As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[NBC] Goodbye Conan.

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Kimmel destroying Leno by doing his exact shit act.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    tallgeezetallgeeze Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    MH79 wrote: »
    No-Quarter wrote: »
    I'll be curious to see if this fiasco provides any adrenalin-shot-fueled rating jumps for the various shows.

Oh, from my own experience, I think it will. I haven't watched Conan for a while since the summer, but I decided today was as good a night as any to put my PVR to good use.

That may not help the actual ratings but I'm watching it again!

I think it will also because every late night show is doing something. And from what I've seen so far it's pretty funny.

tallgeeze on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    PantsB wrote: »
    Kimmel destroying Leno by doing his exact shit act.

He really lucked into his guests who were both terrible.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The Kevin Eubanks impression was actually way better than the Leno one.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited January 2010
    to be fair, I think once chevy chase realized what was going on he just went "welp, I can just coast for twenty minutes"

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    tallgeeze wrote: »
    No-Quarter wrote: »
    I'll be curious to see if this fiasco provides any adrenalin-shot-fueled rating jumps for the various shows.

Oh, from my own experience, I think it will. I haven't watched Conan for a while since the summer, but I decided today was as good a night as any to put my PVR to good use.

That may not help the actual ratings but I'm watching it again!

I think it will also because every late night show is doing something. And from what I've seen so far it's pretty funny.

Yeah, exactly. I can't be the only one who suddenly has a renewed interest in any of their shows right now, wanting to see what everyone's doing to make fun of the situation. So I don't doubt at all that all the shows are gonna get a boost in the ratings.

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    ... I have no idea what's going on anymore. The pictures of Kimmel above look brilliant.

Henroid on
  • Options
    RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Over in the SE++ thread someone posted this little gem:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHv8IACWSpM

I guess its kind of amazing that Conan didn't get screwed over by NBC sooner?

Raynaga on
  • Options
    cyphrcyphr Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The reddit alien has a new hairdo :lol:

cyphr on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2010
    You know, it's funny how all these guys are technically competitors, but they're all rallying behind Conan, because fuck that was supposed to be his job.

Also poor poor Carson Daly. Even Letterman pointed out that it seemed NBC didn't care about Carson at all.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    This is amazing.

It's like every single person in comedy is now tearing NBC and Leno a new one.

And it is glorious. One can only hope that somebody at NBC realizes the sheer backlash that is building up from all this.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    CauldCauld Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Even woot is getting in on this. Fun times.

Cauld on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Raynaga wrote: »
    Over in the SE++ thread someone posted this little gem:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHv8IACWSpM

I guess its kind of amazing that Conan didn't get screwed over by NBC sooner?

Every host makes fun of their network often. I guess a catchy musical number really drives it home.

Also, Kimmel is so good at this Leno thing I had to turn the channel because it became so bad.

You crazy, Jimmy, you crazy:P

tallgeeze on
  • Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So is there any actual truth other then TMZ saying Leno is considering walking too? Cuz it would just be monumentally dickish to go ahead and still take the new timeslot after everyone on late night is bashing him and NBC.

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I'm pretty sure it'd be dickish whether people were bashing him for it or not.

Hell, even woot.com is getting in on the action.

Raynaga on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Raynaga wrote: »
    Hell, even woot.com is getting in on the action.

This is work of art.

Pata on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So is there any actual truth other then TMZ saying Leno is considering walking too? Cuz it would just be monumentally dickish to go ahead and still take the new timeslot after everyone on late night is bashing him and NBC.

I think Leno is caught in some bullshit where he's trying to please everyone, which you can't do when the two crowds you're trying to please totally contradict each other and both realities can't exist at the same fucking time. He says he'll walk, he says he'll 'transition into Conan smoothly,' like he fucking used to anyway - who knows. But fuck him and NBC.

Henroid on
  • Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Henroid wrote: »

I think Leno is caught in some bullshit where he's trying to please everyone, which you can't do when the two crowds you're trying to please totally contradict each other and both realities can't exist at the same fucking time. He says he'll walk, he says he'll 'transition into Conan smoothly,' like he fucking used to anyway - who knows. But fuck him and NBC.

Letterman totally got him on that. "Oh yeah, that was my idea."

mrt144 on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    What does it mean to transition smoothly? And what's the opposite? A jump-cut?

Henroid on
  • Options
    AmphetamineAmphetamine Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

each day his show starts a minute later, until one month from now you don't even notice and then all of a sudden BAM! leno's on at 11:30.

Amphetamine on
  • Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

each day his show starts a minute later, until one month from now you don't even notice and then all of a sudden BAM! leno's on at 11:30.

:lol: Tears rolling down cheeks.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I've noticed something, Comedians are at their absolute funniest when they're absolutely pissed about something.

There's no lingering affection, no sense of restraint to hold them back. They unlesh their full fury upon the target of their wrath.

Pata on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    It's more passion than anything.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Generally speaking it means saying, "Stay tuned for Conan" at the end of his show and maybe mentioning the guests.

astrobstrd on
    Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    tachyontachyon Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    http://www.sirmikeofmitchell.com/imwithcoco/

Good stuff, already noticed alot of people on facebook switching profile pics.

tachyon on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Pata wrote: »
    I've noticed something, Comedians are at their absolute funniest when they're absolutely pissed about something.

There's no lingering affection, no sense of restraint to hold them back. They unlesh their full fury upon the target of their wrath.

TV execs are one thing, but I think the fact someone in the same profession is holding back another person in the same profession really gets them worked up.

Also doesn't help the that held up professional is question is an adorable redhead.

tallgeeze on
  • Options
    TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I almost wish I watched Jay Leno regularly enough to fully appreciate Kimmel's spoof.

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Apparently, TMZ is now reporting that Conan is walking and Jay is getting the 11:30 spot AND "The Tonight Show." Also, apparently FOX has made overtures at creating a brand-new 11:00 spot just for Conan. FOX has never had non-sports programming at that hour in primetime, and is usually off-air.

If this is true, this is pretty much the end of NBC.

Atomika on
  • Options
    Fatboy RobertsFatboy Roberts Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So much for Jay taking the out that he lucked into. If he doesn't walk he's toast. I mean, he's already toast, but the bread will spontaneously burst into flame as if dipped in thermite.

If Conan is out, Jay's gotta walk too. It's really his only option to duck out of this game with any semblance of something close to dignity.

Either way - NBC is fucked on this one. This is the first time I can think of that a network can be seen to have seriously violated a large segment of the country's trust. Sure, shows have been canceled unceremoniously, but this seems to be on a much more personal level with a lot of people. FOX canceling Whedon shows is more of a punchline now than anything. ABC letting Monday Night Football go was dramatical, but there are a lot of regular viewers that are just flat out DONE with NBC over this. Which is nuts, since not that many people actually WATCH Conan.

Fatboy Roberts on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So much for Jay taking the out that he lucked into. If he doesn't walk he's toast. I mean, he's already toast, but the bread will spontaneously burst into flame as if dipped in thermite.

If Conan is out, Jay's gotta walk too. It's really his only option to duck out of this game with any semblance of something close to dignity.

Either way - NBC is fucked on this one. This is the first time I can think of that a network can be seen to have seriously violated a large segment of the country's trust. Sure, shows have been canceled unceremoniously, but this seems to be on a much more personal level with a lot of people. FOX canceling Whedon shows is more of a punchline now than anything. ABC letting Monday Night Football go was dramatical, but there are a lot of regular viewers that are just flat out DONE with NBC over this. Which is nuts, since not that many people actually WATCH Conan.

Man, this made me realize that all I watched on NBC was The Office and 30 Rock.

I'm pretty sure I'm willing to let both go over this.

And I didn't even watch Conan.

EDIT: Oh, and I won't be watching that new J.J. Abrams show now, either.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Which is nuts, since not that many people actually WATCH Conan.

But people watch enough to have a choice, and therefore take sides. Conan is my preferred host, but I don't know if I've watched him in months. But that's because Conan's show is smart and witty and tends to have interesting guests, and Jay's show is bland and homogeneous and blatantly appeals to humorless elderly midwesterners.

If Jay wants to retain a shred of credibility (should this be a true report), he has to walk in solidarity with Conan. But considering he's even fighting this hard despite his show's failure shows to me that he's just out for himself.

Atomika on
  • Options
    Fatboy RobertsFatboy Roberts Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I think it goes deeper. I think even people who don't watch Conan, LIKE Conan. They've seen some clips, they know he wrote some Simpsons, they see how he carries himself, and they dig it. Even people not familiar with this show hear "Conan O'Brien" and think warmly of the guy.

This seems to be offending people in a way akin to hearing that a Wal-Mart is mowing down a company store. This whole brouhaha is representative of something more than just "Who is better at reading one-liners off a cue card," and it's something NBC executives had no idea was part of what they paid for when they paid for Conan.

This has gotta be a real eye-opener for the heads of the other networks. There's an element of the intangible here that people in charge have to account for.

Fatboy Roberts on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Which is nuts, since not that many people actually WATCH Conan.

But people watch enough to have a choice, and therefore take sides. Conan is my preferred host, but I don't know if I've watched him in months. But that's because Conan's show is smart and witty and tends to have interesting guests, and Jay's show is bland and homogeneous and blatantly appeals to humorless elderly midwesterners.

If Jay wants to retain a shred of credibility (should this be a true report), he has to walk in solidarity with Conan. But considering he's even fighting this hard despite his show's failure shows to me that he's just out for himself.

Kimmel skewers the Leno show spot on

(There's a longer version here and a[strike] "headlines" one[/strike])

More
    Headlines

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    DetharinDetharin Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Personally I have seen a grand sum total of one episode of the tonight show, and that was Conans first night due to being in the hospital waiting room. I had never seen enough Conan to like him or hate him. His handling of this fiasco though is pretty hilarious.

Detharin on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I think it goes deeper. I think even people who don't watch Conan, LIKE Conan. They've seen some clips, they know he wrote some Simpsons, they see how he carries himself, and they dig it. Even people not familiar with this show hear "Conan O'Brien" and think warmly of the guy.

True.

And on top of that, especially in this time of recession, I think stories of giant conglomerates promoting failures and treating the little guy who put in his dues like trash kinda rings true.

I really don't understand why NBC didn't just cut Jay and say, "Sorry, bad ratings."

Atomika on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    mcdermott wrote: »

Man, this made me realize that all I watched on NBC was The Office and 30 Rock.

I'm pretty sure I'm willing to let both go over this.

And I didn't even watch Conan.

EDIT: Oh, and I won't be watching that new J.J. Abrams show now, either.

The depressing thing is that I think my three favorite shows are all on NBC. Chuck, Community, and Friday Night Lights.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Detharin wrote: »
    Personally I have seen a grand sum total of one episode of the tonight show, and that was Conans first night due to being in the hospital waiting room. I had never seen enough Conan to like him or hate him. His handling of this fiasco though is pretty hilarious.

Conan's show was always much smarter

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    PantsB wrote: »

Holy shit, he gets his mannerisms down so well.

Henroid on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Chevy Chase sure got old.

reVerse on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    God that Kimmel stuff is painfully good. Getting into Norm MacDonald territory with the headlines stuff.

Raynaga on
This discussion has been closed.