As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The 2010 Resolution Thread or D+D Goes to the Gym

RobmanRobman Registered User regular
edited March 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
I'm throwing this out here because of the success I saw of a similar undertaking at TotalFark (fuck off haters) where a bunch of us set a six pack in six months goal. We'd post our starting guts and every week would post our progress, and chide each other's failings to adhere to the master race workout plan and diet.

It's been shown time and time and time again that the most rudimentary of group conditions will massively help people adhere to life changing goals, from quitting smoking, to AA, to getting healthy.

So, who wants to live to 60? Post your progress as often as you need to, be it daily/weekly/monthly or whatever. Let's get some good before and after pictures.
erik_chopin.jpg
The biggest loser is you, for watching this show. And by show I mean this filthy mess that a dog just projectile shat all over your TV screen, leaving corn and pig nipples slowly sliding down. Fuck, now I'm hungry.

Ground rules.
1. You are not Arnold fucking Shwartzawhatever, don't come in here and act like tough shit because you're fitter then someone else. The fat dude at the gym is a hundred times more committed to fitness then you, because he's willing to tolerate judgmental assholes like yourself.
2. Change is slow. If people give you good advice, don't be a cock because you didn't gain 20 lbs of muscle and lose 60 lbs of fat in a month.
3. See a fucking doctor before you go to the gym. Don't be that cockwaddling retard who has a heart attack at 25 because he thought high blood pressure was an old person problem and blew his heart out pushing a big stack of iron.
4. There is no such thing as valid professional advice over the internet. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS VALID PROFESSIONAL ADVICE OVER THE INTERNET. There are no internet doctors or personal trainers. Skip buying Mass Effect: Fortress 7 and buy a few sessions if you're a scrub.

THE STANDINGS (PM ME IF YOU WANT IN)
Robman: Fitness
Target: 175
Start: 220
Current: 201

Organichu: Fitness
Start weight: 302 lbs
Current weight: 202
Current mile time: 6:38
Goal weight: 185
Goal mile time: 6:00

Matt_S: Fitness
Current weight: 182
Goal weight: 165
Current run time per mile: 9:00
Goal run time per mile: 6:30

Inquisitor: Fitness
Current Weight: 178
Goal Weight: TBD

Kyougo: Fitness
Starting weight:260 lbs
Current Weight: 184 lbs
Goal Weight: 170 lbs

Leitner: Fitness
Start Weight: 190
Goal Weight: 215

Forar: Fitness
Starting weight: 285
Current Weight: 273
Target Weight: 250

USEFUL RESOURCES
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/index.html
http://www.shapefit.com/training.html

FOR MEN. Body Fat % Illustrations. Subtract finish % from start %, multiply by body weight and there's your fat loss goal.
men-body-fat-high.jpg
men-body-fat-low.jpg

FOR WOMEN Body Fat % Illustrations. Subtract finish % from start %, multiply by body weight and there's your fat loss goal.
women-body-fat-high.jpg
women-body-fat-low.jpg

Warning.
There are a large number of companies that have business models designed to prey on people looking for a quick fix to fitness. There is no such thing as a weight loss pill. You'll blow out your kidneys, your liver, and your heart and you will die.

Robman on

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm out to boost my GPA. I lost a very nice military scholarship due to grades. I'm getting it back but shit. I'm never going through that again. I suppose I should work on my fitness test score too.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    DalbozDalboz Resident Puppy Eater Right behind you...Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    My problem is that I've been nursing a really bad back injury since my car accident two years ago. It makes it difficult to stand for more than 30 minutes, 45 minutes at the outside, let alone anything strenuous. You never realize how much you use your back for stuff until you injure it. So I need to focus more on my diet, I say as I eat a jumbo cookie.

Dalboz on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm aiming for a low excellent score on my next fitness test. I've never gotten one that high. Always low or medium good.

That is my goal.

I am going to crush that goal this year.

Quid on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    As the other resolution thread included, I am aiming to at least get to the university gym one of these days.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I actually go to the gym three to four times a week with the vague goal of getting in shape so I can play rugby again.

I need to actually get on the field. I want to be in the best shape possible for when practice for spring season starts (I could play winter ball though..) I just gotta do it I guess.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited January 2010
    I am starting back to the gym this week. My ladyfriend has lost like 40 lbs over the past year and is in fantastic shape while I am hovering around 170 lbs and am not thrilled about my gut.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I need to drop about 25 lbs to be cut again.

I can probably do it in 3 months, but getting back in the habit of working out is so hard.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    We're really in the wrong hemisphere. Who wants to do anything new when it's so damn cold outside?

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    psychotixpsychotix __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    I need to drop about 15 pounds and pick up some muscle. I quit working out and am back up to a 6 pack of beer a night, largely induced through working so damn much.

psychotix on
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I need to...

No, I want to drop about 75 pounds. I'm going to say in a year.

But I'd like to be down about 50lbs in time for PAXPrime.

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    KevdogKevdog Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    My doctor's been nagging me for a while now to start getting aerobic exercise, but I dislike going to the gym, so I started Couch to 5K last week instead.

