As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PS2 exclusive must haves

DelinatorDelinator Registered User regular
edited January 2007 in Games and Technology
I could no longer resist Guitar Hero and finally got myself a PS2. In addition to GH and GH2 I ordered/bought the following games that I was also interested in:

ICO
God of War
We love Katamari
Soul Calibur 3
Shadow of the Colossus
Okami

What else is there I might enjoy? Please keep in mind that I'm not interested in RPG's, sport and racing games.

Delinator on

• TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Resident Evil 4

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Get god hand. It's a fun, simple 30 dollar beat em up...made by clover. and it's funny.

Gorilla Salad on
  • SNESSNES Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    There's the ever-popular Devil May Cry series. I do believe that they just released some sort of anniversary set, so you can get all three for fairly cheap.

DMC2 sucks though. Seriously. I returned it after two hours of gameplay.

Metal Gear Solid 2 & 3 are more or less must haves. Do avoid being spoiled by 3's mechanics and play 2 first, though.

EDIT: Forgot, MGS2 technically isn't a PS2 exclusive. Substance has an Xbox port, but I heard it's lackluster compared to the PS2 version.

SNES on
    MP:H-2019-3115-7752
    MKDS Friend Code: 476-802-986-689
    AC:WW Friend Code:3823-1420-6253
    Pokemon Friend Code: 3222 2050 0417
  • DarkSymphonyDarkSymphony Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    please get Zone of the Enders 2: the second runner.

Please? It's so amazing you might just not care about any other game.

DarkSymphony on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    TehSpectre wrote:
    Resident Evil 4

Yeah, that's a PS2 exclusive.

OH. WAIT. IT'S NOT.

Go get Disgaea.

DarkPrimus on
  • DelinatorDelinator Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I own RE4 for the GC, thanks anyway.

Added Zone of Enders 2 and God Hand to my wishlist.

I tried to play the remake of MGS1 on the GC but couldn't even beat the first boss because of the forced camera perspective. That killed all the interest I had in the MGS series. Are the sequels better in that aspect?

Are The Warriors and Yakuza any good?

Delinator on
  • FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    SNES wrote:
    There's the ever-popular Devil May Cry series. I do believe that they just released some sort of anniversary set, so you can get all three for fairly cheap.

DMC2 sucks though. Seriously. I returned it after two hours of gameplay.

Metal Gear Solid 2 & 3 are more or less must haves. Do avoid being spoiled by 3's mechanics and play 2 first, though.

EDIT: Forgot, MGS2 technically isn't a PS2 exclusive. Substance has an Xbox port, but I heard it's lackluster compared to the PS2 version.

With all fairness, MGS2 sucked. We have to admit this and get on with our lives.

On the other hand, MGS3 was "nice", but then they released MGS3 Subsistence, which should have actually been titled "MGS3: FIXED". They added a camera control feature that makes you question why they ever released the first version and it transforms the game completely. Seriously, on this point alone you could start an endless discussion on how a simple thing can totally change a game to such a scale. It's one of the best damn titles there is on the PS2, period, and the bargain price makes not owning this inexcusable. At the very least, enjoy the cutscene playback feature. I still watch this game as a movie on a regular basis. Best boss fights, best story, etc.

I don't know about Soul Calibur III. Alot of people find enjoyment in this title but truth be told, it's more graphic tartness than it is gameplay, which is on that is getting quite dated. Then again, if graphic tarting is what you want...

Exclusive or not, these are the games that I enjoy on my PS2 the most, be it for the control scheme (I like the PS2 controller best of all) or whatever:

SSX3 (Best of the series, stylish, grows old very well)
    Shadow of Colossus
    God of War
    Grand Turismo 4 (only if you never played the others, it's getting repetitive)
    Okami
    MGS3: SUBSISTENCE
    Frequency

Frugus on
    Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • cwapfobrainscwapfobrains Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    All the Ratchet & Clank games. Ace Combat games, if you like semi-arcadey flight combat kind of games. Sly Cooper 1 (2 and 3 too probably, i've just only played 1). Rez, while not technically a exclusive, is much easier to find on PS2, and is an awesome experience.

cwapfobrains on
    camo_sig.png
    LoL Summoner: infobrains | XBL: cwap4brains | PSN: infobrains
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Frugus wrote:
    With all fairness, MGS2 sucked. We have to admit this and get on with our lives.
    Rubbish, MGS2 was awesome.

