As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[NBC] Goodbye Conan.

1565758596062»

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Nappuccino wrote: »
    If semi-blatent advertisements are what keeps the show on the air then so be it. God you guys are superficial silly geese.

You can't call the Subway ads semi-blatant. They're so blatant they almost wrap around to funny.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    If the "references" your show contains are actually just ads, that's a little bit... well it isn't entertaining, is what it is.

I like Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare. I don't need to hear a character say "Hey! Let's purchase Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare and then play Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare until the late hours as friends do! It's a game available at stores like ours!"

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    If semi-blatent advertisements are what keeps the show on the air then so be it. God you guys are superficial silly geese.

You can't call the Subway ads semi-blatant. They're so blatant they almost wrap around to funny.

I'm pretty sure 30 Rock is the only TV show to get the full extent of the wraparound effect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGlFPIg0H6U

I apologize for the shit all over the clip, it was the only decent quality copy on YouTube.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    If you guys are just watching The Office and 30 Rock on Thursdays, you need to make the time for the first hour of that block, Community and Parks and Rec. They're both great shows that have been suffering a little in the ratings (although Community has been gaining enough ground to probably get a second season).

HadjiQuest on
    edited January 2010
    Whoops, sorry. Just checked Wikipedia for the first time in a couple months, and Community's ratings have dropped almost as low as Parks and Rec. They're both now dangerously close to cancelation! Each gets just under 5 million viewers per episode.

HadjiQuest on
  • JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    If you guys are just watching The Office and 30 Rock on Thursdays, you need to make the time for the first hour of that block, Community and Parks and Rec. They're both great shows that have been suffering a little in the ratings (although Community has been gaining enough ground to probably get a second season).

And it doesnt make a flip of a difference if we watch them or not unless we're neilson households.

Suck.

Jokerman on
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2010
    "Changing systems of viewing have impacted Nielsen's methods of market research. In 2005, Nielsen began measuring the usage of digital video recordings such as TiVo. Initial results indicate that time-shifted viewing will have a significant impact on television ratings. The networks are not yet figuring these new results into their ad rates at the resistance of advertisers."

FyreWulff on
  • BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Whoops, sorry. Just checked Wikipedia for the first time in a couple months, and Community's ratings have dropped almost as low as Parks and Rec. They're both now dangerously close to cancelation! Each gets just under 5 million viewers per episode.

So you're saying they'll both be offered the hosting job of The Tonight Show?

Also, one of the channels trying to get Conan is USA Network. USAN is owned by NBC. Good luck with that.

BubbaT on
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    It matters if you watch online! Because they do look at those numbers. Yay hulu.

If Community gets cancelled I'll cry.

SniperGuy on
    Twitch Streaming basically all week
    SniperGuyGaming on PSN / SniperGuy710 on Xbone Live
  • KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    How many people are going to get a ZORK reference though.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    people...i need you to find a way to become a neilson viewer and watch community. It is the best thing thats happened to me in my whole life (dont tell my fiance, or my cat)

dont let them take it from me.

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png
  • RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So, all this talk of not being a Nielsen family reminds me. Around January 11th, I got a letter from Nielsen, with cash in the envelope, requesting that I take a survey about our family's viewing habits. DURING THE MIDDLE OF THE "CONAN CRISIS." I am now convinced, however, that they only want people who don't work, since they only call between 12PM to 4PM on weekdays. I mean, I understand "business hours" but come on...I was really looking forward to being included. (To be somewhat fair, they did call on MLK day, but we were driving back from a mini-vacation.)

RandomHajile on
    edited January 2010
    Disrupter wrote: »
    people...i need you to find a way to become a neilson viewer and watch community. It is the best thing thats happened to me in my whole life (dont tell my fiance, or my cat)

dont let them take it from me.

You can't, it's random.

Unless you find someone who works for them and bribe them I guess.

Kagera on
    edited January 2010
    My family is part of "arbitron" does anyone know how they are counted in the ratings? We get a beeper type thing that apparently tells them what we watch. I need to make a consertive effort to watch community, then cross time-zones and watch it again.

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Any word on Leno's show tonight? I'm sure no one watched it, but it was still new, right?

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I find it hard to imagine Community lasting more than 2 or 4 seasons anyway. The entire framework of the show depends on the characters going to community college, which should only last 4 years tops, what with everyone actually attending their classes.

BloodySloth on
    edited January 2010
    Athenor wrote: »
    Any word on Leno's show tonight? I'm sure no one watched it, but it was still new, right?

Leno's last show was Friday AFAIK.

Kagera on
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I find it hard to imagine Community lasting more than 2 or 4 seasons anyway. The entire framework of the show depends on the characters going to community college, which should only last 4 years tops, what with everyone actually attending their classes.

Saved by the Bell made it happen. Sadly...
    Newclass.jpg

Sbtbcollegeyears.jpg

DanHibiki on
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2010
    oh god, that second cover is painfully 90s

Achy Breaky hair

berets

everyone wearing faded jeans

green and pink text

FyreWulff on
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Kagera wrote: »
    Athenor wrote: »

Leno's last show was Friday AFAIK.

Really? I figured there was nothing stopping him from going through the Olympics.

