As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dell Inspiron 5100 won't stop beeping

cctex823cctex823 Registered User regular
When I power on the laptop now, it continuously beeps through POST and Windows boot and stops when it automatically logs in. It's a loud system beep with no pauses, or long beeps. When I go into the BIOS setup, the beeping remains but is at a higher pitch. The laptop is 7-8 years old and is still at factory condition, no new/replacement hardware. I've recently installed CCCleaner, AVG, MalwareBytes, and Spybot because of an infection. It ran a few days with the software installed, then after one of the many reboots, it started. Thanks.

datnguyensig1.jpg
cctex823 on

• Options
    BeazleBeazle Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Take out the hard drive and see if it beeps during post. I had a laptop hard drive make a system beep sound. Check for stuck keys on the keyboard.

Beazle on
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Copied from elsewhere:
    Not the video card at all. The Inspiron 5100 has its own bios specifically made for that laptop. The code in question point to a fault in the memory modules.

1 Short beep - System is operating normally.
    1 Long beep - Memory refresh circuitry has failed which indicates a problem with the motherboard. Try reseating the memory DIMM or SIMM modules. Make sure if you have added memory that it is rated at the correct speed for the system.
    1 Long 2 Short beeps - The video adapter has failed, or the video memory is having a read/write failure. Try reseating the video card. If the video card is a PCI video card, try moving it to another slot.
    1 Long 3 Short beeps - The system does not detect a monitor. Verify that the monitor cable is properly attached to the video card or the onboard video and to the monitor (if the monitor has a detachable cable). If possible, try another monitor on the system to verify that the video adapter is operating properly.
    2 or 3 beeps - There is a problem with the system’s memory. Reseat the memory DIMM or SIMM modules.
    4 beeps - This indicates a non-functional timer. This indicates a problem with the motherboard.
    5 beeps - This indicates a CPU (Central Processing Unit or processor) failure. Try reseating the processor.
    6 beeps - This indicates a keyboard controller failure. Try reseating the keyboard connector.
    7 beeps - Another indication of a processor problem. Reseat the processor.
    8 beeps - This indicates a video memory read/write failure. Reseat the video card (if any) and memory DIMM or SIMM modules.
    9 or 10 beeps - This indicates a ROM (Read-Only Memory) checksum error or shutdown register failure. This indicates a defective BIOS chip(s). Reseat the BIOS chips.
    11 beeps - Indicates an error in the cache memory. If the system has a Pentium class processor, reseat the processor. If the system has a cache memory module, try reseating it. These beep codes will vary depending on the system.

I hope it helps.

GONG-00 on
    Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    In addition to the incessant beeping, I receive the following the error after POST, before Windows begins to load:

TRAP 00000006 exception

TR=0028 cr0=0000000011, cr2=00000000, cr3=000000000 GDT limit=03ff base=00017000 idt limit=07ff base=00017400 CS:eip=0008:08000000 ss:esp=0010:00061fec errcode=0000 flags=000100012 nocy nozr intdis down trapdis eax=0000110c ebx0003001d5 ecx=00001660 cdx=534d0030 ds-0010 es=0010 edi=00350000 exi=00051db6 ebp=00061ff0 cr0=00000011 fs=0030 gs=0000

I've tried booting without the AC adapter, with AC adapter, no battery. Tried reseating the RAM, moving the RAM to another slot. Also removed the HDD. I cannot even boot to a CD. All result in the same error with beeps. I can get to the BIOS without beeping, but as soon as it gets beyond that, the beeping returns. On occasion I can boot to Windows without beeps or errors. But that is less becoming the norm.

cctex823 on
    datnguyensig1.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Beazle on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Beazle wrote: »

That did it! I should have read the rest of your original post. I started it twice without a keyboard and no issues. A reboot with the reattached kb, beeping returned. I exercised the keys to see if any were stuck, but no luck. Thanks.

cctex823 on
    datnguyensig1.jpg
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    If you're certain it's the keyboard, they seem reasonably cheap.

You could try giving it a hand wash with some soap. Then leave it dry for at least a few days. Hairs like to collect under keyboards and I'm not really sure how they're removable.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    You can get a keyboard for under $10 on ebay.

Beazle on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I'm 99% sure it's the keyboard, it is fairly old. I tried washing it a little then blowing any leftover particles away. Still no-go. Already got one on order from eBay. $15 total. easy fix, thanks again

cctex823 on
    datnguyensig1.jpg