Anyway, I'd list these PS2 games as must haves (I'll throw in the genre as well, in case you dislike any particular one):

Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (Action)
    Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistance (Action)
    Onimusha: Warlords (Action)
    Onimusha 2: Samurai's Destiny (Action)
    Onimusha 3: Demon Seige (Action)
    Devil May Cry (Action)
    Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition (Action)
    Silent Hill 2 (Action)
    Silent Hill 3 (Action)
    Final Fantasy X (RPG)
    Final Fantasy X-2 (RPG)
    Final Fantasy XII (RPG)
    Dragon Quest VIII (RPG)
    Tekken 5 (Fighting)
    Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution (Fighting)
    Zone of the Enders: The Second Runner (Action)
    SEGA Mega Drive/Genesis Collection
    Shadow of Memories (Adventure)
    Makai Kingdom (Strategy RPG)
    Disgaea (Strategy RPG)
    Disgaea 2 (Strategy RPG)
    Gran Turismo 3 (Racing)
    Jak & Daxter (Platform)

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Gradius V.

Space Channel 5 SE.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
    edited January 2007
    DarkPrimus wrote:
    TehSpectre wrote:
    Resident Evil 4

OH. WAIT. IT'S NOT.

Go get Disgaea.

Let me point out that I was saying get RE:4 for the PS2 because it has increased replay and many added bonus features and weapons over the old game.

Thanks for bein a dick though. =)

-Edit- One might say it is an "exclusive" version of the game. kthxbye.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • TM2 RampageTM2 Rampage Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    TehSpectre wrote:
    DarkPrimus wrote:
    TehSpectre wrote:
    Resident Evil 4

OH. WAIT. IT'S NOT.

Go get Disgaea.

Let me point out that I was saying get RE:4 for the PS2 because it has increased replay and many added bonus features and weapons over the old game.

The GC version looks/runs better. Play that one first! <_<

Also

METAL GEAR SOLID 1, 2, and 3

TM2 Rampage on
    edited January 2007
    TehSpectre wrote:
    DarkPrimus wrote:
    TehSpectre wrote:
    Resident Evil 4

OH. WAIT. IT'S NOT.

Go get Disgaea.

The GC version looks/runs better. Play that one first! <_<

Also

METAL GEAR SOLID 1, 2, and 3

I will admit that the GC is a slight bit better looking. I would choose more substance over slightly better looks any day.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Frugus wrote:

My personal opinion...

I found the demo so amazing, but all the things that followed on the final version got me completely upset. From the obese bomb suit wearing rollerskating demolitions freak who drinks wine as he pounds you with C4 to the horrible dialog between you and your girlfriend, who should not be there, who is also annoyingly named Rose while your name is Jack, smack in the middle of the whole Titanic craze, there was just too much for me to handle.

I would not have minded the new snake... Raiden actually sounded freaky and cool just before he took off his mask. Then he went into this big "I'm a super noob mode hold my hand Colonel". Meh.

As far as games go, it was decent enough for a purchase, but as far as MGS games go, to me it was one of the lesser ones.

Frugus on
    Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
    edited January 2007
    Frugus wrote:
    Frugus wrote:

My personal opinion...

I found the demo so amazing, but all the things that followed on the final version got me completely upset. From the obese bomb suit wearing rollerskating demolitions freak who drinks wine as he pounds you with C4 to the horrible dialog between you and your girlfriend, who should not be there, who is also annoyingly named Rose while your name is Jack, smack in the middle of the whole Titanic craze, there was just too much for me to handle.

I would not have minded the new snake... Raiden actually sounded freaky and cool just before he took off his mask. Then he went into this big "I'm a super noob mode hold my hand Colonel". Meh.

As far as games go, it was decent enough for a purchase, but as far as MGS games go, to me it was one of the lesser ones.
    Your personal opinion? Sorry but you were pretty clearly trying to state it as fact. You wouldn't of said "we have to admit this" if it were your own personal opinion, unless you have multiple personalities of course.

