As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The search for tactical games: Aliens not necessary.

• Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    "The army! I knew we'd see them sooner or later!" - after having killed probably three or four dozen army troops already.

Also, my favorite thing to do in 1.13 is to avoid Drassen entirely at first; don't even take a single sector of it. Instead I start with a small squad of 2-3 guys and move west through San Mona (doing the side mission to unlock Tony) and then moving on to Chitzena. I take Chitzena, deal with the modest counter-attack, and then hold the town and let it build up, defending as necessary and running any guns I can find and repair over to Tony while buying anything he has that's good.

After a few in-game weeks of this, Chitzena's tiny mine finally gives up the ghost, and by then I'm fit and ready to hire on a real squad and move on to Drassen, and I won't have to worry about a better mine closing, and I can properly defend against the mine counter-attack.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Up to mission 3 on Rainbow 6 3: Raven shield, playing it only by planning and observing. It was intensley satisfying finally beating the first mission with zero deaths of my squad. Mission 2 was a bit faster and cleaner but mission 3 is looking to be pretty tough.

Nothing is more satisfying than having my team of 3 guys creep about with silenced weapons, picking off guys in hallways and then suddenley blitzing the next room with 4 guys, gunning them all down quickly, quietley and efficientley simply because they hadn't heard a thing up until the point my team kicked open the door and gunned them all down, effectivley not giving them a chance to even aim their guns or even equip them :D

As soon as I started using silenced weapons and using the blitz/cautious commands the game became a lot more managble since i am able to not attract much attention and mov quickly and quietley wherever I need to.

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    You guys are making me want to get Jagged Alliance 2, which I have never played. The problem is that I know I don't have the time for it and I'd probably get frustrated with the minutiae. I'm assuming there is minutiae of some kind.

Also:
    Sokpuppet wrote: »
    My suggestion;

Buck Rogers; Countdown to Doomsday

graphics are pretty dated, but it is simply an absolutely fucking amazing game.

I fucking loved that game, although I only ever played it on the Sega Genesis.

SteevL on
  • Options
    Tim JamesTim James Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    SteevL wrote: »
    You guys are making me want to get Jagged Alliance 2, which I have never played. The problem is that I know I don't have the time for it and I'd probably get frustrated with the minutiae. I'm assuming there is minutiae of some kind.
    It's certainly a game from its era, but I wish I had started playing it a decade ago. And almost did. That and Planescape: Torment, but I never pulled the trigger on buying the damn things.

Tim James on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I never played Jagged Alliance 2 until 2008. I'd heard of it and wanted to play it, but never got around to it.

It's actually aged a lot better than the majority of games from that era, especially Fallout.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    Snarkman3Snarkman3 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    As a first time player, I'll tell you that it does require time to understand. The first time you boot it up it's a mix of "Woah, cool" and "What the fuck am I supposed to do now", but after a while, everything falls into place. And it's deeply satisfying when it does. Not only is it very much enthralling and fun, it has a tremendous amount of replay value.

Of course, if you're familiar with tactical games, this shouldn't be a surprise for you.

Snarkman3 on
  • Options
    Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Yeah, I really don't like playing old games but JA2 has aged quite well.

With the exception of a sexy 3d engine, theres nothing that really need updating.

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Yeah, JA 2 has some things that you won't really find in other games, but that's more of a mark of it's complex systems than say an aged interface. The interface is actually pretty damn good, and things like real time movement and exploration that smoothly shifts to turn based combat on enemy encounters were far ahead of their time. Sure there are some quirks here and there, but for the most part it's a very well designed game that is equal if not flat out better than anything else in the genre on PC.

Drake on
  • Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    My biggest problem with JA2 is accuracy at the beginning of the game. My guys can't reliably hit anyone more than 5 metres away, and that's with 90ish accuracy. I'm sure once I get some decent equipment and cash I'd enjoy it more, but I just can't stick with it long enough to find out.

Does anyone have suggestions for good tactical FPS or TPSs? I tried GRAW2, and while I had an awesome mission where I spotted all the enemies with a UAV, positioned my dudes well, and took down all enemies without them firing a shot, it was generally a pretty crappy game. Cumbersome and less tactical than I wanted.

AnteCantelope on
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    SteevL wrote: »

I've never played the fan patch, so maybe it adds a bunch, but I've never thought that there was all that much minutiae in JA2.

