As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[NBC] Goodbye Conan.

• mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    Tomanta wrote: »
    I say good for Conan, and I don't understand why NBC has such a hard-on for Leno, either, especially after the failed experiment that is KILLING them in the ratings.

CHUCK of all shows has become their highest rated hourly program. Now, I'm not complaining; I really like Chuck. But it's a niche show, it shouldn't be the network's ratings leader. Especially at just 7 million viewers.

Because Leno held the top spot in late night for 15 years and only moved to primetime because NBC decided to give Conan his spot 5 years ago(long before this shit went down).

The decision to give Conan the Tonight show in 2004? Was that current NBC managment or old NBC managment? They shift all the time don't they?

Leno didn't hold the top spot because people have Lenomania though. Consistently lost among the decison making of networks is that people only like characters as long as the writing for said character is entertaining. Leno has better writers than anyone else for his monologues and he could deliver the jokes well and it was in a time slot where that format works because that's what people expect.

Spinoffs usually suck because the reason the character worked was the role they played in the show, and the writing talent to weave them into the stories as needed. Leno is no different. You can't really expect something to work because it worked another way.

mrt144 on
  • RocketSauceRocketSauce Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    My question is, why the fuck is Leno not saying anything right now.

He should be screaming about how wrong this is.

I honestly think Leno doesn't give a shit. This whole thing started when he agreed to retire at a certain point and then changed his mind forcing NBC to try and shoehorn him in somewhere, lest he go to another network and become direct competition.

Then he found out that without the words "The Tonight Show" in front of his name, nobody cares about him.

RocketSauce on
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited January 2010
  • Fatboy RobertsFatboy Roberts Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Leno apparently cares, he's just doing that backroom dealing, keeping it in-house, apparently.

I wouldn't be surprised if he agreed to this 11:30 move after being led to believe Conan was cool with it. Plus I think this gives him an out that he REALLY needs. He knows his 10pm show is toast. Everyone knows it. If he quits/retires/plays out the string, he looks like a loser. Nobody wants to look like a loser. HOWEVER - because of NBC's bungling, now he gets to quit in an act of solidarity, looking like he's making a stand and people will remember how NBC ruined itself by forcing both Jay and Conan to walk.

Or NBC will blink, put Jay on hiatus, and apologize to Conan, but at this point, the relationship is pretty fuckin fractured, isn't it?

Fatboy Roberts on
  • NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Elki wrote: »

No but I heard it was vicious, and read an article that included a few excerpts.

But god I can't wait to watch this after work.

Nocturne on
  • BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I say good for Conan, and I don't understand why NBC has such a hard-on for Leno, either, especially after the failed experiment that is KILLING them in the ratings.

CHUCK of all shows has become their highest rated hourly program. Now, I'm not complaining; I really like Chuck. But it's a niche show, it shouldn't be the network's ratings leader. Especially at just 7 million viewers.

Because Leno held the top spot in late night for 15 years and only moved to primetime because NBC decided to give Conan his spot 5 years ago(long before this shit went down).

The decision to give Conan the Tonight show in 2004? Was that current NBC managment or old NBC managment? They shift all the time don't they?

Zucker's been there the whole time. He's been in charge of at least NBC's entertainment programming since 2000.

BubbaT on
  • Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2010
    Maybe a miracle will happen and Jay's tank-car will explode while he's driving it, killing him and Glenn Beck, who just happened to be in the area.

Premier kakos on
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited January 2010
    Speaking of Seinfeld... what's up with Seinfeld?

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
    edited January 2010
    Maybe a miracle will happen and Jay's tank-car will explode while he's driving it, killing him and Glenn Beck, who just happened to be in the area.

Patsy's magic gas tank

mrt144 on
  • Fatboy RobertsFatboy Roberts Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    He wants a job.

Fatboy Roberts on
  • RocketSauceRocketSauce Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    BubbaT wrote: »

Zucker's been there the whole time. He's been in charge of at least NBC's entertainment programming since 2000.

He's certainly had more than a year or two to prove he's worthy of his job. Hasn't NBC consistently ranked last, or next to last every year since...oh...around 2000?

RocketSauce on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    If NBC is going to move the goddamn schedule around, why not just put Leno back as the host of the Tonight Show? This is retarded.

