As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Deus Ex: contains unmarked spoilers

1575859606163»

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Winky wrote: »
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Man, upon further reflection, the first few bits of Deus Ex are kind of lame

It's basically the same few maps over and over again for a good long while: Libery Island, then UNATCO HQ, then Battery Park, then Hell's Kitchen, then UNATCO HQ again, then Battery Park again, Hell's Kitchen again, and then the MJ12 facility followed by UNATCO HQ again

And then, after Hong Kong? HELL'S KITCHEN AGAIN

I can see why I stopped playing this game the first time I tried it

Fortunately Hong Kong and Paris are way awesome

I actually liked how they had you revisit areas, and each time you ran into new things that you hadn't experienced before. It made the game feel more like it was taking place in a real world, instead of on level after level that you progressed linearly. Instead you visited areas and revisited them as new things developed in each place.

Oh I totally understand the design philosophy behind using those same levels numerous times, especially seeing how things change and all

Plus it probably helped the level designers, since they could concentrate on those levels better and give more time to each of them and make them bigger and better and more elaborate in where you could explore and stuff

But it was the year 2000 and the technology simply was not there to create levels that felt like places with living breathing people and not like game levels, so it's really easy for me to look at it and realize that they probably reused these levels not for a narrative reason but because they already had the assets in place

It was probably more impressive back in the day when it first came out but I first played Deus Ex a couple years ago and I loved it but man, I rarely felt like I was in an actual place, you know what I'm sayin'

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Except in Hong Kong

Hong Kong is the best

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Except in Hong Kong

Hong Kong is the best

I know man, sampan rides for only five credits. Best deal in the game.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    KlorgnumKlorgnum Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    lu tze wrote: »
    Man, upon further reflection, the first few bits of Deus Ex are kind of lame

It's basically the same few maps over and over again for a good long while: Libery Island, then UNATCO HQ, then Battery Park, then Hell's Kitchen, then UNATCO HQ again, then Battery Park again, Hell's Kitchen again, and then the MJ12 facility followed by UNATCO HQ again
    Psst.
    If you only did the MJ12 facility once, you need to look again.
    What's there if you go back? I don't remember finding anything interesting.

Klorgnum on
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I've been playing Invisible War for the first time the last few days, and it's actually pretty fun. Not as good as the first, but I don't see why everyone throws up in the their mouth every time it's mentioned.

Darlan on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    If it was just called Invisible War and mentioned nothing about Deus Ex it would be a pretty great game. But as it is, the fact that it was hyped as Deus Ex 2 and fell SO far short of being even as good as the first one, let alone better, like a sequel should be, meant that all most people can feel when they play it is.. "This should have been so much better"

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So, I'm at (spoiler'd just in case):
    The lower levels of the tanker in NY Harbor.

Just wondering how much more I have left.

Nightslyr on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    A lot.
    IIRC, you still have to go back to the graveyard, then to Paris, then down to the Catacombs, then back up to Paris again, then my memory gets fuzzy but you still have vandenberg, the sub base, the ocean lab, and area 51.
    Your first time through probably at least another 30-40 hours of gameplay

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Just taz'ed Louis Pan.

Little punk had it coming.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm a little iffy on all those 3rd person stealth kills from the HR footage.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Anyone here live near montreal?
    http://deusex.com/blog/gamers-wanted-for-playtest

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Even if I lived nearby, I wouldn't want to ruin a game I'm really looking forward to it by doing mountainous playtesting for it.

august on
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Just taz'ed Louis Pan.

Little punk had it coming.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mlu5C0PT4kQ

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm a little iffy on all those 3rd person stealth kills from the HR footage.

Finally being at the point where I'm playing all the way through the first game, I don't mind the idea. It doesn't clash too much with how the stealth game play works. I mean, when I sneak up on some guy with the dragon's tooth, I'm definitely imagining that I'm doing some bad ass stealth kill instead of just one swipe and he's dead.

Winky on
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Shacknews says DX:HR is getting a prequel novel in February 2011. James Swallow is writing it. Can't say I'm familiar with the guy's work.

EDIT: New thread.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.