As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Non-Human Persons

SpeakerSpeaker Registered User regular
edited January 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
News_666833a.jpg

Scientists say dolphins should be treated as 'non-human persons'
Dolphins have been declared the world’s second most intelligent creatures after humans, with scientists suggesting they are so bright that they should be treated as “non-human persons”.

Studies into dolphin behaviour have highlighted how similar their communications are to those of humans and that they are brighter than chimpanzees. These have been backed up by anatomical research showing that dolphin brains have many key features associated with high intelligence.

The researchers argue that their work shows it is morally unacceptable to keep such intelligent animals in amusement parks or to kill them for food or by accident when fishing. Some 300,000 whales, dolphins and porpoises die in this way each year.

“Many dolphin brains are larger than our own and second in mass only to the human brain when corrected for body size,” said Lori Marino, a zoologist at Emory University in Atlanta, Georgia, who has used magnetic resonance imaging scans to map the brains of dolphin species and compare them with those of primates.

“The neuroanatomy suggests psychological continuity between humans and dolphins and has profound implications for the ethics of human-dolphin interactions,” she added.

Dolphins have long been recognised as among the most intelligent of animals but many researchers had placed them below chimps, which some studies have found can reach the intelligence levels of three-year-old children. Recently, however, a series of behavioural studies has suggested that dolphins, especially species such as the bottlenose, could be the brighter of the two. The studies show how dolphins have distinct personalities, a strong sense of self and can think about the future.

It has also become clear that they are “cultural” animals, meaning that new types of behaviour can quickly be picked up by one dolphin from another.

In one study, Diana Reiss, professor of psychology at Hunter College, City University of New York, showed that bottlenose dolphins could recognise themselves in a mirror and use it to inspect various parts of their bodies, an ability that had been thought limited to humans and great apes.

In another, she found that captive animals also had the ability to learn a rudimentary symbol-based language.

Other research has shown dolphins can solve difficult problems, while those living in the wild co-operate in ways that imply complex social structures and a high level of emotional sophistication.

In one recent case, a dolphin rescued from the wild was taught to tail-walk while recuperating for three weeks in a dolphinarium in Australia.

After she was released, scientists were astonished to see the trick spreading among wild dolphins who had learnt it from the former captive.

There are many similar examples, such as the way dolphins living off Western Australia learnt to hold sponges over their snouts to protect themselves when searching for spiny fish on the ocean floor.

Such observations, along with others showing, for example, how dolphins could co-operate with military precision to round up shoals of fish to eat, have prompted questions about the brain structures that must underlie them.

Size is only one factor. Researchers have found that brain size varies hugely from around 7oz for smaller cetacean species such as the Ganges River dolphin to more than 19lb for sperm whales, whose brains are the largest on the planet. Human brains, by contrast, range from 2lb-4lb, while a chimp’s brain is about 12oz.

When it comes to intelligence, however, brain size is less important than its size relative to the body.

What Marino and her colleagues found was that the cerebral cortex and neocortex of bottlenose dolphins were so large that “the anatomical ratios that assess cognitive capacity place it second only to the human brain”. They also found that the brain cortex of dolphins such as the bottlenose had the same convoluted folds that are strongly linked with human intelligence.

Such folds increase the volume of the cortex and the ability of brain cells to interconnect with each other. “Despite evolving along a different neuroanatomical trajectory to humans, cetacean brains have several features that are correlated with complex intelligence,” Marino said.

Marino and Reiss will present their findings at a conference in San Diego, California, next month, concluding that the new evidence about dolphin intelligence makes it morally repugnant to mistreat them.

Thomas White, professor of ethics at Loyola Marymount University, Los Angeles, who has written a series of academic studies suggesting dolphins should have rights, will speak at the same conference.

“The scientific research . . . suggests that dolphins are ‘non-human persons’ who qualify for moral standing as individuals,” he said.

We have penalties for cruelty to animals, but usually when pressed people fall back on the justification that those penalties are more about the sickness of a person who abuses animals than the inherent value of the animals. Should there be a legal catagory of "non-human persons" though based instead the animal's demonstrable self-awareness?

