As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

He's out, [chat] before wicket!

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Leitner wrote: »
    It's the other extreme. One side plays to the stereotypes and the other flies to the other side of the planet from them.

Besides, it's also silly. You'd think a female in full body armor would wear different armor than her male counterpart. She has breasts, he does not. He has a penis, she does not. You'd design the armor around the gender wearing it.

How noticeable are those breasts going to be under a flak jacket, or plate armour? They're not, like reality objectivley backs this up. The only way to really tell is height and build, and the problems there are apparent.

"Good God you're a woman."

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    It's the other extreme. One side plays to the stereotypes and the other flies to the other side of the planet from them.

Besides, it's also silly. You'd think a female in full body armor would wear different armor than her male counterpart. She has breasts, he does not. He has a penis, she does not. You'd design the armor around the gender wearing it.

Athletic females don't necessarily have a lot in the way of breasts. And they bind them up. At worst with fitted armor you are looking at slightly more room with the breast plate, and slightly less room in any armor for the crotch. That's it. No real huge differences.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Alright, time to show my TMNT nerdiness.

The first movie was based on the comic books more than the TV show. Just like how the early seasons of the TV show more closely resembled the comic books as well. That's part of the reason for Casey Jones playing a prominent role in the movie and in the early part of the show, as he has a big role in the comics. Now, what winds up happening is the second and third movies move away from the comics and create their own storyline. At the same time, the TV show does the same thing. So basically, there's 3 different TMNT story lines going at the same time. One's a comic, one's an animated show and the third is live action movies. Eventually, the movies peter out and the TV show comes to an end. An attempt is made at a live action TV show which also has it's own unique storyline and that bombs after one season. Then, after 6 years, a new show is started in 2003 that promises to follow the comic storyline. And it has done that pretty well and remained popular. I can't even believe it's been on the air almost 7 years now. The original TV show lasted 10 seasons, though the last two were only like 8 episodes a piece (at it's height, Season 5 was 35 episodes long).

Unfortunately, Eastman and Laird had a falling out a few years back and I think Laird bought all the rights from Eastman (I might have that backwards).

There's more to this.

Eastman and Laird wanted to do Bebop and Rocksteady for the second turtles movie, and have that scientist be like Krangs brother or something, basically an alien in disguise, but at this point the comics and toys were much further ahead than the comic books, and the studio really put the clamps over the creators and that's why we had the ninja rap.

That's when eastman and laird started falling out from the studios. Their original position was that "okay, we know that it's kid friendly, but we're keeping the comics our baby, and that's what matters..." but eventually that just wasn't the case.

So onto TMNT3....

Well, there's no official reasoning as to why it sucked, but basically Lloyd Kaufman (the toxic avenger fame) stated in his book that the studios only bought the rights to the toxic crusaders to strong arm eastman and laird into backing a third ninja turtle movie after the fallout from the second one, stating "we can always get another property"

edit: according to wiki, when Kaufman discovered this, along with the fact that they were never going to make a toxic crusaders movie, he actually sued the studios and won. So go him.

The other reason for "Go Ninja Go Ninja Go" and the stupid asian kid was because the first movie was seen by some parents as too violent, too gritty and too offensive to be a PG movie. So the studio wanted to tone it down and add in the kid-in-peril character. Remember in the first one that April, while not being a trained ninja or anything, is not a pussy. She stands up for herself quite a bit. Casey Jones is also a vigilante psychopath. The humans in the first movie can hold their own ground. But the studios felt that they needed some sort of kid in there to relate to the kid audience.

For me, that's part of the reason why the first movie holds up so well and the second one doesn't. It's not dumbed down for the audience. It's actually a good movie.

The scene when Donatello and Casey are trading childish insults inside the garage is exactly the same kind of shit we do to eachother here too.

I can see that and top it..

The "kid" was actually the stuntman who did all of the martial arts for Donatello.

Also, Turtles 1 was the reason PG-13 was invented.

Lastly, I rewatched the original a few months ago and I gotta say, the martial arts really hold up, They do some pretty damn impressive jump and spin kicks to be wearing 60 pounds of turtle

It is decided. I know exactly what I am doing today. Now if only I could find a big cheesy pizza to go along with the movie. . .

