As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Left 4 Dead - Zombie Gabe demands headshots - IHateMountains campaign,survivor nerfs

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    gunwarrior wrote: »
    Fuck expert LMoE Hard Rain finale

Fuck it so hard
    The director: "Oh, he managed to kill the tank with 15 hp, I guess I should give him some breathing room to hea-FUCK THAT SHIT, JOCKEY/SMOKER TIME. WHAT? HE'S GETTING BACK UP AFTER BEING HUNTER POUNCED? GUESS I BETTER HAVE THAT HUNTER STAY RIGHT THERE SO IT CAN ONE HIT KILL HIM AS SOON AS HE GETS BACK UP. OH, HE'S GOING INSIDE TO GRAB A MEDKIT, I'M GONNA PUT A CHARGER RIGHT HERE.
    AHAHAHA LOOK AT HIM, HE'S TRYING TO FIGHT BACK, AHAHAHAHAHAHA"
    :x

Outside of a good group of players, this might be the easiest way to get the all campaign on expert achievement.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    gunwarriorgunwarrior Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Fuck expert LMoE Hard Rain finale

Fuck it so hard
    The director: "Oh, he managed to kill the tank with 15 hp, I guess I should give him some breathing room to hea-FUCK THAT SHIT, JOCKEY/SMOKER TIME. WHAT? HE'S GETTING BACK UP AFTER BEING HUNTER POUNCED? GUESS I BETTER HAVE THAT HUNTER STAY RIGHT THERE SO IT CAN ONE HIT KILL HIM AS SOON AS HE GETS BACK UP. OH, HE'S GOING INSIDE TO GRAB A MEDKIT, I'M GONNA PUT A CHARGER RIGHT HERE.
    AHAHAHA LOOK AT HIM, HE'S TRYING TO FIGHT BACK, AHAHAHAHAHAHA"
    :x

Outside of a good group of players, this might be the easiest way to get the all campaign on expert achievement.

Thats what Ive been doing, only hard rain and parish left

gunwarrior on
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    That's actually a really decent idea. Does it work for The Real Deal at all?

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Willeth wrote: »

You can't activate realism for mutations

gunwarrior on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

Oh well. I guess it's not really in the spirit of being the Real Deal, in any case.

Willeth on
  • Options
    isndlisndl Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Oh well. I guess it's not really in the spirit of being the Real Deal, in any case.

It's not really in the spirit of Still Something To Prove, either. :lol:

isndl on
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I've done all campaigns on Expert with Bots (and once or twice with people capable of not friendly firing with sniper rifles). I don't have Still Something to Prove because every time I hit 4/5 it resets it to 1/5.

Bethryn on
    ...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    AzadIsCoolAzadIsCool Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Bethryn wrote: »
    I've done all campaigns on Expert with Bots (and once or twice with people capable of not friendly firing with sniper rifles). I don't have Still Something to Prove because every time I hit 4/5 it resets it to 1/5.

Something similar happens to me in Portal with the "Camera Shy" achievement, where the count always seems to reset (I've played through the game 6 times, and still don't have it).

AzadIsCool on
    leftaq.jpgcenterv.jpgrightz.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Welp, now I illegitimately have the achievement I achieved legitimately.

And yeah, on Portal I've completed all the Advanced Chambers, it even says 6/6, and it doesn't give the achievement. Go figure!

Bethryn on
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    so what's the next mutation going to be?

is it less poopy?

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    ebotasticebotastic Going Gonzo In People's HeartsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010

is it less poopy?

http://www.l4d.com/blog/:
    L4D Blog wrote:
    Next Week's Mutation: Chainsaw Massacre

It's less poopy.

ebotastic on
    Please, call me ebo.
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

I can't see how you manage to do that. The bots are so fucking moronic when it comes to being able to shoot the speical infected that's 3 feet away from them that's whooping the shit out of me. What is their log path?

