As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Left 4 Dead - Zombie Gabe demands headshots - IHateMountains campaign,survivor nerfs

• Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Oh my god tank horde might just make me install L4D2 again

Robman on
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Hmmm why do I keep mixing the two modes up for things like that. It does a lot of tank damage in any case and it's better at saving your buddies in tank encounters. It's a sacrifice you can make depending on the map.

Alegis on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Alegis wrote: »
    Hmmm why do I keep mixing the two modes up for things like that. It does a lot of tank damage in any case and it's better at saving your buddies in tank encounters. It's a sacrifice you can make depending on the map.

just shooting the tank does way more damage than the gl does.

There's a DPS graph somewhere...

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    enderjsvenderjsv Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Can a charger survive a direct hit from a grenade launcher? I think it can. That's why I'm not too fond of it.

enderjsv on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Oh cool, a mutation that doesn't change anything at all except the last few seconds of the campaign.

Zek on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    enderjsv wrote: »
    Can a charger survive a direct hit from a grenade launcher? I think it can. That's why I'm not too fond of it.

http://www.geektacticalclan.com/left-4-dead-2-weapons-archive/

According to this it only does 400 dmg.

Chargers have 600 right?

edited: for bad link

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/

• Options
    edited June 2010
    Chargers do stumble though, right?

I usually don't take the launcher but everytime i can't get someone instantly saved (overwhelmed, aim disrupted or tank in-between) I curse the weapon I'm carrying. don't worry Alegis, it's not your fault, if only you had a grenade launcher

That and GL is annoying as hell on DK finale if the survivors aren't fighting on the podium.

Alegis on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Alegis wrote: »
    Chargers do stumble though, right?

I usually don't take the launcher but everytime i can't get someone instantly saved (overwhelmed, aim disrupted or tank in-between) I curse the weapon I'm carrying. don't worry Alegis, it's not your fault, if only you had a grenade launcher

That and GL is annoying as hell on DK finale if the survivors aren't fighting on the podium.

Melee weapons are a hell of alot better for said situation. Just keep swinging until you get there. No long reload, no being swarmed by zombies as you try to save them. etc.

Nappuccino on

• Options
    edited June 2010
    Well of course I meant saving survivors that aren't near you and you can't properly hit with ranged given the circumstance. Eventually you can always save your buddies - if it weren't up to the SI. it's clumsy for most encounters but it's fantastic vs SI for the troubled situations. You can save people not in LoS (which is silly, but it happens in PA VS). Worth the risk overall? Maybe not, but I appreciate it when it proves its use.

I always pick melee in vs.

Alegis on
  • Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'd like to see a mod/mutation, or an "uncommon common" in some new campaign or context, where capping the legs of this standard infected makes them crawl on the ground (ResEvil-style) instead of calling it a day. Thus they're slower but can creep "below the radar" of a survivor's attention; also harder to hit with melee. Maybe even full-on Dead Space-infection where you have to shoot off at least a couple of limbs before the fucker goes down? Blow off the head and he still keeps coming! :twisted:

Panda4You on
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Panda4You wrote: »
    I'd like to see a mod/mutation, or an "uncommon common" in some new campaign or context, where capping the legs of this standard infected makes them crawl on the ground (ResEvil-style) instead of calling it a day. Thus they're slower but can creep "below the radar" of a survivor's attention; also harder to hit with melee.

I'd like to see something like that implemented for Realism mode. As it is, shooting for the legs is as effective as going for the head, because if you remove a leg then the zombie dies. Surely if it were "realistic," legless zombies on the ground would still be a threat, like their armless counterparts that can still run around.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    Roland_tHTGRoland_tHTG Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    DeMoN wrote: »
    Well, everyone will probably end up killing each other at the very end.

What does the very end have to do with anything.

Roland_tHTG on
  • Options
    SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Okay, I finally caught the boat and got L4D2. Not having friends who play I'm getting horribly killed in the campaign on Normal.

What's up with the AI? L4D1 didn't have great AI either but I could usually finish the campaigns on Normal without too much trouble.

Sipex on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Sipex wrote: »
    Okay, I finally caught the boat and got L4D2. Not having friends who play I'm getting horribly killed in the campaign on Normal.

What's up with the AI? L4D1 didn't have great AI either but I could usually finish the campaigns on Normal without too much trouble.

Are you 360 or PC?

There is a PA 360 group but I don't know too much about that.

If you're on PC join Armadeadon.

Nappuccino on

• Options
    SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Yeah, 360. I'll have to look into that.

Sipex on
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The best way to get an invite to Armadeaddon is to [URL="steam://friends/joinchat/103582791429532423"]join the chat room[/URL]. There's almost always at least one admin in there.

EDIT: Oh. 360. Nevermind, then.

EDIT 2:
    Add the following gamertag to your friendslist: A PA L4D2 Group - list maintained by Local H Jay

BionicPenguin on
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    We're looking for a fourth on 360 right now if anyone wants to join.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    so when do the new mutations go live on the 360?

Zephos on
    Xbox One/360: Penguin McCool
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Zek wrote: »
    Oh cool, a mutation that doesn't change anything at all except the last few seconds of the campaign.

Most of the mutations have been pretty pointless and/or terrible.

It was a nice idea but this game just got dull too quickly and mutations have failed to change that.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I think Realism Vs is pretty rad. Also Follow the Liter was fun for a few rounds.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    At least we have realism vs for realz now thanks to mutations. And they may do something about medkit distribution in versus levels now. At least they have an extra incentive to fiddle around with different set-ups/hold polls.

