As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Alcohol] II: This Time, It's DRUNKER

• Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited March 2010
    Smokey-the-Bear-turns-65.jpg

YOU

need another drink my friend.

who's a little snacky?

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I've found the liquor mecca for my area.

A new store opened up not 5 minutes from me and my roomates house. They have such an amazing whiskey selection, it brings a tear to my eye. From 1/5th's of Famous Grouse for only 16 bucks, to 30+ year old single malts that need a 12 month financing option (i.e. a 1968 vintage of Glenmorangie for $900).

It's also the first time I've seen a store in the KC carry a decent selection of rye, they have Old Overholt, Rittenhouse 101, Rittenhouse 23 year old ($300, a little out of my range), Sazerac 6, etc...

I'm going to need a second job to afford my sure to increase drinking habit, but at least I can finally try out most of the recommendations in this thread :D

May my liver endure what I'm going to put it through over the next few months.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    The Raging PlatypusThe Raging Platypus Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So how much does the quality of vermouth matter in making a manhatten? I've been using an extra dry Martini and Rossi, and the resulting cocktail is....well, it's decent, but I'm thinking it could be better. I know Manhattens are suppose to use sweet vermouth, but I wanted to change it up for a little bit and see if it worked for me.

Or it could just be my formula:

4 oz. bourbon
    1.5 oz vermouth
    splash of bitters

The Raging Platypus on
    Quid wrote: »
    YOU'RE A GOD DAMN PLATYPUS.
    PSN Name: MusingPlatypus
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited March 2010
    So how much does the quality of vermouth matter in making a manhatten? I've been using an extra dry Martini and Rossi, and the resulting cocktail is....well, it's decent, but I'm thinking it could be better. I know Manhattens are suppose to use sweet vermouth, but I wanted to change it up for a little bit and see if it worked for me.

Or it could just be my formula:

4 oz. bourbon
    1.5 oz vermouth
    splash of bitters

it matters a whole lot. at least as much as the quality of the whiskey.

i strongly recommend you try to track down carpano antico vermouth. it's hard to find and relatively expensive - $30 per liter - but well worth it. make sure you refrigerate your vermouth after you open it, and i use a vacuum pump.

i'm going through a bottle of Vya sweet vermouth right now, and it's all right, but really i'm looking forward to dusting it so i can crack open a new bottle of carpano.

as for the formula, I usually do:
    2 oz whiskey
    1 oz sweet vermouth
    bitters.

This works for me.

I've tried the "perfect" Manhattan -

2 oz whiskey
    1/2 oz dry vermouth
    1/2 oz sweet vermouth
    bitters

but I'm not partial to dry vermouth i guess. It's all right if you like drier drinks or if you are using a sweet bourbon as your whiskey.

I don't recommend the "dry" manhattan. At least to me it feels thin.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    The Raging PlatypusThe Raging Platypus Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I think I'm with you on that, probably going to look for a bottle of that Carpano stuff the next time I'm around one of the better liquor stores in my area.

Also, thanks for the tip on the vacuum seal, don't know why I never thought of that before.

The Raging Platypus on
    Quid wrote: »
    YOU'RE A GOD DAMN PLATYPUS.
    PSN Name: MusingPlatypus
  • Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm drinking a Manhattan right now.

With Bulleit bourbon and Noilly Prat vermouth.

It is delicious.

shalmelo on
    Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Nothing to be ashamed of with NP sweet vermouth.

arguably M&R is better sweet vermouth, but NP is about the best I know of in terms of dry

Bulleit is a fine bourbon

cherry or twist?

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    RisenPhoenixRisenPhoenix SUPER HOTRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Goddamn I could go for a good Manhattan right about now.

I remember when 'Pure Blonde' was all the rage back in Australia when I was about 20. Low-Carb, Pale Lager pisswater. I would always drink Manhattans (Rocks/Twist) or G&T's. Fantastic ice-breaker;

"You're a poofter, look at your girly drink! Want an umbrella?"
    "You're drinking something called a 'Pure Blonde', I'm drinking what my Grandfather drank. Who's the poofter?"

RisenPhoenix on
  • Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Nothing to be ashamed of with NP sweet vermouth.

arguably M&R is better sweet vermouth, but NP is about the best I know of in terms of dry

Bulleit is a fine bourbon

cherry or twist?

Cherry - the bottle recommended twists, but I didn't notice that until after I got home, and cherries is what I have on hand. This is my first time trying Bulleit. Makers is usually my default for bourbon, but the Bulleit was on sale and was a few bucks cheaper this time around so I figured I'd try it out. Not too shabby...

shalmelo on
    Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Howdy, my fellow bacchanaliacs! Came up with this one tonight; probably going to wind up on the cocktail menu

L'Aventura
    1.5 oz bourbon
    1 oz cynar
    4 dashes orange bitters
    1 dash peychaud's bitters
    Splash of lemon juice

Stir over rocks in a double old-fashioned glass and serve with a lemon peel.

