As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Halo3/Wars/Reach - REACH BETA = May 3rd; NEW REACH MULTI VID IN OP

• FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2010
    It's equipment that can function as perks. And you can pick up other player's equiperks when you kill them.

FyreWulff on
  • PilgrimPilgrim Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I've been out of the loop for a while but Reach is looking awesome.

Also, I should probably get around to playing CE soon.

Pilgrim on
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Local H Jay on
  • El ExtremoEl Extremo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Guy's got a hardcore pube beard.

El Extremo on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    T4CT wrote: »
    but they stated once upon a time that these books were going to be canon and it'd be nice if they at least acknowledged the fact that they exist, especially since some of Nylund's work is very well done.
    Much of Cortana's dialogue in Halo 3 is quotations from FoR, so there's that.

Arteen on
    edited January 2010
    They acknowledge them, but what they're just saying is Halo: Reach isn't going to be Halo: Reach: The Book: The Game.

I know ILB is now officially canon, too.

FyreWulff on
  • EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    They acknowledge them, but what they're just saying is Halo: Reach isn't going to be Halo: Reach: The Book: The Game.

I know ILB is now officially canon, too.

I took that to mean that Reach wasn't going to be a Chief game, and don't expect to run across him. Many of the events with Fall of Reach in general will remain the same, but we're seeing a side story.

EvilBadman on
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Hell, the Chief never set foot on Reach, did he? Something like that's pretty fundamental, and if they change that, it'll be weird.

I still expect the after-credits scene to be a new-engine prettifying of the Halo CE opening, though. Just that first part with the ship slipping out near Halo and Cortana and Keyes talking. And then unseal the hushed casket, fade to black

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Willeth wrote: »
    Hell, the Chief never set foot on Reach, did he? Something like that's pretty fundamental, and if they change that, it'll be weird.

I still expect the after-credits scene to be a new-engine prettifying of the Halo CE opening, though. Just that first part with the ship slipping out near Halo and Cortana and Keyes talking. And then unseal the hushed casket, fade to black
    Oh they gotta do this. That would be so sweet.

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • SnowblindvictimSnowblindvictim Flying casual Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Chief was on Reach a bunch of times. I'm sure he's been there more than I'm listing

Forgive any poor descriptions it's been a while since I've read the books
    Fall of Reach he was involved in some sort of mission to defend the planet and in First Strike he rendezvous with the remaining Spartans and Dr. Halsley

Also that EVA helmet is awesome. But damn I really don't feel like getting or spending time on Halo Wars.
    It just wasn't my thing. But I'll always be at a Waypoint disadvantage I guess :(

Snowblindvictim on
    edited January 2010
    So Thrill just got his General achievement.

I guess it's time for me to fire up Halo Wars.

FyreWulff on
  • Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Yeah, he said he did it solely so you'd never catch up, Fyre.

You must prove him wrong.

Mx. Quill on
  • SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Got my vidmaster achievement for 4 player Live halo on Halo 3 using only Ghosts on the last level on Legendary with Iron on.

Damn that was a long two and a half hours but it was fun.

Sipex on
  • joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Blue dot.

joshgotro on
  • Destiny's DesireDestiny's Desire __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    Chief was on Reach a bunch of times. I'm sure he's been there more than I'm listing

Forgive any poor descriptions it's been a while since I've read the books
    Fall of Reach he was involved in some sort of mission to defend the planet and in First Strike he rendezvous with the remaining Spartans and Dr. Halsley

Also that EVA helmet is awesome. But damn I really don't feel like getting or spending time on Halo Wars.
    It just wasn't my thing. But I'll always be at a Waypoint disadvantage I guess :(

Chiefs mission in FoR was to wipe the NAV data on the ONI Prowler, the UNSC Circumference. During the initial assault on Reach, Chief never set foot on the planet.

Destiny's Desire on
    edited January 2010
    Social Living Dead is now up, chumps

FyreWulff on
  • Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    That's a conundrum; do I want to shoot zombies that go "Wort wort wort", or ones that spit, puke, charge, pounce, smoke, cry, ride, and punch?

Mx. Quill on
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    how about BOTH

Local H Jay on
    edited January 2010
    But then I'd need to spontaneously grow another set of arms, another set of eyes, and purchase another TV and XBox to do both at once. And frankly, I don't have the money nor radioactive waste to pull either off.