Sure, there's keeping your mercs happy, healthy, and well-armed, and keeping the populace protected, but it's more "core gameplay elements that come up all the time" than "bizarrely annoying minutiae."
    My biggest problem with JA2 is accuracy at the beginning of the game. My guys can't reliably hit anyone more than 5 metres away, and that's with 90ish accuracy. I'm sure once I get some decent equipment and cash I'd enjoy it more, but I just can't stick with it long enough to find out.

Yeah - starting the game, you'll be dealing with pistols, for the most part. Pistols have short effective ranges. You can correct for this by sneaking up closer to your target before attacking them, by ambushing them, or by just laying down more fire. Also, don't underestimate the math of the game - sometimes, it's better to take two or three low percentage shots than one high-percentage shot.

A lot of this will go away once you spool up to rifles.

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    yeah i just started a campaign, and i am kind of completely unaware of what to do

i presume hiring a few decent mercs > lots of cheap mercs

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The advantage of hiring expensive/decent mercs is that their gear is generally better than anything you'll be finding for a while. As people have noted, it's the guns that really hold you back in the beginning.

It's worthwhile to hire an expensive an expensive merc even for one day, as you get to keep their equipment after their contract expires. Just remove it from them before they leave.

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010

Does anyone have suggestions for good tactical FPS or TPSs? I tried GRAW2, and while I had an awesome mission where I spotted all the enemies with a UAV, positioned my dudes well, and took down all enemies without them firing a shot, it was generally a pretty crappy game. Cumbersome and less tactical than I wanted.

SWAT 4 is pretty much king of tactical FPS games.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    -SPI- wrote: »

Agreed on SWAT4

Plus its awesome to shoot people in the face with pepper balls, and taze old women with heart conditions

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Yeah - starting the game, you'll be dealing with pistols, for the most part. Pistols have short effective ranges. You can correct for this by sneaking up closer to your target before attacking them, by ambushing them, or by just laying down more fire. Also, don't underestimate the math of the game - sometimes, it's better to take two or three low percentage shots than one high-percentage shot.

A lot of this will go away once you spool up to rifles.

Alternatively, you just only attack at night where the range doesn't matter as much since you'll be up close anyway.

I often just would stealth past patrols I bumped into on the way to Drassen and save myself the frustration of hunting down the enemy with such short range weapons.

For anyone else just starting to play this, don't listen to the crap about being able to just go prone and shoot stuff. That will work early on, but if you don't learn how to fight at closer ranges in and around buildings, the later cities will smack you around hard. There are more and more buildings and less open areas the further south you go in Arulco and your tactics should shift accordingly.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    yeah i just started a campaign, and i am kind of completely unaware of what to do

Succinctly: You are there to liberate the populace. You'll find one of your contacts pretty early on, and he'll give you some hints, but beyond that, the method by which you bring sweet, sweet freedom to th'oppressed masses is pretty much up to you.

Things to keep in mind: securing air access will allow you to import gear and mercs. Expanding your air access will let you access even more of the country. Liberating a city, and then letting Deidranna's goons move back in will severly damage your rep' in the eyes of the locals.
    i presume hiring a few decent mercs > lots of cheap mercs

... Eh. You're really limited in funds at the beginning of the game, and without a constant source of income (*hint, hint*) you might be hard pressed to keep them around beyond their initial contract. Also, it's possible that the merc you really want to hire's already off doing things when you want to start things off, so you'll have to make do with what's available.

I generally try to make sure that I've got at least two solid shooters (90+ Marksmanship), a doctor, and a trainer (c.f. Deidranna's goons, above). Early on, explosives experts and engineering types are nice-to-haves but not essential - you'll absolutely want to bring them along eventually, however. After that, I go with what's available.

As mentioned elsewhere, though, sometimes it's more than worth it to pick up one of the expensive guys early with no inclination to keep him around just to get access to his M-16 or whatever.

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    -SPI- wrote: »

Really? I didn't enjoy it that much. Controlling my guys was a bit too cumbersome, which I guess could be fixed by co-op. Is there co-op? Also, I got really annoyed at the amount of guys I was facing. The mission briefing would say something like 'teens stole a car and are holed up here, maybe automatic weapons' and then I have to face 14 guys. Then everyone has body armour and gas masks, and it starts to get silly.

I guess what I'm saying is that the gameplay is what I'm after, but the level design gave me the shits.