Quite a nice drink, if I do say so myself. The sweetness of the bourbon is balanced by the bitterness of the amaro, and the orange bitters help structure the drink.

Comments on the thread

Dolin is the best dry vermouth I know of, although vya is supposed to be quite good as well. The standard recipe for a manhattan, as will pointed out, is 2 oz whiskey to 1 oz sweet vermouth, with a few dashes angostura. Traditional garnish is a (real) maraschino cherry, or a brandy cherry. Dry vermouth and rye/bourbon just doesn't work -- dry vermouth is heavily floral, and against a whiskey backbone it ends up tasting more like rotten flowers than a fresh bouquet. Good sweet vermouth -- basically carpano -- is your best bet.

Also, here's my notes on my recent rye tasting; when I get unjailed, I'll make a big post of all the rye's I've had:

Pappy Van Winkle 13 Year Old Family Reserve
    Very apply bouquet, with lots of brown sugar notes. Body is bold and light, very robust and hot, with more slight apple notes. It has an excellent and muscular finish, which is tannic but not too woody, which it neither hot nor citric, aggressive but not overpowering. 13 years seems to be the perfect age for this rye -- it is extremely fresh and bold, but the aging helps give it some legs to make it an excellent sipping whiskey which I'd still love to use in a cocktail.

Sazerac 18 Year Old
    Absolutely gorgeous bouquet of citrus and bananas. (I let this one open up a bit longer than the recommended minute-per-year just because I was savoring the smell.) Tannic, acidic, and spicy palate with a nice body and residual sugar. The palate is super complex -- I don't think I could do a full analysis unless I went through a full bottle. It was extremely rewarding to savor. The finish is quite long, though not as long as a 21 or a 23 year old rye, but it citric and peppery, with velvety tannins and very little wood. This is, without a doubt, the best whiskey I have ever had.

Black Maple Hill 23 Year Old
    I let this bad boy open up for well over half an hour, because its palate was so aggressive and not at all approachable. It basically had no malt smell whatsoever -- it smelt like a barbecue, with all the wood and smoke. The taste was smoky, woody, tannic, and intense. No citrus or malt, and very little spice. While I enjoyed it, this isn't my idea of a rye, and I probably wouldn't want to own a bottle. 23 years seems to be too much for a rye. I enjoy the Vintage 21 -- mostly for the superb finish that the tannins from the barrel give, but the Vintage 21 just can't compare with the Sazerac 18 or even with the vigor of the Pappy.

Now I just need to trace down Lennell and see if I can't convince her to sell me one of her bottles of Red Hook Rye...

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Also, Kaiser Penguin posted the top ten rums from his discussions with other rum/tiki bloggers

Lemonhart 151
    Smith and Cross
    Zacapa 23
    Appleton V/X (or Extra
    Rhum Clement VSOP
    El Dorado 15
    Rhum Neisson Blanc
    El Dorado 3
    Rhum Barbancourt 8
    Wray and Nephew Overproof

Honorable Mention

Coruba
    Cruzan Blackstrap
    Kracken (or Old New Orleans Spiced)

And he posted a cocktail that might make Will cry

The Blowlamp

1oz Appleton Extra
    1oz Kraken
    1/2oz Wray and Nephew overproof
    1/4oz Fernet Branca
    1oz Dolin Blanc
    1oz grapefruit juice
    1/2oz lime juice
    1/2oz vanilla syrup
    1 dash Angostura bitters
    8 drops Herbsaint Legendre
    grapefruit twist, for garnish
    Shake with crushed ice, grab your scepter, and donate to a glass by casting Nailed to the Sky.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    That drink is ridiculous.

I made mai tais for frankie and myself last night and singapore slings for my party the other night. I'll probably keep messing with them on occasion, but overall the tiki-type drinks are just too fussy and too fruity for me.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Goddamn I could go for a good Manhattan right about now.

I remember when 'Pure Blonde' was all the rage back in Australia when I was about 20. Low-Carb, Pale Lager pisswater. I would always drink Manhattans (Rocks/Twist) or G&T's. Fantastic ice-breaker;

"You're a poofter, look at your girly drink! Want an umbrella?"
    "You're drinking something called a 'Pure Blonde', I'm drinking what my Grandfather drank. Who's the poofter?"

Heh, when I was in Australia, if you weren't drinking VB, you weren't drinking. I think I somehow actually grew to like it! Same goes for Tui in NZ. NZ beer was pretty piss-weak though. Not bad tasting, you just needed to drink a liter of it.

Podly - that Sazerac sounds delicious.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Also - just wanted to pimp this tasty cocktail my buddy found to feature on his blog!