Mx. Quill on
  • xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm pretty sure 'wort wort wort' wins every time.

I mean look, he's just so cute:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xF5b7Q-P1lc

xzzy on
  • T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I think we should all play Halo CE someday

via Hamachi so it can simulate a LAN environment or something.

T4CT on
    edited January 2010
    I still have my PC Halo disc.

Too bad the netcode is crap. :( And you can't play elites in the first Halo.

Does Hamachi work with the Halo you can download onto the 360?

xzzy on
    edited January 2010
    For Halo Xbox you would just use XBC..

FyreWulff on
    edited January 2010
    i doubt it.

I only brought this up because Halo PC has a mod where you can fly a fucking pelican.

T4CT on
    edited January 2010
    i doubt it.

I only brought this up because Halo PC has a mod where you can fly a fucking pelican.

It even has firefight mode now!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22j2i0RByLk

(I only know about this because I happened to be the one who created the map that shows in the video, and in a search a couple months back I stumbled across this youtube)

xzzy on
    edited January 2010
    i doubt it.

Halo 2 does, too.

It flies exactly like the hornet.

FyreWulff on
    edited January 2010
    But Halo 2 is nigh impossible to find and costs far more money than buying a cd key for PC does

I literally cannot find a retail copy of Halo 2 PC

T4CT on
    edited January 2010
    No, I meant Halo 2 Xbox.

There are no mods for Halo 2 PC. All you can do with it is make multiplayer maps.

FyreWulff on
    edited January 2010
    Oh

well that's boring. I hesitate to mod my Xbox games at all. I do have a copy of that, though.

It makes me sad that developers/publishers haven't found a way to make a product key that's transferable through different systems. I wish I could have Halo 2 on Xbox and then have a PC copy ready to go simply because I have the game for another system.

Business-wise this is unfeasible but I can dream.

T4CT on
  • LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Rarg. People quitting out of Halo Wars is starting to irritate.

Been playing around with the arbiter, though I've been told he's not much cop. Rips through ariel vehicles, and the Scarab rush works just the same mind.

Leitner on
  • SnowblindvictimSnowblindvictim Flying casual Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Man I remember those HMT Halo days.
    Someone converted part of AoTC into a Multiplayer map with one pelican for each base.

CTF matches were epic, banshees shooting down Pelicans and passengers shooting banshees down

Good times

Snowblindvictim on
  • Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Dear Reach
    Be good and er.... stuff
    That is all
    -Dox

Dox the PI on
    edited January 2010
    Slipspace and the Firefight score thingy should be back up now.

FyreWulff on
  • 043043 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    043 wrote: »
    I'm reading the newest Halo book (and really like a lot of the stories I've read so far), but The Mona Lisa was really good, but kind of depressing overall.
    It's about the crew of the UNSC Red Horse traveling to the wreckage of Installation 04 to recover the derelict UNSC Mona Lisa, a ship sent by ONI S3 to experiment on Elites and humans (prisoners) using Flood samples.

The Flood break out, and completely infect the ship. The Marines sent in find a prisoner who's befriended a captured Elite he calls "Henry", who fights off the Flood with a cricket bat. I'm not going to spoil the rest of the story here, but it turned out really good, and unless it's topped by something in the second half, is my favorite in the book.

Wort wort wort, indeed.

Eric Nylund's story is the only good story in the book.

Okay.

Reposting myself from pages back to say that Nylund's fucking history book about Cole is, so far, the most uninteresting and hard to not fall asleep to story in "Evolutions".

Two-SPARTAN Fireteams and Flood breakouts on prison ships are way cooler than "Listen to the shit this guy lucked into, becoming one of the war's greatest heroes."

I'm sure it ends well, but shit, is the first half boring.
    I want them to give Nylund more gaps in the universe to tell solid, action-based stories in. Cole Protocol and now Evolutions are both disappointing as hell when compared to FoR or Contact Harvest. Since we'll never find out otherwise, tell us what happened to the SPARTAN-IIs in the Shield World, at least.

I get the feeling that, like Buckell's writing in Cole Protocol, Greg Bear will write a dry ass series about the Forerunner because he isn't part of Microsoft like Nylund was (in writing for Epic, etc.) or Staten is.