Speaker on

• Options
    MoSiAcMoSiAc Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    What about the flip side to this? If they were considered non-human persons would they have to obey our laws? I'm fine with being nice to animals but what does anyone stand to gain (or lose) by calling them something other than an animal?

MoSiAc on
    Monster Hunter Tri US: MoSiAc - U46FJF - Katrice | RipTen - Gaming News | Los Comics
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    How the hell do you prove a dolphin is thinking about the future?

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I think the biggest challenge for treating dolphins, or any non-human species, as people is the lack of communication. We can do our best to avoid catching dolphins in fishing nets but we have to fish and we can't post signs saying, "DANGER! Fishing Zone!" to keep the dolphins out.

We do all kinds of insanely hazardous things involving or nearby humans but are able to provide adequate warning to keep them relatively safe. With dolphins we have no way to asking them what they want, telling them what we need, or communicating a compromise much less providing safety information. It's a very one-sided deal: we work to protect them and they just do whatever they want. It's rather akin to a parent and a child, except that a parent can expect their child to eventually learn that stoves are hot and the danger of sticking things in light sockets.

Not that we should do nothing, but I don't think there's a clear answer.

CptHamilton on
    PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    How the hell do you prove a dolphins is thinking about the future?

They found out a Dolphin was reading about 529 plans.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I think the biggest challenge for treating dolphins, or any non-human species, as people is the lack of communication. We can do our best to avoid catching dolphins in fishing nets but we have to fish and we can't post signs saying, "DANGER! Fishing Zone!" to keep the dolphins out.

We do all kinds of insanely hazardous things involving or nearby humans but are able to provide adequate warning to keep them relatively safe. With dolphins we have no way to asking them what they want, telling them what we need, or communicating a compromise much less providing safety information. It's a very one-sided deal: we work to protect them and they just do whatever they want. It's rather akin to a parent and a child, except that a parent can expect their child to eventually learn that stoves are hot and the danger of sticking things in light sockets.

Not that we should do nothing, but I don't think there's a clear answer.

Interesting point. If Dolphins are people, can we stop treating them like animals?

If Dolphins can learn simple symbol-based languages, why not just teach all of them a symbol for "DANGER! Fishing Zone!"

jothki on
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I imagine there's a relatively ubiquitous danger signal dolphins emit. Drop some buoys with that on loop.

Then again if they're as smart as this study believes eventually one of them will wander around in that area, realize there's no danger, and explain that humans are stupid to the rest of its pod.

Along the lines of the OP, I really think the more intelligent forms of squid, which have been demonstrated to have language, should be included in the non-human persons category as well. But they're so tasty.

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Lots of ways. Off the top of my head, let it watch a room where one parcel of food is placed in it every week. Put the dolphin in the room. If it saves food to make it through the week rather than eating it all instantly, then it planned for the future. Or teach it puzzles that involve saving objects from previous stages that are needed for later ones, etc

NotYou on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I read one of those articles yesterday. I imagine certain human persons will have a problem with this. The comments sections reinforced it of course.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I have no witty remark for this topic.

Dolphins aren't "non-humans", they are just like all the other creatures. Even us.

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I look forward to our burgeoning human-dolphin linguistic research mobile soon being able to understand our aquatic kin when they thank us for all the fish.

Though really, this raises some interesting ethical and evolutionary issues.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    What about elephants? Elephants enjoy making music have been shown to be able to recognize themselves in mirrors, which is something almost no other animal can do.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    What about elephants? Elephants enjoy making music have been shown to be able to recognize themselves in mirrors, which is something almost no other animal can do.

Very few, but I wouldn't go with 'almost no'.

The problem with any sort of test for sentience or self-awareness or whatever it is we're saying makes an animal a 'non-human person' vs. an animal is: what about humans who fail? There are humans with cognitive disorders who don't pass the mirror test. Human infants will fail damn near every test for cognition that you would apply to an animal. Are babies not persons? Are mentally handicapped people not persons? Do we need to treat dolphins better than kids with Down's?

