As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Xbox online repair service

SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
edited January 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
How exactly does this work? I've got a boned 360 here and I'm going through the online repair service but there's very little in the way of "Here's how this service works". I've registered my xbox's serial number and clicked 'Request a New Repair' and then filled in the short form explaining how it is broke but then the next page starts asking me for credit card details and like woah there maybe you could give me even a hint of what you're going to do with them Microsoft?

It is not exactly forthcoming with information and I'd just like to know what the process involved here is. Fundamentally, I'd like to know how much it's actually going to cost to repair my xbox - even an estimate - so I can decide whether it'll be worth the hassle or if I should just list it on ebay as spares/repairs. How far down the Mystery Online Repair Service Rabbit Hole do I have to go before they feel comfortable divulging that information to me?

Szechuanosaurus on

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    When I RRoD'd, I couldn't get the online thing to work so I had to call. From what I remember, they had me go through the basic troubleshooting steps (is it plugged in, is the power light green, etc), then once they determined the problem, he basically got my email address and emailed me instructions, including a UPS label to print out and attach to a box. I had to provide my own box, but all I had to do was pack it, put on the label, and then drop it off. For me, I may have been transferred once, but it was pretty quick and painless. Quite unlike when I tried getting the licenses transferred after I got it back.

But yeah, try calling. They can probably give you price estimates, too.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    JHunzJHunz Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm not certain whether the repair price varies depending on the symptoms/problem, but the number I've heard from people for out-of-warranty repairs is roughly $120.

JHunz on
    bunny.gif Gamertag: JHunz. R.I.P. Mygamercard.net bunny.gif
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    It's always best to call. You have to wait on hold, but it's much easier talking to a person. The online service was utter shit when I tried to get mine repaired after it red ringed. I entered my serial, it accepted it, but then decided it wasn't going to let me proceed any further and asked for the serial. So I re-entered it, and it said it was already registered.

1-800-4MY-XBOX is your friend.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png