043 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Hey Fyre. Can you put up those avs you had for a bit. I saved it to a laptop that's one in for repairs.

Leitner on
  • Destiny's DesireDestiny's Desire __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm reading the newest Halo book (and really like a lot of the stories I've read so far), but The Mona Lisa was really good, but kind of depressing overall.
    It's about the crew of the UNSC Red Horse traveling to the wreckage of Installation 04 to recover the derelict UNSC Mona Lisa, a ship sent by ONI S3 to experiment on Elites and humans (prisoners) using Flood samples.

The Flood break out, and completely infect the ship. The Marines sent in find a prisoner who's befriended a captured Elite he calls "Henry", who fights off the Flood with a cricket bat. I'm not going to spoil the rest of the story here, but it turned out really good, and unless it's topped by something in the second half, is my favorite in the book.

Wort wort wort, indeed.

Eric Nylund's story is the only good story in the book.

Okay.

Reposting myself from pages back to say that Nylund's fucking history book about Cole is, so far, the most uninteresting and hard to not fall asleep to story in "Evolutions".

Two-SPARTAN Fireteams and Flood breakouts on prison ships are way cooler than "Listen to the shit this guy lucked into, becoming one of the war's greatest heroes."

I'm sure it ends well, but shit, is the first half boring.
    I want them to give Nylund more gaps in the universe to tell solid, action-based stories in. Cole Protocol and now Evolutions are both disappointing as hell when compared to FoR or Contact Harvest. Since we'll never find out otherwise, tell us what happened to the SPARTAN-IIs in the Shield World, at least.

I get the feeling that, like Buckell's writing in Cole Protocol, Greg Bear will write a dry ass series about the Forerunner because he isn't part of Microsoft like Nylund was (in writing for Epic, etc.) or Staten is.

I'm sorry you prefer terribly written stories that try to have a 'Cool, casual' narrative by removing words from sentences and adding apostrophes at the end of everything, instead of ballin' space battles revolving around the UNSCs greatest hero.

May I interest you in 'The Flood' by U.S. science fiction author 'William C Dietz'?

Halo_The_Flood_by_William_C_Dietz_novel_cover.jpg

Destiny's Desire on
    edited January 2010
    We need to start an internet petition to have Bungie make changes to proximity chat in Reach.

a) Proximity chat for all people in a vehicle that is as loud as team chat
    b) Proximity chat when on foot that you can actually hear

I'm sure there's going to be all kinds of 'JESUS FUCK BUNGIE WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU' e-rage if it happens, but I really hope they leave push to talk in. If they make proximity chat actually useful, I could see preferring using that over team chat.

I just hope they don't cave in to the masses and give the game all team talk, all the time.

xzzy on
    edited January 2010
    Okay, I just got back the form I need to fill out for Bungie Favorites.

They have slots for 2 weeks of content, and each week has:

- 3 screenshots
    - 5 films or film clips
    - 5 gametypes
    - 5 maps

Start recommendin' to gt "FyreWulff Rex", or post here, or email, or PM, or whatever. Files MUST BE in a file share, so please keep a file on your file share for the forseeable future.

edit - Respect Knuckles is definitely already a lock, and perhaps Ohtsams Minotaur and Kor's Minotaur map?

edit2 - it also doesn't have to be one of your files, you can pick anything from bungie.net

FyreWulff on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Fyre I will be on tonight. And tonight I will renew my Bungie Pro so I can put a bunch of files on my fileshare.

Just sayin'.

DarkPrimus on
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Okay, I just got back the form I need to fill out for Bungie Favorites.

They have slots for 2 weeks of content, and each week has:

- 3 screenshots
    - 5 films or film clips
    - 5 gametypes
    - 5 maps

Start recommendin' to gt "FyreWulff Rex", or post here, or email, or PM, or whatever. Files MUST BE in a file share, so please keep a file on your file share for the forseeable future.

edit - Respect Knuckles is definitely already a lock, and perhaps Ohtsams Minotaur and Kor's Minotaur map?

edit2 - it also doesn't have to be one of your files, you can pick anything from bungie.net

Welp, there's the one where the ODST doesn't want to get left behind, and the one I always mention where I'm totally fucking awesome.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
This discussion has been closed.