game feels better than another game, but you'll find games that run at higher frame rates do end up scoring higher or feeling better to consumers."

Mr. Keighley of Gametrailers said last week we'll have footage soon. Couple more screens.

*Click for big*

3343zmb.jpg
    2d00v9w.jpg
    1060vud.jpg
    359ittz.jpg

Where'd these screencaps come from?

XiaNaphryz on
  • TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    "Finally, Turmell says, never underestimate the importance of frame rate to immersion and engagement, something he hopes to make a priority at EA. "A lot of gameplay that feels not-responsive or sluggish is simply because they are not updating the game engine at 60 frames per second," he says. "That's really critical in my eyes," he adds. "Some people can't really quantify why a game feels better than another game, but you'll find games that run at higher frame rates do end up scoring higher or feeling better to consumers." "

THANK YOU.

TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
    edited February 2010
    Where'd these screencaps come from?

http://www.gametrailers.com/episode/gametrailers-tv/82&ch=4&sd=0?ep=82&ch=4&sd=0

One of the episode markers is 'He's on fire!', that's the one. Very brief: no new info, no footage, just Keighley and Gertsmann being "oh hey new NBA Jam!".

toxk_02 on
    OTP.jpg