As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Be an Enforcer for PAX East!

2»

• 'T''T' King in the North BostonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Liger wrote: »
    Keep in mind when you apply that your application is processed by a genuine meat human, and not a machine. While said meat human is usually very punctual about sending out emails, she does need to step away from the computer occasionally to maintain her sanity and stay outside the grasp of the evil Computron.

Sorry, I just got a little anxious is all. I just couldn't believe I got accepted. All is good now. ^^;

'T' on
    15e5VyH.png
  • PRDPRD Kristin Lindsay I am a meat popsicle.Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Keep in mind when you apply that your application is processed by a genuine meat human, and not a machine. While said meat human is usually very punctual about sending out emails, she does need to step away from the computer occasionally to maintain her sanity and stay outside the grasp of the evil Computron.

<3

PRD on
  • dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    <3
    <3!

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • Z3r0TZ3r0T Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Are there enforcer positions where I could just walk around everywhere in the convention making sure everyone is behaving themselves? Break up fights (my friend last year almost got in one)? Something similar? I looked at the list and couldn't tell if this was an option on there.

Z3r0T on
  • RdrRdr Rider Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Z3r0T wrote: »
    Are there enforcer positions where I could just walk around everywhere in the convention making sure everyone is behaving themselves? Break up fights (my friend last year almost got in one)? Something similar? I looked at the list and couldn't tell if this was an option on there.

Ya there are positions like that but its run by a very small team which I believe is invite only.

Rdr on
    edited February 2010
    Rdr wrote: »

Ya there are positions like that but its run by a very small team which I believe is invite only.

Ok, thanks.

Z3r0T on
  • mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    We don't want to mischaracterize Enforcing. The vast majority of attendees are extremely well-behaved. Most of what we do that in any way resembles what you're talking about is politely reminding attendees to keep walkways clear, keep fire exit doors clear, that sort of thing.

Without going into detail on our actual incident response plans, which I am not authorized to discuss in public: This is totally unofficial but to me "Enforcer" evokes images of rough, brutish thugs only ironically. We are nice people and we want to help you enjoy yourself at PAX. If you apply to Enforce expecting bouncer experience or martial arts skills to be relevant and to be constantly useful, you will be disappointed.

Then again if something entirely unexpected happens for the first time in YEARS then you get to say you told us so.

Also not every position is necessarily nailed down to an area -- but I'd better defer to an Enforcer who has worked one of those more open areas.

mspencer on
    MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
    edited February 2010
    I sent in an application. Hope I get accepted!

Z3r0T on
  • LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Penny Arcade Expo isn't really a place that instills the fighting nature in people, fortunately. Convention center security will take care of physical confrontations. As an Enforcer you should never, ever find yourself in a situation requiring physical force. We are peaceful peacekeepers, line straighteners, problem solvers and friendly faces.

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
    edited February 2010
    You know, I missed the part where he said his friend last year almost got in one. Can you elaborate? Was it actually in the convention center, or out in public nearby? What was the nature of the dispute?

mspencer on
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
    edited February 2010
    I don't remember everything that went down, cuz I was trying to pay attention to the raffle nearby. But an exchange in words and some name calling, after awhile, turned into physical threats. Luckily, they didn't break out into a fight, but tensions were high. This happened inside the convention near, I think it was around the Patriot thing. I was right there almost inbetween them, and I think an enforcer was either still standing nearby, or had just walked by at some point.

Z3r0T on
    edited February 2010
    So, I know I'll obviously get an acceptance letter if my application is accepted, but I sent it in almost a day ago and havn't received a reply. So I'm wondering if denied applications are replied to as well. And I used my own email and just copy/pasted the email from here, cuz I hate that email system thing that pops up when I click the email link. So I'm mostly sure I sent to the right address :/.

Z3r0T on
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So, I know I'll obviously get an acceptance letter if my application is accepted, but I sent it in almost a day ago and havn't received a reply. So I'm wondering if denied applications are replied to as well. And I used my own email and just copy/pasted the email from here, cuz I hate that email system thing that pops up when I click the email link. So I'm mostly sure I sent to the right address :/.

Give it some time. Depending on PRD's workload it might take a few days.
    Its not instant :P

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
    edited February 2010
    I wouldn't expect it this quick for anything else, it's just I saw others were getting responses literally two hours later.

Z3r0T on
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I wouldn't expect it this quick for anything else, it's just I saw others were getting responses literally two hours later.

