As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Creedence Clearwater [chat]

• Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    LaOs wrote: »
    BobCesca wrote: »
    LaOs wrote: »
    The gym closed at half five. That is le rubbish. I had only got about halfway through my stuff.

If half five half after five, four-thirty, or what?

half five is 5.30pm.

silly non-Brits and their inability to talk about time properly.

Silly Brits and their vague timespeak. Quit dropping key words and we'll know what you meant!

Half to five...

Half passed five...

Nobody says "half to".

Pretty sure somebody half to.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I belated approve of this [chat].

CCR FTW. :^:

Passerbye on
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Honk wrote: »
    But really though, it is much more logical to call 16.30 half five and 17.30 half six.

Halving something does not increase it.
    It makes sense because our hours are zero-indexed. Half of the fifth hour is 4:30. That has nothing to do with half of 5:00.

Bama on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Preacher wrote: »
    Bama wrote: »
    I hate people who say "Ding" or other similar stupid declarations of level in an mmo. Especially when they are like level 5.
    Man, back in the Everquest days gaining a level was an event. The entire zone would leave their camps and hold a parade to celebrate such a rare treat.

Yeah and the "Welcome back to 49 message" was also a treat.
    Yea, then what you got was less "parade" and more "wake."

Bama on
  • Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Haphazard wrote: »
    The moral is that German aside "half five" means the same everywhere.

Shit I better learn the german way in case I'm ever infiltrating nazi germany.

You've seen in IB how horribly wrong it can go.

I've got my german mannerisms cheat sheet ready to go.

I've watched it a second time now, btw, this time not dubbed. It's fantastic. Tarantino did a wonderful job with the languages in the movie.

Haphazard on
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    those cool flint plugs I found are double flares which I guess means that they get larger in the front and back, and smaller in the middle

and I guess they're a bitch to get in and out

:(

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Half to five would be 430.

Half passed five would be 530.

Half five makes me think of half of the hour of five, so 530.

Does sound different though, as do most other British syntax changes.

Passerbye on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Passerbye wrote: »

See even muslims appreciate john fogerty.

Also as much as I dislike the thought of eugenics, hearing about welfare mothers with 8 fucking kids makes you want to stab a bitch.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    japan wrote: »
    For some reason it is cheaper to book London -> Amsterdam by travelling "Leisure select" class on Eurostar to Brussels, and first class on Thalys to Amsterdam than it is to book both legs standard class.

Don't complain. Nothing better than not having to sit with the rest of the sheep.

It is still £130 return per person and we'd have to get to London first. There is probably a budget airline that operates out of BHX that would make the same trip cheaper, but the trouble with budget airlines is that they rarely fly to airports actually located in the cities they are named after.

Ryanair for example calls Weeze airport "Dusseldorf (Weeze)". Weeze is not in Dusseldorf. It is only just barely in Germany.

japan on
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    But really though, it is much more logical to call 16.30 half five and 17.30 half six.

"Half five" meaning "half past five" is a result of people saying "half past", never saying "half to" and dropping the extraneous word.

You aren't halving anything. It's one half plus five.

When we say half five we are referring to the final designated hour being halved. Seems much more logical to me.

To understand this British way of saying half five I would have to have knowledge that you decided to leave out the word that lends the correct meaning to the phrase.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I thought of like 3 possible meanings for half five before I read the actual explanation in [chat].

My first one was some sort of weird high five where only half of your hands touch.

No we don't use "half five" or "half [anything]" in the US. I've literally never heard that expression before.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    ugh....not even getting STARTED on that non-human persons thread

Arch on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    For some reason it is cheaper to book London -> Amsterdam by travelling "Leisure select" class on Eurostar to Brussels, and first class on Thalys to Amsterdam than it is to book both legs standard class.

Don't complain. Nothing better than not having to sit with the rest of the sheep.

It is still £130 return per person and we'd have to get to London first. There is probably a budget airline that operates out of BHX that would make the same trip cheaper, but the trouble with budget airlines is that they rarely fly to airports actually located in the cities they are named after.

Ryanair for example calls Weeze airport "Dusseldorf (Weeze)". Weeze is not in Dusseldorf. It is only just barely in Germany.

Easyjet is quite good at flying to where they claim. Ryanair really are fucking awful though.

And yes, the Eurostar is stupidly expensive.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Maaan 1 frame links be HARD.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    my new prepaid phone is out for delivery

I'll probably have to sign the slip and leave it for the UPS person, so I guess I'll get it tomorrow

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Also as much as I dislike the thought of eugenics, hearing about welfare mothers with 8 fucking kids makes you want to stab a bitch.