Letterman was a rerun, which was a disappointment, and Stewart didn't make any comments about the controversy. That's kind of a shame, as I was hoping someone would come out and bash the hell out of something.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Community is doing very, very well and won't be going anywhere anytime soon.

And as someone who's gone to a Community college, it can last way - way - longer than 4 years. Especially with this crowd.

Its not a traditional 'get a degree and get out' place. Most people go to take a couple courses. No one at a community college (well, anyone over the age of someone like Annie on the show) is ever taking a full course load.

Look at Pierce. He's obviously already got a degree in something and doesn't NEED to be there. It's mostly people taking random courses looking for new carrer oppertunities, or just people who like school and learning new stuff.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • BackstopBackstop Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    My family is part of "arbitron" does anyone know how they are counted in the ratings? We get a beeper type thing that apparently tells them what we watch. I need to make a consertive effort to watch community, then cross time-zones and watch it again.

Arbitron is for Radio, not TV. It's depressing* that they did not make this clear to you when they gave you the People Meter. People Meters "hear" a code embedded into radio broadcasts and report back how much time you are in the presence of whatever station it's hearing. This way you don;t have to log in a book and it catches when you are, say, in a waiting room and Easy Listening 101 is on. It does not have any capacity for television as far as I know.

*but not surprising

Backstop on
    edited January 2010
    They specifically said TV and radio...

in fact I went on to ask about if it picked up DVRs and they said yes, but the transmittion degrades over views so only the first view or so counts...

honestly, it sounded BS, but I didnt know enough.

Basically they said that a signal is sent from the TV when you view shows...i believe using the speakers. But im not sure if having the sound down matters. Really, the whole thing didnt add up to me, but I assure you they at least claim it works on TV...

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Has there been any word as to whether Conan will appear on Letterman?

Lucascraft on
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Lucascraft wrote: »

If it happens, it won't happen until after the Olympics.

Were I Letterman, I'd try to do it on Leno's first day back.

Tomanta on
  • mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

People go to community college for far longer and often don't matriculate.

mrt144 on
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    mxmarks wrote: »

Community is doing very, very well and won't be going anywhere anytime soon.

Not to be Debbie Downer, because I love Community, but it's not doing very well, it's doing merely okay, and that's "okay" by NBC standards, which would be the kiss of death on any other network.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2010

He can't. Until September, he's not allowed to do interviews.

Premier kakos on
  • BackstopBackstop Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    They specifically said TV and radio...

in fact I went on to ask about if it picked up DVRs and they said yes, but the transmittion degrades over views so only the first view or so counts...

honestly, it sounded BS, but I didnt know enough.

Basically they said that a signal is sent from the TV when you view shows...i believe using the speakers. But im not sure if having the sound down matters. Really, the whole thing didnt add up to me, but I assure you they at least claim it works on TV...

Well, it could be, but TV shows go by Neilsen ratings.

Backstop on
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Wait, really? I thought the clause was that he wasn't allowed to host anything.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
    edited January 2010

I thought his contract said he's not allowed to be on TV, and probably radio as well.

That makes the most sense to me, because were he to go on Letterman, it'd still be direct competition.

HadjiQuest on
  • tallgeezetallgeeze Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

I thought his contract said he's not allowed to be on TV, and probably radio as well.

That makes the most sense to me, because were he to go on Letterman, it'd still be direct competition.

Can he do a podcast? The internet is no threat to NBC.

tallgeeze on
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I read somewhere it's a complete blackout for three months, his own show for six.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    http://entertainment.slashdot.org/story/10/01/26/1548252/Nielsen-Ratings-To-Count-Online-TV-Viewing

They're going to start counting on-line viewers in the Nielsen Ratings... About damn time!

DanHibiki on
  • NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    http://entertainment.slashdot.org/story/10/01/26/1548252/Nielsen-Ratings-To-Count-Online-TV-Viewing

They're going to start counting on-line viewers in the Nielsen Ratings... About damn time!

Oh fuck yes

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • The DeliveratorThe Deliverator Slingin Pies The California BurbclavesRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010

Oh fuck yes

Read the article. It's only going to count online viewing that has the same number of commercials as a broadcast viewing. Which means it won't count anything except Comcast's online TV service and some other obscure one that no one knows of. Hulu and all the networks personal streaming setups cut out the majority of commercials.

The Deliverator on
  • tallgeezetallgeeze Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Oh fuck yes

Read the article. It's only going to count online viewing that has the same number of commercials as a broadcast viewing. Which means it won't count anything except Comcast's online TV service and some other obscure one that no one knows of. Hulu and all the networks personal streaming setups cut out the majority of commercials.

wow, it's amazing how they move 1 step forward and then immediately backward 2 steps.

tallgeeze on
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I can see the motivation behind the decision to do it that way; advertisers obviously see the two kinds of broadcasts differently because there's significantly less commercial time on Hulu and other online broadcast services. Still, just completely ignoring these ratings instead of, say, measuring them separately from standard broadcasts is absolutely not the right way to go about things.

BloodySloth on
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited January 2010
    goodbye, Goodbye Conan

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
This discussion has been closed.