MGS2 had its problems, particularly Rose (god I hate her), but it was still a great game. IMO it has the best gameplay out of all three MGS games, as it was the last MGS to re-tool all the controls (whereas MGS3 just threw more options onto MGS2's controls, making it a bit of a mess).

Btw, 2001 was in the middle of the Titanic craze? What? It was released four years after Titanic was released. Four years. The only huge craze around at that point was LOTR.

Unco-ordinated on
  • InzignaInzigna Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Frugus wrote:
    Frugus wrote:

My personal opinion...

Your personal opinion? Sorry but you were pretty clearly trying to state it as fact. You wouldn't of said "we have to admit this" if it were your own personal opinion, unless you have multiple personalities of course.

MGS2 had its problems, particularly Rose (god I hate her), but it was still a great game. IMO it has the best gameplay out of all three MGS games, as it was the last MGS to re-tool all the controls (whereas MGS3 just threw more options onto MGS2's controls, making it a bit of a mess).

Btw, 2001 was in the middle of the Titanic craze? What? It was released four years after Titanic was released. Four years. The only huge craze around at that point was LOTR.

Chill, I don't think he meant it to impose his own opinion on us. But I'll have to admit that alot of people think MGS2 was horrible compared to MGS and MGS3.

Perhaps it was the hype, but with MGS and everything, MGS2 was expected to blow everything out of the water. For a while it did, then Raiden came along and screwed every bad boy's dream.

But I still whole heartedly recommend the MGS series, played it to hell.

ZOE was good. Oh yes it was gooooooooood.

Inzigna on
    camo_sig2.png
  • jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    • Disgaea: Hour of Darkness
    • Disgaea 2: Cursed Memories
    • Final Fantasy XII
    • Front Mission 4
    • Jak & Daxter series (2 if you only get one)
    • Ratchet & Clank series (3 if you only get one)
    • Sly Cooper series (2 if you only get one)
    • Star Ocean: Till the End of Time

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited January 2007
    jclast wrote:
    • Star Ocean: Till the End of Time
    Can't agree with this. I loved SO and SO:TSS but I can't stand SO:TeEoT. The story is rubbish, most of the characters are annoying and the AI is attrocious.

Inzigna: Yeah, I know but I was just trying to call him out for his previous comment. ;) And while I agree MGS1 and MGS3 are leaps and bounds better than MGS2, I still can't agree with anyone saying MGS2 is bad. It's still one of my favourite games on the PS2, despite its flaws.

As for ZOE, I liked the first one (despite being like 8 minutes long) but the second one was beyond awesome. I just wish I could find a freaking copy to buy, unlike Konami America (who seem to print a new batch every couple of months and sell them on their website), Konami Europe only printed a very limited amount of them.

Unco-ordinated on
  • fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    BUZZ!

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    Geetar Hero

Geetar Hero Deux

I know they are mentioned in the first post...I care not.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • SilvanosSilvanos Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    TehSpectre wrote:
    DarkPrimus wrote:
    TehSpectre wrote:
    Resident Evil 4

OH. WAIT. IT'S NOT.

Go get Disgaea.

You prefering additional bonus features and weapons doesn't make it an "exclusive" release. It's just a rerelease with more shit. I don't believe the OP intended "what games should I buy for PS2 that have been released elsewhere but were then released on PS2 with added features".

Calling people dicks because they don't agree with your opinion just makes you an idiot Spectre.

Silvanos on
  • wobblyheadedbobwobblyheadedbob Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Bully. Bully. Bully.

Seriously, one of the best games this year.

wobblyheadedbob on
  • core tacticcore tactic Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    GTA: San Andreas
    Uh, any Prince Of Perisa game
    Any Tony Hawk game except Project 8
    Phantom Brave

core tactic on
    6700ab2ed7bb6f9876150c388a78a011.png
  • Original RufusOriginal Rufus Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I notice that maybe 90 percent of the time, the phrase "Metal Gear Solid 2 sucked" translates more accurately into "I didn't like Metal Gear Solid 2's plot."

It's a valid criticism, but be sure to separate criticism of the gameplay from that of the story.

Original Rufus on
    edited January 2007
    Oh, nearly forgot. Castlevania: Lament of Innocence.

core tactic on
  • Original RufusOriginal Rufus Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Oh, nearly forgot. Castlevania: Lament of Innocence.