The Rhodie!
    I love a good cocktail. Trouble is, it’s not always easy to find one. While there are now countless artisanal bars serving drinks of all varieties, both modern and old, the reality is that you can’t expect to find an outstanding cocktail at an average bar. Take for example the classic, whiskey sour. Order one up at your local neighborhood dive and your guaranteed to be poured a neon yellow concoction topped with an equally garish maraschino cherry. Odds are it will taste comparable to battery acid with a look and viscosity of Lysol – yes, I despise sours mix that much. Having endured my fair share of hangovers at the hands of these sickly sweet spirits, I’ve come to believe that that stuff might just be worse for you than the booze in the glass.

Enter, the Rhodie. A refreshing take on the old standby, but without a drop of sours mix in sight. Here, quality bourbon is shaken with fresh lemonade, tart Meyer lemon juice and a splash of grade-A maple syrup for a concoction that delivers all the sweet/sour qualities of the original. Served up and free of any of those formaldehyde cherries, the Rhodie is a pure expression of bright, refreshing lemon on a background of sweet, caramelized bourbon and maple syrup. One sip and you’ll have a hard time going out for drinks ever again.
    THE RHODIE

From Michael Bauer of The San Francisco Chronicle

It’s not difficult to make an expert cocktail at home. The better your ingredients are before they go into the shaker, the better you end product will be. All you need is good, clean-tasting ice, fresh homemade lemonade, ripe Meyer Lemons and top quality bourbon and maple syrup. If I want to get really fancy, I’ll strain my cocktail from the shaker through a fine mesh sieve in order to catch any stray pieces of ice or pulp. This produces a drink of superior texture and clarity. Still want an awesome drink but can’t be bothered to source the above mentioned ingredients? Grab yourself some store-bought lemonade, a couple of Eureka lemons grade-B maple syrup and any old bottle of whiskey and you’ll still have a better cocktail than what you’re likely to find in most bars. If you decide to go with conventional lemons, just be sure to adjust for their relative acidity by adding a splash more maple syrup for balance.
    INGREDIENTS:

* 2 ounces Bulleit bourbon (or other quality bourbon)
    * 1/2 ounce fresh squeezed Meyer lemon juice (see Note)
    * 1 1/2 teaspoons pure maple syrup, or more to taste
    * 2 ounces fresh lemonade

METHOD :

* Fill a cocktail shaker halfway full with ice.
    * Add all of the ingredients, secure the lid and shake vigorously for 30 seconds until the contents are frosty and iced cold.
    * Pour through a fine mesh sieve into a glass and serve immediately.

Makes 1 strong cocktail or two small

firewaterword on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    That Rhodie is very similar to the "Whiskey Cleanse" I was drinking (I've done the whiskey and gin cleanse). I put a dash of cayenne on top as a garnish, and didn't use lemonade.

The maple works well with the fresh lemon.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    My idea of a whiskey cleanse involves a toilet and a lot of cursing and horrible noises.

firewaterword on
  • Options
    JordanthehuttJordanthehutt Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    huh i didn't even know that powdered egg whites existed!

plus, making an egg white drink means I have an egg yold left over, which means i get to do a prarie oyster shot!

Is the prarie oyster tasty at all? I'm kind of curious about it.

Jordanthehutt on
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    when I read rhodie I said it "Roadie" in my head and assumed it involved Jack Daniels, hookers and barbiturates. I was disappointed.

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    made a martini last night with tanq 10, (boring) vermouth and I finally got myself some bitters. It was damn tasty, though I had to use a pasta strainer to strain it.

and is a dash of bitters like a dash of hotsauce? Like you tilt the bottle downwards and sort of make a throwing motion for a dash?

also, vermouth and bitters should be refrigerated right?

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    made a martini last night with tanq 10, (boring) vermouth and I finally got myself some bitters. It was damn tasty, though I had to use a pasta strainer to strain it.

and is a dash of bitters like a dash of hotsauce? Like you tilt the bottle downwards and sort of make a throwing motion for a dash?

Yep. It should come out in a more/less measured amount.

Vermouth, being a wine product, needs to be refrigerated. Bitters should be quite high in ABV and thus does not need to be refrigerated.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    that's weird. the auto check out machine didn't prompt me to show my ID when I bought the bitters. I guess the machine doesn't register it as alcohol?

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    that's weird. the auto check out machine didn't prompt me to show my ID when I bought the bitters. I guess the machine doesn't register it as alcohol?

Correct. Bitters are not distilled spirits, and most states have laws that require bitters to be differentiated from alcohol. Thus, even grocery stores that don't sell booze can sell bitters, and liquor stores are prohibited from selling bitters in most states.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    L'eclisse

1.5 oz. hine cognac
    .5 oz caprano antica rosso vermouth
    .25 oz kübler absinthe
    2 dashes fee's aromatic bitters
    1 dash grapefruit bitters
    Build over ice in a DOF glass and granish with a big peel of orange.

