As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[D&D 4e Recruit on!] [Maptools] Scales of War

CalaCala Registered User regular
edited January 2010 in Critical Failures
ScalesofWar_edited1.jpg

advpath2.jpg

Heya all! This might be a tad cliche at this point but I'm planning on running a campaign following the Scales of War adventure path from Dungeon magazine. All the regular caveats apply such as me changing things as I see fit, yadda yadda, etc.

What you need to know:

1) I'll be running the game as DM but I already have 3 friends who will be playing. 2 of them are new to D&D entirely and 1 is new to 4th edition. This is my first time DMing so expect me to make mistakes and such. I have however played a decent amount before and have a pretty good understanding of the rules.

2) This does mean however, that I am still looking for 3 other players. The adventure path is written for a party of 5 but I figure a party of 6 is a good buffer in case someone can't make it one night and it shouldn't be too difficult for me to scale (hah! I'm sorry...) things up whenever fortune smiles upon us and we have a full house.

3) All 3 of my current players are playing strikers (archer ranger, sorcerer or warlock, and monk). This obviously means that we have all 3 other roles left to fill.

4) As advertised in the thread title, this will be run on Maptools and I also have a Ventrillo server that we can use for voice chat. I would prefer if people had microphones but don't be entirely discouraged as long as you still have speakers and think you can keep up with the typing!

5) The tentative game time would be on Thursday nights from 8pm to 11ish pacific time.

6) There should be plenty of opportunities for RP throughout sessions but as far as I understand it, much of the SoW adventure path is fairly combat heavy so be prepared for that.

7) When submitting your character, please keep in mind that this campaign will mostly be about heroes preforming heroic tasks and as such, don't submit any evil characters. In a similar vein, I'd like for this to be team focused so please don't submit kleptomaniac loners with an affinity for crossbows mounted on bulettes.......On 2nd thought, the crossbow mounted bulettes can stay.

Character Info

Races

You can use any race from any of the books/dragon magazine except the following: those from the monster manual, Bladelings, and Gnolls. Other than that, I think everything else is fair game so go ahead if you want your crazy Minotaurs, Wilden, or Abyssal Genasi!

Classes

The only classes that I'm disallowing at this time are the Psion and the Ardent due to the fact that I've heard rumblings of issues with power points and such. However, if you can present a compelling argument/character concept, I may reconsider.

Backgrounds

You can use backgrounds from the PHB 1 and 2, any of the "power" books (divine power, etc), and the scales of war path. No Eberron or Forgotten Realms backgrounds please.

Everything else

Characters start at level 1 with the default starting gold of 100 gp.

As for gods, the normal ones apply (Pelor, Erathis, etc.)

Regarding your character stories, the adventure starts in the small town of Brindol located in the Elsir Vale. Decades ago, the Vale was the site of a battle with an army known as the Red Hand. Ever since then, it has been fairly peaceful but of course, that couldn't last. The local population has seen increasing activity from Hobgoblins on the outskirts and just recently, Brindol has been the focus of a few small raids before the goblinkin retreated back to their caves. The town's leadership has sent out a call for adventurers in order to deal with the problem and stop the hobgoblins before they become too bold.

Your characters will start in the town of Brindol and it is likely that they came responding to the call for assistance. Feel free to come up with any other reason why your character might be there though if it fits the situation.

I'd like to start the game 2 weeks from now on the 21st so I'll be closing character applications on the 14th. Depending on recruitment interest, I may extend the application deadline or end it early and even start the game a week early if I get lots of applications. :winky: So get those applications in fast!

If you have any questions, let me know and I'll be happy to answer them.

Cala on

• MistaBadassMistaBadass Registered User new member
    edited January 2010
    I am very interested in joining this group. The time is perfect, I'm EST so that isn't a problem, and the day is before I go to work. Right now I am in Cincinnati for the playoffs so I won't be able to post a caracter sheet until Monday morning but I would like to play a paladin or cleric or rouge. Short of those three classes I would play any role the group needs/wants. If you need any additional information email me and I'll answer them.

MistaBadass on
  • KitsuvoKitsuvo Registered User new member
    edited January 2010
    Hey there. This game sounds like a great fit for me. I'm in Pacific Time myself, and Thursdays are usually spent watching T.V. with nothing to do. However, there are some issues; 1) I don't have a mic, so I'd have to type fast (which I should be able to do), and 2) I've never played D&D. I've read about it, have always wanted to try it, and fool around in the D&D Character Builder every now and then - but have never actually played it. It's pure luck I found this posting, truth be told. I just googled 'D&d newbie irc game' and this came up.

