As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Alcohol] II: This Time, It's DRUNKER

• Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Verr wrote: »
    This weekend I tried a Canadian beer, though it may have just been branding. Lambatt's or something similar? It was very similar to, to... Bud Light?

Labatt Blue, yes, it's basically the Bud Light of canuckistanian beers. Sleeman's is our mass market 'good' beer, and secretly just like in America you've got to go to the local breweries for the really good stuff.

Robman on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Joolander:

Thanks for the couple extra suggestions. I actually just got a Sam Adam's Boston lager last night which I really did like a lot, i'll definately go and check out the ones you mentioned.

Also, today my roomate and I picked up a 6 pack of 1554. Pretty good though it had an interesting aftertaste that neither he nor i could place.

Fancy beer suggestions are definately welcome but 1) I haven't had enough beer to understand what makes them fancy and 2) i'm a college student so depending on their cost a 6-8 dollar 6-pack sounds much better than the 12 + dollar ones. I'll probably check them out eventually, but they definately won't be the first on my list.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Nappuccino wrote: »
    Joolander:

Thanks for the couple extra suggestions. I actually just got a Sam Adam's Boston lager last night which I really did like a lot, i'll definately go and check out the ones you mentioned.

Also, today my roomate and I picked up a 6 pack of 1554. Pretty good though it had an interesting aftertaste that neither he nor i could place.

Fancy beer suggestions are definately welcome but 1) I haven't had enough beer to understand what makes them fancy and 2) i'm a college student so depending on their cost a 6-8 dollar 6-pack sounds much better than the 12 + dollar ones. I'll probably check them out eventually, but they definately won't be the first on my list.

As a college student, the way that i justify the expensive stuff is that if i was going to go to a bar, i would drop 3-4 dollars on a drink anyway... and that is at a cheap bar in Virginia. In a real city its going to be a lot more.

That being said, the thing that makes a fancy beer fancy is basically two things

1. Quality Ingredients

2. Personal Brewing

Only the second really needs to be expanded upon. Basically craft beers come in all shapes and sizes for all times, people, and tastes. Fancy beer is typically more "X" where X is whatever specific style or flavor, or texture or whatever that is aimed for. Fancy beers range from your standard crisp lager to chocolate stouts to hop bombs to barley wines. Each one will placate a specific person at a specific time for a specific purpose.

Is it a lazy summer afternoon? Well then you probably want a lager. Are you serving desert? Well then that super-chocolaty stout might go well. Are you serving arrogant bastards who hate the faintest sweet in their beer? A hop bomb will go well. Are you serving a fancy stew? Well that barley wine might go well[as might a porter]

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    FubearFubear Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    What are your opinions on the Mojito?
    I had my doubts, but goddamn, if the recipe ratio (1 1/2 oz soda to 1 oz rum) that I found is close to what I had, I have a new favorite drink. And to think, it was concocted by Cubans/Cuban immigrants to make rum (something I don't usually drink) taste good in a cocktail.

Anyone know of a solid recipe?

How the hell do you get fresh mint (ie, not half-wilted) in New England during the winter?

Fubear on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    No, but its also good if you make it with Gin instead

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So last night and milk and honey, I struck up a conversation with the bartender and he made my gf a aviation number one, which uses creme de violette. I mentioned creme yvette, and his eyes lit up. He asked if he could make me a cocktail using creme yvette. I said "wait, how do you have creme yvette, they haven't made that in like 100 years." He produced this old brown bottle, where the label was falling apart and made me a cocktail with rye, real creme yvette, dry vermouth, and a nice big lemon peel. I was pretty astonished.

I wonder what other ancient liquors are floating around NYC...

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Podly wrote: »
    So last night and milk and honey, I struck up a conversation with the bartender and he made my gf a aviation number one, which uses creme de violette. I mentioned creme yvette, and his eyes lit up. He asked if he could make me a cocktail using creme yvette. I said "wait, how do you have creme yvette, they haven't made that in like 100 years." He produced this old brown bottle, where the label was falling apart and made me a cocktail with rye, real creme yvette, dry vermouth, and a nice big lemon peel. I was pretty astonished.

So when I get all medical doctored I think I'm going to get cross appointed to a research hospital around NYC just so that I can go out in this wondrous bar scene.

Robman on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Robman wrote: »

So when I get all medical doctored I think I'm going to get cross appointed to a research hospital around NYC just so that I can go out in this wondrous bar scene.