Alegis on
  • Options
    thisismyusernamethisismyusername Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    No matter what they change or add, it will never be quite as fun as when it was new for everyone. New infected/weapons were great additions, but the more you throw into a multiplayer game, the more difficult it is to maintain a balance (referring to versus). Add that to all the AFK lobby leaders, rage quitters, frustrated nerds who yell, team killing, solo speed runners (versus), and 8 year olds, it becomes clear to me why games of L4D just aren't as exciting anymore.

I HATE hating Left 4 Dead...

thisismyusername on
    PA2sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    You should play on the armadeaddon. I know I would if I weren't pretending to study for my exams.

L4D pubs are terrible in general and the game is made for playing with communities.

Alegis on
  • Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Started working on my campaign again, decided I wasn't happy leaving it at two maps without a finale after all.
    4712081602_06c038aa8e_b.jpg
    4712081606_c9c75ac67a_b.jpg
    4712112084_5632845092_b.jpg
    Ya'll can read about what I'm doing on my blog if you want. I will most likely do an L4D2 version of this too

LaCabra on
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    No matter what they change or add, it will never be quite as fun as when it was new for everyone. New infected/weapons were great additions, but the more you throw into a multiplayer game, the more difficult it is to maintain a balance (referring to versus). Add that to all the AFK lobby leaders, rage quitters, frustrated nerds who yell, team killing, solo speed runners (versus), and 8 year olds, it becomes clear to me why games of L4D just aren't as exciting anymore.

I HATE hating Left 4 Dead...
    I must be really lucky because I've only ran into one jerk playing this game so far, and everyone turned on him pretty fast so he left.

My only hate is the stupid graphics bug I get that requires alt+tabbing to fix and I can't find any fix for, but that's it really. Oh and the submachine gun in L4D1 sucks.

815165 on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    LaCabra wrote: »
    Started working on my campaign again, decided I wasn't happy leaving it at two maps without a finale after all.
    4712081602_06c038aa8e_b.jpg
    4712081606_c9c75ac67a_b.jpg
    4712112084_5632845092_b.jpg
    Ya'll can read about what I'm doing on my blog if you want. I will most likely do an L4D2 version of this too

Consider me excited.

815165: have you tried validating your files?

Nappuccino on

• Options
    edited June 2010
    Nappuccino wrote: »
    815165: have you tried validating your files?
    Yeah, it happens in both games so it feels like some problem at my end and not a problem with the games themselves, but these are the only source titles I've had this problem with.

The entire screen goes blue and black so you're a sitting duck until you alt tab out and back in, I haven't been able to find any decent info on a solution, though.

815165 on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    That is odd... have you tried running game at the min settings to see it it keeps doing that? If having everything at the lowest settings prevents that from happening, just slowly add settings back up untill you get it again. In theory, whatever you changed last would be the problem.

Nappuccino on

• Options
    edited June 2010
    Nappuccino wrote: »
    That is odd... have you tried running game at the min settings to see it it keeps doing that? If having everything at the lowest settings prevents that from happening, just slowly add settings back up untill you get it again. In theory, whatever you changed last would be the problem.
    I'll try this after the football tonight, good suggestion. :^:

815165 on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    http://www.l4d.com/blog/post.php?id=3962
    Headshot! The only shot that counts is the one in the head.

Shoot them in the arm, shoot them in the leg, shoot them in the chest - it just doesn't matter! The only way these zombies are going down is with a head shot. Other hits will stumble them back, but only a head shot or decapitation will kill them.

This Mutation is available for Campaign Mode.

(snippet)

Also in This Update

We have the first of our planned Versus Changes. These changes will appear on the PC and later on the Xbox 360.

While not removing Defibrillators, we have made some changes to them. We scaled dynamic Defibs based on map length. This means unless the Defib was expressly set by the level designer to have more, the Director will only spawn them on a long map. The Director will also cap the number to one per map.

Using the Defibrillator is no longer free; there is now a 25 point scoring penalty for using a Defib. That means each time you use one, you will have 25 points removed from your final score. Will your revived Survivor make it far enough to be worth it?

Health kits will also be less numerous as we have removed the Director's dynamic Pill conversion.
    Previously if the first team was injured, the Director would spawn First Aid Kits instead of Pills for both teams. Now the Director will always just spawn Pills.

The Jockey received some minor buffs. His damage per second was increased and we removed his damage delay.

woopy

Alegis on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Infected buffs are always welcome to me. I hope the next fixes are to bugs in the campaigns.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I like all of those changes. Especially the changes to defibs (though I would prefer it is they were removed from VS completely). Also, one thing that was in the patch notes: no more explosive ammo in VS.

BionicPenguin on
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I really want to try this mutation out. Who is with me?

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I could go for some headshot I guess.

For vs I'm glad they lowered medkits but christ, please fix the boomer so it's at least vaguely reliable.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I wonder if that jockey change applies to Versus Realism? If so... D:

Burnage on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Yeah Realism vs just got knocked up another notch. Though I wonder how much the jockey's damage was increased. It was absolutely pitiful before. You had to steer them into some common infected in order to get any damage in.

RandomEngy on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So the wife and kid are going out of town for a week. I've got to stay behind because I've got a gig to play. So I'm gonna have free time like whoa. What are the odds of getting some Left 4 Dead (the first game) on with people in Armadeaddon? I really enjoyed it the few times I've played co-op with the PA crowd. If you guys still play it, I'll be up for a game.

Drake on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I think you'll get some people for the ihatemountains custom campaign

http://www.ihatemountains.com/

Alegis on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I just installed that the other day, actually. It's what has me thinking about L4D.

Drake on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I Hate Mountains is pretty fun.

815165 on
This discussion has been closed.