(Note that I'm not actually arguing either way; I'm genuinely curious as to what kind of answer could be found for this sort of question)

CptHamilton on
  • Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Oh man, some of these comments:
    If dolphins are so near human how come they havent started any wars, staged murders,executions and pogroms, imagined a god that wants them to kill and enslave other dolphins, amassed fabluous wealth while watching other dolphins starve or wasted the planet, which are the unmistakable signs of humanity?

I don't understand how you can read that article and not go, "Dolphins exhibit abnormally high intelligence? That's fucking awesome!" But instead go, "Yeah? Well fuck those dolphins, thinking they're so smart. If they're so smart how come they don't enslave other dolphins? Huh, answer me that asshole!"

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    If dolphins are so smart, why the hell aren't they killing Japanese children by the thousands?

Seriously though, I'd love to see something like this at least attempted.

Falx on
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Deadfall wrote: »
    If dolphins are so near human how come they havent started any wars, staged murders,executions and pogroms, imagined a god that wants them to kill and enslave other dolphins, amassed fabluous wealth while watching other dolphins starve or wasted the planet, which are the unmistakable signs of humanity?

I don't understand how you can read that article and not go, "Dolphins exhibit abnormally high intelligence? That's fucking awesome!" But instead go, "Yeah? Well fuck those dolphins, thinking they're so smart. If they're so smart how come they don't enslave other dolphins? Huh, answer me that asshole!"

I would say that is evidence that they are smarter than us.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The problem with any sort of test for sentience or self-awareness or whatever it is we're saying makes an animal a 'non-human person' vs. an animal is: what about humans who fail? There are humans with cognitive disorders who don't pass the mirror test. Human infants will fail damn near every test for cognition that you would apply to an animal. Are babies not persons? Are mentally handicapped people not persons? Do we need to treat dolphins better than kids with Down's?

(Note that I'm not actually arguing either way; I'm genuinely curious as to what kind of answer could be found for this sort of question)
    I think the answer is that we look at a species as a group and determine their status as sentient/non-sentient in totality, rather than on a case-by-case basis.

All human beings, regardless of their individual intelligence, have the same inherent rights. Similarly, if we decide that there is enough evidence that dolphins, on the whole, are a sentient species, then all dolphins should be given the same level of rights and/or protections.

Modern Man on
    Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The coolest thing would be if a decent method of communication could be developed, even for very rudimentary ideas(pending on how intelligent they really are, differences in thought processes etc.).
    So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Rhan9 on
  • Options
    KastanjKastanj __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    I thought this would be a thread about those who don't like cats.

Kastanj on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010

Exactly my thought.

In general, I think we should err on the side of treating any potentially sapient creature with respect and mercy even if we have reason to doubt if they're truly sapient.

Right now, the territory that encompasses "person" is a triangle bounded by species on one side, viable physical birth on another side, and brain death on the third side.

I have no problem, hypothetically, including non-human species in that territory, but if we establish any kind of legal precedent, how do we ensure that the precedent is not inversed and used to justify the nonpersonhood of any arbitrary homo sapiens? This is a genuine question, not a rhetorical one. I don't want to just throw up our hands and say "well, it's too hard to make it work, so fuck it!" any more than I want to rush into a new paradigm without forethought. It's a question that we have to construct a satisfactory answer for.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Hmm, looking at the Mirror Test article on wikipedia, I didn't realize that so many of the great apes could. Or magpies and pigs. Though that is still a very small subset of animals. Have they tested octopodes or cuttlefish yet?

Also, fuck Firefox for not liking 'octopodes'.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BallmanBallman Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Rhan9 wrote: »
    The coolest thing would be if a decent method of communication could be developed, even for very rudimentary ideas(pending on how intelligent they really are, differences in thought processes etc.).
    So long, and thanks for all the fish.

I really don't see why it can't be done; I want to say I've read that dolphins communicate with one another with a very rudimentary language, but I don't have any details to back it up. However, I'd bet that dolphins would have the same problems with language that humans have had throughout our physical and social evolution. That is, groups of dolphins in different areas will have languages with completely different structures, so we won't be able to learn a universal "dolphin language." I think teaching them a "danger signal" for fishing zones might be possible, though, if we captured wild dolphins, taught them the signal, and released them in the wild to teach the other members of the species.

