As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[NBC] Goodbye Conan.

• OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Nocturne wrote: »
    Honestly I'm hoping Conan will walk over this and end up doing something much better with his talent.

This may be selfish. Maybe being a late night talk show host has always been his biggest dream but dammit he could do so many better things. Funnier things.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEZjzsnPhnw&feature=related

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Optimus I am at work but there are many Youtubes I am already planning on watching from this very thread when I get home.

Nocturne on
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Honestly I'm hoping Conan will walk over this and end up doing something much better with his talent.

This may be selfish. Maybe being a late night talk show host has always been his biggest dream but dammit he could do so many better things. Funnier things.

Hosting the Tonight Show was/is his biggest dream. Just like Letterman is still pissed he lost it.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Optimus I am at work but there are many Youtubes I am already planning on watching from this very thread when I get home.
    It was the Simpsons Monorail song. O'Brien is the credited writer for that episode.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Hosting the Tonight Show was/is his biggest dream. Just like Letterman is still pissed he lost it.

That's what pisses me off about this whole thing the most. They're not just jerking around with Conan's job, they're jerking around with his dream.

reVerse on
    edited January 2010
    Yeah well Conan should re-think his dream.

Because overall late night talk shows suck.

Nocturne on
  • useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Maybe Andy Richter should get it.

Seriously the late night war in 1990s was one of my favorite topics in college and I wrote about it a couple times.

God I would love to sit down with Letterman and pick his brain about this. I bet he's giddy that NBC is getting fucked in the end but frustrated/empathetic that Conan is getting screwed.

The book Late Shift painted him turning down this exact scenario where he would have gotten the Tonight Show but yanked after six months and replaced him with Leno. The book also talks about him getting a second chance, taking over for Leno in the bumpy first year but he realized it was a tainted show at that point - not Carson's show that he had dreamed of hosting since he was a much younger guy.

I wouldn't be surprised if Conan once again replaces Letterman at some point in the future by Letterman's request. Letterman has a hell of a setup at CBS, owning both Late shows in whole.

When Jon Stewart had his late night show on regular tv (the awesome show where bands did two songs a night) Letterman came on his final show and pretty much validated Jon's talent and effort... Do you think we would have the Daily Show today if Letterman hadn't made that appearance? Even if you are famous getting shit canned has to devastate.

So in conclusion: Letterman might not be your thing, but god damn he is the last of the true broadcasting professionals ... and in some weird fucking way Conan is his protege and Conan just got Letterman's dream (getting the gig) and Letterman's nightmare (getting it yanked in a "trust us... this is good for all of us" way)

useless4 on
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Your dream sucks and you should rethink it.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • DalbozDalboz Resident Puppy Eater Right behind you...Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Network executives are all living in the past. They still think they're the only game in town and that people will watch whatever they tell them to watch. Which of course isn't the case now since with all the options if people don't like something, they can watch or do whatever the hell they want. Network executives really don't have power anymore, but think they do. They may be kings, but kings of nothing.

The more I read about this, the more I think this whole thing was deliberate on the part of NBC. Conan got the contract that, by all account, seemed to give him the right of first refusal to the Tonight Show come 2009. So he took the job, even though NBC didn't want him. So they sign Leno for his own show before Conan, which agruably has caused a ratings drag on Conan for something that was invariably going to be rough to start with (see an earlier post about changing the host will cause a ratings drop that will take time to recover from, like when Leno originally took over the Tonight Show). So NBC then feels they can justify screwing with the schedule in a way that they know will piss of Conan and force him quit, getting them out of their contract without the big payout if they fired him.

This is definitely going to court.

Dalboz on
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I wonder if we could see something similar to what happened with Adam Carolla (who stopped doing radio and started doing his own podcasts). Maybe Conan could do something similar with Funnyordie or on his own.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited January 2010
    Fox has tried to break into late night forever... and they were serious enough to keep madtv on how long?

They are already probably hiding in the bushes outside his house with actual gold from the end of the rainbow.

I wouldn't be surprised if ABC offered to move Nightline (I am not sure the actual 11:35 slot is as important to Conan as it was to Letterman, that's why Letterman didn't go to ABC... they offered him 12:35)

useless4 on
  • BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

I'm going to guess you're not a comedian. For a generation of comedians who grew up watching Carson, just getting on The Tonight Show was the holy grail of stand-up, let alone hosting.

useless4 wrote: »
    Fox has tried to break into late night forever... and they were serious enough to keep madtv on how long?

They are already probably hiding in the bushes outside his house with actual gold from the end of the rainbow.

I wouldn't be surprised if ABC offered to move Nightline (I am not sure the actual 11:35 slot is as important to Conan as it was to Letterman, that's why Letterman didn't go to ABC... they offered him 12:35)

Fox's late night talk shows have been disasters, though. Joan Rivers, Magic Johnson, Chevy Chase...

BubbaT on
    edited January 2010
    True.
    Joans Rivers was a strong contender for Carson's Tonight Show and she was a frequent guest host too. She had pedigree.

Fox wasn't her crowd though, she was def. more a Carson generation favorite.

useless4 on
    edited January 2010
    Was that remark not obviously facetious enough?

I mean I also said that from a purely selfish standpoint I would like to see him move to Comedy Central.

I fully understand why he wants to host the Tonight Show.

Nocturne on
  • deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Lanz wrote: »

I offer a bounty of $1 Million IND (internet dollars) for a 'Civil War' style sig of this.

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Every episode I have seen so far of Conan's version of the Tonight Show has been entertaining. Fallon's show is perfect as well. Why ruin it? Just axe Leno's show.

Krathoon on
  • CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    (part of) Conan's reported monologue for tonight.
    Hello, my name is Conan O’Brien, and I may soon be available for children’s parties.

Welcome to NBC. Where our new slogan is, “No longer just screwing up prime-time.”

When I was a little boy, I remember watching “The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson” and thinking “Someday, I’m going to host that show for 7 months.”

NBC says they’re planning to have the late night situation worked out before the Winter Olympics start. And trust me, when NBC says something – you can take that to the bank!

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid is still under fire for remarks he made about President Obama’s “blackness.” Sources say Reid could face Congressional censure, or even worse, be promised the “The Tonight Show” at 11:30.

Cade on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Source?

Henroid on
    edited January 2010
    Henroid wrote: »
    Source?

One of the many sites that's been leaking the monologues for the last two or three days perhaps?

You know, the ones then that are shown that night on TV.

Cade on
    edited January 2010
    Cade wrote: »
    Source?

One of the many sites that's been leaking the monologues for the last two or three days perhaps?

When someone asks for a source, I'm pretty sure "the internet" is not an acceptable answer.

Nocturne on
    edited January 2010
    Source?

When someone asks for a source, I'm pretty sure "the internet" is not an acceptable answer.

Well it's a good thing that the internet has not given any of these links so far.

We'll just yanking them out of thin air.

Ohhhhh magic.

Cade on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    so, is NBC just resigned to giving him the 60 million, then? If not, it seems like continuing to do what he did last night until they fire him is probably the best choice.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Source?

Well it's a good thing that the internet has not given any of these links so far.

Ohhhhh magic.

Maybe instead of acting like a douchebag, you could just post the fucking link?

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • RocketSauceRocketSauce Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Dyscord wrote: »
    so, is NBC just resigned to giving him the 60 million, then? If not, it seems like continuing to do what he did last night until they fire him is probably the best choice.

I could definitely act like that if it would earn me $60 million, as well as screw over the people who fucked it up.

RocketSauce on
  • dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    doesn't nbc also own his creative staff?
    i mean i'm 100% behind him on this but whats stopping them from picking apart his team until the rest of the crew falls in line. I mean I assume those guys don't have the luxury of awesome payout clauses.

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    i mean i'm 100% behind him on this but whats stopping them from picking apart his team until the rest of the crew falls in line. I mean I assume those guys don't have the luxury of awesome payout clauses.

I'd have to guess if Conan goes somewhere else, most of them will have a job there if they want it.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • gundam470gundam470 Drunk Gorilla CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    deowolf wrote: »
    I offer a bounty of $1 Million IND (internet dollars) for a 'Civil War' style sig of this.
    I would've liked to clean it up a bit more but I no longer have PS installed.

cocoSig.jpg

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k165/gundam470/PA/cocoSig.jpg

gundam470 on
    gorillaSig.jpg
  • deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    <3 you.

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Conan doesn't need a creative staff to fuck with NBC. In fact, not having a creative staff would fuck NBC more.

mrt144 on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Source?

Ohhhhh magic.

Maybe instead of acting like a douchebag, you could just post the fucking link?

This quote tree could've been a shrub had he simply done that instead of mock me for not being fanatical about the topic and researching it when someone who is into it could drop the link. But whatever.

Henroid on
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Wherever he goes, I hope he takes Jimmy Pardo with him.

Being a former Angelino and comedy fan, he is one of my favs.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    NBC says they’re planning to have the late night situation worked out before the Winter Olympics start. And trust me, when NBC says something – you can take that to the bank!

That one is COLD. It's almost as if Conan is trying to get fired at this point. Well, he probably is so he can get his "fuck you" money.

Tomanta on
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Tomanta wrote: »

That one is COLD. It's almost as if Conan is trying to get fired at this point. Well, he probably is so he can get his "fuck you" money.

He has a Lawyer so it's safe to assume he was advised to do as much.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited January 2010
    Another awesome monologue in the works.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • psychotixpsychotix __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    mrt144 wrote: »

Conan doesn't need a creative staff to fuck with NBC. In fact, not having a creative staff would fuck NBC more.

True, and the last thing you want is a comic gone renegade on your hands.

psychotix on
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Even Letterman is getting into it in his monologue. They just did a "Law and Order: Leno Victims Unit" parody.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • psychotixpsychotix __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    Even Letterman is getting into it in his monologue. They just did a "Law and Order: Leno Victims Unit" parody.

revenge is sweet.

psychotix on
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I really

really

really hope 30 Rock pulls at least one episode out of all this too. Every time Conan's been on the show it's been hilarious.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I really

really

really hope 30 Rock pulls at least one episode out of all this too. Every time Conan's been on the show it's been hilarious.

They were blasting Leno too so I fully expect it.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    edited January 2010
    Awesome intro by Conan.

Never saw that coming at all.

Cade on
This discussion has been closed.