Depends on what her workload is like @ PA. Just give it some time.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • orangeyorangey Registered User new member
    edited February 2010

I had to wait around 5 days for mine. I think it's all in the timing. The other people probably e-mailed PRD when she happened to be reading applications.

orangey on
  • SingolloSingollo Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Ya PRD is a pretty busy lady (My email does not Lie) So ya give it time. It took a few days for me i applied on like a Thursday or something like that and didn't have a response till like Tuesday give or take a few days.

Singollo on
  • Royale Wih CheeseRoyale Wih Cheese Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Sent my application in a couple of days ago :-) I'm sure, a month out, everyone's pretty gol darned busy with preps, hopefully they still need people!

Royale Wih Cheese on
  • JonStinchcombJonStinchcomb Registered User new member
    edited February 2010
    I sent my application then realized I forgot to answer a question. Should I resend the whole thing or just the response to the specific question?

[UPDATE]

I've gotten a response and was happy to hear that I've been accepted! Thanks for the help, by the way.

JonStinchcomb on
    edited February 2010
    Not trying to put words in PRD's mouth, but in my experience PRD isn't that formal. If it were me, I'd do both: send the updated document, and in the body of the email state you forgot a section, list the forgotten section and its answer, and apologize.

mspencer on
  • ShervynShervyn Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Penny Arcade Expo isn't really a place that instills the fighting nature in people, fortunately. Convention center security will take care of physical confrontations. As an Enforcer you should never, ever find yourself in a situation requiring physical force. We are peaceful peacekeepers, line straighteners, problem solvers and friendly faces.

Yeah...we are more like Care Bears than Grizzly Bears.

Shervyn on
    A man who could afford $50 had a pair of boots that'd still be keeping his feet dry in 10 yrs' time, while a poor man who could only afford cheap boots would have spent a $100 on boots in the same time and would still have wet feet. -Vimes
    edited February 2010
    My application was denied. :/

Z3r0T on
  • IzzieIzzie It's The Avatar BostonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Sent mine in tonight. It's kinda late, but who knows!
    @ z3r0t : don't fret, there's always next year. and think of the bright side, you'll already have an idea of the convention!

PS. To people who are new to being volunteers at a convention: it's ridiculously fun. I"ve done security for a medium sized anime con for years, worked my way up to manager and never regretted a moment. There are stressful moments, of course, and a handful of bad apples, but you've always got your fellow volunteers to back you up if you can't handle a situation (something that's important..if you feel like you can't deal, then it's OK to step away and ask for help).
    The attendees have always been amazing, and many times have gone out of their way to help me carry large items or shuffle lines.
    The experience is beyond worthwhile.

Izzie on
    http://izziebytes.net // http://twitter.com/izziebot // G+
    Terrorizing the Gaming Universe one post at a time...
  • PrincePrince Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Yep... now my turn. Totally last min submission to be an Enforcer. Chances are slim... I know... but worth a shot. I'd love to work for this event!!!

And on that note... I hope I find out kind of soon, so I could have time to either bid for a ticket (Need tick/Have tick) --- or at least get a ticket (or two) from what's left of the limited Pre-Reg supply.
    Crosses fingers that this is email checking day for Enforcer Apps! LOL

Prince on
    "This is my first fight since my last fight." - Mike Tyson
    edited February 2010
    OMG!!

Just got my reply, I was accepted! Awesome! Can't wait to be there, and see you all while I'm there! Looking foward to it!

Prince on
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Whoooo got my application accepted last night! Booked flights this morning!

Super psyched!

3cl1ps3 on
  • LlanowarLlanowar Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Got my acceptance and awaiting response on my picture to move to the next stage. Looking forward to meeting everyone.

"I don't want to be the enforcer. I want to be spaghetti."

Llanowar on
    enforceruserbareast.png

"One bone broken for every twig snapped underfoot"
    -Llanowar punishment for trespassing.
  • DondumsDondums Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Got accepted this morning. :)
    Second-time PAX goer (2007), looking forward to it :)

Dondums on
    internet
    edited February 2010
    Congratz everyone... make sure you check in as requested (you'll know what I mean) or else you're not official. LOL

Prince on
  • heelsheels Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Recruiting for PAX East is now closed, thanks for all the applications guys!

heels on
    < devious1> heels: you are worst idea person ever

http://twitter.com/h_e_e_l_s

www.reedpop.com
  • dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The perfect team for ensuring your PAXjoyment has been assembled. We look forward to serving you all in 25 days!

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
This discussion has been closed.