What I think would be really impressive would be if we could enact an international treaty to leave dolphins alone for the most part to allow them a natural course of evolution. However, given that the course of evolution is very long compared to human history, I doubt any kind of agreement among humans would be anymore than a blip compared to how long it will take to develop advanced dolphin societies. I guess what I'm saying is that if we all die off from a global event, dolphins are totally next in line.

Ballman on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Elephants also seem to understand death and have been noted for practicing burial rituals

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Feral wrote: »
    I have no problem, hypothetically, including non-human species in that territory, but if we establish any kind of legal precedent, how do we ensure that the precedent is not inversed and used to justify the nonpersonhood of any arbitrary homo sapiens? This is a genuine question, not a rhetorical one. I don't want to just throw up our hands and say "well, it's too hard to make it work, so fuck it!" any more than I want to rush into a new paradigm without forethought. It's a question that we have to construct a satisfactory answer for.

Why would it be arbitrary whether or not an animal is considered a person, but required that all humans be considered persons? Are you claiming that humans have some sort of super-personhood that no other animals have?

You're maintaining a double standard there.

jothki on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    i still don't understand why intelligence = greater moral value

that seems like a really bogus and biased means of establishing an ethical system

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    KastanjKastanj __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010

that seems like a really bogus and biased means of establishing an ethical system

Someone needs to be able to understand why things are the way they are and why they and their neighbor are protected. Which is why children have a special place in jurisprudence.

Kastanj on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Kastanj wrote: »

Someone needs to be able to understand why things are the way they are and why they and their neighbor are protected. Which is why children have a special place in jurisprudence.

that doesn't really answer my question

a person who doesn't understand why things are the way they are is still just as morally valuable as say, me, in all my enormous wisdom and acuity, har har

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    CorlisCorlis Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Tomanta wrote: »

I would say that is evidence that they are smarter than us.
    I'm reasonably certain that the original commentator was being sarcastic there. In any case, it's a moot point because dolphins can be assholes too:
    The team described the mammals' injuries as "perhaps the worst example of inter-specific aggression any of us had ever seen. This young female had literally had the life beaten out of her."

Corlis on
    But I don't mind, as long as there's a bed beneath the stars that shine,
    I'll be fine, just give me a minute, a man's got a limit, I can't get a life if my heart's not in it.
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    jothki wrote: »

Why would it be arbitrary whether or not an animal is considered a person, but required that all humans be considered persons? Are you claiming that humans have some sort of super-personhood that no other animals have?

You're maintaining a double standard there.

I haven't set up any standard, let alone a double one.

If we're going to redefine personhood, we have to be very careful if our new definition might result in the dehumanization (that's a biased word; perhaps depersonization) of creatures we currently consider to be persons.

Right now, only humans are persons, which means that the above sentence coincidentally only applies to humans.

But lets say that we gave dolphins personhood, and in 20 years had another discussion just like this one regarding chimpanzees. I'd warn against any redefinition of the concept of person that depersonizes dolphins as well.

I don't think it's terribly controversial to state that if our actions are going to lead to the revocation of "human" rights, we have to tread a lot more carefully than if our actions are going to lead to the expansion of human rights.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    MoSiAcMoSiAc Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I don't at all see a point in giving them a new classification. They are dolphins. They aren't asking for rights. We should be able to as a society of people treat them in a proper way without having to label them something different.

MoSiAc on
    Monster Hunter Tri US: MoSiAc - U46FJF - Katrice | RipTen - Gaming News | Los Comics
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    MoSiAc wrote: »
    What about the flip side to this? If they were considered non-human persons would they have to obey our laws?
    I should hope so.