PDT
    Little Branch
    Milk and Honey
    Death and Co

in that order

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Supposedly it's back in manufacture.

http://www3.timeoutny.com/newyork/the-feed-blog/restaurants-bars/2009/04/booze-beat-welcome-creme-yvette-st-germains-purple-cousin/

Whether or not it's the authentic recipe who knows.

Cervetus on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Cervetus wrote: »
    Supposedly it's back in manufacture.

Whether or not it's the authentic recipe who knows.

Yes, I'm familiar. It's made by the same guy who makes St. Germaine, so it's probably decent. I've heard he had a bit of trouble really getting the taste exact, but it's supposed to be much closer to the original (i.e., much more berry and vanilla) than the revival of creme de violette by Roman.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Just made a Vieaux Carre Cocktail. (3/4 oz Rye, Cognac, Sweet Vermouth, 1/4 oz Benedictine, dash of Angostura bitters, dash of Peychaud's Bitters, Twist.) I substituted Calvados for Cognac, and went a little bit more heavy on the peychaud's and less on the Benedictine. Turned out ok. A little apply from the calvados, but other than that it's a pretty crisp cocktail. Very herbacious, with the vermouth, peychaud's, and benedictine.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    TheMarshalTheMarshal Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I happened upon some Skyy 90 vodka a few months ago, and found that it made a fantastic vodka martini. Smooth, clean, and packing quite a wallop. Unfortunately I've yet to find it in stores since that time, and only one bar that I've been to carried it.

TheMarshal on
  • Options
    PixelMonkeyPixelMonkey Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    What you guys recommend for a dark lager?

PixelMonkey on
  • Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'd say Brooklyn's or Full Sail's LTD #2, but I'm not sure if they have either of those in your neck of the woods.

The Judge on
    Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Well that's a specious fucking comment, what do you like in a beer, a dark beer, and a dark lager in particular?

Robman on
  • Options
    RichardTauberRichardTauber Kvlt Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'd definitely recommend a dark lager if you want a dark lager. Close your eyes and pick one. Most of them are fine. The mainstream alternative is Staropramen.

RichardTauber on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Rye! Rye! Rye!

The Sazerac 18 was named the best rye in the world by Jim Murray, topping the Ardberg Supernova

http://cocktailenthusiast.com/2009/12/01/whisky-bible-names-sazerac-rye-worlds-best-whiskey/

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    PixelMonkeyPixelMonkey Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Well that's a specious fucking comment, what do you like in a beer, a dark beer, and a dark lager in particular?

Sorry kind of new to the whole beer thing. I am a fan of Matso's Brewery Smokey Bishop Dark Lager.

PixelMonkey on
  • Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    I just tried some Shiner Bock for the first time (sober) and it is really good beer for the price. I paid $5.50 for a 6 pack this is ridiculous.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Picked up a bottle of Rothman's Creme de Violette, St. Germaine, and Bulldog gin today.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Suggestion time! I'm very picky and don't drink much. I would like to branch out a bit.

Things I like: Bourbon (Bookers, Hudson, Red Stag), this one single malt scotch I had once

Things I know I don't like: Any beer I've had so far, Gin, super sweet candy like drinks, most mixed drinks (I don't like tasting something + alcohol, if the tastes are clearly distinguishable it's not gonna fly)

That's all I got, hit me!

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    What about bourbons do you like? What about beer don't you like? What did you like about the scotch? Is any alcohol taste a deal-breaker for you?

Robman on
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    What about bourbons do you like? What about beer don't you like? What did you like about the scotch? Is any alcohol taste a deal-breaker for you?

Beer always tastes really bitter... i think that's the point though, I don't like that.

Alcohol taste is not a deal breaker, else I wouldn't be drinking straight bourbon! I've had one scotch I didn't like much but the good scotch had a very interesting flavor, I don't really know how else to describe it. Also it's very warming.

Bourbon is the same, a very interesting flavor and it feels nice going down. I wish i could describe better what I like about the flavor but it's just so unique. I like the Red Stag because... mmmmmmm Cherry is delicious.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    DaemonSadi wrote: »

Beer always tastes really bitter... i think that's the point though, I don't like that.

Alcohol taste is not a deal breaker, else I wouldn't be drinking straight bourbon! I've had one scotch I didn't like much but the good scotch had a very interesting flavor, I don't really know how else to describe it. Also it's very warming.

Bourbon is the same, a very interesting flavor and it feels nice going down. I wish i could describe better what I like about the flavor but it's just so unique. I like the Red Stag because... mmmmmmm Cherry is delicious.