Henroid on
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    That was awesome. That is a man with nothing left to lose.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    He wants a job.

It's the Scientology speaking.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Henroid wrote: »
    If NBC is going to move the goddamn schedule around, why not just put Leno back as the host of the Tonight Show? This is retarded.

Because then they have to pay Conan an ungodly (reportedly 60 million) amount of money.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Because it costs them tons of money to get rid of Conan.

I think the only reason they are thinking a half-hour show for Leno is because the "doesn't state the timeslot" bit in Conan's contract wouldn't fly if he was pushed back a full hour.

Tomanta on
  • HavelockHavelock Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Nocturne wrote: »

No but I heard it was vicious, and read an article that included a few excerpts.

But god I can't wait to watch this after work.

Havelock on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Because then they have to pay Conan an ungodly (reportedly 60 million) amount of money.

... wow, that's a lot of money for a contract breach.

Henroid on
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Leno's appearance on The Fresh Prince of Bel Air was the only time I laughed at the guy.

MKR on
  • Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Thing is Carson got to retire on his own terms(if not getting his chosen sucsessor) and I am sure nobody is going to shut down Letterman before he wants to go. Leno got told straight up that his contract was not going to be renewed in 2009. Wich is douchbaggy in its own way. Difference was he sucked it up, so nobody thinks about it.

This just smacks "New Management" blaming "Old Management" for the problems of their own making. The Leno show is the probleme here. Its sucking down the ratings for the entire lineup and screwing over the affiliates. It was a gamble that didn't pay off, pure and simple. I mean they could have given Leno any number of spots: daytime talkshow host, hosting specials and other shit. They choose prime time talk show

Trying to hide this fact, is how "New Management" becomes "Old Management" because a shitstorm like this is going to lead to replacement.

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Thing is Carson got to retire on his own terms(if not getting his chosen sucsessor) and I am sure nobody is going to shut down Letterman before he wants to go. Leno got told straight up that his contract was not going to be renewed in 2009. Wich is douchbaggy in its own way. Difference was he sucked it up, so nobody thinks about it.

This just smacks "New Management" blaming "Old Management" for the problems of their own making. The Leno show is the probleme here. Its sucking down the ratings for the entire lineup and screwing over the affiliates. It was a gamble that didn't pay off, pure and simple. I mean they could have given Leno any number of spots: daytime talkshow host, hosting specials and other shit. They choose prime time talk show

Trying to hide this fact, is how "New Management" becomes "Old Management" because a shitstorm like this is going to lead to replacement.
    The difference there is when Carson retired he was #1. He went out on top. Leno had been dropping further and further in the ratings. NBC didn't renew his contract because he wasn't maintaining the ratings to justify it.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Right now its looking like NBC is going to choose Leno over someone who is actually funny again. In fact Conan is basically Letterman 2.0, including the goofy hair.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
    edited January 2010
    Is anybody maintaining Ratings though? Isn't TV in a slump for the last few years? People going online instead? And it doesn't matter how bad his ratings are if they are better then Letterman's.

Kipling217 on
  • LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
  • KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    That was awesome. That is a man with nothing left to lose.

Dear lord, that was brutal.

On a somewhat related note, I'm glad Conan still has Max Weinberg and his band. They were one of my favorite parts of his show.

Kilroy on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Conan should move to FOX with a stipulation that Andy Richter Controls the Universe gets to come back. It was a good show.

TexiKen on
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Is anybody maintaining Ratings though? Isn't TV in a slump for the last few years? People going online instead? And it doesn't matter how bad his ratings are if they are better then Letterman's.

Network TV is in a slow decline, yes.

But right now NBC's highest rating hourly program is Chuck, which had 7 million viewers last night. CSI, for comparison pulls in 18 million.

For the other networks, a show JUST getting 7 million viewers would put it on the cancellation bubble. On top of the bubble, not inside, but still in that area. In the "Better hold those viewers or else" area.

For NBC, they are probably ready to give Chuck's creative team all the hookers and blow they could ask for.

Tomanta on
  • CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Lettermen's opening for tonight

From David Letterman's "Late Show" monologue tonight....

“Things are getting interesting in late night television. You know what’s going on, ladies and gentlemen? Chaos and craziness and mayhem – a couple of minutes ago, Conan O’Brien, who was the host of ‘The Tonight Show’ over there at NBC, announced that he would not follow Jay Leno at 12:05. Yeah, so you know what this means – that’s right, I knocked off another competitor.”

“Conan said he made the decision not to follow Leno at 12:05 after he talked to Johnny Carson.

“But listen to this: if Conan does leave ‘The Tonight Show,’ President Obama then has to appoint a replacement.”

“And then I got a call just before I came out here from NBC, and they said, ‘Look, look, we still don’t want you back.’”

And now, so Jay Leno apparently is moving back to 11:30, and this has been hard on my mom. It’s been tough on my mom because for the last six months she’s been forced to watch me.”

“And now, according to the NY Times, Al Qaeda is claiming responsibility for the wreckage at NBC.”

“Simon Cowell is leaving ‘American Idol,’ but don’t worry – we’ve checked and Jay’s fingerprints are nowhere on this one.”

Cade on
    edited January 2010
    Of course, on a competent network, Chuck would draw a huge number.

enlightenedbum on
  • dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    whereever conan ends up better not only be able to afford him but also rights to show walker texas ranger clips as well

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
    edited January 2010

But right now NBC's highest rating hourly program is Chuck, which had 7 million viewers last night. CSI, for comparison pulls in 18 million.

For the other networks, a show JUST getting 7 million viewers would put it on the cancellation bubble. On top of the bubble, not inside, but still in that area. In the "Better hold those viewers or else" area.

For NBC, they are probably ready to give Chuck's creative team all the hookers and blow they could ask for.

Which shows how stupid they truly are.

mrt144 on
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

I dunno that sounds a lot like the BS people spout about Whedon shows. Does NBC suck? Sure, does that neccessarily mean every show that people like could do better else where? Ehh not so much.

Hell Conan on Fox would kill him as much as anything else will because affiliates not pick up the show at all too scared of what he would run, or force him to tone it down worse then NBC.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited January 2010
    mrt144 wrote: »

Which shows how stupid they truly are.

Shush, you.

enlightenedbum on
    edited January 2010

As well they should. Chuck is Awsome in its own right.

Kipling217 on
    edited January 2010
    Preacher wrote: »

I dunno that sounds a lot like the BS people spout about Whedon shows. Does NBC suck? Sure, does that neccessarily mean every show that people like could do better else where? Ehh not so much.

Hell Conan on Fox would kill him as much as anything else will because affiliates not pick up the show at all too scared of what he would run, or force him to tone it down worse then NBC.

HAHA, you nailed it. Theres certain shows, that despite them doing about as well as they could, are always going to be paraded around with claims that if it was on a real network it'd be like Law and Order in terms of longevity.

mrt144 on
    edited January 2010
    I mean I love Supernatural, but I know that its a niche show that makes its average numbers on CW. If CW cancelled it I wouldn't suddenly think that if it was on CBS it would be the next Sea Quest season 1.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited January 2010
    Also, the odd thing is, I'm trying to think of any primtime shows besides Criminal Minds that are on a network besides NBC or CW.

mrt144 on
    edited January 2010
    I think it's more plausible on NBC because no one watches NBC! With the Whedon shows, there were other shows on the network that people actually watched, and thus would at least see the promotion for said shows. On NBC, this is not the case. To know about an NBC show, you basically have to read television critics or the every third year when they have the Super Bowl, or you're one of those weird people who watches the Olympics.

enlightenedbum on
    edited January 2010
    Well NBC is hemmoraging, this move damaged the hell out of the tonight show, no matter what happens advertisers are going to be bailing like motherfucker. Who wants to buy slots in an unstable zone?

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited January 2010
    Preacher wrote: »
    Well NBC is hemmoraging, this move damaged the hell out of the tonight show, no matter what happens advertisers are going to be bailing like motherfucker. Who wants to buy slots in an unstable zone?

No kidding. At this point, I'm beginning to suspect Comcast will actually improve management. And being a Comcast customer for most of the last decade, that's a stunning sentiment.

enlightenedbum on
This discussion has been closed.