Pretty happy with it, though it needs tinkering. Really complex and boozy, though I can't help thinking that it would be better with a nice pepper rye.

edit* even 1/4 oz absinthe seems to be a bit too much. Should probably just do a rinse.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    huh i didn't even know that powdered egg whites existed!

plus, making an egg white drink means I have an egg yold left over, which means i get to do a prarie oyster shot!

Is the prarie oyster tasty at all? I'm kind of curious about it.

I kind of liked it! Worth a shot for you anyways.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010

did you get sweet or dry vermouth?

like was it clear or red?

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Podly wrote: »
    L'eclisse

1.5 oz. hine cognac
    .25 oz kübler absinthe

Pretty happy with it, though it needs tinkering. Really complex and boozy, though I can't help thinking that it would be better with a nice pepper rye.

edit* even 1/4 oz absinthe seems to be a bit too much. Should probably just do a rinse.

a bar i went to had eydroppers for their bitters and their absinthe. been thinking about picking one up for corpse revivers and monkey gland cocktails.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    L'eclisse

1.5 oz. hine cognac
    .25 oz kübler absinthe

a bar i went to had eydroppers for their bitters and their absinthe. been thinking about picking one up for corpse revivers and monkey gland cocktails.

Funny you should mention that. The drink also contains orange flower water, which I applied with an eye-dropper!

So while I don't think a drop of absinthe would be enough to cut through the cognac (although a few drops is perfect in a corpse reviver) yeah, it definitely needs to be way less absinthe.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    So, wine people, what's up with Italian pino grigio? What are good, affordable bottles to look for? Regions?

firewaterword on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    So, wine people, what's up with Italian pino grigio? What are good, affordable bottles to look for? Regions?

Pinot Grigio sucks. It sucks it sucks it sucks. Look for a nice Roero Arneis from peidmont or a Gavi di Gavi for a stony white Italian with good fruit. If you want something more stony, try an ovietto or a soave, or if you want something with more fruit try Falanghina.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010

Correct. Bitters are not distilled spirits, and most states have laws that require bitters to be differentiated from alcohol. Thus, even grocery stores that don't sell booze can sell bitters, and liquor stores are prohibited from selling bitters in most states.

Bitters are 45%, at least angostura bitters. It has to be distilled.

JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    bought some fancy french kirsch today and was trying to figure out what to do with it. i really have no idea what to do with an unaged fruit brandy. so i did this variant on the last word:

3/4 oz kirsch (instead of gin)
    3/4 oz cherry heering (instead of maraschino)
    3/4 oz yellow chartreuse (instead of green)
    3/4 oz lime juice

it actually kind of works. worth giving a try anyways. kind of on the sweet side, but i guess i could up the kirsch proportion. it's the first drink i've had besides the singapore sling where Heering feels like a positive contributor.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    liquor stores sell bitters in Boston.

and anything higher proof than 20-something is distilled.

i think that bitters and cooking wine just get exceptions from a lot of liquor licensing laws because you really can't drink them straight. same with mouthwash.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    JebusUD wrote: »

Bitters are steeped in grain alcohol. It uses the distilled alcohol as a solvent, and used to be considered medicinal. Basically, you would never drink a bottle of bitters unless you were looking for the 19th century equivalent of robo-trippin.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    liquor stores sell bitters in Boston.

and anything higher proof than 20-something is distilled.

i think that bitters and cooking wine just get exceptions from a lot of liquor licensing laws because you really can't drink them straight. same with mouthwash.

That might be because of MA's weird "Package Store" laws.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    so pods have you tried fernet branca?

does it ever get better?

it really felt like getting punched in the mouth my angry ricolas

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Bitters are steeped in grain alcohol. It uses the distilled alcohol as a solvent, and used to be considered medicinal. Basically, you would never drink a bottle of bitters unless you were looking for the 19th century equivalent of robo-trippin.

Right. So it does contain distilled alcohol. It is just nasty tasting on its own, so no one would straight up drink a bunch of it. Though it does appear some people do as a digestif.

JebusUD on
  • Options
    AdrienAdrien Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So... 190 proof Everclear. Best alcohol, or just alcohol?

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Adrien wrote: »

Just alcohol. Seriously, that is pretty much all it is.

Drinking it straight would be nasty.

JebusUD on
  • Options
    AdrienAdrien Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Adrien wrote: »

Just alcohol. Seriously, that is pretty much all it is.

Drinking it straight would be nasty.

Oh, I know what it is. I'm pulling for best :P

And yeah, it is.

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    It's apparently all but impossible to get alcohol much above 192 proof.

Like, infinite series of distilling at atmospheric pressure will lead to 192 proof liquor.

Maybe you could trick the boiling point phase with exotic pressures i don't know.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
This discussion has been closed.