1.Shoot every single zombie within a 90 miles radius

if no zombies then

2.Search every room within the states border

if no rooms then

3. kill special infected roaming around

if no special infected's are roaming around then

4. save human player from being pin by special infected zombie.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010

I can't see how you manage to do that. The bots are so fucking moronic when it comes to being able to shoot the speical infected that's 3 feet away from them that's whooping the shit out of me. What is their log path?

if no zombies then

if no rooms then

You forgot 3.5
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqyNS7ZdY1A

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Dammit, every time that video pops up I have to watch it sixteen times.

Willeth on
  • Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I found last man standing to be kinda decent actually. Fun, not-too-hard, trifle to throw away half an hour (ok 40 mins, fucking jockeys :x) on.

Panda4You on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    20 min for me...

pretty boring considering goofing with people is half the fun.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Yeah I'm not really sure why you'd put a single player mode into an obviously multiplayer game. I don't think I could play L4D for 5 minutes on my own without quitting in boredom.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I found that being alone makes it quite a bit scarier.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I actually really liked single player L4D. Now if we had a mutation that was single player, had increased common infected, and removed all pinning SI (so boomer and spitter would still be in) I would play that over and over

gunwarrior on
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I want a mode that gets rid of SI entirely. Sometimes I just want to shoot zombies and not worry about spit or getting pulled around.

If I'm not mistaken there's a mutation that does this. I look forward to it.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    If you're local hosting, you can easily set up a script to automatically kick Special Infected as they spawn (except for the Witch). No need for a mutation.

isndl on
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    That is far too much hassle.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Which is why mutations exist in the first place. Most of them could be done with console commands or server mods but why bother when Valve will set up the game for you?

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/

• Options
    edited June 2010
    The script I'm talking about is actually dead simple, literally one line of text plus a command to activate it. You don't even need a config file to use it. I made one for L4D1 back in the day, and it doesn't start to get complicated until you begin adding extra features.

Mutations might've been largely unnecessary as a core feature were it not for the way servers are hidden from the user, although I suppose being able to bring 'modded gameplay' to the 360 made it especially attractive to Valve.

isndl on
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    ebotastic wrote: »

is it less poopy?

http://www.l4d.com/blog/:
    L4D Blog wrote:
    Next Week's Mutation: Chainsaw Massacre

It's less poopy.

that does sound significantly less fecal in nature

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

if no zombies then

if no rooms then

whato.jpg

Bethryn on
  • Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Screenshot or it didn't ha... oh godammit!

Well done.

Panda4You on
  • Options
    enderjsvenderjsv Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Really? The boomer placed last on the 360? I mean, sure he's not nearly as good as he was in the first game, but he can still cause quite a bit of chaos.

Still, I guess technically 5% doesn't mean people hate him. It just means he's not a favorite for a lot of people. That makes more sense. They need to do another poll for "least like infected".

enderjsv on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    MrDelish wrote: »
    Just's a pedantic head's up: it the context you're using it in, it's "shoot" not "shot"

this is the most meta grammar nazi post I've ever seen

and by meta I mean ironic

I have no honest clue where that first "'s" came from.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    carmofincarmofin Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    enderjsv wrote: »
    Really? The boomer placed last on the 360? I mean, sure he's not nearly as good as he was in the first game, but he can still cause quite a bit of chaos.

Still, I guess technically 5% doesn't mean people hate him. It just means he's not a favorite for a lot of people. That makes more sense. They need to do another poll for "least like infected".

what i dont get is why the hunter is so popular... i dont like the hunter all too much, it is 100% dependant on teammistakes, if noone wanders off, the hunter is practically useless. only thing that makes me like it more then the jockey is that you can use a hunter to kill off someone who is down.

carmofin on
    PSN | Steam
    ___
    NNID: carmofin
    3DS: 2852 6971 9745
    Throw me a PM if you add me
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    carmofin wrote: »

what i dont get is why the hunter is so popular... i dont like the hunter all too much, it is 100% dependant on teammistakes, if noone wanders off, the hunter is practically useless. only thing that makes me like it more then the jockey is that you can use a hunter to kill off someone who is down.

