As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Video game sales thread December: It's over, use the new thread

1575859606163»

• BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    When it comes down to it, I'd be perfectly happy playing my used game without the added $10 content.

I also don't have any thing that isn't a freebie in my Playstation Home, or have anything that isn't a freebie on my Live avatar.

Here's a stretch... instead of charging an extra $10 on the backend just lower the new price by $10.

The increased new sales would surely outweigh the minority of people that are going to buy into the extra $10. These people are buying USED games. Meaning they are on a budget. Meaning they probably don't want to drop another $10 on the game in the first place, since that's about all they'd be saving by buying used.

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    Yea, a couple of co workers were talking about their virtual farmvilles yesterday, and all I could think was how utterly silly it sounded. :?

Imagine how people who play actual video games (and I mean total nerds like many of us) sound to these people though, when we talk about Torchlight or Harvest Moon or Call of Duty or whatever.

Yea....judging by the looks my wife gives me when I'm discussing my games with her, I'm sure we all sound horribly silly for our hobby also. :P

My wife doesn't play games other than an occasional game on the Wii. Yet she knows games by their acronyms now. I don't get the puzzled looks anymore but I sure get more eyerolls.

That's the same with my wife, it's more eye rolls than confusion. Her idea of gaming is Dr. Mario and Tetris, both of which she loves and is awesome at. (To this day I can usually only beat her 1 out of 5 or 6 games on either one of those)

She knows alot about the gaming community just because of being married to me, but she just isn't a gamer. She knows I love them, and is ok with that, but the gaming industry as a whole, she just doesn't find it that interesting. She mostly listens to me out of courtesy. :P

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Beltaine wrote: »

Here's a stretch... instead of charging an extra $10 on the backend just lower the new price by $10.

The increased new sales would surely outweigh the minority of people that are going to buy into the extra $10. These people are buying USED games. Meaning they are on a budget. Meaning they probably don't want to drop another $10 on the game in the first place, since that's about all they'd be saving by buying used.

If they drop the price from $60 to $50, then the Used game buyers are just going to keep buying the Used versions of those... for $45 now, instead of the $55 they paid when games were $60..

slash000 on
    edited February 2010
    How much longer till NPDs...it's tomorrow right.

I want to see how well NSMBWii and Tatsunoko sold.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    It's easy for us vidja game snobs to ignore, but Facebook gaming is HUGE. On the order of hundreds of millions of dollars. I imagine there's a LOT of people that will buy that damn ring.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Do you think the $10 will lower used prices?

Seems silly to try and sell a used copy for a $5 discount.

I guess the $10 content would have to be really compelling though.

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • SigtyrSigtyr Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    slash000 wrote: »

If they drop the price from $60 to $50, then the Used game buyers are just going to keep buying the Used versions of those... for $45 now, instead of the $55 they paid when games were $60..

Exactly. Giving people who bought a brand new game complete access to all current and future DLC would be fantastic.

It would also prevent feeling like you got fucked in the ass for being an early buyer, see Fallout 3 Complete DLC package that came out priced farless than the amount it cost to buy all of them separately previously. I hate it when companies do that.

Sigtyr on
    edited February 2010
    At the very least, the fact that EA is demanding this of ALL new games means that, in a few months, we'll have a halfway decent sample size to see if their DLC scheme is affecting used sales. Because one or two games selling well/crappily used could be anomalies, but 6-7 would show more of a pattern.

Then again nobody tracks used sales of individual games. Ah well.

cloudeagle on
    edited February 2010

No, this is one in a long line of ideas to try and stop the used game selling. Unless the dlc is something fantastic, I don't see it diverting a person from buying used instead of new. Especially since all it really takes is one of Gamestops B2G1 deals and people run over in droves for the used games.

This battle between used and new won't ever have a clear victor since most people pretty much will continue to buy games the way they always have.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • AZChristopherAZChristopher Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Sigtyr wrote: »

Exactly. Giving people who bought a brand new game complete access to all current and future DLC would be fantastic.

It would also prevent feeling like you got fucked in the ass for being an early buyer, see Fallout 3 Complete DLC package that came out priced farless than the amount it cost to buy all of them separately previously. I hate it when companies do that.

I love it when companies do that. I wait on purchasing single player games with DLC specifically so I can purchase that version. If they don't release one... then I buy the original used. Only game I've purchased DLC for is Borderlands and a map pack here and there.

AZChristopher on
    edited February 2010
    cloudeagle on
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

No, this is one in a long line of ideas to try and stop the used game selling. Unless the dlc is something fantastic, I don't see it diverting a person from buying used instead of new. Especially since all it really takes is one of Gamestops B2G1 deals and people run over in droves for the used games.

This battle between used and new won't ever have a clear victor since most people pretty much will continue to buy games the way they always have.

And its weird, because I will actually go out of my way to buy DLC much more often when I get the game used and enjoy it.

I got Resident Evil 5 through Goozex, and will be purchasing all the DLC (except Versus, because it doesnt seem too good), essentially because in my head spending that $20 on the 2 new missions, and mercs reunion means a net spending of $20 on a game for me. Since I liked RE5 a lot, Ill gladly give them $20 now that I know I like it.

But had I paid $60 for it, I know for a fact I wouldn't get the DLC, because to me the game suddenly costs $80 total, and it's not worth that.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow