As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Archer: BACK!!!!

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    a green russian is basically two or three cocktails in one glass. maybe four. absinthe is very strong.

that would be super dangerous if it ends up tasting really good. i could see the creme de menthe cutting the anise well enough to make it more palatable, but if you don't like black licorice you'll probably still not finish your glass.

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    absinthe and dairy sounds fucking terrible

ed: also not sure what the vodka in that mix is really for, aside from making the drink stronger than it has any reason to be

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    The hangover would probably be fatal. And if you happen to hork its going to get ugly.

• JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    absinthe and dairy sounds fucking terrible

ed: also not sure what the vodka in that mix is really for, aside from making the drink stronger than it has any reason to be

the vodka is to make is some kind of "russian"

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Speaking of the Archer book, it's fantastic. Lots of laugh out moments and it captures his voice perfectly.

• BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    As a fan of the Green Fairy, I can't see wasting good Absinthe to make a Green Russian. The powerful herbal notes, mixed with the cloying sweetness of heavy cream would most assuredly lead (in my case, anyway) to projectile vomiting of the highest order.

Although they have been a part of some of my favorite Archer episodes (Swiss Miss and Crossing Over).

A running theme throughout How to Archer is that he uses super-premium ingredients to make everything. So he'd definitely be using top-shelf absinthe in cocktails.

And since light ruins absinthe, you should only buy it in bottles that are black, or a slightly darker black.

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    the recipe with in a different copper-bottomed pan for every step is p great

• ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Eggs Woodhouse. When done properly, a single serving should cost $130 to make. (I forget the exact value)

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Just got it on my Kindle. Amazing.

Someone tell me there's an audio book of HTA out, or coming out, read by Benjamin. Because it's literally the most perfect book ever to make an audio version of.

• SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    BubbaT wrote: »
    Someone tell me there's an audio book of HTA out, or coming out, read by Benjamin. Because it's literally the most perfect book ever to make an audio version of.

Only if he promises to read it drunk.

Yes, yes, he could "act" like he's drunk, but that's beneath him. Dude is method.

Hmm, how do they handle reading footnotes in audio books? Because half the fun of How to Archer is the footnotes, which I can't really figure out how to integrate verbally.

That said, I'd still listen to it. I'd even buy a copy of "H. Jon Benjamin reads the White Pages" if they had it.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Hmm, how do they handle reading footnotes in audio books? Because half the fun of How to Archer is the footnotes, which I can't really figure out how to integrate verbally.

That said, I'd still listen to it. I'd even buy a copy of "H. Jon Benjamin reads the White Pages" if they had it.

The shortened audio version of David Foster Wallace's "Consider the Lobster" has footnotes (since DFW loves footnotes, as well as flowcharts); when the author is reading a footnote they use a sort of muffling filter to make his voice sound a little softer and different (like tiny text). He has a special bit about it at he beginning of the audiobook, about how it's not ideal but the footnotes are really necessary. They break it up a little but not too much.

Also the audiobook version of "Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell" just has the author break-off midsentence and go "Footnote 12: <footnote text>". It's a little more disruptive but only because more of those footnotes are in the middle of sentences and some of them go on for paragraphs.

• SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    I'm engrossed in how to archer

can you feel the struggle within?

Maybe integrate them as verbal asides?

"(Text)... funny story... (footnote)"
    or
    "(Text)... speaking of which... (footnote)"

The whole book is pretty conversational in tone, which helps.

Though personally I just read the footnotes as they're referenced in the main text, and it all flows pretty well. The footnotes are mostly punchlines anyways. I wouldn't even reference them as footnotes, I'd just integrate them into the text as if it were written that way. For example:
    But I never - ever - eat lunch at home. (92)
    ________
    (92) Because I don't have a vagina.

I would just have Benjamin read the "vagina" line right after the "at home" line.

I'd pay just to hear him read the last footnote in the book. All of it.

I'm imagining it all being done in one breath as well.

I know I'm not adding anything, but how to archer is shit hot. I was actually looking for a bespoke tailor recently but now I simply must expedite the process.

The book is delightful.

• KirbithKirbith I appear to be made of delicious cake. Registered User regular
    You guys all being so enthusiastic about How to Archer has made me buy the book.

Can't wait til it gets here Saturday! I have a feeling it will exceed expectations.

Backloggery | Steam - Kirbith | PSN - Kirbith | 3DS: 4957-2249-4817
    Mrs. Crawfish, who rolled her eyes when my book came in, keeps reading it a bit at a time and comes to tell me how funny it is, every time.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I like the chapter on stellar navigation

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Cobras is the best chapter.

edited April 2012
    The funniest part for me was the Steve Miller bit where he says (paraphrasing) that worst thing you may have to do is describe what a pompatus is. I literally laughed out loud while waiting to board a plane.

Also, the book feels like the output of someone funny spending a week on Wikipedia fucking around and then writing it all down.

Which is exactly what it is, I think.

Six on
    Six wrote: »
    Also, the book feels like the output of someone funny spending a week on Wikipedia fucking around and then writing it all down.

I'd bet that Adam Reed would absolutely destroy some people on Celebrity Jeopardy.

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular

I'd bet that Adam Reed would absolutely destroy some people on Celebrity Jeopardy.

Funny people ALWAYS do. It's great watching comedians just utterly annihilate news anchors.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    The funniest part for me was the Steve Miller bit where he says (paraphrasing) that worst thing you may have to do is describe what a pompatus is. I literally laughed out loud while waiting to board a plane.

I'm not surprised, because Adam Reed says that's his writing process for the show.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »

I'm not surprised, because Adam Reed says that's his writing process for the show.

how else would you know the discoverer of blood types while not knowing your blood type

Funny people ALWAYS do. It's great watching comedians just utterly annihilate news anchors.

Man, Wolf's face at the pity dollars.

• Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    Archer won "Best Animated Comedy Series" at The Comedy Awards last night. I'm...not entirely sure what The Comedy Awards are (I guess it's only the 2nd year), but, hey, recognition!

• DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Archer won "Best Animated Comedy Series" at The Comedy Awards last night. I'm...not entirely sure what The Comedy Awards are (I guess it's only the 2nd year), but, hey, recognition!

Better question from that site is, what the hell is "The Life and Times of Tim" and how is it in the same category as Archer and South Park?

• EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »

Better question from that site is, what the hell is "The Life and Times of Tim" and how is it in the same category as Archer and South Park?

A better question is how Simpsons and Family Guy got nominated and not Bob's Burgers or American Dad. Or Futurama or Ugly Americans, though they might be disqualified for being on the same network. Or ... hmm, what Adult Swim stuff were even new in the last year? Frankenhole, I guess?

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • OSUJumpManOSUJumpMan Registered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »

The Life and Times of Tim is an animated show on HBO. For the brief period where I had HBO it was quite funny. It's actually kind of similar to Ugly Americans, but you know, without the supernatural hellish landscape. Just a regular NYC hellish landscape.

camo_sig2.png
    I don't think anyone takes The Comedy Awards seriously. After South Park won it last year, they basically said the whole thing was a sham.
    Matt Stone and Trey Parker put it best, saying: "Winning this award feels like being student of the month and your mom’s the teacher," after accepting their award for best animated series.

• Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    I don't think anyone takes The Comedy Awards seriously. After South Park won it last year, they basically said the whole thing was a sham.
    Matt Stone and Trey Parker put it best, saying: "Winning this award feels like being student of the month and your mom’s the teacher," after accepting their award for best animated series.

Well they did a whole episode about how stupid comedy awards are ("If you need an award, it means you take your comedy seriously, which means it's not comedy..."). I guess it was based off winning that :P

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    oh man i just rewatched archer from the beginning over the past couple of weeks

fell in love all over again

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Thursday, January 17 return date. Still 10 PM.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    Seeing this thread pop back up made me feel concerned that I was potentially missing new Archer right this very moment.

But now I can put it in my calendar! Thanks Bum!

This is literally the definition of appointment television.

edited January 2013
    Less than a week!

Anyone get the S3 DVD/Blu? There are a few more extras this time around. This season has 3 commentaries, but they pretty much don't talk about the episode (or even the show in general) at all; it's just Adam Reed and whatever cast members are there shooting the shit for 22 minutes about whatever, though the Reed/Jessica Walter one drops a sorta-spoiler about a S4 episode's plotline.

There's also an option to watch Heart of Archness edited together as a single one hour episode. Some reviews say there's extra material in it, but I haven't confirmed it yet.

Captain Tragedy on
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Less than a week!

Anyone get the S3 DVD/Blu? There are a few more extras this time around. This season has 3 commentaries, but they pretty much don't talk about the episode (or even the show in general) at all; it's just Adam Reed and whatever cast members are there shooting the shit for 22 minutes about whatever, though the Reed/Jessica Walter drops a sorta-spoiler about a S4 episode's plotline.

There's also an option to watch Heart of Archness edited together as a single one hour episode. Some reviews say there's extra material in it, but I haven't confirmed it yet.

Now I must have this.

Honestly 22 minutes of Adam Reed and the cast just yammering back and forth sounds awesome.

Less than a week!

Anyone get the S3 DVD/Blu? There are a few more extras this time around. This season has 3 commentaries, but they pretty much don't talk about the episode (or even the show in general) at all; it's just Adam Reed and whatever cast members are there shooting the shit for 22 minutes about whatever, though the Reed/Jessica Walter drops a sorta-spoiler about a S4 episode's plotline.

Now I must have this.

Honestly 22 minutes of Adam Reed and the cast just yammering back and forth sounds awesome.

They actually are pretty entertaining - it's just that if you're looking for some (or any) info about the actual making of the show, well, you're not going to get it.

• DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    Mine is being shipped right now, along with the How To Archer book.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth