As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Archer: BACK!!!!

• Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    Whorediot.

Also,
    Ray, you already had the chair.

• Options
    DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    There were a couple of Sealab references. Like the "Ow, my eye!" and "Ow, my other eye!", which actually sort of sounded like Quinn...

I'm going to have to watch the encore showing of the episode though because I missed the last 5 minutes because of a call. Bah.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Krieger is awesome.

• Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    "NOW who's got a vagina problem?"
    "Me!"

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Krieger!

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Krieger isn't even in the episode and STILL gets the best lines.

• Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    Haha, Sealab reference. Pod 6 was jerks!

God, I hate pod 6.

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    _J_ wrote: »

God, I hate pod 6.

I don't even know why we have a Pod 6. Total suck pod

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Watching the episode right now

Nice reference to the lifter from Aliens in the beginning

EDIT: oh man that was a fun episode

Kana on
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Totally lost my mind when Barry and other-Barry showed up.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    SparvySparvy Registered User regular
    Was that last line a "Do androids dream of electric sheep" reference? I probably wouldn't have noticed it but the entire episode was so full of sci-fi and dystopian references it might just have been.

• Options
    Mr ObersmithMr Obersmith Registered User regular
    edited March 2012

Glad I'm not the only one who caught that. Funny story, there was a guild on my WoW server named Pod 6. I partied with one of their members at some point and said "Pod 6 are jerks". He obviously didn't understand the reference and thought I was insulting his guild.

Mr Obersmith on
    Battle.net - Obersmith#1709
    Live - MrObersmith
    PSN - Obersmith
  • Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    Man, that was a lot of references in 26 minutes. I think the comedy suffered a little bit for him to cram all those in and complete the story, but I love how Archer really stretched its legs this season. I could have sworn initially that Trish was Jane Kaczmarek and they were doing some kind of weird Malcolm in the Middle homage in space, but later lines from Trish didn't sound so much like her, and she wasn't listed as a special like Cranston, so I was probably making connections where they didn't exist. Still, good stuff.

• Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    I could have sworn initially that Trish was Jane Kaczmarek and they were doing some kind of weird Malcolm in the Middle homage in space, but later lines from Trish didn't sound so much like her, and she wasn't listed as a special like Cranston, so I was probably making connections where they didn't exist.

I actually thought it was Trinette (aka Maggie Wheeler, aka Janice from Friends) with nearly all traces of her usual accent removed but I'm probably wrong.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    I was really sad that Archer didn't get to fight to the death with Barry using the powerlifter.

But now Barry is stuck in space forever. So hah!

• Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    I smell spinoff!!!

Barry Dylan...of MARS.

• Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Great finish.

I loved how they defended their obscure references with "Read a book sometime!"

So what's Kreiger doing with all that Archer blood? More clones?
    SammyF wrote: »
    In fact, if Archer was a verb, that would be the exact nature of the action the verb would describe.

Archer is a verb. Hence, "How to Archer".

BubbaT on
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    stupid pod six.

So, so, so many low key star wars references as well. Hilarious about "Im not going in there it smells like garbage, lets just run away"

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    stupid pod six.

So, so, so many low key star wars references as well. Hilarious about "Im not going in there it smells like garbage, lets just run away"

I liked Pam's "boring conversation anyway".

I wasn't sure about Cyril's "Almost there!" It's the same thing Red Leader says during his Death Star trench run, but I'm wondering if that's a little too obscure even for Archer.

What am I saying? It's Archer, it's probably exactly what Reed meant.

Also, Barry's helmet looked a lot like Luke's helmet with the yellow-tinted visor and white dome, and was just missing the Rebel Alliance paint job.

luke_sm.jpg

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    safe_image.php?d=AQBlVFhoAPOojzBS&url=http%3A%2F%2Fi1.ytimg.com%2Fvi%2FdDH9Jq5AWkQ%2Fhqdefault.jpg

best way to instigate a fight ever.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    The best was Archer's reaction after wishing for alcohol the whole episode

"Are those beer bottles?!?"

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    It's sad that the season is over :( I want more Archer!

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Kana wrote: »
    The best was Archer's reaction after wishing for alcohol the whole episode

"Are those beer bottles?!?"

I almost expected a 'did you bring beer bottles into space just to do that bit?' line.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Second part didn't quite live up to the first (as is so often the case), but still a fairly worthy season finale.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »

Let's kidnap all people involved with the show and force our new prisoners to craft more episodes.

• Options
    farbekriegfarbekrieg Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »

Let's kidnap all people involved with the show and force our new prisoners to craft more episodes.

we would need some sort of location to hold them... does anyone have a pirate island?

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »

"And the black guy is ok with this? What? How is that racist?!" :D

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    haha, pod six

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I feel like they started doing some interesting things with the characters the last few weeks.

Archer had several moments of "self-awareness" and at least temporary character development, which we hadn't really seen in a while as he reverted back to pretty much the normal season 1/early season 2 Archer after getting over the trauma of Katya's death.

Lana, as already mentioned, was really the butt monkey of the finale two-parter, spending all of part 1 spacesick and useless and all of part 2 having people make fun of her supposedly saggy boobs. A huge reversal (especially the former) from her usual role as the most well-adjusted and competent ISIS employee (relatively speaking).

Starting with her mistaken kidnapping, Pam has gotten a nice little run of moments of glory here and there, from showing off her drift racing skills, to going into lock-and-load mode and ambushing Drake this week, to having an affair with Archer and having the self-esteem (?) to not give a shit if he's ashamed of her. She's made some progress from just being fat and gossipy at the beginning of the show, to fat, gossipy, and horny by the middle, to fat, gossipy, horny and kinda badass now.

All of these developments I enjoyed. I am a little less sanguine on what seems like a subtle shift in Cheryl's character, or perhaps just a shift in the way they're using her. When she's only in the office, her being dumb and spacy and crazy is hilarious to me. But when her being dumb and spacy and crazy is written to have more of a direct effect on the plot - as in her liaison with Barry or when she's actually "in the field" like in the finale - I find she starts to irritate me a little, especially when you throw in the imperious monomaniacal streak we've been seeing more and more since it was revealed her family is loaded.

Broadly speaking, I'd say after three seasons the biggest change the show has undergone is that it went from being primarily about at most three or four characters (Archer, Lana, and Cyril or Mallory taking turns as the third point of one type or another of love triangle) to being much more of an ensemble show. Pam, Cheryl, and Ray have all gotten episodes in the spotlight now and they interact with the main characters and participate in the plot in general much more now instead of just contributing one-liners in office scenes or having an occasional cutaway subplot. The two-part finale, obviously, had pretty much every named ISIS employee, except for Krieger (and Brett!...and I guess Bilbo) all together.

As far as hopes for season 4 go...to be honest, I hope we don't see Barry for a while. He is supposed to be marooned on a space station, after all, and while I guess technically he only had a run of about four consecutive episodes at the end of the season where he appeared I was starting to get a little Barry-fatigued. Keeping him off the radar for a while, on the other hand, leaves a nice opening for a reappearance of Conway Stern (who, as you may recall, we were assured we had not seen the last of, and which you may also recall is not his real name). In spite of what I said earlier about it being good for Pam's character, I hope they drop or wrap up the subplot of her as Archer's fuck-buddy. There doesn't really seem to be much else you can do with it, since Archer's seeming epiphany when he fails to save his maybe-father's life because he snuck off for a ride on the ol' Moped came to nothing.

In conclusion, some highlight moments for me from last night's episode:

"He broke both of Woo's arms. While yelling 'WOO!'"
    "Happy coincidence."
    "Boring conversation anyway."
    “Turn around? It’s not like we all haven’t seen them before.”
    “Couple things. One, I didn’t invent whatever this door’s made of which is apparently some alloy of adamantium and mithril, and two, not really liking your tone.”
    OKAY, you’re the prettiest. Come on!”
    “Every time y’all fight he beats you like the red-headed stepchild of a rented mule.”
    "HA! NOW who's got a vagina problem?"
    "...Me."
    "EWWWWWW."

Gaslight on
  • Options
    valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    what did you do to my OTHER eye. best reference EVER. EVER.

who built this door, space dwarves? **dead**

• Options
    kildykildy Registered User regular
    I really appreciated the sudden character growth of Archer when turning down the Barry fight. And the rapid return to normal 15 seconds after.

• Options
    DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    "Sparks... can I marry people?"

• Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    Normally I don't care for barry, but I loved him in this episode. From the frank sinatra spoof the the aliens robot, I thought he was classic.

I also loved how amped archer was to do such a cliche fight.

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    "YOUR MOTHER DOES!"

• Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I can't decide if Wee Baby Seamus or Babou is more awesome.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular

That's...hard to call.

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular

That's...hard to call.

Is the Wee Baby Seamus crepuscular?

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Podly wrote: »
    Normally I don't care for barry, but I loved him in this episode. From the frank sinatra spoof the the aliens robot, I thought he was classic.

I wonder if the Sinatra spoof was a NGE spoof. maybe if his ship turned into a giant robot. (nge is a super depressing sci-fi/coming of age/religious anime where each of the 26 episodes had a different cover of "fly me to the moon"

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Podly wrote: »

I wonder if the Sinatra spoof was a NGE spoof. maybe if his ship turned into a giant robot. (nge is a super depressing sci-fi/coming of age/religious anime where each of the 26 episodes had a different cover of "fly me to the moon"

no it wasn't. It was that or Rocket Man.

If it was an NGE reference it would have been a reference to NGE not a popular song that happens to be in the end credits.

• Options
    farbekriegfarbekrieg Registered User regular
    For a two parter with bryan cranston i was hoping for something funnier, but ill have to accept tying up the season nicely.

Barry and other barry are kind of growing on me, because we have sewn the wind and now we must reap.... the barry!

Unlike certain other animated funny shows i look forward to seeing more next year.

<id like to see pam get a real bf and cause some archer pam fricition.... if ya know what i mean;)>
    I call it the MOAB effect