I grew up with CCR. It's like Hendrix or the Troggs for me. Do not ask if I like them, as if I can not like them. First songs I could sing by heart were Purple Haze, Foxy Lady, and Bad Moon Rising. :D

Passerbye on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

I grew up with CCR. It's like Hendrix or the Troggs for me. Do not ask if I like them, as if I can not like them. First songs I could sing by heart were Purple Haze, Foxy Lady, and Bad Moon Rising. :D

See for me it was Bad to the bone, money for nothing, and we're not going to take it.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited January 2010

It's in the administrative district of Düsseldorf, that's probably why.

Haphazard on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

"Half five" meaning "half past five" is a result of people saying "half past", never saying "half to" and dropping the extraneous word.

You aren't halving anything. It's one half plus five.

When we say half five we are referring to the final designated hour being halved. Seems much more logical to me.

To understand this British way of saying half five I would have to have knowledge that you decided to leave out the word that lends the correct meaning to the phrase.

If you weren't a mainland european you would have that knowledge, because "half to five" is not a construction that is ever used in (British, can't speak for other variants) English, so the abbreviation only has one possible expansion.

japan on
  • Options
    RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    You know, you guys could just end this argument and agree that "Half 5" is stupid and pointless. Just say 4:30 or 5:30 and end this confusion.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010

See for me it was Bad to the bone, money for nothing, and we're not going to take it.

Hah, I can imagine a 4 year old you singing Bad to the Bone at the top of your lungs while taking your pre-bed-time bath.

Passerbye on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Ryadic wrote: »
    You know, you guys could just end this argument and agree that "Half 5" is stupid and pointless. Just say 4:30 or 5:30 and end this confusion.

But then you get into the problem of saying Four thirty, or sixteen thirty. Whole other can of worms.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Ok, just to get you going: What do you think "quarter five" means? :P

Haphazard on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Military time is silly.

If you need to specify just say 4:30 in the morning or the afternoon.

This shit isn't rocket surgery people.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/01/05/ahead-of-apple-microsoft-and-hp-to-reveal-slate-pc/

I very much want web browser + e-reader

I would buy the kindle in a heartbeat if it had the iphone's web browser

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Depends quarter to five would mean 4:45, where as quarter five to me would mean 5:15.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited January 2010

It's in the administrative district of Düsseldorf, that's probably why.

It's because Ryanair are cocks, that's why.

This is the same airline that the Office of Fair Trading is currently yelling at because there is a £5 (sometimes £10) fee per person, per flight, for bookings paid for by credit or debit card that they do not add to their advertised prices because, theoretically, you can avoid it by using an incredbly obscure payment mechanism that very few people have access to and only 3% of the population (the OFT did a poll) have actually even heard of.

japan on
  • Options
    StarcrossStarcross Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

That doesn't mean anything. You can't miss out the word there, because we use quarter past and quarter to when discussing time.

Starcross on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Using 12-hour time involves fewer syllables and the ambiguities are overcome by intuition over 98% of the time.

Bama on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I think Japan and most other Asian countries have solved this problem nicely - 24-hour time. No crazy am/pm, and they only ever say the time as ##:##, none of this half passed five nonsense.

Passerbye on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

I think it means the person I am talking to doesn't know how to convey the time in a way that would make sense to anyone in the area in which I live.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/01/05/ahead-of-apple-microsoft-and-hp-to-reveal-slate-pc/

I very much want web browser + e-reader

I would buy the kindle in a heartbeat if it had the iphone's web browser

simliar-but-different

the nintendo dsI has a web browser and I am seriously considering buying one for that reason alone

I realize what I REALLY want is Iphone-quality web browsing but I can't afford an iphone

Arch on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Is it so hard to say a quarter till or a quarter past? Are people really this lazy?

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Starcross wrote: »

That doesn't mean anything. You can't miss out the word there, because we use quarter past and quarter to when discussing time.

It means quarter past four. Hah!

Haphazard on
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    English has dumb idioms, news at 11.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    The physicists gave us the atomic bomb. The chainmaillers gave us the weaponized hornet.
    Chainmaille_Hornet_pic_6_by_Narrina.jpg

Passerbye on
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Is it so hard to say a quarter till or a quarter past? Are people really this lazy?

The abbreviation doesn't happen in English.

German, however, is a phenomena all to itself when talking about time expressions.

BobCesca on
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    A 24 hour clock is the better clock.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    Yes I would know that if I lived there, because that's how you use it. What I'm getting at is that it can't possibly be the most common way to interpret half five. Because it sounds like the expression developed by pure chance, it could've just as likely had the opposite meaning. Whereas the other way of thinking about it is kind of intuitive.

It was interesting to get to know this at least, so that I don't use it wrongly when in Rome... err Londoninium.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Next I will attempt to explain the meaning of referring to a person as "brand new". It's probably not what you think.

japan on
This discussion has been closed.