I've also started bringing lunches to work instead of going down to the cafeteria every day. It's amazing how much cheaper it is to make lunches, in addition to being better for you. I'm also really bad at being a morning person, so one thing I found that helped was to make an entire loaf of bread's worth of sandwiches at a time. That way in the morning I can just grab one out of the fridge plus a couple of healthy snacks and go.

Kevdog on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I'll fess up, after the hardest semester of my life, I went from running 5k/day and working out 3x/week to two months of zero activity and lots of pizza. I went from a lean 6ft 180 lbs to a spare tire'd 220. I'm down to 210 through a retarded amount of skiing and healthy eating, and now that the weather has gone above 0 I'm out and running again.
    EggyToast wrote: »
    We're really in the wrong hemisphere. Who wants to do anything new when it's so damn cold outside?

Skiing hard will burn a thousand calories an hour, and winter is the best time to start running.

Seriously, you need to be in great shape to run in the summer, and you need to have trained your body to rapidly process water from stomach to sweat glands. Also, all the layers you go running in hide any cottage cheese from bouncing around on display.

A good rule for running in winter is the ten minute rule, if after ten minutes of running you're cold, go home. You'll still have run for 20 minutes, and you've given yourself time to warm up. You should feel coolish to cold when you step outside, but not freezing, and definitely not warm. Just like skiing or boarding, you want to feel cool on the chairlift so you don't sweat out when you're working hard.

Robman on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I had planned to launch a two-pronged offensive on my bulk: Swimming, weights and light jogging, and a 1,500 calorie diet.

Then on New Year's day, I pulled a muscle in my knee which hurts like a bitch. So I've been reduced to the diet and some upper body weights while the knee gets better.

The diet bit I think is working on one important front: I had gotten into a routine where I would eat at a certain time regardless of how hungry I was, and by limiting my input, I've broken that.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2010
    If you're going to be working out regularly via three separate methods, then there is no need to eat 1,500 calories per day. You could do with more than 1,500 calories now, as it is.

So if your knee recovers soon, keep that in mind.

Organichu on
  • Options
    DalbozDalboz Resident Puppy Eater Right behind you...Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    If anyone needs inspiration, just read the story of the Great Joe Rollino.

The moral of the story: You can restrict your diet, work out, be healthy as a horse and live past one hundred, but you'll still get hit by a truck and die.

Dalboz on
  • Options
    KastanjKastanj __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm going to go to the gym. I know little of committed exercise but I will have access to the machine floor and to the group sessions, so I will find something suitable.

I think exercise will help me with the deep mood fugues I have now and then.

Kastanj on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I desperately would like to improve my upper body strength and cardio fitness, entirely so I can have sex harder for longer.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    man, I'm almost at the point where I want to give up on getting my abs to pop. I can't seem to rid myself of this last thinnish bit of bodyfat that's over the top of them.

I feel like I might try and get my weight down to 190 or so and see what happens, but eh.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    My goal for the year is to complete Insanity and then P90X each at least once. I was finally well enough to start Insanity last night. I got exactly halfway through the Fit Test (about 20 minutes) before I had to throw in the towel. I'm so out of shape that I'll probably need to work my way up to being able to complete the Fit test. I estimate it'll take another week or two to get to that point. :oops:

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I am going to eat so much this year. Current target is alternating each day between 3500+ and maybe as much as 4500/5000. It's going to be difficult, but laxer dietary restrictions have made it a hell of a lot easier.

Leitner on
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I went to the gym on Sunday, I am going again today

I don't know what my goal is yet

I'm 6'2" (188cm) and weigh ~220lbs (100kg)

mostly I'd like to look trim in my work clothes and feel comfortable at the beach

I think I weighed 180ish in High School, so maybe my first goal is 200 then re-evaluate

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Kastanj wrote: »
    I'm going to go to the gym. I know little of committed exercise but I will have access to the machine floor and to the group sessions, so I will find something suitable.

I think exercise will help me with the deep mood fugues I have now and then.

Physical activity has been shown to have a strong antidepressant effect

Robman on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I desperately would like to improve my upper body strength and cardio fitness, entirely so I can have sex harder for longer.

Sex is all core strength actually ifyouknowwhatimean

Robman on
  • Options
    TheMarshalTheMarshal Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I did two sprint-distance triathlons last year. This year I'd like to do at least one Olympic-distance race, and at least three sprint-distance races. My fiance wants to do two sprint races with me, and the first one's gonna be in May. I've been working out with my fiance for the past two weeks, but we've mostly just been doing indoor routines with weights and stuff (the Spartacus workout, from Men's Health magazine). Once it gets a teensy bit warmer, I'll move us outside and start running again. We just had our bikes stolen, so we're gonna have to get those replaced before we can get back into that. I also want to find someplace where we can take swim lessons. I know how to swim, but I'm pathetically slow in the water (~24 minutes for 700 yards), so anything to improve my stroke.

TheMarshal on
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Irond Will wrote: »
    I am starting back to the gym this week. My ladyfriend has lost like 40 lbs over the past year and is in fantastic shape while I am hovering around 170 lbs and am not thrilled about my gut.

Aren't you tall like a freak?