AnteCantelope on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    SWAT 4 has co op

it is glorious

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I generally try to make sure that I've got at least two solid shooters (90+ Marksmanship), a doctor, and a trainer (c.f. Deidranna's goons, above). Early on, explosives experts and engineering types are nice-to-haves but not essential - you'll absolutely want to bring them along eventually, however. After that, I go with what's available.

You get a decent mechanic in the form of Dmitri after a little quest in Drassen/Omerta anyway.

Just don't try to make him do much beyond repairing your stuff or you'll be frustrated.

"I forget . . . I forget again."

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    edited January 2010

You get a decent mechanic in the form of Dmitri after a little quest in Drassen/Omerta anyway.

Just don't try to make him do much beyond repairing your stuff or you'll be frustrated.

"I forget . . . I forget again."

... Is it bad that I can not only remember that, but that I can say it with the right accent? :D

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    jot wrote: »
    Kris_xK wrote: »
    korodullin wrote: »
    I think I may actually play some vanilla JA2 next time I reinstall it. I haven't played just the base game in so long.

I can't do it, 1.13 introduces window mode which is key.

If it's your first time playing, or if you haven't played for a while, make sure you uncheck the "Drassen Counterattack" thing 1.13 included. Seriously.

Awww come on that thing's a rite of passage.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    SWAT 4 is a great shooter, but for my money, SWAT 3 was better as far as the tactics aspect went. The graphics weren't as good, but the training kill house thing was better at learning movement and precision, and also the game came with helpful little videos that you could watch to explain to you what a two-man or four-man group is supposed to do when it enters and clears a room -- very helpful when you want to know which angles are going to get covered and what generally you should do with your ass so that you don't impede the team.

Also: breaklights. Pepper spray is nice addition and all, but they took out the breaklights in SWAT 4. When you think you've finished a map but the game is telling you, "Um, no, you missed a hostage, go back and find her," breaklights make it so much easier to figure out which rooms you searched and which ones you forgot. Just drop a breaklight by the doorway as you're leaving and move on.

...of course, on the downside, on the hardest difficulty setting sometimes the AI would shoot at and kill you before it had finished excuting the "level weapon and aim" animation, which is pretty suck-tastic in a game where you're only authorized to fire on actively hostile enemies.

SammyF on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    i have almost liberated drassden

hopefully i will take control of that mine, and get some cash flow up in hurr

great game.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So I am probably going to reinstall Silent Storm today when I get to my fiancee's thanks to this thread. Can anyone suggest some mods/fan patches that make the game better?

SteevL on
  • Options
    jotjot Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    jot wrote: »
    Kris_xK wrote: »
    I think I may actually play some vanilla JA2 next time I reinstall it. I haven't played just the base game in so long.

I can't do it, 1.13 introduces window mode which is key.

If it's your first time playing, or if you haven't played for a while, make sure you uncheck the "Drassen Counterattack" thing 1.13 included. Seriously.

Awww come on that thing's a rite of passage.

I played through it once.
    My guys spent the battle being holed up in a little house with no windows, waiting for one of the 40 or so enemy guys to pop their head in, and then shooting said head off.
    It was fun the first few times, but after that it got old very fast.

jot on
  • Options
    El MuchoEl Mucho Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    After reading this damn thread I had to reinstall JA2 last night. I downloaded 1.13, but I can't remember how you get the 6 custom mercs off the start. Is there a trick to this?

I distinctly remember being able to create 6 IMP guys from the get go, but I could not get it to work.

El Mucho on
    BNet: ElMucho#1392
    Origin: theRealElMucho
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    El Mucho wrote: »
    After reading this damn thread I had to reinstall JA2 last night. I downloaded 1.13, but I can't remember how you get the 6 custom mercs off the start. Is there a trick to this?

I distinctly remember being able to create 6 IMP guys from the get go, but I could not get it to work.

I believe you get an email. Did you go to the MERC website?

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Yeah I was able to create a single merc, but it wouldn't let me create the other 5. Not sure what I am supposed to do.

El Mucho on
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    if you like heroes of might and magic you should get king's bounty, plenty of fun tactical times to be had there

plus its conveniently on sale for a ridiculous price on steam right now

king's bounty + the expansion pack for $11.25
    just king's bounty for $4.99

heres a random battle from the game, to see what its about. basically its a lot like HOMM, both in battle and out of battle.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuFebXMbk6w

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Yeah I was able to create a single merc, but it wouldn't let me create the other 5. Not sure what I am supposed to do.

