Options

Pukio's Sketchbook (NSFW)

PukioPukio Registered User regular
edited November 2012 in Artist's Corner
So, I'm basically a hobbyist when it comes to art - it's just something I've always done and I'd say I'm entirely self taught (barring one drawing class I took in this past fall).
I'll probably be dumping various sketching and so forth here in the future and in general I love critique; despite the fact that I don't really pursue doing art professionally, I definitely want to progress and improve and totally welcome any and all critique. I've never been one to take up a hobby passively and as much as art is something I do for fun, I wholeheartedly would like to be good at it haha.

Lately I've been working on some quicksie character sketches for a short project I'm working on based on a story I wrote for a ballet (read: schmoopy fairy tale).

southwind-1.jpg

north-1.jpg

eastwind.jpg

westwind.jpg

sailor-1.jpg

beauty.jpg

merchant.jpg

father.jpg

mother.jpg

Pukio on

• Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I actually like these.

There are some serious anatomical and proportional issues, particularly with the West Wind, where the head is too large, the arms are too short, the shoulder is sitting wrong, and the torso is too short.

If you're just a hobbyist I'm not sure what advice to give you. Check out the questions/tutorials thread. There's a whole list of books there you could benefit from reading. Draw some figures. Do some gestures. Copy stuff. Draw from photos. Draw that cute girl at the coffee shop. Draw that cute guy at the coffee shop?

Check out Posemaniacs (But the take the anatomy with a grain of salt)

Also the west wind reminds me of this
    38306914.jpg

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Oh hey, thanks!

And yeah, I totally feel you re: head too big, arms too short (although I will say I'm kind of charmed by her torso).

MEANWHILE!:
    Some quick studies and a WIP.

armstudy.jpg
    (^^^ hand is lolariously small)

handstudy.jpg

treespiritsmall-2.jpg

Pukio on
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator Mod Emeritus
    edited January 2010
    These are all pretty awesome but yeah, proportion issues in pretty much all of them. I can tell you're going for some crazy foreshortening or whatever, but maybe work on getting the proportions down a bit better before complicating things.

bombardier on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    The proportion of your hands in those full arm studies is still a little small. Your forearm from elbow to wrist is only about 1.5 times the length of your hand from wrist to middle finger.

Roughly. I have smallish hands.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    worstcaseworstcase Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    It seems like you have tiny hands in almost all of these pictures. Try drawing your actual hand from life and that should help you some with that.

I love the way that latest piece is looking though. Very cool

worstcase on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Yeah, I definitely have issues with hands, re: perpetually going from too small to too large and so forth. Basically: needs moar hand and figure studies. Thanks a heap, I really appreciate it.

mannequin.jpg

hipstertree.jpg

I have a thing for tree people, apparently.

Pukio on
  • Options
    TemporalvisionTemporalvision Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I love the look of the wood character you've made.

Temporalvision on
    My Webcomic :arrow: www.2-thumbsdown.com
  • Options
    IkageIkage Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Ahhh your color choices are really great in your pieces. You have a good way of accentuating personality through it. Which is very important.

Anatomy could use a little, but i love the different size noses and features so every characters not all sameface. Your faces are distinctive and unique. GOOD.

Though try to keep your colouring a little more inside the lines I guess for critic. For concept work it's a little bit more on the clean side. Mainly because when your doing conceptual work your trying to keep in mind the characters silhouette.

southwind-1.gif

Silhouettes are vital to identifying characters and making them iconic.
    cartoon_silhouettes.gif

Edit: I choose my favorite piece of yours and gave her a more clear silh. Thanks to the unique faces you do for your characters her sihl has a very iconic look to her face.
    eastwind-1.gif

And doing thumbnail silhouettes for your characters will save you tons of headaches with poses.

Also stay away from handwriting your own font. I got lectured on this twice when I was doing portfolio reviews at Comicon. It looks very unprofessional and more or less a page from a sketchbook then production work. For me it was embarrassing to have that told to my face twice, by people I hope to employ me in the future.

Ikage on
    STRONGER THEN DIRT!! DIRT STRONG!
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Thanks so much for the remarks. Color has always been something I've felt weak with (or god, so much time spent in greyscale), so it's really encouraging to hear that I'm doing something right with it, even if it's just guesswork (discovered the color wheel like...all of a month ago. AW YEAH. Hurk.) Also, I really appreciate the silhouettes thing and it's definitely something that I'll keep in mind when doing more concept work. Seriously, thanks a lot.

Pukio on
  • Options
    L.E.O.L.E.O. Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    these remind me of those old french posters, when color lithography was first invented.

Ikage, amazing post.

