As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Droids, contracts, and the quest for a phone

RhalloTonnyRhalloTonny Of the BrownlandsRegistered User regular
edited January 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Okay, so here's my question-

I'm currently on a Family Share plan with my family- the plan has expired, and is being paid month to month due to uncertainty about location and such in the future.

All the phones on the Family Share plan are eligible for an upgrade- and I wish to upgrade to the Droid.

I'm already aware that I'll need to add the 30 dollar a month data plan, but what I'm curious about is if I'm able to upgrade to the Droid without forcing the people on the Family Share plan to sign a 2 year contract.

Anyone know if it's possible to do this?

!
RhalloTonny on

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    If you plan on getting the discount, yeah, you'll either have to get on your own plan or the family will have to sign for two years.

I imagine you could just pay full price for the Droid and avoid doing that.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    shugaraeshugarae Phoenix, AZRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So, you're on Verizon, correct?

If so, each phone# has a separate contract, so yes, you can sign a contract and upgrade your phone without doing so with the others.

shugarae on
    Omeganaut class of '08. Fuck Peggle. Omeganaut class of '17 West. Fuck Rainbow Road.
    The Best in Terms of Pants on JCCC3
  • Options
    RhalloTonnyRhalloTonny Of the BrownlandsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Yes. We're on Verizon with a family share plan- which means it shares minutes, etc- so it is possible to sign up for a contract on my line, and not affect the billing and plans of the other phones?

RhalloTonny on
    !
  • Options
    ElinElin Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Yes. We're on Verizon with a family share plan- which means it shares minutes, etc- so it is possible to sign up for a contract on my line, and not affect the billing and plans of the other phones?

Negative there, when you upgrade a line on a family share plan you renew the contract for all lines. Just upgraded my phone recently so I'm sure it hasn't changed. If you're month to month you can probably move your number to a separate contract on your ownsome without costing the share plan money, but you'll be paying more on your own for your line.

Elin on
    Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    shugaraeshugarae Phoenix, AZRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    o.O

I used to work for verizon and still have my family share plan through verizon and each of my phones is on a separate contract and upgrade period.

If your phone# isn't the primary line, they can switch it to be the primary line, at which point you would renew your 2-year contract for just that phone to get the upgrade. All of the subordinate phone#'s would keep their month-to-monthness, so you could cancel them at any time.

In any case, it doesn't cost you anything to call them and get a direct answer to your question :P

shugarae on
    Omeganaut class of '08. Fuck Peggle. Omeganaut class of '17 West. Fuck Rainbow Road.
    The Best in Terms of Pants on JCCC3
  • Options
    LavaKnightLavaKnight Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Yeah, as far as I remember, each line has separate upgrade periods.

LavaKnight on
  • Options
    TopweaselTopweasel Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    LavaKnight wrote: »
    Yeah, as far as I remember, each line has separate upgrade periods.

Correct. Recently got off of a family plan with them. Business plans might be over all of them, but family plans each line in the plan should have their own contract.

Topweasel on
  • Options
    NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I was just in a verizon store, and they said I can switch plans whenever I want from my family plan. That there isn't really the whole locked into contracts system anymore.

NotYou on