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Dalboz wrote: »

The moral of the story: You can restrict your diet, work out, be healthy as a horse and live past one hundred, but you'll still get hit by a truck and die.

104 year old strong man, hard ass, longshoreman, WW-II vet getting killed by a mini-van. Theres some over arcing parable about America, just waiting to be turned into Oscar bait.

tinwhiskers on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010

104 year old strong man, hard ass, longshoreman, WW-II vet getting killed by a mini-van. Theres some over arcing parable about America, just waiting to be turned into Oscar bait.

In the movie, the van bounces off him and he says "I tire of this planet" and ascends to heaven.

Robman on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I return from day 2 at the gym

ach mine body

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010

Possibly. But everyone knows there's no escaping death. What stories like Joe Rollino illustrate to me, though, is how you spend your time going towards death.

I've known plenty of people who get to age 70 and have low mobility, tire easily, sleep a lot, and are retired and essentially just living because they haven't died. They don't do anything: they watch TV, eat some bland food, and go to sleep. The more adventurous ones read books.

People who look after their body through exercise and activity (and those who engage their brains regularly, too) are chipper and active throughout their older years. Rollino was likely capable of doing many things despite his advanced age, and it's stories like that that motivate me to continue to stay active, work out, stay at a healthy weight and engage in activities that can be life-long.

I'd rather be a Joe Rollino that's active, alert, and enjoying life (and die at 104) than someone who sits on a couch for the last 30 years of my life until congestive heart failure does me in.

This isn't a new years resolution of mine -- I started it in the summer of 09 when I started to train for a century bike ride. But I'm sticking with it, as I have my bike up on a trainer and my wife and I wake up in the morning and ride for about 30-40 minutes every day (we watch anime w/ subtitles, since the bikes are loud). I lost 20 lbs last fall and my plan this year is to keep it off and replace any lingering fat with muscle. I'm hardly "big," at 5'10" and 160lbs now, but even going from 178 to 160 people have noticed that I've lost weight.

So my 2010 is to be filled with more biking, more running, and likely more "official" events like 5 mile runs, century rides, etc. I also plan to finish my MBA and continue learning to play the double bass.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    edited January 2010

ach mine body

Stick with it

What's your routine?

Organichu on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Just before the end of the year end I ended up bursting through what had been my wall (190 lbs) and now I'm hovering around 180-185, down from 260 two years ago. My resolution since two years ago has always been to at least stay at a constant weight, and I done it, but this year I'm aiming to at least get down to 170.

It's going to be hard, since I just got moved to a new position with lots of overtime. So I'm not hitting the gym after work like I used to (and I'm at work at 6:30 am so no going before it) but I am forcing myself to go Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays. And I'm resisting just eating fast food, and instead cooking when I get home.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Not getting to the gym isn't as big a problem in losing fat as it is in gaining muscle. As long as you're getting in just enough weight lifting to mostly combat catabolism, you oughta be fine losing most of your weight via diet modifications

So if you feel like you're not up to both right now, mentally, with all the other crap in your life, focus on the diet

Organichu on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Robman wrote: »

Sex is all core strength actually ifyouknowwhatimean

Depends how you do it.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    freelancerbobfreelancerbob UKRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I should probably exercise more. I should definitely eat better and probably a bit less. I do walk a minimum of 20 minutes a day, rarely at any pace other than quite rapid. I suppose I should get some kind of routine going. I can jog for about 10-20 minutes before I want to, like, die, but I could totally walk all day without issue over pretty much any terrain. My cardiovascular could be a whole lot better, and my belly a whole lot smaller, and there's almost no muscle to speak of anywhere except my legs. I was looking to end this post on a highnote regarding fitness. I guess I will run home from the train tonight, that's like, 10 minutes. downhill.

On second thought, fuck that noise the ground is ICY as all hell, that would be suicide. Maybe I could do some sittups or something, I dunno.

freelancerbob on
    What is this thing that is happening here.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Organichu wrote: »

ach mine body

Stick with it

What's your routine?

so far?

do a circuit of the machines with 3 sets of 10-15 reps on low weight

run on an elliptical-type thing for 20-30 min

takes about an hour total

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Free-weights man. Machines aren’t much cop.

Leitner on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Leitner wrote: »
    Free-weights man. Machines aren’t much cop.

I'm quite sore

the machines should do me just fine for a while

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Free weights will serve you better in the long run, but as a novice machines will do the job admirably. I reiterate, though: as you progress further and grow more comfortable with your body, free weights are extremely useful. Not only are they easier and more convenient if you ever need to improvise outside of the gym, but they recruit the use of secondary and even tertiary stabilizing muscles that otherwise lay dormant. You know that uncomfortable and indescribable soreness you get after pushing a car out of the snow, or helping a friend move furniture? A lot of that is relatable to how untaxed these 'real world' muscles are by machines designed to target a niche muscle group.

Organichu on
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Yeah, free weights are much better for building real world strength and overall fitness. Machines are better for making specific muscles larger.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Yeah, free weights are much better for building real world strength and overall fitness. Machines are better for making specific muscles larger.

No. Free-weights are better there too.

Leitner on