Fun Fact: I still have a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles poster on my wall that says "Recylce Dude" and they are all kicking it with a pizza. The copyright date says 1991 and it has been in the same spot since I ripped it out of the sticker book as a kid.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Preacher wrote: »
    Variable wrote: »
    I thought something spielberg did was the reason for PG13?

Yeah specifically Temple of Doom, but he was saying that turtles should have been pg 13.

I thought that was it but wasn't sure.

okay thanks I misunderstood.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    variable are you for totes going to PAX East?

I'm not registered yet but yes.

hrrmmm

I need to work out the cost of this whole adventure before i can even think about going

Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    GOD SPEAKS TO ME THROUGH CROSSTABS

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    It does occur to me that the other thing about Natal is that I have access to an enormous basement with a projector onto a wall for a screen. So I see more then the average living room applications.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Meh.

If there's one thing I realized about myself its that once I hit a certain point where I'm happy, it gets boring fast. And these days, since I know I've done it twice before, I'm pretty disinterested in the process. But it's not like Zone 3 or paintball is something you can do every week.

Uh, you can totally paintball every week. I've done it?

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Even the PS3 motion controls are going to suck for the reasons I said earlier.

No weight, no feedback, 1:1 controls fall apart at that point.

They work sometimes. Because the game says

FLAIL YOUR CONTROLLER LIKE A MAD MAN

and that works.

Also if you get a PS3 you'll be in time for Super fighting in the streets.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010

Athletic females don't necessarily have a lot in the way of breasts. And they bind them up. At worst with fitted armor you are looking at slightly more room with the breast plate, and slightly less room in any armor for the crotch. That's it. No real huge differences.

I'm talking from a game perspective. Not real perspective. It makes differentiating between characters in full body armor easier, especially if they wear the same colors.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    Oh hey Will I played the Bayonetta demo it was rad and you are a bad person

Yeah I bet you thought it was totally kawaii you weeaboo motherfucker.

^_^

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

hrrmmm

I need to work out the cost of this whole adventure before i can even think about going

I probably should too.

I like to work backwards, though.

Variable on
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    It does occur to me that the other thing about Natal is that I have access to an enormous basement with a projector onto a wall for a screen. So I see more then the average living room applications.

definitely moving to Australia and living with you fyi

Arch on
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    how much is it supposed to snow tomorrow..?

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Yeah specifically Temple of Doom, but he was saying that turtles should have been pg 13.

Its ok, I do it all the time.

The story with temple is that at the time it qualified for a pg rating and spielberg wrote the rating board and said "uhh we need something between pg and r because temple should not be a pg". Hell if I remember right freaking jaws was a PG movie.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I enjoy my wii, Will

You forgot D) Guys with girlfriends who do not play a billion videogames a day and want to get them into video games or E) Families with small children who like kid friendly stuff

This, forever.

But more to the point, I bought my parents a Wii for holiday this year, and it has become their default "we're going to have people over" activity.

It isn't really a "video game console". I'd call it an "Entertainment System", which is rather ironic.

A Nintendo Entertainment System.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Gloria from DMC looks like Lady Gaga

Hakkekage on
  • Options
    thisisntwallythisisntwally Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Dunadan019 wrote: »

we've got 2 inches on the ground so far. western indiana has 6.

thisisntwally on
    #someshit
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010

as much as I'd like to just roll with that, actually I had thought all this time that Turtles caused the PG-13 rating. I was just wrong.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I'm talking from a game perspective. Not real perspective. It makes differentiating between characters in full body armor easier, especially if they wear the same colors.

Why do I need to be able to differentiate?

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Negative. All armor should accurately model male and female hips and butts. Which do not lie.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

That was the point I was trying to make.

Arch on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

hrrmmm

I probably should too.

How many people do you think is acceptable to stuff in a hotel room?

I am willing to sleep in the bath tub if i have to

Hakkekage on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I enjoy my wii, Will

You forgot D) Guys with girlfriends who do not play a billion videogames a day and want to get them into video games or E) Families with small children who like kid friendly stuff

This, forever.

But more to the point, I bought my parents a Wii for holiday this year, and it has become their default "we're going to have people over" activity.

It isn't really a "video game console". I'd call it an "Entertainment System", which is rather ironic.

A Nintendo Entertainment System.

you just made me want to fuck you.

Variable on
  • Options
    ResRes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    Exceptions do not disprove the general rule

Yeah but the general rule is that women wear thongs. Justin is suggesting that giving them clothes would require them to hide their tits, an inane argument if ever there was one. But I can't think of a game that gave women believable garb that made them look identical to their male counterparts.