Gets repetetive, and doesn't have nearly the charm or atmosphere of other Castlevanias, but the music is great, and the combat was more fun to me than God of War.

Original Rufus on
  • One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Bully. Bully. Bully.

Seriously, one of the best games this year.
    Since Guitar Hero has already been mentioned twice, I'll agree with this. It really surprised me with how good it was.

One Thousand Cables on
    edited January 2007
    Timesplitters 3 is/was fun, especially for multiplayer.

The Injector and the Brick are just incredibly awesome weapons to play with.

core tactic on
    edited January 2007
    Also, Spiderman 2 and Hulk: Ultimate Destruction.

core tactic on
  • ReiRei New YorkRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Dark Cloud 2 is an excellent RPG, tons of fun to be had. And if you like it then you might be interested in the upcoming rpg Rogue Galaxy, developed by the same guys at Level 5.

Rei on
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I loved Metal Gear Solid 2, particularly because of the plot. Just wanted to say that before recommending...

Culdcept
    Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne
    Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga Vol. 1
    Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga Vol. 2
    Final Fantasy X
    Final Fantasy XII

If I think of any others, I'll post them later. I left off anything I saw mentioned in the couple of posts I skimmed, like God of War, which I highly, highly recommend.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Guitaroo man, but it's rare and can't be found cheap, so nevermind.

Man, I thought the OP said he doesn't like RPGs. Checked. Yup. He doesn't.

I'm in agreement that you should get a GTA'ish game (basically a GTA or bully).

BloodyRoarXX and Mordrack are all up ins with Yakuza. They keep telling me to buy it.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • NorayNoray Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Long time lurker, first time poster ahoy!

Someone asked about The Warriors and Yakuza. The Warriors is actually also on the XBOX, but yeah, I got the PS2 version like a week ago, and it is a totally awesome game, and dirt cheap nowadays. Definitely reccomended.

Yakuza is good too, but definitely flawed. The fighting is pretty great, but the game's plagued by frequent and lengthy loading times, and they really, really really should've kept the Japanese dialogue as an option. But if you can find it on the cheap ($20), I say get it.

MGS3: Subsistence. Get it. Seriously.

If you like JRPGs, FFX is still good. Ignore FFX-2. Unless you like lots of grinding and the same locations over and over again and a plot that goes nowhere fast, ignore Dragon Quest VIII as well. Many will disagree with me on this, but I got bored with it pretty quickly for a JRPG (like 10 hours in).

Uhm yeah Zone of the Enders 1 and 2 are great (especially 2!!! but 1 makes for good backstory) if you're into big robot action. Seriously, ZoE2 is pretty awesome.

Noray on
  • PbPb Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    PikaPuff wrote:
    Guitaroo man, but it's rare and can't be found cheap, so nevermind.

That used to be true, but you can get it for under $40 now.

Pb on
    edited January 2007
    PikaPuff wrote:
    Man, I thought the OP said he doesn't like RPGs. Checked. Yup. He doesn't.

Yeah, well, people should own Digital Devil Saga whether they like RPGs or not. It's that good.

Drez on
  • AxonAxon Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Frugus wrote:

Agreed. However, I cannot remember another game that was so polarizing to fans.

"It was awesome, you didn't understand it!"

"Oh, I understood - understood that it sucked! Lol."

Axon on
    edited January 2007
    Axon wrote:
    Frugus wrote:

Agreed. However, I cannot remember another game that was so polarizing to fans.

"It was awesome, you didn't understand it!"

"Oh, I understood - understood that it sucked! Lol."

Other than that and Fallout 2, you're probably right.

Drez on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Ace Combat series is very good.

Ratchet and Clank: Up Your Arsenal was the best of the series.

TexiKen on
  • Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I recommend that the OP research any game listed here before he buys it. We all have very different tastes in games.

PS2 exclusives that I heartily recommend:

-The Devil May Cry series (specifically, 1 and 3) - get the boxed set for $30.
    -Star Ocean: Til the End of Time (action RPG)
    -Zone of the Enders 1&2 (2 is the one you actually want to play, 1 is there for the backstory)
    -Shadow of the Colossus
    -The Katamari's

Marty81 on
  • krlkrl Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    klonoa2lunateasveilcover.jpg

krl on