As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Deus Ex: contains unmarked spoilers

• Space PickleSpace Pickle Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Lebedev dies unless you tranq him and carry him around with you. Otherwise, UNATCO will execute him even if you ice Navarre.

Does this do anything?

Space Pickle on
  • MottMott Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Love this game, high time I played it again :3

Mott on
    allguys.gif
    Pirate Baby's Cabana Street Fight
  • SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    I tranquilized Lebedev.

Everyone acted as if I'd killed him. That was amusing.
    Maybe he was allergic

:tinfoil:

SithDrummer on
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    System Shock 2 is more better

There I said it

A Ninja Turtle carrying a Dragon's Tooth sword could totally defeat a Jedi carrying a Crystal Shard. [/nerd]

emnmnme on
  • TiamatZTiamatZ Ghost puns The Banette of my existenceRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Just a question regarding Walton Simons story wise (spoiler just in case nobody finished the game):
    What was the deal between him and Page? When you enter Area 51, it looked like Page was about to rule the world single-handedly, so what would Walton ever get from this scheme? Was he just another pawn Page used for his own plans? Or did Walton truly believed he would get the other half of the 'World Domination' pie after Page took over? I mean Page really didn't strike me out as the sharing kind of guy...

TiamatZ on
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I don't remember that ever fully being explained, but I missed a lot of lore towards the end of the game because i stopped fully exploring everything and just wanted to finish the main story.

also, there is nowhere near enough chat going on in this thread. is everyone just playing deus ex

Dhalphir on
    edited January 2010
    TiamatZ wrote: »
    Just a question regarding Walton Simons story wise (spoiler just in case nobody finished the game):
    What was the deal between him and Page? When you enter Area 51, it looked like Page was about to rule the world single-handedly, so what would Walton ever get from this scheme? Was he just another pawn Page used for his own plans? Or did Walton truly believed he would get the other half of the 'World Domination' pie after Page took over? I mean Page really didn't strike me out as the sharing kind of guy...
    Always two there are, a master and an apprentice.

SithDrummer on
  • StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    TiamatZ wrote: »
    Always two there are, a master and an apprentice.

"Am I behind a desk right now? No, I'm not. I got to my position because I can fix things."
    Bad guy always needs a go-to guy, or The Dragon if you want to kill a day at TV Tropes. Page needs Simons because the man's not afraid to get his hands dirty and Page can't be everywhere. Simons' angle is trickier; he might just be after a piece of the pie, or believe in what MJ12 is doing, although given his personality neither seems like it would really motivate him. In fact, about the only thing he seems to value is getting shit done.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
    edited January 2010
    Simons:
    It seems pretty obvious that he is driven by ambition, but without the desire to actually oversee things. Simons is clearly someone who enjoys doing things himself, a luxury that he wouldn't get much of if he was actually the man governing the world. I think he would be content to sit at the top of FEMA and continue to oversee the bioaugmentation project, both of which will likely be further expanded and empowered under Page's rule, while also having his secret MJ-12 organization to play with on the weekend.

SithDrummer on
  • VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Rucio wrote: »
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Dr Snofeld wrote: »
    Yesterday I dealt with the Levedev situation by planting a LAM on the door leading to his bedroom.

Ahahaha fuck you Anna Navarre.

Does this really work? Because that drove me nuts.

I'm at Hell's Kitchen again now, and the infamous 'what a shame' scene.

He never said it. :(

There's so many possible ways to make this hilarious. I might try and record one.

Yes it works. Alex is all like "WTF JC I NO SHE WUS OUT OF LINE BUT YOU KLLD HR!!!" It's really funny.

That was my solution this playthrough.

I just sniper rifled her head. No more Anna. She runs in after you talk to Lebedev for the first time, and then after she tells you to kill him, she just stands there. She never accused me of disobeying orders unless I engaged Lebedev in conversation again. If you do that, then yeah, she caps him right away and there's no way you'd be able to save him. Does she run in guns blazing on higher difficulties or something?

I kinda felt like a dick for murdering her "prematurely" before she got really insistent, but it was the only way I could see to get the path I'm going for.

I was wondering what would happen if I knocked her unconscious and disobeyed the order, but I couldn't manage it. Tried a ton of times.

I'm beginning to see the insane multitude of branching paths this game is going to have... Lots of save files to go back to, to see as much as I sanely can.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited January 2010
    I think the most logical option is to shoot Lebedev. If you don't, Navarre will (this isn't meta info, it would be pretty obvious to JC) and killing Navarre borders on the psychotically stupid because UNATCO will kill him anyway and you're risking everything for a chance to buy Lebedev another 20 minutes of life. He can't escape, he's completely surrounded. It's over for Lebedev. Even if you believe that he's innocent and UNATCO are wrong (which is true, obviously) you're in a position where you're best served by them trusting you. The best way to accomplish this is to put a bullet through the head of Lebedev, who is a dead man walking either way..