L.E.O. on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Now that school's finally over, I've had some time to actually sit down and accomplish a thing or two. This was meant to be a quick sketch and then I liked the result, so I sat down and tried to figure out how digital painting actually, you know, works. I'm kind of pleased with the result and I feel like I learned a lot with this piece. I'm really excited to keep painting. Referenced a photo of Adrian Brody for the angle/wardrobe (and shamelessly lifted his nose) during the sketching stage, but otherwise I kind of made it up as I went.

michaelhotass.jpg

michaelpainting.jpg

michaelpainting-2.jpg

michaelpainting-3.jpg

Pukio on
  • Options
    KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    this is cool stuff.

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    ParadiseParadise Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Pukio, I love your colors.

Paradise on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Thank you both so much! It's seriously insanely nice to hear I'm doing something right with colors because god knows I'm just kind of...flinging stuff around until it works?

Speaking of, I'm not super happy with the color balance here and I think it needs more cool tones or something, but I figured I'd at least fling up a WIP. I honestly have no idea what I'm drawing and am just kind of...letting it do whatever it wants. HURP. Will probably actually work something into the back if I don't get too lazy.

weirdshit.jpg

Pukio on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Try relating the rest of the piece to those colors in the flower.

Paradise on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    neato

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Paradise: The only reason I kind of stray away from that is that I really want the colors of the flowers to be like...man, I'm trying to think of a way to phrase this - a mule kick to the face? in comparison to the more muted palette of the rest of the piece.

earthwormadam: WHY THANK YOU, SIR.

Pukio on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Pukio wrote: »
    a mule kick to the face?

Yeah, I know what you mean. You want it to stand out and be the obvious focal point. You want people to think, whoa shit look at those flower-eyes! Or whatever.

in comparison to the more muted palette of the rest of the piece.

But honestly, it doesn't have to be one or the other. You can add muted versions of the flower's colors to other parts of the composition, while still leaving a stark contrast between those bright eyes and the rest of it. That way, the whole thing might look more consistent. (In other words: still shocking, but less out of place.)

Paradise on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    A couple of character designs from a...thing...I'm hoping to accomplish this summer.

adorableduo.jpg

Pukio on
  • Options
    m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    god I'm looking forward to that thing
    that guy is awesome. Is that a door on her back?

m3nace on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    That is indeed a door in her back. Swish is a cyborg and that's how she gets her tune-ups.

Pukio on
  • Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Pukio you know I think they are the cutest things eveerrrr
    so gonna model the hell out of them <3
    I swear really

Kochikens on
  • Options
    Arden CaneloArden Canelo Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Why haven't I named a character Swish before. What was I thinking, not doing that. I like her. :B

Arden Canelo on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Aw man, thanks you guys. The characters are part of something I've been tinkering with for what feels like ever, so it's nice to get positive feedback.

nuclearfamily-1.png

I don't even know anymore, just that I sketched this and it was hilarious to me and then someone suggested I storybook it out and for some reason that translated to vexel arting for the first time? Which is both tedious and hell and possibly the most zen art experience of my life. Would love some critique on this, especially since I'm just starting out experimenting with this method.

Pukio on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    That is awesome. I'm not sure what criticism I can offer. It looks like you just need to keep at it.

I have seen a good bit of improvement since the beginning of this thread. That last pic is adorable.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Hey, thanks a lot!

gesture.jpg

Some quick gesture stuff over lunch. Nothing particularly special or captivating, but I feel like I'm getting better at weight and grounding and...stuff. Not happy with purple lady in the front, but whatevs.

Pukio on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    wolfkingsmall.jpg

A lameass pet project that I've been picking at (i.e. drew half of and then forgot about until today when I sat down and finished) since midway through my Spring semester. Obvious James Jean reference is obvious, but I've had fun tweaking the original painting and applying the concept to different material. May paint over this later (and fix the lolarious big bad wolf teeth), but for now I'm just pleased with it.

Pukio on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    lightningkid-2.jpg

Pukio on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    lightningkid-6.jpg

Pukio on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Pew pew pew

derplol.jpg

Pukio on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    i like that

a lot

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Oh hey, thanks!

Pukio on
  • Options
    m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    nice croc----gator
    it rocks!

m3nace on
  • Options
    EskiminzinEskiminzin Registered User new member
    edited June 2010
    m3nace wrote: »
    nice croc----gator
    it crocks!

Fixed! For free <3

I like your artwork Pukio you manage to capture people's character which is something i struggle with :)

Eskiminzin on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Pew pew pew

derplol.jpg

Pukio, this is amazing. Why did you draw it? How can I send you a word document that relates to it?

Paradise on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Quick Draw McGator needs some more love....which means you should colour it.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Some quick stuff. More alligators because they are hilarious (and hard to put pants on). Thanks to everyone, by the way. I may futz with these further because they make me laugh.

gator2.jpg

gator3.jpg

Also, cracktacular color palettes.

onorapainting-1.jpg

Pukio on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    alligatorgangster.jpg

Goddammit you guys.

Pukio on
  • Options