Buuutttttt..... If you'll have me, this is a character I whipped up.
    Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder
    Alec Harmon, level 1
    Human, Cleric
    Build: Devoted Cleric
    Background: Traveling Missionary, Recent Convert, Found Religion Among Others (Traveling Missionary Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
    Str 11, Con 10, Dex 12, Int 10, Wis 17, Cha 16.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
    Str 11, Con 10, Dex 12, Int 10, Wis 17, Cha 14.

AC: 11 Fort: 11 Reflex: 12 Will: 16
    HP: 22 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 5

TRAINED SKILLS
    Heal +10, Religion +7, Arcana +5, Insight +8, Diplomacy +8

UNTRAINED SKILLS
    Acrobatics +1, Bluff +3, Dungeoneering +3, Endurance, History, Intimidate +3, Nature +3, Perception +3, Stealth +1, Streetwise +3, Thievery +1, Athletics

LANGUAGES
    Common
    Elven
    Goblin

FEATS
    Cleric: Ritual Caster
    Human: Harbinger of Rebirth
    Level 1: Pulse of Life

POWERS
    Bonus At-Will Power: Astral Seal
    Channel Divinity: Healer's Mercy
    Cleric at-will 1: Lance of Faith
    Cleric at-will 1: Sacred Flame
    Cleric encounter 1: Divine Glow
    Cleric daily 1: Beacon of Hope

ITEMS
    Ritual Book, Travel Papers, Adventurer's Kit, Holy Symbol (Necklace), Mystic Salves (Heal) (20), Alchemical Reagents (Arcana) (20), Identification Papers, Standard, Leather Armor, Scythe, Flask (Oil-filled) (4), Oil (1 pint) (4), Torch (5), 2gp 7sp 8cp

RITUALS
    Gentle Repose, Tenser's Floating Disk

Background, in imaginary interview form:
    Do you have a family?
    My mother and father, of course. They ran the village inn together. My father the innkeeper, and my mother the cook. And then there are my brother and sister, Melora bless their souls. They became adventurers together, and… and we haven’t heard anything from them since…

Care to elaborate?
    What? They just… stopped sending their letters. The one condition to them becoming adventurers is that they would always write… And then, one day, the mail, it just… stopped coming.

What happened?
    I don’t know… I wish I did. At least then, I could get over it. The uncertainty of it all, I just can’t give up hope that they’re still out there.

So then YOU left home, too?
    There… was nothing left for me there. The news, or lack of it, tore my folks up. They sold the inn, and retired. Nowadays, they just sit around, doing whatever. They just aren’t themselves anymore..

Then what?
    I had decided to leave. I took what little savings I had, bought some supplies for the journey, and walked. No planning, no destination. I just chose a direction and walked. I didn’t care what happened to me, I just wanted out. But, whether by fate, or luck, I came across a cleric. An elven cleric.

A cleric? In the middle of nowhere?
    I know. Turns out, she was a travelling missionary, as I would become. We stopped, and talked. Luckily some of the elven merchants that stayed at the inn paid with elven lessons, or I wouldn’t be where I am today. We talked about things. Things like Life, the afterlife, and all that stuff. She helped me, in my time of need, and she insisted to take me to her temple. Who was I to say no?

So, that explains how you became a missionary… One more question.
    Yes?

Am I in?

Kitsuvo on
  • WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I've inquired about another game on thursday night, but pending that actually happening, I would love to join in here. I can throw in a defender or controller or really any role as needed.

Wassermelone on
  • KingofnodKingofnod Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I am VERY interested in participating. I DM what games i can pull together in my home town(it is very hard getting players together) and I would relish the opportunity to play as a PC. I would like to play a Wizard if i had a choice. I will post a character I have made up later this evening. Looking forward to gaming with you!

Kingofnod on
  • CalaCala Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I have no problems with newbies to the game as I already knew that I'd have to be teaching the game to a few players so have no fear!

For anyone wanting to submit entries, feel free to submit more than 1 character if that's your fancy.

Cala on
  • CalaCala Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Last chance to submit character entries!

I still haven't heard back yet from some of the people in this thread so let me know if you're still interested.

Cala on