Tube on
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    It's almost impossible to take down Anna when she goes to shoot to Lebedev. A big part of this is that even if you drop her (she is damn tough) she has a damn self-destruct and tends to kill Lebedev. Through the magic of save/reload I think I managed it once. It seems damn weird talking to Lebedev afterwards though with all the big scorch mark and chunks of flesh all over his bedroom.

electricitylikesme on
    edited January 2010
    The first time I did it I took her out, but I have no idea how. It's almost impossible to do so legitimately. You've got to admit that it takes a special kind of hardass to, on being attacked by another agent, still have the foresight to put a bullet in the hostage before responding.

Tube on
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    It's easier to nail her in Realistic. Less hp.

august on
    edited January 2010
    She still splodes though

Tube on
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Just make another plane out of LAMs.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
    edited January 2010
    LAM mining is kind of cheesy because it uses previous knowledge of the game. In plot terms it makes no sense "oh yeah I just thought I'd mine that door for no real reason and I accidentally killed a fellow agent. uh, whups"

Tube on
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The LAM trick works really well, really consistently

Edit: yeah, agreed, but it does work.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
    edited January 2010
    I want to do a LAM only playthrough.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    any kind of playthrough you can possibly think of related to limiting items is entirely possible in DX. There is not a single one thats impossible, because its proven to be possible to do the game with no items at all start to finish.

Dhalphir on
  • ItalaxItalax Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    No leg or arm playthrough.

The adventures of JC Denton, world's deadliest torso.

Italax on
    PSN: Italax - Steam ID : Italax
    Sometimes I Stream Games: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/italax-plays-video-games
    edited January 2010
    Italax wrote: »
    No leg or arm playthrough.

The adventures of JC Denton, world's deadliest torso.

This made me laugh. A lot.

Dhalphir on
    edited January 2010
    any kind of playthrough you can possibly think of related to limiting items is entirely possible in DX. There is not a single one thats impossible, because its proven to be possible to do the game with no items at all start to finish.

No augs, no skills, no items.

Basically just one average UNATCO soldier saving the world.

electricitylikesme on
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

How do you get out of UNTCO after being captured? Or are weapons allowed?

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
    edited January 2010
    Goumindong wrote: »

I don't think you have to kill anyone to do that.

electricitylikesme on
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

The door is locked until Anna Dies. Oh but wait you can killword her...

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
    edited January 2010

Been done.

Dhalphir on
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010

The door is locked until Anna Dies. Oh but wait you can killword her...

Someone posted a video earlier where you throw a grenade and Anna reacts by opening the door to flee, you can do it without killing her, though I doubt it affects the story.

DarkWarrior on
    edited January 2010
    I think Gunther mentions it at the church, but it's just one line and all the others are the same.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • KarlKarl Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    There is one event in the game that separates the men from the boys:
    MIB agents, supported by UNATCO are about to breach Paul's apartment. He tells you to jump out the back window. What do you do?

I left through the front door guns blazing like the boss i am

Karl on
    edited January 2010
    real men place lams and gas grenades all over the building before entering the apartment

Dhalphir on
    edited January 2010
    I killed everyone and THEN went out the window.

Tube on
    edited January 2010
    I think if you go out the window even if you saved Paul, he registers as dead.

Dhalphir on
  • FugaFuga Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I didn't even know you could save Paul. how much does it change the story?

Fuga on
    edited January 2010
    it changes it in the sense that paul isn't dead any more

pretty much nothing you do in the game has a significant effect on the story

Tube on
  • TiamatZTiamatZ Ghost puns The Banette of my existenceRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Fuga wrote: »
    I didn't even know you could save Paul. how much does it change the story?

Basically... (spoilered for those not finished with the game)
    He can be found back in the Luminous Compound/Tracer Tong Laboratory (where you meet Tracer Tong the 1st time) right after you destroyed the UC under Versalife and before you leave for New York again.

He also makes an appearance in Area 51 (3rd level of the facility? Can't really remember) as a holo simulation telling you about Helios and stuff (this basically replaces Savage, who would be telling you the stuff if Paul was dead).

Edit: Ninja'd by Carboard

TiamatZ on
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I didn't even know you could save Paul.

I'm going to have to ask you to hand in your badge.

august on
  • Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I think if you go out the window even if you saved Paul, he registers as dead.

Supposedly Shifter changes this. But I usually die trying to clear out the hotel. But Paul still lives if that happens.

In the vanilla version he dies if you leave via the window and lives if you take the door. Even sprinting past the ambush with camo on will let him survive.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • XyyzXyyz Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm fairly sure Paul is actually invincible as long as you don't leave, and that if you hide long enough, he'll kill pretty much everything in the building for you.

Xyyz on
  • FugaFuga Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    august wrote: »
    I didn't even know you could save Paul.

I'm going to have to ask you to hand in your badge.

I killed all of the enemies who entered the apartment, left through the window and he still died!

Fuga on
This discussion has been closed.