Bunch of rapists.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

a person who doesn't understand why things are the way they are is still just as morally valuable as say, me, in all my enormous wisdom and acuity, har har

Ethics regarding treatment of others usually hinge on suffering. If you go with "suffering is wrong and all who are capable of suffering deserve treatment to minimize that suffering" then you run into problems with the treatment of insects and such because they have working nervous systems. For most people ethical treatment of spiders is more ethics than they want in their lives. So you condense to, "those who are capable of being aware of suffering". So non-'aware' species get whatever treatment we feel like giving them, humans get firm ethical judgments, and edge cases like the brain dead or severely retarded are dealt with case-by-case.

So far 'aware' has been a class restricted to humans. If we want to extend that to other creatures then we're going to need a much better definition of what 'aware' means, and I suspect that no matter how we define it we will rapidly find ourselves with a proliferation of non-human persons.

CptHamilton on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

It's also a mistake to confuse jurisprudence with moral concern. Yes, law does follow from morality, but it does not necessarily mirror it. Just because children have diminished rights in jurisprudence does not necessarily imply that they are morally less valuable. (In fact, I'd argue that morally they're generally considered more valuable - the murder of a child is met with more shock and horror than the murder of an adult, "women and children first," etc.)

Feral on

• Options
    CJTheranCJTheran Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

I think/hope that the commenter is making a comment about humans rather than dolphins: "We do these things, and we think we're smarter than dolphins?"

CJTheran on
  • Options
    CJTheranCJTheran Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    CJTheran on
  • Options
    BallmanBallman Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Also, we have a whole code of behavior we use when dealing with animals. That's why things like dog fighting are considered abhorrent. Just as a guess, I'd say that these rules technically hold for dolphins as well, and might even be satisfactory, but the enforcement of these rules is much more difficult since it's a lot harder to police the ocean. It might be that the scientists are trying to bring better awareness to the mistreatment of dolphins in a way that connects with people.

Ballman on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I just want to point out that Dolphins are on this list. http://www.cracked.com/article_15853_6-cutest-animals-that-can-still-destroy-you.html

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

It's also a mistake to confuse jurisprudence with moral concern. Yes, law does follow from morality, but it does not necessarily mirror it. Just because children have diminished rights in jurisprudence does not necessarily imply that they are morally less valuable. (In fact, I'd argue that morally they're generally considered more valuable - the murder of a child is met with more shock and horror than the murder of an adult, "women and children first," etc.)

yeah, i misread his statement about children

but if you're basing a law about dolphins on their level of intelligence, you're stepping squarely into the territory of the nature of personhood and the nature of moral value.

as cpthamilton said, the only logically valid result is a rapid proliferation of non-human persons which are morally equivalent to humans

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

I'd actually have to go with a yes on this, if the option were "Dolphin or Baby" , if what they're saying is true. Obviously it isn't a situation where you have to pick one or the other to [strike]be nice to[/strike] not murder, though.

Kamar on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    I just want to point out that Dolphins are on this list. http://www.cracked.com/article_15853_6-cutest-animals-that-can-still-destroy-you.html

Funny thing is, I own an American Dingo (well, an American Dingo mixed with something--the pound claimed it was a midget 45-pound German Shepard/Akita mix, but I'm pretty sure that's bullshit). At least some cases of Dingos are domesticated, in any case (I just assume the vast majority of them are still wolves or undomesticated or whatever).

Synthesis on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    NotYou wrote: »

Lots of ways. Off the top of my head, let it watch a room where one parcel of food is placed in it every week. Put the dolphin in the room. If it saves food to make it through the week rather than eating it all instantly, then it planned for the future. Or teach it puzzles that involve saving objects from previous stages that are needed for later ones, etc
    I'm remembering this from an article I read that I can't find at the moment, but, a trainer at an aquarium with a dolphin exhibit had taught the dolphins to retrieve pieces of trash that fell into their pool. When the trainer arrived the dolphins would bring garbage, and be rewarded with fish. One dolphin in particular seemed to always have trash to exchange for fish. They watched her, and discovered that she would find a large piece of garbage, like a piece of paper, hide it somewhere in the pool exhibit, then tear off small pieces of it to exchange for fish. They also observed her eating most of her fish, but saving pieces to float on the surface to attract sea gulls, which she would then snatch under water and eat.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png