EXACTLY. He's almost as situational as the jockey. They both punish lone wolves but aren't very useful otherwise. The hunter's a little better in normal situations since he can get extra damage for long range leaps, but not much.

I think people voted for the hunter not because he's deadly, but rather because they love to get those long leap pounces. I have to admit it is pretty satisfying when it works. If the poll was based only on deadliness, I'd have to vote for the spitter.

enderjsv on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    carmofin wrote: »

EXACTLY. He's almost as situational as the jockey. They both punish lone wolves but aren't very useful otherwise. The hunter's a little better in normal situations since he can get extra damage for long range leaps, but not much.

I think people voted for the hunter not because he's deadly, but rather because they love to get those long leap pounces. I have to admit it is pretty satisfying when it works. If the poll was based only on deadliness, I'd have to vote for the spitter.

Probably, but the hunter was also the favorite in L4D1, so I'm betting thats why everyone is voting for him. I voted charger myself (bowling over teams, insta kill charges, etc), but hunter would have to be my second

gunwarrior on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Best part of hunter? getting 25 point pounces with one fell swoop and the added dmg.

that's pretty awesome and no other class (except charger) really has that instant damage.

Nappuccino on

• Options
    edited June 2010
    Nappuccino wrote: »
    Best part of hunter? getting 25 point pounces with one fell swoop and the added dmg.

that's pretty awesome and no other class (except charger) really has that instant damage.

Glad you threw in that "except charger" exception, because the charger get's 30 damage off the bat just for hitting two people. In fact, the charger's probably the only infected that I wouldn't mind seeing a nerf for. If they gave me the option to nerf the charger in exchange for buffing the Jockey, I'd take it.

Seriously, though, how often do you really get 25 point pounces with the hunter? I know you play on the PC and it's a bit easier on the pc, but even then it's probably fairly rare, right? I tend to get 10-15 point pounces fairly consistently but getting 25 point pounces is crazy hard. Also, most people who focus entirely on getting 25 point pounces do so at the expense of their teammates. They'll run halfway through a level to get to their "special spot" and wait there as their teammates die over and over again just for a chance at getting the 25 point pounce. And when they finally get it I'm always like "big deal, you could have had four times as much damage by now just by attacking consistently and helping us overwhelm the survivors." I hate selfish people who don't know how to play as a team. </rant>

enderjsv on
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The Charger's weird. It could probably use a slight nerf on normal and in versus, but it's one of the weaker specials on expert.

Burnage on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    The Charger makes me want an SI playground more than ever (and maybe we'll see it in Mutations). I just can't figure out the hitbox. Sometimes I'll knock someone over who was clearly nowhere near, and other times I'll bowl through a whole group and only actually hit two of them.

Willeth on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    The Charger makes me want an SI playground more than ever (and maybe we'll see it in Mutations). I just can't figure out the hitbox. Sometimes I'll knock someone over who was clearly nowhere near, and other times I'll bowl through a whole group and only actually hit two of them.

Lag. It's all about the lag.

enderjsv on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Closest thing you'll see in a mutation is going to be a mutation where it's 4 humans as SI vs a bot team of survivors.

Which I intend to play the hell out of.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    What would be a nice mutation is one where a single enemy player is a respawning common infected who has the chance to infect survivors on contact. No special infected.

Paladin on
    Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    i love the charger but like people have said it's entirely connection based. i feel like i've been dead on and whizzed right past packs of people. the hunter is still really good for breaking up groups too, though. if a bunch of people are jammed together near a ledge the hunter's knockback can send people over the edge.
    but my favorite combo will always be the jockey and the mill. i've capped all 4 survivors by running them up and off the edge, and waiting for the next player to come along into my trap...

Local H Jay on
This discussion has been closed.