Except maybe Metroid. Samus's armor is pretty gender-neutral.

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2010

You can still have female characters without going all tit armor. I mean body size, and voice actor works to distinguish them already.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    new computer put together!

new motherboard doesn't work!

!!

what doesn't work about it?

it doesn't post, no beep and no display. not the video card because we tried a different one. processor is seated fine, we took all the ram out and unhooked all the drives.

can't say for sure what's wrong but it isn't working.

do you have the 24 pin and the 4 pin power connectors plugged into the motherboard?

of course duna.

I had my friend's brother come over, he's an IT dude which yeah they can be retarded but he really went through every possible mistake I could have made and I'm happy to say I didn't. deciding a part is bad is absolutely the last step, but I've been through every other step either I or he could think of.

You have the motherboard on the case with the gold screws they sent, right?

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Its ok, I do it all the time.

The story with temple is that at the time it qualified for a pg rating and spielberg wrote the rating board and said "uhh we need something between pg and r because temple should not be a pg". Hell if I remember right freaking jaws was a PG movie.

the original Blues Brothers was rated R for 3 swear words... 1 of them being 'damn'

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited January 2010
    Also I'm just going to say it: anyone who is against haptic controls is a unfit nerd who should be welcoming them as a fun motivator to increase their chances of actually having sex.

I am giggling at you so hard right now. Yes I am such an unfit nerd. I didn't lift weights yesterday and I'm certainly not going running today. And god knows I hate playing paintball! All that exertion is just TOO much. :P

DUE: If I win those $500 I am considering picking up a PS3.

Exercise objectively sucks. It has benefits, but the activity is boring and eventually, unrewarding without some serious psychological damage. Exercise when disguised as killing people in a scenario where I feel indestructible? This can only be a good thing, because between gaming and exercising gaming is clearly more interesting.

You know if they hooked up a gamepad to a treadmill or exercise bike or something and then made the exercise movement something integral to the game then I could see it working. The problem is that for the most part games that require actual movement generally aren't very engaging and the movement they require isn't especially good exercise.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I enjoy my wii, Will

This, forever.

It's not ironic at all.

NES

Nintendo pretty much told us all straight up on day one that they wanted to make an entertainment system again. And they did.

I respect them for it.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010

If they all look the same but have different roles, how are you going to pick out who should be doing what in a fight

And if they all look the same, the lose personality to the character. Then you have to solely rely on the voice/writing to add some kind of personification.

If you make your guys on your team look the same, what's the point? People love customization/differentiation.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Samus has 80s power shoulder pads

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    You know what female character is totally pushing the bounds for what is appropriate for women to wear in games?
    tf2_pyro.jpg

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

as much as I'd like to just roll with that, actually I had thought all this time that Turtles caused the PG-13 rating. I was just wrong.

AH I gave you an out man... YOU SHOULD HAVE TAKEN MY OUT NOW VARIABLE WAS RIGHT!

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

hmm

not much, I think

fk38za.jpg

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

hrrmmm

I probably should too.

How many people do you think is acceptable to stuff in a hotel room?

I am willing to sleep in the bath tub if i have to

The equation is (total number of bed spaces) * 3 + (couches + 5).

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Res wrote: »
    Exceptions do not disprove the general rule

Yeah but the general rule is that women wear thongs. Justin is suggesting that giving them clothes would require them to hide their tits, an inane argument if ever there was one. But I can't think of a game that gave women believable garb that made them look identical to their male counterparts.

Except maybe Metroid. Samus's armor is pretty gender-neutral.

It was designed to be. That was the "OH SHIT" factor of the first game, when you find out she's actually a woman.

But in modern games, it's definitely a bit more feminine. Not obviously so, but if I saw that armor without knowing Samus' gender, I'd probably lean towards woman.

Solomaxwell6 on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Elendil wrote: »
    Samus has 80s power shoulder pads

accurately modeled on pantsuit shoulder pads

Hakkekage on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Well done Inq.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    edited January 2010

the original Blues Brothers was rated R for 3 swear words... 1 of them being 'damn'

That's hilarious, though one movie I still can't figure out why it's an R is the first Matrix. There isn't a lot of swearing, or blood. Is it just the sheer amount of death and implied violence?

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
This discussion has been closed.