I just got on the Red Stag bandwagon and I hate Bourbon. This thing is a great mixer and even good neat. The Bourbon traditionalist will say it is too sweet (not medicinal though, I haven't heard that), but compared to White Label and Bourbon in general, what isn't sweet? Red Stag is pretty much one of the best and most effective novelty liquors that has been created and gets people drinking a product they already make.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    ThaumaturgistThaumaturgist Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    DaemonSadi wrote: »

I'm getting the idea that you like sweeter tasting alcohol? I recommend Buffalo Trace bourbon if you haven't already tried it. I drink it a lot in the winter.

As far as beer and bitterness is concerned, not all beer is super bitter. Some varieties of beer with low AAU variety hops aren't bitter at all to me. I assume you've mostly had pilsners, so maybe consider something like an English mild, or some of the darker ales that are usually less hop-heavy.

Thaumaturgist on
    XBL: Abiff PSN: Thaumaturgist
    http://www.suboptimist.com
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    You can get fruit flavoured wheat beers that are absolutely delicious.

Robman on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Belgians are typically pretty sweet[Ommegang's Quadrupple is sweet and potent]. Browns are typically pretty sweet. As is Young's Chocolate Stout.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Stella Artois: Good, Bad, or Meh?

Joolander on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Joolander wrote: »

Meh. There are other things I'd much rather drink and most bars usually have it.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    So I'm on a waiting list to get a bottle of next year's sazerac 18.

Ballin'!

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    musanmanmusanman Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    mrt144 wrote: »

Meh. There are other things I'd much rather drink and most bars usually have it.

agreed, I think it'd advertised as the greatest high class beer and most people who drink it buy into that too much

it's decent, there are plenty of other things to enjoy

musanman on
    sic2sig.jpg
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Good if that's all that's on tap with domestic swill (I'm looking at you Budweiser).

Otherwise you can do better.

Peen on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    You can get fruit flavoured wheat beers that are absolutely delicious.

Hmm I tried a berry beer before and the first split second of it was good, and then I was overwhelmed by beeriness... maybe it just wasn't a good one.

And to the one who recommended it, I will look into that Buffalo Trace!

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    My first attempt at a rye smash went pretty well. Really tasty, but not as good as the ones I had at Little Branch and Milk and Honey. A little too much simple syrup, not enough mint and rye. Gonna go with a 2.5 oz pour of rye instead of a 2 oz.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    So i'm slowly getting my gf to like whiskey. Made her a bourbon sour (With egg white, of course) that she really liked, and she loved the rye smash last night. I'll have her sippin' my pappy van winkle 13 in no time.
    and then she'll try the rye too alololol

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    So i'm slowly getting my gf to like whiskey. Made her a bourbon sour (With egg white, of course) that she really liked, and she loved the rye smash last night. I'll have her sippin' my pappy van winkle 13 in no time.
    and then she'll try the rye too alololol

This just sounds wrong.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    docturknowlesdocturknowles Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm not a sophisticated alcohol drinker at all, my favorites are all pretty sugary - I even came up with a blended drink that has been a huge hit in the summer (might already be a drink, not sure):

1 part coconut rum
    2 parts white rum (white I think? Whatever the standard clear Bacardi is)
    1 part blue curacao
    1 part Grenadine
    1 part sprite
    1 part sour mix (I make my own, but I still cheat - just equal parts water, suger, lemon, and lime juice)

Like I said, super sweet. But lately I tried Wild Turkey - American Honey which I absolutely love and Captain Morgan Tattoo. A co-worker told me that Maker's Mark was a decent bourbon to try.

docturknowles on
  • Options
    mantidormantidor Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Opinions on absinthe? For my birthday we had two bottles with all my cousins, just to try. I liked it, I like anise flavored drinks because the local drink here is also anise flavored so I'm more familiar with it, but 90% is pushing it. We tried the whole "ritual" with the sugar and water, but the lack of proper equipment made our efforts useless. One thing for sure is I'll never drink it pure again. Oh and also, no green fairy.

mantidor on
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Follow up to mantidor's question, is American produced absinthe any good? I've not tried it but I'd love to, except that I don't want to end up with a bottle of something I hate.

Peen on
  • Options
    docturknowlesdocturknowles Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Speaking of owning a bottle of something you hate...

I bought a bartender's guide that had a neat little intro on the basics of a home bar and drinks you should learn how to make. A few of them involved an ingredient called "Campari" so I assumed this was a popular beverage and purchased a bottle.

Good God, I now know that Hell has a taste. Has anyone discovered a method for making Campari palatable?

docturknowles on
This discussion has been closed.