You just go back to the website and make a new one. It may be a setting in the 1.13 ini file, though.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    SammyF wrote: »
    SWAT 4 is a great shooter, but for my money, SWAT 3 was better as far as the tactics aspect went. The graphics weren't as good, but the training kill house thing was better at learning movement and precision, and also the game came with helpful little videos that you could watch to explain to you what a two-man or four-man group is supposed to do when it enters and clears a room -- very helpful when you want to know which angles are going to get covered and what generally you should do with your ass so that you don't impede the team.

Also: breaklights. Pepper spray is nice addition and all, but they took out the breaklights in SWAT 4. When you think you've finished a map but the game is telling you, "Um, no, you missed a hostage, go back and find her," breaklights make it so much easier to figure out which rooms you searched and which ones you forgot. Just drop a breaklight by the doorway as you're leaving and move on.

...of course, on the downside, on the hardest difficulty setting sometimes the AI would shoot at and kill you before it had finished excuting the "level weapon and aim" animation, which is pretty suck-tastic in a game where you're only authorized to fire on actively hostile enemies.

Well SWAT 4 didn't have the videos and stuff, but they brought the break-lights back in with Stechkov Syndicate. They make a nice satisfying sound when you drop one.

All the original missions can be played with the new equipment too, although it's a little awkward to do it. Basically all the missions are available to make your own custom missions from, so you take all the missions from SWAT 4 and make a custom mission pack with them whilst telling it to use the campaign defaults. Then you can play through the SWAT 4 campaign with access to all the hardware.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

You just go back to the website and make a new one. It may be a setting in the 1.13 ini file, though.

Yeah, you have to edit things in the 1.13 .ini. There is a hugeass guide to what changes you can make in the .ini and what they do. I'll try to find it, even though the .ini is pretty self-explanatory.

Edit: Here it is.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    So, what with all this talk ...

... I'm gonna be installing JA2 again, aren't I? Trying out this fan patch for the first time?

Dammit, I'm working through a ridiculous backlog already!

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I'm more inclining towards "Rainbow 6: Before they were popular" edition. But I doubt I'll do that, there's enough on my plate and ME2 is dropping in a couple of weeks.

Fortunately I've still got SWAT 4 installed if I feel like doing some co-op cult raiding.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    subedii wrote: »
    I'm more inclining towards "Rainbow 6: Before they were popular" edition.

That also sounds absolutely delicious. I am *so* behind in my consumption of Tom Clancy SFPSes. Dash it all.

Valkyria Chronicals, MAG, FF9, FF10, FF12, X3:TC, Dragon Age, Batman:AA, Bayonetta, Darksiders, Etrian Odyssey II, WoW, a wife to keep happy ... I'm swamped. But at least I have my health, right?

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Yeah, you have to edit things in the 1.13 .ini. There is a hugeass guide to what changes you can make in the .ini and what they do. I'll try to find it, even though the .ini is pretty self-explanatory.

Sweet, thanks very much. Now to sink many many hours back into this game.

The first time I ever played I remember I got pretty far, but when the bugs showed up it killed it for me. I am hoping that I can beat it this time around.

El Mucho on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Sweet, thanks very much. Now to sink many many hours back into this game.

The first time I ever played I remember I got pretty far, but when the bugs showed up it killed it for me. I am hoping that I can beat it this time around.

You mean the sci-fi bugs? Turn that shit off, man. Use the Realistic setting. I've never even seen them.

If you mean software bugs, then all I can say is with the 1.13 mod, I don't remember hitting many. Nothing that ruined it, anyway.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Yeah sci-fi bugs. The first time I played I was steam rolling my way through the game and then the bugs invaded Drassen and I was fucked.

I do play on realistic now but I have never been able to re-create the awesome that I had going in that very first game I played.

Also I read on that INI settings link that there was extra shit sci-fi mode adds, does anyone know what else it adds?

El Mucho on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    whoa wait bugs? really? jesus christ.

i left it on sci fi mode because that was the default, i figured i might get lasers or something.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    whoa wait bugs? really? jesus christ.

i left it on sci fi mode because that was the default, i figured i might get lasers or something.

You can find Rocket Rifles (or something like that) in later areas. And there's a cyborg you can find somewhere as well, though that's pretty rare. Maybe one or two other changes, I can't remember.

I actually enjoyed the aside with the giant bugs myself.

subedii on